Is Renning low on tier lists simply for showing up late?

Errorik

I personally think Renning is one of the best units for end game. Using BEXP and a speedwing, he is easily on par with Titania. Especially once Renning has Alondite (tanky due to Alondite and Gold Knight, great movement, 1-2 range, Sol). So, I'm curious if he is so low on tier lists simply because Renning shows up so late (sad me) or there are simply better options?

That's basically why Renning is low on tier lists, and I don't know how many people actually use Titania in endgame. I don't think it's worth it for a unit with 4 levels left, less than 30 speed, and finally doesn't make use of his mounted movement.

late, doesn't even have the magic 34 speed, and his other stats aren't particularly great. as for better options, about anybody who you've trained should be better, along with any of the royal laguz units.

Edited by Comet

It's been a bit of a while since I've even talked about tier lists, but I also think Renning's speed cap is enough points lower than Titania's to make a bit of a difference. He's a Male Axe Gold Knight, right? So 31 Speed cap? He has 28 speed and 4 levels to hit 31.

You could argue Speedwing, but think about that resource allocation - would you rather get the two point boost earlier to help you earlier in the game? Or would you rather save it for a gadget character? That's kind of the question you should be asking yourself, and this is a pretty good point.

My last point, just to clarify, refers to the -2 points that mounted units get in indoor maps. The only advantage that really nets him is Canto, and at best that makes him hit and run-like - when better characters with higher levels and more supports don't have this issue and don't necessarily need Canto (in terms of foot units).

I have never used Titania, instead using Oscar, but I have found him, Kieran and Haar to be able to clear out entire swarms of enemies easily, while Renning is...eh. Compared to Kieran at that point, he just...lacks. Ridiculously.

I personally think Renning is one of the best units for end game. Using BEXP and a speedwing, he is easily on par with Titania. Especially once Renning has Alondite (tanky due to Alondite and Gold Knight, great movement, 1-2 range, Sol). So, I'm curious if he is so low on tier lists simply because Renning shows up so late (sad me) or there are simply better options?

I'd simply say better options due to the speed cap Male Gold Knights have not to mention the points the others have stated. But I'm not really a tier guy, I'd say use Renning if you want I doubt it would be a bad choice. I mean I use Tormod in end game after paragon fun.

Holding a Speedwing for Renning is bad in terms of opportunity cost (we could have been using it since 3-11). He can't even reliably double most of the 4-E(1) Generals which is a problem. Hammer/Wyrmslayer/Canto are nice at least, but ultimately he's only available for 4-E and you probably have a better choice for that slot.

Edited by -Cynthia-

My last point, just to clarify, refers to the -2 points that mounted units get in indoor maps. The only advantage that really nets him is Canto, and at best that makes him hit and run-like - when better characters with higher levels and more supports don't have this issue and don't necessarily need Canto (in terms of foot units).

4-E isn't considered indoors, so mounted units don't get a movement penalty.

Having had pretty much answered all the questions, in topic:

I've never given myself the chance to use Renning. He sounds pretty bro. He can actually do stuff, but it's sad that he only has oh so little to do so. Wish he at least had Amiti, since he's Elincia's family.

I've taken him a couple of times on NM and he did fine.

Just to clarify, he has 29 base speed and a 33 speed cap, so he's, IIRC, one proc away from doubling most stuff in 4-E-1, though he'll never reach 34 to double the faster spirits or auras with white pool. Given his level and join time, that's sort of a problem. If you really wanted to, his speed growth is tied for 4th highest, so you could bexp him to 30 speed without too much trouble.

He's not bad, in fact, he has some stuff going for him, like hammer access, mounted move, and the necessary speed if given a little favoritism and that I correctly remember some finer details of a game I haven't played in 3 years, but it's just not noteworthy enough to warrant that favoritism or bringing to endgame. If, as Jotari said, he had Amiti access, then he might have something going for him.

Ah, got it. It's been a while since I have played RD. Any recommendations for endgame units? For the ratings I've been looking at, most of them incorporate their use in non-endgame chapters. So, the better question is who are some units that are amazing end game that are not necessarily good throughout the rest of the game (royals are an obvious choice).

Just for the record in case anyone doesn't know, the game does in fact let him use Amiti when no one else but Elincia can, they just decided to lock it to her for some reason. I suppose it would be pretty easy to patch the game so it isn't locked to her.