What type of superstitions did your parents create when you were a child.

Jiac

So seeing my little siblings grow up, and from personal experience, my parents would say things just so I don't do anything stupid as a kid.

My dad would tell me when I was 3, if I ate too much sugar, ants would crawl all over me just to eat the sugar off of me when I slept, that scarred me and made me think ants eat humans for a portion of my life. I would be scared to touch an ant, until my father pointed out the size difference and how easy it is to kill them a few weeks after he told me that story.

Yet I turned out just fine and know the real intent when telling me that.

So my question is, what did your parents do to you as superstition just to scare you? In order, to prevent you from performing a specific action.

Edited by Vermilion Zephyr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad would sometimes make this super sweet cake known as Gooey Butter Cake (it's apparently a Kansas City Missouri thing?). Neither me nor my sister cared for it, so we didn't understand why he made it. He told us that it was for the Great Humdinger, a dragon who would throw fruit at you if you didn't give him Gooey Butter Cake. The fruit he threw was seasonal too: in Spring and Summer he threw coconuts while in Fall and Winter he threw oranges.

I can't think of anything. My parents were pretty up front with me about stuff (If you do x, then y will probably happen and when I find out then z will definitely happen). Z was of course the scariest thing and something very easy to demonstrate in reality.

My brother was the one who told me crap lol.

My parents told me that the darkness was something that protected you from the monsters at night. At the time I was afraid of the dark and being alone, but it helped me sleep easier as I got older.

They used to tell me that if I swallowed gum, it would make spiderwebs in my stomach. I really don't see the point of that one.

They also told me that I would always trip if I didn't count stairs when I walked on them, which actually was helpful. I still count stairs.

My parents told me that the darkness was something that protected you from the monsters at night. At the time I was afraid of the dark and being alone, but it helped me sleep easier as I got older.

this is real good and if i have children they will learn this

I don't have any of these but my favourite urban legend as a child was 'eating margarine makes you blind'.

Edited by Parrhesia

They used to tell me that if I swallowed gum, it would make spiderwebs in my stomach. I really don't see the point of that one.

Well, probably because they heard that you can't digest bubble gum. It certainly wouldn't help if you swallowed a lot of gum within a short amount of time, that could do some clogging.

Basically Santa and the Easter Bunny. Which they didn't teach so much as not go out of their way to tell me were false. I mean, I was like six when I asked my dad if the Tooth Fairy really existed, and he told me the truth.

I was told that you make babies when a man and a woman do this weird thing with their private parts. I know the truth now though. The storks make the babies. I've seen it with my eye.

EDIT: Really though, I can't think of any.

Edited by SeverIan

When I was a youngster, I lived in a haunted house. Well, everyone else agrees it was haunted. One of the characters they claimed to see was a "Little girl in a white dress." We'd sometimes lose stuff or it would end up misplaced, and when that happened whoever it happened to would inevitably defend themselves by saying, "the little girl in the white dress must have taken it!" The problem for me is that I was a small child when I lived here, and though now I'm very skeptical of the notion of hauntings, I remember with some clarity seeing this girl and hearing things moved around. Now that I'm older though I can't distinguish what truly happened and what was just my imagination running wild.

When I was a youngster, I lived in a haunted house. Well, everyone else agrees it was haunted. One of the characters they claimed to see was a "Little girl in a white dress." We'd sometimes lose stuff or it would end up misplaced, and when that happened whoever it happened to would inevitably defend themselves by saying, "the little girl in the white dress must have taken it!" The problem for me is that I was a small child when I lived here, and though now I'm very skeptical of the notion of hauntings, I remember with some clarity seeing this girl and hearing things moved around. Now that I'm older though I can't distinguish what truly happened and what was just my imagination running wild.

Maybe there was just a girl living in your house. Not a ghost. Just a normal, living girl.

My great-grandmother would tell me that eating the crust of toast would give me curly hair. I didn't believe it anyway, so I kept eating crust despite not wanting curly hair.

My hair was wavy when I was growing it out long, but never curly. You've been debunked, Gran.