Hard mode: you give me tips, and I...

Cancel and Renewal are pretty much pointless I know but what the heck is wrong in mentioning them?

You answered your own question. Because Tales of Hysteria could be mentioning so many more important things.

I gave a SR to Mic yes but for the sole reason that I always end up miscalculating some enemy ranges and get her killed by result.

I find this kinda hilarious tbh. The fact that you're defending Tales of Hysteria even though he gives you tips that make you have to restart your game often. We're here to prevent that, and you're just ignoring our advice when you wouldn't even need to restart as much if you just followed our tips... That's not very good reasoning.

Here's my answer: Then don't use her at all. With the strat I gave you, you never need to use her. At all. You can have her hide in a corner for the rest of the game after 1-9 or have someone carry her as reinforcements come from behind in 1-E and other chapters.

i also recall that drafts rig micaiah's growths to 4-turn 1-9 with resolve.

I don't know about any drafts, but I did that in my 155 turn playthrough:

Edited by Chiki

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everybody should respect everbody's decissions, if they reach the same target.

So calling my advices as "bad" is just a subjective opinion, because everyone has its own playstyle and experience!

If my tips are bad, I can deal with it. And I won't change my playstyle, because it worked at least fo me!

I'm proud to myself that I have beaten HM without any deaths in under 300 turns with all my "bad" strategical decissions.

I won't give tips anymore, because this kind of discussion is not my cup of tea.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

So calling my advices as "bad" is just a subjective opinion, because everyone has its own playstyle and experience!

It's not a subjective (a matter of opinion) that, if one defines "a bad tip" as "needing to restart more" then your tips are bad. Congrats.

I'm pretty sure anyone will agree here that a bad tip is one that makes the person restart more due to that tip. And that's exactly what you made him do.

I'd be pretty pissed off personally if I were in the OPs position. I would be mad at the person who gave me the tips that made me restart more often, and thank the person who gave me tips that made the game easy so I wouldn't need to.

Edited by Chiki

It's not a subjective (a matter of opinion) that, if one defines "a bad tip" as "needing to restart more" then your tips are bad. Congrats.

I'm pretty sure anyone will agree here that a bad tip is one that makes the person restart more due to that tip. And that's exactly what you made him do.

Though where's said that my advices caused the restarts?!

I think everybody should respect everbody's decissions, if they reach the same target.

is there an adjective that succinctly characterizes this sort of thinking whereby notions of good and bad are brushed aside with the excuse of subjectivity?

the first words that come to mind are postmodern and liberal, but i don't think they are very accurate.

Though where's said that my advices caused the restarts?!

You could've advised him not to use Micaiah, and linked him to that strategy if you were capable of giving tips as good as mine.

is there an adjective that succinctly characterizes this sort of thinking whereby notions of good and bad are brushed aside with the excuse of subjectivity?

the first words that come to mind are postmodern and liberal, but i don't think they are very accurate.

"Deconstructivist" is probably the adjective you're looking for. It was coined by a pseudo-philosopher and pseudo-psychologist named Derrida (SF has Makaze, France has Derrida) who claimed that "everything is context" and there is no absolute truth. I hope Tales of Hysteria wasn't influenced by that moron.

Kyza Soren

Needs BEXP to .99 every chapter and Blossom to build stats Caps Mag Skl Res reasonably so he can BEXP spd

Needs to build strike rank Doesnt need to build strike rank

Has to transform Doesnt have to transform

Awkward Part 3 availability Great Part 3 availability

1 range lock 1-2 and even 3-10 range

Bad exp gain Beorc exp gain

Gauge, has to grass No gauge

Free Part 4 route choices Has to go to Greil Army

No good innate abilities Innate Adept (even tho its likely to be off of him)

9 movement 6 move

Laguz terrain penalties Cant go to desert

Lame bases in general Lame spd and def bases

I think Soren wins.

Edited by PJSalt

Pkl how do you write in two columns :o

Good spacing is all :P Except the second column doesnt look well-aligned but details

Edited by PJSalt

stuff that I'm not separating in more quotes because it's 1 AM and I can't be hassed

"Defending ToH"? Dude, where did you even see that? Yes, I gave a SR to Micaiah for the personal reasons I stated that you even quoted, where do you see "defending" anything in there? "Tip that causes you to reset more"? Funny I thought more HP meant resetting less. And yeah, "b-but muh opinions" is what ruined discussions on the internet outside of imageboards, objective facts are definitely a thing, so I'm surely not defending him there lol.

Also all the stuff you mentioned in a previous post (numbered list) I actually did, I gave ED to Jill and I'm waiting to see who turns better with Def on promotion between her and Nolan to see who gets the DS, I gave the SR to Micaiah because, you know, your post was two chapters after I gave those boosters. I'm not referring to you specifically, please don't take offense, but funny how all these people never said before "wait that suggestion is bullshit" but all waited the big argument of the last few days to say it.

Last thing, when did this trend of thinking I'm dumb and only follow shit advice start? Because this all started when I didn't want to 2 turn 1-6-2 because I wanted/needed the Red Gem, the Master Crown and the experience, I had bases under that decision. And then continued when ToH mentioned Renewal and it somehow became my fault.

SOREN IS NOT BETTER THAN KYZA

Is this actually true? I'm pretty curious about this, I've never seen him as nothing more than the usual sign "we need to reach a certain character quota, sincerely IS".

Also all the stuff you mentioned in a previous post (numbered list) I actually did, I gave ED to Jill and I'm waiting to see who turns better with Def on promotion between her and Nolan to see who gets the DS, I gave the SR to Micaiah because, you know, your post was two chapters after I gave those boosters.

why would their def stats have anything to do with who gets the dracoshield? are you planning on giving it to the unit with higher or lower def?

we're kind of saying, "just give it to jill and you won't regret it because it'll make things easier for you."

Last thing, when did this trend of thinking I'm dumb and only follow shit advice start? Because this all started when I didn't want to 2 turn 1-6-2 because I wanted/needed the Red Gem, the Master Crown and the experience, I had bases under that decision. And then continued when ToH mentioned Renewal and it somehow became my fault.

you rejected my (very good) advice to use sothe on page 1. this didn't start because of 1-6-2.

I'd like to give it to the one with lower defence to balance them out. But Nolan is not behind in Def right now and he has a sackload of HP anyway, so it's probably going to Jill.

I didn't follow it yes, but I said right after that I didn't want to rely on crutch characters. I didn't say it in the very first post because I thought it was a given, I mean, I don't think people go saying on the SS board to just solo everything with Seth right?

Anyway continuing this in some days, right now Xillia 2 takes place in my priority list just under "Sleep" and "Drink" but above "Eat", so FE gets a little rest.

I'd like to give it to the one with lower defence to balance them out. But Nolan is not behind in Def right now and he has a sackload of HP anyway, so it's probably going to Jill.

so here's the problem. i was actually expecting you to say this, but it's the wrong answer. all other things being equal (which in this case, they are not; they are stacked in favor of jill to begin with), it's more beneficial to give a dracoshield to a unit with higher def than it is to give it to a unit with lower def. if their def stats are equal, it's more beneficial to give a dracoshield to a unit with higher HP.

I didn't follow it yes, but I said right after that I didn't want to rely on crutch characters. I didn't say it in the very first post because I thought it was a given, I mean, I don't think people go saying on the SS board to just solo everything with Seth right?

that's what users say on the FE8 board all the damn time.

Edited by dondon151

So... Maximize the strongest point of a unit instead of balancing them out? You know, so far I thought for FE it was different because of things like caps, and weapon weight, that make you either consider how to use boosters (is he going to cap it anyway, or should I give him it?) or work on low stats (should I give him a ED to wield that weapon effectively?), but it seems I was wrong, and getting high stats ASAP no matter what is the priority. Got it, thanks.

Seriously, what did I miss? Back in my days jeigans/oifayes roles were to weaken enemies to set easy kills for the growth units like the Social Knights duo or whatever.

So... Maximize the strongest point of a unit instead of balancing them out? You know, so far I thought for FE it was different because of things like caps, and weapon weight, that make you either consider how to use boosters (is he going to cap it anyway, or should I give him it?) or work on low stats (should I give him a ED to wield that weapon effectively?), but it seems I was wrong, and getting high stats ASAP no matter what is the priority. Got it, thanks.

This is benefitial in "how will you use a unit", and Jill is facing more combat throughout all the game than Nolan. Giving the Shield to Jill ensures you a strong unit that is reliable on combat while the other one is still on a growth process; giving it to Nolan will "balance" them out but you'll instead still have two units on a growth process, so none of them will be as reliable as Shield!Jill.

It's similar Irysa's example on the number of units you should train, training few units (which is the optimal solution) ensures you a team with solid units that can wreck enemies, while having a high number of units will bring up the risk of none of them being solid enough to deal with enemy phases, and, perhaps, failing in the process (dying and causing more restarts).

FE games, particularly the latest editions, aren't very hard if you're dicking around. You can really do whatever you want if you're not playing with any sort of constraints. So do what you think is cool; tips implies stuff that is going to make the game more efficient.

Edited by virtu333

no, this is not quite correct, either. the rule of thumb for the best course of action depends on the stat in question and on the general context. for def boosters, they're usually better off on a unit that's already durable, but they're useless on a unit that already takes 0 damage. jill doesn't usually take 0 damage, especially since 3-6 has 39 atk tigers and friends. it also has to be taken into consideration that jill's other combat parameters and movement mean that she'll be fighting a lot to begin with.

it's a bit different for other stats. spd is a good example - if a unit can already double everything on the map, then a speedwings will not be of much help at all. if a unit is not even close to doubling anything, then he wouldn't get much mileage out of the speedwings, either. however, if a unit is slower but fast enough to be 1-2 points short of doubling many enemies on the map, then that unit would be a good recipient of the speedwings. combat potential, like in the case of jill above, also has to be considered. this is why units like haar and titania are excellent recipients of speedwings, because both of them start out close to doubling most enemies and they have high mobility to complement combat prowess.

finally, seraph robes may be best off given to units with low HP because it allows them to survive attacks that they normally wouldn't be able to - roy is a good recipient of the angelic robe in FE6, for example. if no such unit exists, then the best recipient would be a unit, maybe already possessing high def, that already participates in a lot of combat.

Edited by dondon151

Is this actually true? I'm pretty curious about this, I've never seen him as nothing more than the usual sign "we need to reach a certain character quota, sincerely IS".

No I didn't post in ALLCAPS.

And yes, it's true. 9 Mov, doesn't realistically die (transformed), actually has fixable offense with something like a 99 BEXP + Blossom level (you have to get him to get Str & Spd) and he'll be doubling most enemies for 2RKO. Him doubling means he'll be actually able to build his Strike rank, actually getting his offense somewhere in the long run.

I can expand much more on this.

Honestly you're just kinda doomed using the Fail Brigade no matter who you use when you get to the climax of Part 3. BUT my own person suggestion/opinion, take it or leave it would be to use Priestess of Fail, (Michiah) Chuck Nolan, Volke's runner up, (Sothe) Screw the rules I have light green hair (Arran) best written Tellius character (Jill) ((if you don't re recruit her)). Everyone else is just ok to have. Granted everyone's useable, just you're going to have an easier time with said units.

Sorry Soul, Soren>Kyza everytime. Non-Royal Laguz units just aren't that good. Even then Kyza's pretty much THE worst. Everything he can do, Mordecai can do better. I don't even really care to use the Royals to be quite honest. I much prefer Bastian over Soren anyway. ;P But to each their own. :)