Seriously speaking, the Smash Hype is ridiculous...

shadowofchaos

M0qb5Jb.png

Just for the context, this is a comment on an UNRELATED video.

I know this is just one isolated incident that might have had bias for me...

But damn, aren't people acting a little entitled with this game?

I mean geez, I know it's Smash...

But what is this "get on other people's level scrub" type intent I'm feeling from so few words?

And I know this is just a Youtuber, but the same type of attitude has been present ever since the release dates have gotten closer.

Hell, even with the demo...

NpV6oOX.png

(I know some of these are "parody" type posts, but...)

Am I alone on SF in feeling that people take this game too damn seriously?

MQbEBcD.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that some people are really overly hyped for this game. I mean, spending any amount of money for the demo code or repeatedly asking for a code? I'm not even that hyped and I have my two favorite video game characters of all time in it. Although neither of them are available in the demo, I still wouldn't have acted like that if they were. Especially since the demo will be available to everyone on Friday.

I won't deny though, that Smash is one of the biggest and greatest games ever. I just don't think people should be worshipping it like it's God.

I got a demo code by my irl friend going "hey i got an extra Smash code" in a text on my phone. So i called him and hes like "yeah i got code" and he gave me one. And then we proceeded to make arrangements for possible Smash parties in the future. Something something Papa Murphy's pizza something something probably second week of October.

Anyway, the Smash hype is real and im really feeling it. But the lengths people are going are like...

tumblr_nbdwncDaY31qelb9co2_250.gif

[spoiler=well...]

tumblr_nbdwncDaY31qelb9co1_250.gif

I mean come on, a tier list this early? People fighting like cats and dogs over Smash codes, the youtube squabbles, tumblr going barking...

I like the hype thats joyful like that Duck Hunt comic, and people posting vids of silly shit like Smash Potato and the OST leaks.

i am not into the hype i'm just glad i got my jigglypuff and bowser jr.

smash is so popular because nintendo is so popular, and it's a fighting game with a bunch of nintendo characters that appeals to casual and competitive gamers. it's controls and stage designs are open and free for a fighting game too so even people like me who don't like fighting games can enjoy it. now with online play capabilities and 3rd party reps introduced in brawl, the game series grew into a super power.

"are people overreacting over [ ]?"

the answer is always yes.

i know i got giddy the first time i saw videos/gameplay for:

--mgsv (still giddy)

--destiny

--no man's sky (still giddy)

--kerbal space program (still giddy)

--phoenix wright 5

i just have the fortune of liking franchises where there aren't as many people in blind admiration of it, like the developers could do no wrong or some shit. i was actually one of those people towards the mgs series until i met my roommate haha.

excitement breeds irrationality, and that's what we're seeing right now. we're seeing extreme feelings being blasted because we're too excited.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

The hype is gone, when I saw the character rooster.

The very first newcomers MegaMan, Little Mac and especially Robin, I was very excited.

But the latest newcomers Bowser Jr., Koopalings, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt Dog really disappointed me.

There are way too much Mario-characters in SSB4!

However most of the stages and music are great so far.

The classic modus looks interesting because you can choose your own way.

Of course I'll buy it, but I highly doubt that SSB4 will be as awesome as Melee and Brawl were.

The hype is gone, when I saw the character rooster.

The very first newcomers MegaMan, Little Mac and especially Robin, I was very excited.

But the latest newcomers Bowser Jr., Koopalings, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt Dog really disappointed me.

There are way too much Mario-characters in SSB4!

oh please, mario is mario. never too many. also, you'd rather have an average guy with boxing gloves over characters that are actually new and unique additions?

oh please, mario is mario. never too many. also, you'd rather have an average guy with boxing gloves over characters that are actually new and unique additions?

The problem I have, this roster is completly unbalanced. Around 20% of the characters are from the Mario series (Yoshi, Wario not included).

Nintendo could bring out an own fighting game only with Mario-characters like Mario Kart and the sport games.

Duck Hunt Dog might have a good moveset, but I just don't like them. Seriously I never could play as a character like them in Smash. It's just my personal opinion.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

The problem I have, this roster is completly unbalanced. Almost 30% of the characters are from the Mario series (Yoshi, Wario not included).

I want to know what universe where 7 characters (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina, Dr. Mario and Bowser Jr) of a cast of 51 is 30% of the cast. Or even if you decide every Koopaling is their own character, you still don't reach 30%. Not even a quarter of the cast, even though Mario is the most prominent Nintendo series of all time. This hyperbole just comes across as whiny.

And no one is holding a gun to your head saying you must play the characters you dislike. No one forces me to play Pichu in Melee. No one forced me to play Ganondorf in Brawl. I hate how they play. Pichu, from the get-go, was a character I was never going to devote time to. You may personally never play a character in Smash but I think it's childish for *anyone* to say a unique rep like Duck Hunt doesn't deserve a slot. He represents franchises who have been previously absent. He's got a completely original moveset. Maybe no one asked for him but the team did such an excellent job on him that now I'm interested and so are a lot of other people.

The only hype deflation I can think of is that Dark Pit and Lucina are too close to their counterparts and fan favourites like Ice Climbers were cut. Of course the extreme clones take almost no time to make (Lucina borrows 90% of her animation from Marth, which is such a huge bulk of the work completed in one fell swoop) but DHD? Bowser Jr? I was skeptical but now I'm intrigued.

I mean come on, a tier list this early? People fighting like cats and dogs over Smash codes, the youtube squabbles, tumblr going barking...

I like the hype thats joyful like that Duck Hunt comic, and people posting vids of silly shit like Smash Potato and the OST leaks.

Yeah but Smash Potato is the funniest shit this side of the Mississippi.

Edited by Rollertoaster

My brother and I have a joke where, whenever we discuss the Smash roster, we always end the conversation with "but seriously, f*** Dark Pit." (No offence to the fans who wanted Dark Pit in, all 6 of them)

Other than that unhappy thought, I'm seriously hyped for the game and it's (imperfect) roster. Though I'm not as obsessive as these zealots, and it gets a little unjustified.