I still don't get the praise of this game...

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanics wise, it's an extremely well done game. It's complicated enough to be deep, without being over-complicated, and the mechanics fit into a (mostly) cohesive whole. The customization is extensive without being paralyzing, and there's a difficulty mode for everyone, from "turn off your brain" to "outright masochistic" with most of the bases in between covered. Sure the story stinks, but that's what cut-scene skip is for. Additionally, the characters might be anime steriotypes, but they are still mostly well written. As such, this game has something for almost every play-style For example, i mostly play this game as a break between work and harder games(like thracia), so i enjoy the easier difficulties. Other people, however, like the harder difficulties, and that's fine. As for the fandom, that is unfortunate, but the fandom of an obgect do not kill the fun of that object itself (the more annoying parts of homestuck's or pokemon's fandom do not kill the (substantial) enjoyment of homestuck or pokemon for me.) Fire emblem actualy has it much better, as people who dislike awakening can simply ignore the awakening board (and some of general fire emblem). Many of this site's other boards are still prety buissy and those that are not flare up when an interesting topic is being discussed, like is happening right now with the "is mider a gordon" topic. That being said, if fe14 turns out to be too much like awakening, i might not even buy it, because although awakening is great, one of it is enough.

I burned myself out. I think I've written my thoughts on why I dislike Awakening several times. But one big factor of my dislike would be that I played too much of it. Over 300 hours in a matter of months. Now I can't even get past Prologue without getting bored. I've played the game to the end only twice. Every other time, I plan out my pairings, grind skills for them, get the kids nad get bored. So I delete the file and start again. And get bored again. The story and characters were awful but the gameplay was fun while it lasted.

I burned myself out. I think I've written my thoughts on why I dislike Awakening several times. But one big factor of my dislike would be that I played too much of it. Over 300 hours in a matter of months. Now I can't even get past Prologue without getting bored. I've played the game to the end only twice. Every other time, I plan out my pairings, grind skills for them, get the kids nad get bored. So I delete the file and start again. And get bored again. The story and characters were awful but the gameplay was fun while it lasted.

That's how I was around this time last year. Then I took a really long break from it, played Luigi's Mansion, Snake Eater 3D, and other games while I lent the game to a friend. I also finally got to play FE7 again when I got my own copy, so that might have helped.

I came back to Awakening with a fresh perspective and realized that despite its story suffering when viewed beyond surface level and some of the gameplay elements being a little too easily manipulated to destroy difficulty, the things about the game that were good were so good that it more than made up for it.

Story sucks, but the characters are great (for the most part). Gameplay can be a little too easy, so place restrictions on yourself (ie: no reclass, no pair up, etc.).

Honestly, I dont get why people (you, TC) care so much.

And if you wonder why I still bother woth a game I disslike, it's ssb4 conversations that usually go somewhere "...of course they must, it's the best game in the series...".

I wouldn't, if it didn't come in ssb4 conversations about charactersn "it's the best in the series". And I really hope I can stop caring about it after ssb4 is released.

(btw its fun. I hope my fun is not diminishing your life somehow. :(( )

It's your favourite, I can't argue with that, people have different tastes and I just happen to not enjoy it, if you do, go wild, I don't see why I would have to care.

Doesn't seem to stop many of the same people who hate FE13 from praising FE10 as a good game.

... the only argument I have here about fe 10 here, is that I happened to enjoy the gameplay more... so I don't se how I come off as saying "this game is supperior in every way"...

Thats why people praise it. They had fun with it. I will never understand why people abhor this game so vocally and condemn those who did enjoy it as "stupid casuals". The only thing really wrong with the game is its Glurgey Story.

I would have stoped caring, I don't know why you think I would keep going to a game I don't think is that good, if it wans't that it's still brought into conversations about ssb4, which I do care about.

i don't have a similar feeling, but then again i didn't play the game to death to begin with. well, at least i don't count 152 hrs "to death." however, i also haven't played in months anyway.

I wouldn't say I played it to death, I have about 100 hours on it, and that is including the time my brother played, and my playtroughs were on hard, lunatic and lunatic+, but that one I never finnished, I got to the, "I'm done" feeling with this game.

Story sucks, but the characters are great (for the most part). Gameplay can be a little too easy, so place restrictions on yourself (ie: no reclass, no pair up, etc.).

Agree on the first one.

The characters, their personalites are far to much anime like for me to enjoy, if you like anime, sure, I just happen not to be a big fan of anime, if you happen to like them, good for you.

The gameplay, here is the thing, I don't like when I have to restrict myself, I want to be able to go full out, yes grinding has been a problem in earlier fe:s, but never to this extent that has been made possible trough second seals. If I have to put the callenge there myself it feels like the developers failed to do so.

Edited by Integrity

Reading people say that the game is "too anime" for their tastes always makes my tummy ache a bit. It's not anime to have characters with forceful, yet paper-thin personalities and no actual character behind that. It's just crappy writing. Not that this applies to all characters but even the ones with character are horrible wasted here. Like, Virion doesn't even get a boss convo with Wallhart, the guy who drove him to leave his people and his homeland.

Edited by BrightBow

so I don't se how I come off as saying "this game is supperior in every way"...

If you're not among those "many people" my statement was directed at, then I never implied you did. No need to get defensive.

(Personally, I strongly disagree with FE10 having better gameplay, as it had terrible balance and a lot of really BS mechanics. Complexity just for complexity's sake is not a good thing. But that's as much just my opinion as it is yours that FE10's gameplay was better than FE13's, and this topic is probably not the place to discuss that in more detail.)

I wouldn't, if it didn't come in ssb4 conversations about charactersn "it's the best in the series". And I really hope I can stop caring about it after ssb4 is released.

It's your favourite, I can't argue with that, people have different tastes and I just happen to not enjoy it, if you do, go wild, I don't see why I would have to care.

I would have stoped caring, I don't know why you think I would keep going to a game I don't think is that good, if it wans't that it's still brought into conversations about ssb4, which I do care about.

My question was trying to get at less surface issues. Okay so if you were irked about some people’s opinions during a SSB4 discussion. I'm irked by these kinds of topics.

Why do you care so much about what others think? (to the point of whining about it. Like, afaik, every post of yours in this forum is somewhat to that extent)

Why do you feel the need to make this topic (here in SF) if you already claim to know the nature of game preference, which is subjective and relative? (btw, “best” is not objective either, in colloquial use)

You're obviously free to do so, but I'm not sure what kind of (non-trivial) answers you were expecting.

(if we want to get meta, I’m actually curious why people make topics in the realm of “why do people like what I don’t like?”, particularly if they probably know the trivial answer. And a very small percentage of my posts are to this extent, and are always reactionary to something.)

Edited by XeKr

My question was trying to get at less surface issues. Okay so if you were irked about some people’s opinions during a SSB4 discussion. I'm irked by these kinds of topics.

More anoyed than irked but yes, and really? when you put it that way, "if you don't like it ignore it", make an example by doing exatly that.

Why do you care so much about what others think? (to the point of whining about it. Like, afaik, every post of yours in this forum is somewhat to that extent)

Because it's a discussion in which I participate in, and really... whining, I know I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but I say I don't get the praise the game is getting and asking people if they can shed some light on it by telling me why they liked it.

And the last thing, I'm aware of, and I hate myself for that, cause I don't want to hate the game, I really don't, and in this topic, there are responses, where I do see why people like the game and why don't see a need to respond to them... most of the time.

Why do you feel the need to make this topic (here in SF) if you already claim to know the nature of game preference, which is subjective and relative? (btw, “best” is not objective either, in colloquial use)

To simplify what I'm trying to ask (which I admittedly did a poor job in the opening post), what made the game enjoyable to you, to understand a bit better what people think of the game and understand where the praise is coming from, and I will try to seem less condecending in future, sorry if I have seemed that way.

And I have my game prefrences and you have yours, thats why I say I can't argue about a game when they say it's their favourite because there is no argument to be had, they just enjoy the game and it's their favourite.

Best, the quality of something can be argued, how good a game is you can analyze in things like story, characters & gameplay, but that doesen't nececarily mean it's gonna be enjoyable or memorable even though it might be good... I don't know if that made any sense...

Thats why reviews exist, and there are games that good reviewers have dissected and got my mind to change about a game, and I 'm mean from dislike -> like.

(if we want to get meta, I’m actually curious why people make topics in the realm of “why do people like what I don’t like?”, particularly if they probably know the trivial answer. And a very small percentage of my posts are to this extent, and are always reactionary to something.)

... again, if people say something is their favourite, sure they like it I can't argue with that, they enjoy it, what more is there to be said, but when someone says something is the best, there are things that can be weight in how good it does it's job.

Like if you take my signature for example (since I have favourite fe game: N/A), where I state my favourite characters, it's my opinion, they might not be the best developed, most usefull or anything like that, but I happen to still enjoy them, and simply that does not make them the best fe characters.

I explained in that very post why I was posting about something specific I was curious about. I wasn't sure why you post incessantly about something you dislike. (It's the nature and direction of the dialogue, which was unclear from your title, op, and past posts. I think you eventually clarified, though, and I think that's a more worthwhile conversation)

I agree with you that “favorite” is subtly different from “best” yet they are often conflated (not too surprising, tho). Some of your statements still read (to me) that you consider “best” to be objective in some way, which is a little puzzling (or I'm misunderstanding).

For a slightly more relevant example, I think FE13 has better and more streamlined tactical/strategic design and don’t miss a lot of mechanics that people mention that I would consider to be flavor, or nostalgia.

Edited by XeKr

Meh, in my eyes, Awakening is all style, no substance.

usually I like to just leave these things be but

Over 300 hours in a matter of months.

you played more FE13 than I have played Crusader Kings 2, a game with mathematically infinitely more depth, and I guess it was all the flashy lights and you'll BEGRUDGINGLY CONCEDE fun gameplay that kept you coming back for three hundred hours? Do you have any concept of what that kind of time actually means?

you played more FE13 than I have played Crusader Kings 2, a game with mathematically infinitely more depth, and I guess it was all the flashy lights and you'll BEGRUDGINGLY CONCEDE fun gameplay that kept you coming back for three hundred hours? Do you have any concept of what that kind of time actually means?

You'd probably save yourself some money playing Excel instead if you wanted to play statsheets.

You'd probably save yourself some money playing Excel instead if you wanted to play statsheets.

statsheets with meaning and actual gameplay mechanics are fun as opposed to excel which is usually, you know, work

Edited by Tryhard

usually I like to just leave these things be butyou played more FE13 than I have played Crusader Kings 2, a game with mathematically infinitely more depth, and I guess it was all the flashy lights and you'll BEGRUDGINGLY CONCEDE fun gameplay that kept you coming back for three hundred hours? Do you have any concept of what that kind of time actually means?

I log that much time into power much every game I play because I don't buy a lot of games. Pokémon Y and Awakening are the only games I bought in the last year. So when i buy any game, I play it as much as I can. 300 hours is what it says in my Activity Log. Planning out pairings and skills combinations is fun but after I've actually recruited the kids, I lose my desire to actually finish the game on that save file.

I think it's because this game brought a lot of new gamers, like me, to the series. Before Awakening, I'd never heard of FE, and wasn't that big on handheld console games apart from Pokemon. But I saw all the hype Awakening was getting, and saw a few people who I had common tastes with enjoying the game, so I decided to get it when I got a 3DS for Christmas. I certainly enjoyed it. Is the story bad? Yes, it is. It still makes some sense if you don't dig too deep into it, which I didn't on my first playthrough. On the second, I analysed it a bit more, but still enjoyed it. I find most of the characters engaging enough (if not likeable), and their interactions made the first playthrough really fun, since I'd not really seen that in a game outside of Bioware's works.

Basically, it's by no means a perfect game, but it widens the audience and brings in new blood who will, like me, be sticking around for the next game. Since from what I've read, Awakening saved the series, hopefully next time they'll have the time and resources to create a much stronger story thanks to the reception Awakening had.

Like others have already mentioned, Awakening has introduced a "casual" side to the series, being more flexible and easier than some of the other games. I don't enjoy it as much as I did before, with some of the more glaring issues sticking out to me. I feel like the marriage system ruined it for me after a while, especially since a lot of the fan base over glorified it.

Edited by DragonLord

This...is not my problem. Nor is it the problem of the fans of Awakening. This is your problem for caring too much about other people's fun and giving so much of a shit about Smash 4. People suggest bullshit characters for Smash all the goddamn time. My shits. I could give none. Time for you to learn to do the same.

Reading people say that the game is "too anime" for their tastes always makes my tummy ache a bit. It's not anime to have characters with forceful, yet paper-thin personalities and no actual character behind that. It's just crappy writing. Not that this applies to all characters but even the ones with character are horrible wasted here. Like, Virion doesn't even get a boss convo with Wallhart, the guy who drove him to leave his people and his homeland.

Virion actually should have been a lord in the game. If Avatar wasnt the resident tactician, Virion probably would have been in that role. There is a lot of potential there that is wasted, but it does not diminish my fun with the game overall. Thats what headcanons are for.

I log that much time into power much every game I play because I don't buy a lot of games. Pokémon Y and Awakening are the only games I bought in the last year. So when i buy any game, I play it as much as I can. 300 hours is what it says in my Activity Log. Planning out pairings and skills combinations is fun but after I've actually recruited the kids, I lose my desire to actually finish the game on that save file.

And? I dont buy games much at all these days. Ill drop 40 quid on a 3DS game but i choose wisely. And yet i dont think ive clocked that many hours into my Awakening game. I know Awakening and Animal Crossing are duking it out for the top spot of Most Playtime on my Log. The point is, while you may have burned out (understandable), you are still shit talking a game you poured more hours in it than other people who also dont play or buy a lot of games.

Awakening has introduced a "casual" side to the series, being more flexible and easier than some of the other games.

Im failing to see how this is at all, a negative. If you counter with "filthy casuals", then theres really nothing left for any of us to discuss with you or anyone else who thinks that ways. Kinda wish that bullshit would get out of my fandom(s).

This...is not my problem. Nor is it the problem of the fans of Awakening. This is your problem for caring too much about other people's fun and giving so much of a shit about Smash 4. People suggest bullshit characters for Smash all the goddamn time. My shits. I could give none. Time for you to learn to do the same.

So because I don't happen to like or really care about awakening, I'm not alowed to do so with ssb4?

And yeah there are a lot of characters that are complete BS that I ignore... allthough I think most of 'em are joking? don't know...

The thing is, if I am a participant in said conversation, I care, if I watch from the sidelines, I can ignore it, and the conversations usually don't start in that matter.

Virion actually should have been a lord in the game. If Avatar wasnt the resident tactician, Virion probably would have been in that role. There is a lot of potential there that is wasted, but it does not diminish my fun with the game overall. Thats what headcanons are for.

And this I actually agre with... yeah, nothing else to say here...

If you played 300 hours in 3 months, then I can see how you burned out. I was at about 100-150 when I burned out last year, so I probably wasn't burnt out to the same extent.

... again, if people say something is their favourite, sure they like it I can't argue with that, they enjoy it, what more is there to be said, but when someone says something is the best, there are things that can be weight in how good it does it's job.

Like if you take my signature for example (since I have favourite fe game: N/A), where I state my favourite characters, it's my opinion, they might not be the best developed, most usefull or anything like that, but I happen to still enjoy them, and simply that does not make them the best fe characters.

AAAAND STOP!

If something is the best in my opinion, that's all that it means. I think it's the best, and trying to argue me down from my own subjective opinion will end badly. Now, if you don't agree, that's fine and peachy. You're entitled to your opinion of the quality of any and all FE games. What will get on my nerves is whining about other people's opinions about something like this. While I don't mind the premise about asking what people liked about the game, to try to judge something this subjective based on word choice doesn't sit right with me.

As for what I like about this game. . .pure nostalgia and customization. I can warp some pretty nifty "blank slates" from past games, and turn them into whatever I want, whether it be the second coming of Berserker!Etzel or making Sophia not-useless. If I want them to have some lines, I can fire up some DLC for convos. Some of them also get skills that are near-impossible to get on other units (hello Brom). Whoever decided to put the past guys in this game has my heartfelt thanks.

If I have to put the callenge there myself it feels like the developers failed to do so.

Really? It feels to me like the Devs gave me room to add challenge myself. Almost every single game I've considered to be one of my all-time favorites (OoT, TTYD, Awakening) has an incredible amount of room for the player to customize their playstyle, add or remove challenge, and go about clearing the game in whatever way they please. Many games that I tend to dislike (Sticker Star, to an extent Skyward Sword) have no room for this. If every playthrough felt the same, sure, I'd get burned out too.

In regards to any story complaints, I got Awakening shortly after I finished Sticker Star and am probably a lot more forgiving of the story than it deserves. It's riddled with plotholes and cliches, but at least it exists.

Really? It feels to me like the Devs gave me room to add challenge myself. Almost every single game I've considered to be one of my all-time favorites (OoT, TTYD, Awakening) has an incredible amount of room for the player to customize their playstyle, add or remove challenge, and go about clearing the game in whatever way they please. Many games that I tend to dislike (Sticker Star, to an extent Skyward Sword) have no room for this. If every playthrough felt the same, sure, I'd get burned out too.

Generally, I'd agree but when you need to ignore almost all of the heavily advertized features of the game to have anything challenging, something's not right.

FE:A just feels really...lazy and threadbare, to me anyway. Like they've taken everything Fire Emblem did reasonably well and replaced it with shipping fuel and fanservice.

To me it seems more like taking the good parts of the old games and puting them into one game without understanding what made them good to begin with, but thats me