Why does everyone on youtube hate English dubs?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(male) necks can actually be a lot longer than people tend to notice, though

You're probably right, but I think for Junpei himself it just looks really off. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

So what are your guys' opinions on people that watch RAWs instead of subs?

With FLAC compression for audio quality? (NO OGG Vorbis or any other lossy sound compression)

You hear the best of the VA...

p sure everyone everywhere hates any kind of dubsteb, English or not, and they are fucking with you if they claim otherwise

some possibly-biased music people source has told me that before dubstep came to the u.s./west, it tended to be a much lighter kind of distortion in the area where it originated, which IIRC was somewhere in a kinda Caribbean area as some kind of reggae offshoot maybe? then when we got into it over here a lot of it became about an implicit (possibly explicit on occasion) contest to make the ugliest, loudest sounds possible

I don't even know if I hate dubstep (general dubstep, not the asinine competitive stuff you've mentioned), but it would be nice if people would shut the fuck up about it and learn to not make it such a big deal like they have with more traditional genres of music.

as for the actual topic dubs are p sweet muh u lyin' if you think otherwise BUT I still prefer subs just because it feels more authentic

I'm KIND OF... KIND OF miffed at you for bringing up "that one dub" I hate with a burning passion. xD

lel. Its really the only dub i have issues with. I was ok with the Sailor Moon one even after seeing the originals.

I heard that they had to change Excel's voice actor because the original one damaged her voice trying to talk all hyper and shit.

Yeah. She busted her vocal chords cuz Excel motormouths really high pitched.

Well its either

A) They are weeaboos

B) They've seen some of the worse dubs out there. The dub for Dragon Ball Z immediately comes to mind.

And then it just kinda comes down to how hard it is to dub something and still make it sound natural. Not many dubs can really pull it off.

Another bonus of subs is that people who can hear it but aren't watching cant understand anything.

That's even more embarrassing if you happen to be watching one of those "awkward" possibly fanservicy moments... and Japanese voice actresses exaggerate certain "moments".

Whoever is overhearing you might think you're watching hentai.

Do people actually do this?

The one example I have in mind is the localization of Atelier Ayesha. Previous games of the series had dual voices, the localizing company changed and they made it dubs only. People on gamefaqs got mad and boycotted the game. The company listened to their whining though and atelier escha came out in japanese and english

The one example I have in mind is the localization of Atelier Ayesha. Previous games of the series had dual voices, the localizing company changed and they made it dubs only. People on gamefaqs got mad and boycotted the game. The company listened to their whining though and atelier escha came out in japanese and english

That's not so bad since the game originally had both options. Doesn't make sense to remove a language, does it?

That's not so bad since the game originally had both options. Doesn't make sense to remove a language, does it?

I understand that this is a bit of a peculiar situation. Also in the previous ps3 games everything was voiced in Japanese where as in english only the main story parts were. What I disliked was how entitled the people were and how they completely ignored the cost issues and how much of a minority the Japanese voices only people were. There are some worse examples but that's all that comes to mind honestly

Edited by Safyrya

I'll watch dubs if the dubs aren't so bad they actually hurt my ears but even with dubs I'd rather have them subbed since my hearing isn't very good in the first place and I have trouble distinguishing words clearly if it's not loud enough, though I can hear sounds and pitch and tone perfectly normal I will most likely miss some dialogue if there's no subtitles regardless whether or not I know the language

I do this with anything, if it has subtitles I'm going to put in subtitles. I get mad at AC1 because it has no subtitles, even though it is in English.

Originals are generally better since they're the language of the source content and it's probably closest to what the creator wants, and some things don't always translate over well which you can put in some translators notes into subs but doesn't work in dubs, which doesn't mean that dubs necessarily are poor in quality at all, but most of the time I'd prefer originals. There's cases where the original voices are really fucking annoying and the dub is better on my ears personally, though. So there's that.

The majority of Chinese dubs of korean dramas I've came across though

have atrocious dubs

There's a certain way they sound that's utterly unnatural and if you're natively fluent in Chinese and have came across enough k-dramas (I don't personally watch any, but my mom does on the TV so it's unavoidable) you'd probably be able to tell this really distinguishing way that they sound

and it's just

urgh

Edited by Thor Odinson

I understand that this is a bit of a peculiar situation. Also in the previous ps3 games everything was voiced in Japanese where as in english only the main story parts were. What I disliked was how entitled the people were and how they completely ignored the cost issues and how much of a minority the Japanese voices only people were. There are some worse examples but that's all that comes to mind honestly

You have to understand that most of the time (pretty much 99% of the time at this point, really), when the original Japanese voice-acting is removed from a game during localization, it's done out of necessity, NOT by choice. NO publisher is going to remove the original voice track if there exists an option to keep it -- there'd be no reason to, after all! But I speak from personal experience when I tell you that there are many, many times where publishers aren't given any choice in the matter whatsoever. Technical limitations and storage space aren't the only factors, either -- there's also that dreaded specter known as LICENSING. Sadly, everyone who's ever spoken a line of dialogue or sung a phrase of music in a video game signed a contract of some sort... and some of those contracts, ESPECIALLY in Japan, can be pretty draconian when you get down to the fine print. It's not at all uncommon for a Japanese voice-actor to record his/her voice for a game under the stipulation that it ONLY be used within the country of Japan, making it ILLEGAL to use those lines anywhere else in the world.

...people don't realize this, sadly.

There's a certain way they sound that's utterly unnatural and if you're natively fluent in Chinese and have came across enough k-dramas (I don't personally watch any, but my mom does on the TV so it's unavoidable) you'd probably be able to tell this really distinguishing way that they sound

and it's just

urgh

the actual k-dramas aren't that much better. granted, I haven't listened to any Chinese dubs but my mom watches them in Korean all the time and and 90% I walk in on people screaming at each other for arbitrary reasons

Xenoblade UK dub >>>>> Xenoblade in Japanese. Get at me.

I wish there was a way to choose which characters are Japanese and which are English at the same time. Dunban's English actor is really superior, but I like Japanese Reyn way more than the guy that plays him in English.

Also this reminds me I have to go and beat that game thanks. :B

the actual k-dramas aren't that much better. granted, I haven't listened to any Chinese dubs but my mom watches them in Korean all the time and and 90% I walk in on people screaming at each other for arbitrary reasons

I haven't listened to them in Korean so I wouldn't know haha

There's just this weird and extremely unnatural aura around Chinese dubs of Kdramas but it's so hard to describe urrrgh

This, basically. I can't stand 99% of the Korean drama that I keep on walking in on.

I wish there was a way to choose which characters are Japanese and which are English at the same time. Dunban's English actor is really superior, but I like Japanese Reyn way more than the guy that plays him in English.

Also this reminds me I have to go and beat that game thanks. :B

Reyn's accent and lines are just fantastic with how funny they are. Ive grown way too attached to his English voice acting. Melia is also really amazing in English and you can tell how much more "posh" she is compared to the others if you know your shit. I wouldnt be able to handle Riki in Japanese. No wai. I hate squeaky voices and Riki is squeakier in Japanese. Plus in battle, when Riki says "Riki no like this" is hilariously cute in English. Fiora's voice in English reminds me of Maisie Williams. They have the same accent.