Are Shiva and Galzus' recruitment affected by being captured?

Logience

That's probably it, indeed.

I just checked using the compare feature in a hex editer, and both roms appear identical after the fan translation has been applied (exepting the header). It appears that the fan translation is of the rom version and the translater also made a patch that turns the np version into the translated rom version, in case all you had was the np version. Since i assume that all of you were playing on the fan translation, the version that your rom originally was makes no difference, as the fan translation makes both the same thing.

Edited by sirmola

i play without a translation

That's also important, because this difference might possibly be due to a translation bug. what version are you using? rom or np? the md5 checksum for the np version is 26BE9C87AAC0CB3D3AF5DFFB4E6AA059 and the md5 checksum for the headered rom version is 8E3C9D515C328DAB3CA539CCF6F96810, and that for the unheadered rom version is C3FD1CAD754256D7A013864D917F47FA Also, the file name often states weather it is the np or rom version, (in this case, the header does not actualy matter, as the code is the same). It would help if as many people as posible who experienced this would state what version of the game they were playing (counting the fan translation as seperate in case it introduced a bug), and state weather you had shiva/glazus appear after releasing them. Hopefully we can get to the root of the issue for future reference. (as for me, i have never released them. )

I just checked using the compare feature in a hex editer, and both roms appear identical after the fan translation has been applied (exepting the header). It appears that the fan translation is of the rom version and the translater also made a patch that turns the np version into the translated rom version, in case all you had was the np version. Since i assume that all of you were playing on the fan translation, the version that your rom originally was makes no difference, as the fan translation makes both the same thing.

i play without a translation

I've never played the translation, either.

That's also important, because this difference might possibly be due to a translation bug. what version are you using? rom or np? the md5 checksum for the np version is 26BE9C87AAC0CB3D3AF5DFFB4E6AA059 and the md5 checksum for the headered rom version is 8E3C9D515C328DAB3CA539CCF6F96810, and that for the unheadered rom version is C3FD1CAD754256D7A013864D917F47FA Also, the file name often states weather it is the np or rom version, (in this case, the header does not actualy matter, as the code is the same). It would help if as many people as posible who experienced this would state what version of the game they were playing (counting the fan translation as seperate in case it introduced a bug), and state weather you had shiva/glazus appear after releasing them. Hopefully we can get to the root of the issue for future reference. (as for me, i have never released them. )

It's probably a difference between the NP and ROM versions. I doubt it's a translation bug. Edited by TheEnd

Oh, one more nitpick about the game itself: I'm all for keeping flaws intact for the sake of retro, but a cap of 20 on everything is bad enough, especially with the whole "conjoining magic and resistance into one stat" thing. You didn't have to make it worse by letting stats continue to level up fruitlessly after hitting the cap, IS. I thought you were working with the FE4 engine here.

It's for mounted units, I believe. If they level up a stat past their cap while mounted, they retain their gains while dismounted, potentially negating the penalties. Imagine needing to dismount every time you wanted to cap a stat.

It's for mounted units, I believe. If they level up a stat past their cap while mounted, they retain their gains while dismounted, potentially negating the penalties. Imagine needing to dismount every time you wanted to cap a stat.

Wouldn't it just be easier to let mounted units' stats be unaffected by mount status beyond build?

It's probably a difference between the NP and ROM versions. I doubt it's a translation bug.

Which is why i asked what version you played. Upon obtaining data, we will probably find that it is a difference between rom and np versions, and that the fan translation counts as the rom version for this purpose. However, one can never be sure untill one has collected data, so as long as i am doing so, i might as well ask weather the fan translation was used, just in case.

Edited by sirmola

New random question that's easily answered: Are Ballisticians catchable? Because I was thinking of doing a pacifist run of Chapter 10 for shits and giggles.

New random question that's easily answered: Are Ballisticians catchable? Because I was thinking of doing a pacifist run of Chapter 10 for shits and giggles.

I'v never tried myself, but i remember hearing that you could (although balistas are restricted to that class, they sell for a decent amount at least)

Edited by sirmola

All the ballisticans I've ever seen had 20 con, and no one could catch them due to that. If there are any with less, I don't see why not.

Their weaponry has 20 weight, but the units themselves seem to waver around 9-10 build.

Their weaponry has 20 weight, but the units themselves seem to waver around 9-10 build.

Either weapon weight affects build, or I am mistaken about the class that we are talking about. (I really have no idea here, maybe it's even an issue with the patch I'm using?)

tVL8RE2.png (This guy is asleep)

I have stolen ballistae weapons with the thief staff though lol

Edited by L95

I have stolen ballistae weapons with the thief staff though lol

I checked the website, and poison balistas have 20 build, but all others (iron,long, killer) have 6, so they are defenatly capturable (also, all autoleveled balista enemies have 0% build growth..

I checked the website, and poison balistas have 20 build, but all others (iron,long, killer) have 6, so they are defenatly capturable (also, all autoleveled balista enemies have 0% build growth..

whatever site says that is lying, as no type of long arch has under 20 build, they are uncapturable

whatever site says that is lying, as no type of long arch has under 20 build, they are uncapturable

How do you take screencaps?

If that doesn't work (I'm pretty sure many emulators have a screenshot function, though) you can also push the prt sc (print screen, takes an image of your screen and puts it on the clipboard) button then paste the image into paint. Then crop.

Edited by L95

If that doesn't work (I'm pretty sure many emulators have a screenshot function, though) you can also push the prt sc (print screen, takes an image of your screen and puts it on the clipboard) button then paste the image into paint. Then crop.

Where do I find the screenshots? How do I upload them here? The Img thing is broken.

Edited by Logience

Might seem kind of stupid to ask but, how would one go about capturing Galzus? He has maxed out stats in chapter 6 where I don't think you can even have promoted units. His build is also pretty damn high. Do you steal his weapons or something?

Where do I find the screenshots? How do I upload them here? The Img thing is broken.

Open paint. Right click+paste, then save as. The picture isn't anywhere until you open it in a program and save it, until then it is on your clipboard (the same place copy-pasted text goes) lol

Use Gyazo as suggested or somewhere like Imgur.com

Edited by L95

Might seem kind of stupid to ask but, how would one go about capturing Galzus? He has maxed out stats in chapter 6 where I don't think you can even have promoted units. His build is also pretty damn high. Do you steal his weapons or something?

There's a Knight Crest in a village. A promoted Asvel does a lot of damage with a Graphcalibur critical.

Then you just weaken him with some of the other long ranged weapons you have, namely Leaf's Light Sword, Nanna's Earth Sword and the Fire Sword. Capture using someone on a horse like Fergus. You even get the Hero Sword in the Manster arc just to help for this task.

Edited by Woodshooter

FE5 enemies are so smart in some ways and so very, very dumb in others. It's the most polarizing FE AI ever.