Types of characters you would like to see

Dragoncat

Even the mother/daughter relationship gets ignored often. But yea, it's very underwhelming to see games where the foe is either always evil, brainwashed, or the hero simply hates them for whatever reason. Giving it a chance to be mixed up, actually having the hero and villain care for each other, and even building on their own family bonds, is very important.

Here is my thoughts on a plot-line.

The game starts off with a mother and daughter living as commoners struggling to get by. For the first few levels both are playable as they struggle against the world, picking up a few of the characters along the way (maybe the mother is the Jeigan in this case?). About chapter 5-7 it gets revealed that the mother is a Manakete/descended from dragon blood and offered a chance to become nobility. Doing so means that she won't have as much time with her daughter, but her daughter will be well taken-care of. Then next chapter or two focuses on her. It very soon becomes clear that, while being a manakete/descended from one is very helpful it also makes her an excessive target. As a result she decides to hide it from her daughter entirely.

This ends up backfiring though as the daughter is soon cast out. The nobles are eager to get a new 'holy lady', or whatever title you desire, onto the throne while the daughter just wants to flee from a mother she feels has denied and forsaken her. As a result she heads to another country offering her services as a hired blade. As for the mother she finds out that this other country is threatening her own, pushing it to the brink of war, and soon start claiming that they have their own 'holy woman' (the daughter) to lead the troops into battle. Trying her best to protect the homeland, a land she fears will be destroyed entirely if the other country wins, she employs more and more drastic measures until, at last, she employs the Fire Emblem itself, not realizing just what it can do. As the daughter fights through the hordes of undead and demons, what few generals the mother has left she orders to join with her daughter in the few moments of sanity that she has. When the mother and daughter finally meet the daughter realizes that her mother is almost completely taken over, resulting in a fight and, after her defeat, they get one final, teary, moment together where her mother explains that she did what she thought was best to protect her, acknowledges that she made mistakes and is proud of what her daughter has become, and hugs her one last time before passing on.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the mother/daughter relationship gets ignored often. But yea, it's very underwhelming to see games where the foe is either always evil, brainwashed, or the hero simply hates them for whatever reason. Giving it a chance to be mixed up, actually having the hero and villain care for each other, and even building on their own family bonds, is very important.

Here is my thoughts on a plot-line.

The game starts off with a mother and daughter living as commoners struggling to get by. For the first few levels both are playable as they struggle against the world, picking up a few of the characters along the way (maybe the mother is the Jeigan in this case?). About chapter 5-7 it gets revealed that the mother is a Manakete/descended from dragon blood and offered a chance to become nobility. Doing so means that she won't have as much time with her daughter, but her daughter will be well taken-care of. Then next chapter or two focuses on her. It very soon becomes clear that, while being a manakete/descended from one is very helpful it also makes her an excessive target. As a result she decides to hide it from her daughter entirely.

This ends up backfiring though as the daughter is soon cast out. The nobles are eager to get a new 'holy lady', or whatever title you desire, onto the throne while the daughter just wants to flee from a mother she feels has denied and forsaken her. As a result she heads to another country offering her services as a hired blade. As for the mother she finds out that this other country is threatening her own, pushing it to the brink of war, and soon start claiming that they have their own 'holy woman' (the daughter) to lead the troops into battle. Trying her best to protect the homeland, a land she fears will be destroyed entirely if the other country wins, she employs more and more drastic measures until, at last, she employs the Fire Emblem itself, not realizing just what it can do. As the daughter fights through the hordes of undead and demons, what few generals the mother has left she orders to join with her daughter in the few moments of sanity that she has. When the mother and daughter finally meet the daughter realizes that her mother is almost completely taken over, resulting in a fight and, after her defeat, they get one final, teary, moment together where her mother explains that she did what she thought was best to protect her, acknowledges that she made mistakes and is proud of what her daughter has become, and hugs her one last time before passing on.

So a lot like Lyon if he was Empraim and Eirika's parent instead of their childhood friend.

I'm just spit balling here but why not play as the villans in the first part of the game. So have a villan lord type character (could be a sorcerror) who invades or what have you and then in the following story arcs you play as the good guys that way you get a deeper insight into the story from both sides.

I'm just spit balling here but why not play as the villans in the first part of the game. So have a villan lord type character (could be a sorcerror) who invades or what have you and then in the following story arcs you play as the good guys that way you get a deeper insight into the story from both sides.

The problem is that the protagonist has to be the hero. It's far from impossible, of course, but the player couldn't be outright evil or anything. They'd have to be legit-good guys (maybe misguided/uninformed, but good none-the-less) if you wanted them to be sympathetic.

Sooo.... Eliwood? No seriously Eliwood is hella under appreciated.

FE could certainly use more Basilios and Flavias. The Khans were the best characters in Awakening. But they are also the worst Gotoh archetypes in the series by far.

Eliwood is hella bland though. I want an interesting Lord, ja.

As for the second part, yes. Bonus points if the Flavia gets to be the lord who keeps her spotlight.

The problem is that the protagonist has to be the hero. It's far from impossible, of course, but the player couldn't be outright evil or anything. They'd have to be legit-good guys (maybe misguided/uninformed, but good none-the-less) if you wanted them to be sympathetic.

Hmmm. Maybe an anit-hero type guy then? I'm thinking a mercenary or warrior seeking greater strength and making questionable choices? Maybe struggling with inner demons? That way there could be more character development and in the end they would turn out being a good guy.

On the subject of the Lord characters, I want a lord with a dark past that he/she keeps secret from everyone else. He/she doesn't have to be "evil" at the time of the game, but used to do many immoral/questionable things like mass murders (including the innocent/children/women/elderly... etc.), and is trying to do good things to atone for his/her past. When this secret comes to light, he/she loses his/her comrades' trusts and you'll temporarily lose a lot of units on your team and have to make new friends, until you can eventually re-recruit the old ones at later points (or not).

On the subject of the Lord characters, I want a lord with a dark past that he/she keeps secret from everyone else. He/she doesn't have to be "evil" at the time of the game, but used to do many immoral/questionable things like mass murders (including the innocent/children/women/elderly... etc.), and is trying to do good things to atone for his/her past. When this secret comes to light, he/she loses his/her comrades' trusts and you'll temporarily lose a lot of units on your team and have to make new friends, until you can eventually re-recruit the old ones at later points (or not).

That's a good idea too.

But doesn't that run a huge risk of losing audience sympathy? 'Oh hey! I was the former Hitler of my world! But it's okay. I stopped kicking puppies and now run a puppy adoption agency!' Not to mention that this sounds a lot like Reven from KoToR.

But doesn't that run a huge risk of losing audience sympathy? 'Oh hey! I was the former Hitler of my world! But it's okay. I stopped kicking puppies and now run a puppy adoption agency!' Not to mention that this sounds a lot like Reven from KoToR.

Trust me, the audience would sympathize anyone as long as they are handsome/pretty/fan-service-y enough.

Well, the topic is a type of character that I want to see, so whether the devs can actually think of something like that and apply it into the game is an entirely different story. :P

I've had an idea where the Lord character in the first part is of deposed royalty: the ruling family was killed, he was spirited away at a young age, and he ends up with a group of mercenaries. Eventually the usurper king and knights from the old kingdom learn of his whereabouts, the king tries to have him killed, and he and his group team up with the knights to take down the usurper.

But he's not doing this as a prince: he has no court training, he's been a mercenary for most of what he remembers, and he wants nothing to do with being king. He's only leading the fight because the king won't leave him alone; he even tries sending a message saying he has no intent to challenge his rule, and it doesn't work. His attitude brings him into conflict with the Jeigan knight along the way, as he's expected to act professional when he is anything but. Once the king is dead he doesn't give a rat's ass about what happens next, and when questioned he nonchalantly gives control to a country that offered them aid in the last part. By the next morning he and the mercs are gone (but not before dipping in to the royal treasure chest as "payment for their job").

Cut to a year or two later and the country is in a violent civil war between the "allied nation" trying to exert control, countrymen wanting their independence, and a third faction staying out of the direct conflict but "nudging" the two sides as needed. The native faction is only semi-united, they have a common goal but the faction leaders have conflicting interests. The new Lord character is a subordinate leader in the native faction who at some point meets the previous Lord. The tale has them coming into conflict with their own countrymen, the allies turned enemies, and eventually the manipulating faction, with obligatory character development (don't know about the new Lord but the old one obviously has to own up for his negligence).

(Or he could take up the throne reluctantly, decide it's not so bad and turn corrupt from having the authority but not the proper conditioning. Think Akaneia if Marth became the evil emperor instead of Hardin (ignoring the twos' personalities being leagues apart).)

A child character who is actually a kid. This character is not a 1000 year old manakete, he or she is an actual child fighting in a war. The kid would most likely be an extremely talented mage, although a little kid mercenary could work. Using his or hers childish appearance she or he could lure his or hers enemies into a false sense of security.

A child character who is actually a kid. This character is not a 1000 year old manakete, he or she is an actual child fighting in a war. The kid would most likely be an extremely talented mage, although a little kid mercenary could work. Using his or hers childish appearance she or he could lure his or hers enemies into a false sense of security.

That would be pretty neat

We've had child characters plenty of times before who aren't 1000 years old. Ricken, Mist, Rolf and Nino are just some that come to mind right away, along with half the Gen II cast of Holy War. What exactly are you proposing that's different? Some kind of skill that makes it less likely they'll get attacked?

I don't think they really count since, if I'm not mistaken, Nino was 14-15, Mist looks like she's at least in her early teens, certainly at least 11, leaving Rolf and Ricken. Dunno how old Rolf is and he certainly looks young enough to be an 'actual' kid, but Ricken seems... a bit too old.

Did you know Ricken is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal? Truly, his voice is the voice that shall pierce the heavens!

Too young and it wouldnt work. If they're like 5 they should be at home with their parents. Even if the parents are playable units...which would be interesting in itself. Closest we've had to something like that is Amy, Largo, and Calill. She wasn't theirs biologically, and Largo couldnt fight because of nasty previous wounds, though...but why not expand on that? What if say, Pent and Louise already had young kids in FE7? They would either hire a babysitter or take turns. The latter would probably be a pain in the butt to the player, you'd need one of them for a certain chapter and too bad, they're at home with their rugrats atm.

I was on an RP forum once and one person actually had a 5 year old character, in a made up class that acted like dancers and bards and I think gave stat boosts as well...

A female Lord who is over the age of 25, does not have blue hair and uses a bow ( and doubles as the game's Jeigan/Oifey ). Said Lord was at the head of the country's elite military force, only to have them decimated by a dark cult. Lord feels guilty and angst-ridden, vows to avenge them and suffers from PTSD ( seriously, why do NONE of the veteran fighters in FE suffer from this? ).

Too young and it wouldnt work. If they're like 5 they should be at home with their parents. Even if the parents are playable units...which would be interesting in itself. Closest we've had to something like that is Amy, Largo, and Calill. She wasn't theirs biologically, and Largo couldnt fight because of nasty previous wounds, though...but why not expand on that? What if say, Pent and Louise already had young kids in FE7? They would either hire a babysitter or take turns. The latter would probably be a pain in the butt to the player, you'd need one of them for a certain chapter and too bad, they're at home with their rugrats atm.

Well, FE4 kind of addressed the issue of babies + armies. Deirdre got left behind once Seliph was born and that didn't turn out so well, but Ethlyn tried to take Altena on campaign and that also didn't turn out so well. Unless very small children are part of the actual plot I don't see that happening-- the kids would just be offscreen, like Yuno and Zealot's baby girl in FE6.

A female Lord who is over the age of 25, does not have blue hair and uses a bow ( and doubles as the game's Jeigan/Oifey ). Said Lord was at the head of the country's elite military force, only to have them decimated by a dark cult. Lord feels guilty and angst-ridden, vows to avenge them and suffers from PTSD ( seriously, why do NONE of the veteran fighters in FE suffer from this? ).

Finn in FE5. Not PTSD perhaps but Leif indicates his emotional responses have been frozen muted since he watched Leonster burn... thirteen years before the game takes place . Also FE12 has some kind of interesting things to say about Marth's psyche and IMO it wasn't handled especially well. I guess some psychological realism would be nice but after seeing, say, Noire in FE13 I wouldn't expect to have PTSD handled in a sensitive or realistic way.

At worst, they'd play it for laughs. LOL, Jeigan character has been triggered into a flashback. Isn't mental trauma wacky and fun? Ick.

[spoiler=A rather long post.]

More lords with axes, bows, tomes, and staves.

I would like to see a cross between a taguel and a manakete. Beast stone + Dragon stone.

A cross between a dread fighter and a bride.

Fire mage, lighting mage, wind mage.

A cross between a cleric and general. Defensive healer tank.

A joke character like Bad Box Art Mega Man or Dan.

I would like to see a red mage.

More status ailments.

Non-sword lords: ... Acceptable.

Shapeshifters: No.

About Brides and DFs: This makes absolutely no sense. Elaborate. Immediately.

Mages: I think you're around three games late, dude.

Defensive healer tanks: This is a forum for the Fire Emblem series made by Nintendo, not the online game made by the people of FETO.

Joke characters: Didn't you have enough of those in 13?

Red mages: Now you're just outright disregarding the Tactician class line. Unless you're not considering that. If not, then you're eight games late.

Moar ailments: Again, elaborate.

I also want to see male dancers. Shota and muscular ones. No bards.

The correct answer to this question is... Inigo.

I also want to see a thieving tank, dancing tank, and a flying tank.

An unholy monk or cleric, very dark and twisted. Likes seeing people bleed and hurt, became a healer just so he could see people get hurt again. He would rather see someone suffer than die.

An extremely buff female, any class. Girls with big muscles.

More ugly faced characters, not viewed as attractive.

More fat characters in general, even though overweight soldiers would most likely die quick in a realistic setting. Especially a fat female character.

A character who would rather fight unarmed but is always scolded about it by a tsundere protective older female character, older sister.

A healer that attacks with his stave, not during gameplay, but during the scene you recruit him/her he is getting attacked and manages to give the attacker one damage.

An old lady character, we've seen old men already.

More dark skinned characters.

A pink, purple, orange, brown, black, haired lord.

*Warlock Punches Rabbattack*

More commando/chameleon units.

A healer with high attack.

Mage with high defense and low magic.

*Falcon Kicks Rabbattack*

I would like to see a perverted character that always gets scolded by an tsundere girl by getting dragged away by the ears like Misty and Brock. Virion and Cherche didn't satisfy me at all.

I would also like to see a chapter where a village or town is being attacked and the local kids, deliquent gang, come in with sticks and extremely low stats, you have to kill the enemies before the kids get too close to the enemy. The leader of the gang isn't a little kid, but instead a young adult or teenager who takes care of them. He serves as a their role model. He could be a trickster or theif. Food is too expensive for them sometimes so they steal what they need and bring it back to their hideout. Alternatively this person could be a female theif. They have a bad reputation. At the end of the chapter she/he leaves the kids under the care of someone else and joins the main protagonist on his quest to return peace to the land.

I would like to see a recruitable monster, this monster is different than the others and hates violence.

I would like to see another vegetarian character.

I would like to see an athiest character who despises religion and has a hatred for the gods, could work well with the nonreligious priest.

A dark skinned character with a hair color other than black, brown, or blonde. Blue, green, red, purple, orange, and pink are mandatory.

*casts Apocalypse on Rabbattack*

I would like to see a group of non generic characters, a seperate army with characters that fight as your allies, but they can't join you. They each have their own personalities and names, but they can't join you.

I would like to see mage who never wanted to learn magic. When he was young he always dreamed of becoming a swordsman, but his rich parents forced him to enroll in the royal school of magic.

I would also like to see a squirrel, rabbit, kangaroo, fish, bear, dog, cat, and turtle laguz.

I would also like to see a whole family join the main protagonists army. Mother, father, sister, and brother. It'd be really interesting.

*attacks with Hauteclere*

A gloomy character that is always sad, really sad. Never happy.

A general that can use tomes.

A character without legs or is missing a leg.

A character without arms or is missing an atm.

More tsunderes, lolis, semi-furries, and shotas.

A character who has a huge appetite but actually gets fat from eating.

...... Is it over ye-

*stabs Rabbattack*

I'd be more interested in having a single parent (either gender works) with a young child rather than have a young child as a unit. The child could play a role in their supports convos, and you'd even have the option to decline the character's recruitment so that they wouldn't be endangering a kid (changes nothing else, it's purely aesthetic).

[spoiler=A rather long post.]Non-sword lords: ... Acceptable.Shapeshifters: No.About Brides and DFs: This makes absolutely no sense. Elaborate. Immediately.Mages: I think you're around three games late, dude.Defensive healer tanks: This is a forum for the Fire Emblem series made by Nintendo, not the online game made by the people of FETO.Joke characters: Didn't you have enough of those in 13?Red mages: Now you're just outright disregarding the Tactician class line. Unless you're not considering that. If not, then you're eight games late.Moar ailments: Again, elaborate. The correct answer to this question is... Inigo. *Warlock Punches Rabbattack* *Falcon Kicks Rabbattack* *casts Apocalypse on Rabbattack* *attacks with Hauteclere* ...... Is it over ye- *stabs Rabbattack*

When I say something that has already been done before, it means I want more of them. I was really hoping on some interestingly feedback on my potential characters, but that whole post was uninteresting due to the sudden onslaught of attacks. I fear I may be in need of medical help, I think your assault has left me severely crippled.

[spoiler=A rather long post.]

Non-sword lords: ... Acceptable.

Shapeshifters: No.

About Brides and DFs: This makes absolutely no sense. Elaborate. Immediately.

Mages: I think you're around three games late, dude.

Defensive healer tanks: This is a forum for the Fire Emblem series made by Nintendo, not the online game made by the people of FETO.

Joke characters: Didn't you have enough of those in 13?

Red mages: Now you're just outright disregarding the Tactician class line. Unless you're not considering that. If not, then you're eight games late.

Moar ailments: Again, elaborate.

The correct answer to this question is... Inigo.

*Warlock Punches Rabbattack*

*Falcon Kicks Rabbattack*

*casts Apocalypse on Rabbattack*

*attacks with Hauteclere*

...... Is it over ye-

*stabs Rabbattack*

Dude, get over your psycho Falcondorf urges!