The Tellius games should have been a trilogy.

Path of Radiance could have focused on Ike and the Greil Mercenaries, Radiant Dawn could have focused on Micaiah and the Dawn Brigade (with actual support conversations) and the third game could have been the game that tied the two together.

This would have prevented a lot of problems people had with Radiant Dawn. Looking at it this way, there was a lot of wasted potential.

But the problems were mainly with the gameplay of fe10, rather than the story!

That's subjective, I think the gameplay, mechanics, and maps in FE10 were by far some of the best in the series.

You would have had to expand Part 1 significantly then, and the game that "tied the first two together" would have had to be a significant restructuring and expansion of Part 3, so that the DB and the GMs had approximately equal playtime. I mean, it could be better overall, but that would depend on the nature of these expansions and exactly how the story was changed. What you're basically saying right now is "if we majorly changed the story the story would be better".

And this would mean that the GMs would basically be absent or reduced to cameo-ing in the second game, which probably wouldn't go over amazingly with fans. And, as Alertcircuit points out, Part 2 (which barely fits into FE10 as it is) doesn't really fit anywhere in this plan of your's.

I suppose this is all just an idea to simply give more time to the Dawn Brigade, which they desperately needed within fe10. In terms of story, it's quite an interesting concept to give yourself a chance to fight your own units with other units. However, if one side is given significantly less time than the others, than it all falls to pieces.

As for the story, while it tries to show that just because Ashnard was defeated doesn't mean all lose ends were tied up, it ends up going over the top for no reason.

I personally find the story to be worthwhile up until Yune is released from the medallion. At that point I think it just goes downhill. The reveal that Sephiroth Sephiran is the cause of the mad kings war because he was mad at the Begnion bishops is hard to believe. I'd understand if he specifically targeted Begnion, but no, he decides the whole world is forfeit. Even though Ike stops Ashnard.

You would have had to expand Part 1 significantly then, and the game that "tied the first two together" would have had to be a significant restructuring and expansion of Part 3, so that the DB and the GMs had approximately equal playtime. I mean, it could be better overall, but that would depend on the nature of these expansions and exactly how the story was changed. What you're basically saying right now is "if we majorly changed the story the story would be better".

And this would mean that the GMs would basically be absent or reduced to cameo-ing in the second game, which probably wouldn't go over amazingly with fans. And, as Alertcircuit points out, Part 2 (which barely fits into FE10 as it is) doesn't really fit anywhere in this plan of your's.

Expanding part 1 significantly would have greatly improved the story. Through the narration between chapters, you get a sense that those could have been playable maps as you continue to liberate the Daeins throughout the land. Not to mention with more chapters, the DBs who have tragically poor availability could have had maps that don't completely ruin any potential they have to contribute (FIONA). Maybe Jarod could have become as nuanced as the story wants us to believe before he makes his final stand. The next game could resume with using part 2 as an opener, then jump into part 3. Then there can be something done in part 4 to expand the whole Sephiran vs the corruption of the senators.

Approximately no one believes that.

Upgrade that to approximately nobody including Shin. I wasn't terribly pleased by the gameplay either. The plot I could have probably tolerated, but the gameplay itself is what caused me to shelf the game.

I actually find the Dawn Brigade chapters to be really fun.

Me too. But the DB story IMO is kind of lackluster, and a fair number of the new characters were kinda boring. I'm not seeing a lot of potential from the DB for them to get a whole game to themselves. I think RD is fine as is.

but like... how are you going to expand Part 1? Part 1 just doesn't work as a game by itself without massive restructuring. There's nothing to it except a bunch of Daein people overthrowing Begnion in Daein- simply adding another fifteen Part 1 maps doesn't work. The entire game would take place in just the one country, liberating it part by part, which would make for a highly repetitive and sucky story, arguably worse than the current one. The main characters are rebels so going around to different countries and getting their support like you do in other games isn't a valid expanded story for Part 1.

Part 1 is just a repeat of PoR's storyline anyway. That much is aknowledged by Elincia in Part 2, who described the resemblance as "almost unnatural" and according to Bastian a hint to assume that somebody is pulling their strings.

I'm of the opinion that Ashnard should have been defeated as early as at the Daein capital, followed by the events of Part 4.

The rest of PoR and RD Part 1-3 seem pretty pointless to me. Part 2 is great but it doesn't have much to do with the rest of the game.

The entire game would take place in just the one country, liberating it part by part, which would make for a highly repetitive and sucky story, arguably worse than the current one.

That's simply not true. Suikodens II and V both take place almost exclusively in one country, liberating it part by part as you say, yet they feature some of the best stories I've ever come across in video games. At no point do either of these stories come across as repetitive. Focusing on a single country affords the writers a greater opportunity to flesh out the political spectrum and the various demographics of a country. It makes for a much more detailed story than simply having the protagonists go in, knock around some bad guys, and then move on to the next country to do the same thing.

I agree that the DB getting more screentime would give them more room for character development and give them more equal 'weight' to the GMs, but also agree that there isn't enough content to give them a whole new game without making some major plot revision to Part 1.

I think 3-5 more chapters for the DB could have helped things, but Radiant Dawn is already a pretty long game with a lot of characters so that was probably difficult in game development terms.