Mechanics you miss when replaying other games

Irysa

omg you beat me to it, brother. But this so hard.

This needs to be in all the games.

I don't quite get that. Obviously any method of speeding up enemy phase would be helpful but literally skipping it?

One would end up taking about just as much time checking everyone's HP and position in order to ensure not to make a critical mistake. And it's handy to be immediately informed other stuff too, like exp gain.

Anyway, I always miss...

-The base menu of FE9-10. Seriously, this thing is one of the best additions to the series. It provides a nice relaxing atmosphere while handling party matter. I especially like the changing backgrounds. They are a small detail yet they give the feeling like you are really travelling across the land

-Info conversations

-storage space larger then 100

-Ability to place units on the map manually.

-FE4/5 style RNG

-FE4/5/TRS style critical hits

-PCC

-Rescue

-Being able to check the weapon range on a Ballista

-Using items during battle preparation

-Master seals (Especially in TRS)

-Ballista and TRS style catapults

-FE8 style random encounters (if there are any. And there shouldn't be any. These suckers can always be sent away, so they never stand in the way for too long. Also if you do want to fight, there is always a place to go without having to waste real-world time.)

-Being able to restart a chapter at any time even without needing a savefile (from TRS)

-The ability to buy one kind of item in great quantities. (Only a Awakening thing, since you'd actually need it here due to tonics being extremely cheap)

-Canto

-RD style terrain

-RD style Armoured Knights (More speed. A higher defense doesn't matter that much if you take twice as many hits.)

-Personal weapons

-Weapon fusion (I'm not a fan of the Awakening charging thing actually. It should be superior but it somehow feels weird to literally suck the durability out of another weapon. It even has a really icky sound effect to go along with it.)

-Leadership stars

-TRS style Summoning

-TRS style dismounting (involves less swords and more movement then in FE5)

-TRS style dragons

-TRS style weapon weight

-Ability to trade weapons with yourself (as opposed to trading weapons back and forth until you get the right one in the first slot)

-FE3/5 Support system

-if not then FE9 style supports

-FE3-5 battle animations

-Dodging animations (Their lack in FE1/2 never stops being weird.)

-FE4/TRS levelling system (Mostly Awakening due to the existence of Second Seals rendering the lv20 cap meaningless and just ends up being a massive pain as a result. But the entire "reset level on promotion" thing is always unnecessary complicated and a beginner's trap.)

-Ability to move on the world map with buttons (Of course preferably there wouldn't even be a world map)

-Having a single shop that sells any item that can currently be bought rather then having to check several dozens locations until I find the one that sells HP tonics. (They can't even put all the tonics in the same shop at least.)

-FE4 style Weapon repairing (only a FE8/13 thing due to them being open-ended)

Edited by BrightBow

Second bold: Just how many games were longbows actually USEFUL in?? I can only count 3 of them (Shadow Dragon and the succeeding FEs). I don't see why they need to be nerfed. And honestly, FE9 was just as bad to longbows as FE10 was, considering that in addition to being piss weak they were locked to archers and snipers, AKA, the Tier Induced Scrappies of Fire Emblem.

Long bows have way too high accuracy in the current FE games. They should get a hit penalty about 15-20%, if you attack from three range. I liked the idea in FE10 to nerf the hitrate of long bows. However 30% hit penalty is way too much besides the fact that iron/steel long bows have a poor accuracy in general.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

The damn rescue is really needed in FE11 H5 also proper use of dark magic and light would be great in awakening.

I would say Dark Magic works fine in that game: A separate category of spells exclusive for those who specialize in offensive spells as opposed to more adding more flexibility by using a class that allows to use Staffs or Swords as well.

Or at least I would say that if it weren't for the fact that they not only gave exclusive access to Nosferatu to a class with strong defense but also gave that class a skill that increases attack power based on the damage taken that has the potential to trigger with every single attack.

Edited by BrightBow

Long bows have way too high accuracy in the current FE games. They should get a hit penalty about 15-20%, if you attack from three range. I liked the idea in FE10 to nerf the hitrate of long bows. However 30% hit penalty is way too much besides the fact that iron/steel long bows have a poor accuracy in general.

I'm not seeing this when they have 70 accuracy, which isn't much better than the 65 that they had in the GBA games bar FE6, as well as FE9. And outside of Shadow Dragon, I never really saw a sniper as a good addition to a team.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Everyone's pretty much mentioned everything so far. Thracia had some really cool and interesting features. It's sort of weird we haven't seen a return of any of them that didn't become a mainstay of the series. Not so much features but I'd love to see a unit like Xane again. Makes for some creative strategy and would also be cool to see enemies making use of the mimic too. I'd also like to see Leadership Stars working like they did in Holy War. The whole map affect just seems pointless and can be really cheap too (looking at you Reinhart Chapter >.>). Actually it a bonus like making it a bonus like the Charisma skill makes it feel like the units are getting a boost because their commander is right there with them. And from a gameplay perspective it gives you a reason to try and take down the boss first. I guess it's still sort of there with skills like Charisma but I do like to see it as a core part of the game, especially if the player had some way of increasing it. Like it had a growth or there was an item or side quest.

Also the Biorythm. It's not so much something you'd miss playing other games but I do think it's a nice idea and would like to see it in the other games too.

While we're at it, discounting Awakening, do any FEs with skills commonly have them on normal-ass enemies (Just like all those axe armors!)? I know that isn't the case in the Tellius games (only like what, 9-ish enemies have skills in FE9, all of which are in the final chapter).

I really loved the 3rd classes available in Radiant Dawn. I hope that someday we'll get another FE with a long enough story mode to accommodate that again. It would probably not work well with reclassing and branched promotions (there would simply be too many options), but I just thought it was really awesome, like D&D prestige classes, and we don't need to always have reclassing and such in every other game again, too.

While we're at it, discounting Awakening, do any FEs with skills commonly have them on normal-ass enemies (Just like all those axe armors!)? I know that isn't the case in the Tellius games (only like what, 9-ish enemies have skills in FE9, all of which are in the final chapter).

Axe Armors never had any skills.

Anyway, normally they don't have any skills but FE4/5 has class skills. Meaning, certain classes will always have certain skills, even when they are just grunts.

I really loved the 3rd classes available in Radiant Dawn. I hope that someday we'll get another FE with a long enough story mode to accommodate that again. It would probably not work well with reclassing and branched promotions (there would simply be too many options), but I just thought it was really awesome, like D&D prestige classes, and we don't need to always have reclassing and such in every other game again, too.

Too many options eh?

Axe Armors never had any skills.

Anyway, normally they don't have any skills but FE4/5 has class skills. Meaning, certain classes will always have certain skills, even when they are just grunts.

Actually, I guess you wouldn't have gotten what I was referencing (it was A Day in Dracula's Life).

Anyway, would I be correct in assuming that aside from class skills, enemies in those games still didn't have skills much, if at all?

Actually, I guess you wouldn't have gotten what I was referencing (it was A Day in Dracula's Life).

Anyway, would I be correct in assuming that aside from class skills, enemies in those games still didn't have skills much, if at all?

I did get it actually. I just figured that since Fire Emblem doesn't have useless-ass werewolves but does have Axe Armors, I could try to tie into that. It wasn't my intention to come across like I simply didn't get the reference.

And yes, there are definitely no generic enemies with personal skills in FE4. There probably aren't any in FE5 either.

Item fusing, combat unequipping, auto promotion after Level 20, faster phases, auto movement toggle, and Skills. A way of stealing an enemy's stuff is also nice, preferably on a way similar to FE5, as long as it doesn't break the game.

I don't quite get that. Obviously any method of speeding up enemy phase would be helpful but literally skipping it?

One would end up taking about just as much time checking everyone's HP and position in order to ensure not to make a critical mistake. And it's handy to be immediately informed other stuff too, like exp gain.

During player-phase, you're in control of everything. I don't have control over whatever happens in enemy phase that I didn't set up the bait for the AI to do during enemy phase, so I don't want to have to just sit there and watch things happen with no control. When I play a game, I like to be in control at all times. Times where I'm not in control and actually playing instead of watching things (story-related cutscenes aside) is wasted time.

• 2 weeks later...

CANTO - Man the GBA games really suck after you play a FE game that lets mounted units move again

Capturing / Stealing / Fatigue - The ability to steal in Thracia 776 was awesome. I never made it far enough into FE5 to ever see the Fatigue system at work, but I really like the idea.

Path of Radiance's weapon weight system - Screw Con! It makes more since to have everything based off of Str anyway.

Canto, just freaking canto. It's just a no brainer at this point, it should be a staple ability for mounts already. I can't for the life of me figure why they keep removing it in the handheld games. Just bring it back and keep it for good already! Also, skills in GBA and shadow dragon games.

• 3 weeks later...
Path of Radiance's weapon weight system - Screw Con! It makes more since to have everything based off of Str anyway.

I actually find it the worst method - Strength is already an important stat and people with low Str in this method are weaker AND less likely to double.

I don't really like their new method of not having weapon weight, though. Weight adds another thing to consider when choosing a weapon other than just might and accuracy. I think FE5 did it the best with a separate Build stat that could grow. It adds another dimension to stats without permanently making heavier weapons off-limits; if FE5 actually applied Build to magical attacks, it would have been the perfect system for me.