[3DS] Have you found good use of the 3D function, for some games?

Junkhead

I think people hardly use the 3D function, when it comes to the 3DS. I think it's because it takes some time to get used to it, causes a bit of eyestrain/headaches and it can be outright uncomfterble to play with.

I think I found a cool and fun use to it, when it comes to Zelda OoT 3D. It feels pretty immersive and the game isn't exactly fast-paced (which can be uncomfterble, if that's the case). I defenitely don't use it for a game like Sonic Generations, because it's pretty fast in itself. I'd use it for FE13, but at the moment, I have found it a bit uncomfterble for that one, as well. I'll take another look at it, there.

So? Found any games that can make actual use of it? I thought I might as well, since it's just there...obviously, not necessary. But it seems there are games that can put it to actual use.

Super Mario 3D Land works well with it. The downside is that it is pretty much needed. Platforming doesn't always feel fair without it.

I got the impression that it also adds a lot to Kid Icarus: Uprising and Monster Hunter 3U.

Edited by BrightBow

Hopefully without sounding too obvious, but Awakening has some really nice battle effects in 3D. Really, really nice stuff.

I almost always play with the 3D on at full, except when I'm in vehicles since it's harder to get the depth right consistently and it drains the battery slightly faster as well. I really like the feature, it adds an extra dimension to the graphics (literally). I've never had any problems with my eyes hurting or anything like that, even on days when I've played like 8+ hours of 3DS.

As an aside, 3DS games I've played and my thoughts on their 3DS:

Luigi's Mansion 2: Very pretty. Works nicely.

Awakening: See above.

Pokemon X: They were lazy with this one. Lots of things don't have 3D and even the ones that do aren't great quality.

A Link Between Worlds: I don't remember anything especially standing out in this, but I seem to remember the game looking good. Seeing 2D paintings of Link in 3D was quite something as well.

Bravely Default: Still in the middle of this one. They add quite a bit of life to the overworld, the cities and the battles. Also the AR movie.

Edited by Tables

I didn't even know there was a mid option before max...I thought you just hit the switch all the way to the top and THAT's when it activates.

3D is great. Loved it in Super Mario 3D land, OOT 3D, Awakening and A link between worlds. And it doesnt hurt my eyes at all. It was a bit hard to get used to the first time though.

Edited by PKL

Kirby Triple Deluxe actually works really well with the 3D. It not only makes the graphics look really nice in the game, but it also gives you a sense of depth perception that other games don't really have. It's very cool.

I only used the 3D function for:

- The rendered movies in FE13

- Bravely Default. The effect is great for the cutscenes and the cities.

I like it a lot, it's pretty awesome. I don't always use it but I tend to turn it on to see how good it is and use it for as long as I can handle it (using it more than like 45-60 minutes tends to be a bit of a drag on the eyes/brain).

Part of the problem is that a lot of people don't know how to hold it to get the best depth perception, which is something that sort of comes with practice (I can manage to get it right pretty naturally now, even when I'm lying down on my side, haha).

As far as gameplay goes, it's mostly not useful and is more of a visual effect, but games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team have some *great* usage of 3D where it's seriously visually stunning, so it all depends on how much effort is put into the effect and such, which differs from game to game.

I think people are missing out a bit if they don't use the 3D, but it's not a *huge* deal--it's not like turning off the sound or something. At the very least I'd suggest trying to use it during boss battles or such--that way it's not strenuous if you don't have a lot of tolerance for 3D but at the same time you get to feel like you experienced it and what makes it cool and such. (I mean, it IS part of the selling point of the 3DS and some of the included applications like the 3D camera [which honestly isn't even that good lol], I think never making use of it is kind of a waste/calls more for a 2DS at this point haha.)

I like it a lot, it's pretty awesome. I don't always use it but I tend to turn it on to see how good it is and use it for as long as I can handle it (using it more than like 45-60 minutes tends to be a bit of a drag on the eyes/brain).

Part of the problem is that a lot of people don't know how to hold it to get the best depth perception, which is something that sort of comes with practice (I can manage to get it right pretty naturally now, even when I'm lying down on my side, haha).

As far as gameplay goes, it's mostly not useful and is more of a visual effect, but games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team have some *great* usage of 3D where it's seriously visually stunning, so it all depends on how much effort is put into the effect and such, which differs from game to game.

I think people are missing out a bit if they don't use the 3D, but it's not a *huge* deal--it's not like turning off the sound or something. At the very least I'd suggest trying to use it during boss battles or such--that way it's not strenuous if you don't have a lot of tolerance for 3D but at the same time you get to feel like you experienced it and what makes it cool and such. (I mean, it IS part of the selling point of the 3DS and some of the included applications like the 3D camera [which honestly isn't even that good lol], I think never making use of it is kind of a waste/calls more for a 2DS at this point haha.)

Nice points all around. 08

Sometimes I have trouble "feeling" the 3D depth...what you said, may be why. I sometimes force myself to try to "feel" it, lol.

I use 3D in basically every game. It has never hurt my eyes, even after extended play, so I really don't see a downside for me. The only game I don't use it often in is Pokemon, since it lags unbearably with 3D on.

I think the 3D is a lame gimmick. If I ever do decide to turn it on, I'm never holding my 3DS in the right position for it to work, so I have to spend several minutes moving it around to get it to look right. Also, it drains the battery faster.

If I had waited to get a 3DS instead of getting one right before the Awakening release, I probably would have gone with a 2DS instead, though that would be harder to keep in my pocket whenever I go to McDonald's, Starbucks, or Best Buy.

Edited by ClevelandSteve