Who is the worst unit in FE:A ?

Chloe Neo

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying that it is more likely for someone to figure that out than it is to figure out Stefan's.

Could other units talk to Shinon? I never noticed.

Yes - one part of the unit list shows who can talk to whom.

At least Shinon is visible on the map when you start. You know he's there to potentially recruit. Stefan? Pfft.

Which doesn't excuse, or make up for, his recruitment being one of the least intuitive crap in the FE series as a whole, if you ask me. Like I said, the game was at least kind enough to drop a hint about Stefan, even if it didn't outright say how to get him...

Edited by Levant Caprice

Going off of the PoR script on this very site:

Rolf:
“I’m going to fight, too! I’m good with a bow!”

Boyd:
“Really? That’s news to me. Is that the best lie you could come up with?”

Rolf:
“It’s no lie!”

Mist:
“That’s right! He’s not lying.”

Boyd:
“Of course he is!”

Ike:
“What are you talking about, Mist?”

Mist:
“Rolf’s always practicing with his bow. And he’s really good! Aren’t you?!”

Rolf:
“I sure am!”

Ike:
“And when did you learn to use a bow?”

Rolf:
“Well, let’s see…Um…I guess I just…sorta…picked it up naturally?”

Boyd:
“Stop lying, you booger-eating brat! You can’t just pick up a weapon and start firing away! Someone has to teach you the basics!”

Rolf:
“Well, maybe I’m just a prodigy, cause I learned it all myself!”

Boyd:
“You little…”

It's pretty obvious that Rolf is lying through his teeth and there's only one other bow user who was with the Greil Mercs. At least I picked up on that part right away. Ike having to do him in got me the first time, though. I was pretty confused after Rolf talked to Shinon and he didn't recruit. >.>

Also, as much of a pain as recruiting Gangrel is, he's still another ready-made staffbot, which is great on Lunatic(+) for taking on the other Spotpass Paralogues (Rescue bombing FTW). Yen'fay and Aversa require zero training and come with high enough stats to help out with pretty high chip (or even just backup tank) duty in the remaining (rather difficult) Spotpass Paralogues. Priam kinda loses points because he comes in the hardest Spotpass Paralogue that is also the last in that particular series. He still requires zero training for the same high chip/backup tank duties, though, so I guess he could help out against Grima if one is using a non-turn-1-kill strategy.

I seriously can't consider any of the Spotpass Paralogue characters worse than Donnel.

I've always wondered if The Radiant Hero on L+ is harder than Apotheosis, to be honest.

And I forgot about that little tidbit. Having Rolf talk to Shin on isn't too bad to figure out, it's that Ike specifically has to kill him that makes it hella terrible.

Going off of the PoR script on this very site:

Rolf:

“I’m going to fight, too! I’m good with a bow!”

Boyd:

“Really? That’s news to me. Is that the best lie you could come up with?”

Rolf:

“It’s no lie!”

Mist:

“That’s right! He’s not lying.”

Boyd:

“Of course he is!”

Ike:

“What are you talking about, Mist?”

Mist:

“Rolf’s always practicing with his bow. And he’s really good! Aren’t you?!”

Rolf:

“I sure am!”

Ike:

“And when did you learn to use a bow?”

Rolf:

“Well, let’s see…Um…I guess I just…sorta…picked it up naturally?”

Boyd:

“Stop lying, you booger-eating brat! You can’t just pick up a weapon and start firing away! Someone has to teach you the basics!”

Rolf:

“Well, maybe I’m just a prodigy, cause I learned it all myself!”

Boyd:

“You little…”

It's pretty obvious that Rolf is lying through his teeth and there's only one other bow user who was with the Greil Mercs. At least I picked up on that part right away. Ike having to do him in got me the first time, though. I was pretty confused after Rolf talked to Shinon and he didn't recruit. >.>

Okay, except this is from like a dozen maps back (relative to when you see Shinon again), and thus it's not exactly likely that the player would remember that by then...

EDIT: Just figured out only 3 units can talk to Shinon (Rolf, Mist, Rhys). I thought it was more for some reason...

Edited by Levant Caprice

Dude, he comes with 41mt Levin strikes right off the bat. What exactly would be your definition of a "good" drop-in Levin user?

More Staffbots are always helpful unless you don't have room to deploy them.

You are wrong and should level her up, no offense.

Maribelle is amazing. Mounted staves yes pls. She gets an Aura at level 10 and starts with Mend access. Brady is somewhat hopeless but don't underestimate instant C staves.

I would say Marribelle. I feel no need for a second Healer. Even her child is useless to me (Brady) This is my opinion, Correct me if im wrong and should level her up heheh.

I'd honestly say you're wrong. I generally find it hard to go wrong with two healers, even if I don't use two healers in all the FE games I play. I mean, hey, Lissa can't be everywhere at once...

Edited by Levant Caprice

How can you say a unit which doesn't need battle experience to grow is bad? Demoiselle is not getting enough appreciation methinks.

Let's compare Ricken to Miriel:

Level HP  Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res
Miriel    1   18   0  6+2  5   7   6   3   4  
Ricken    3   20   3  8+2  6   5  10   6   3

Miriel joins in chapter 2, Ricken joins in chapter 5.

During these three chapters, he gains 2 hp, 2 magic, 1 skill, 4 luck and 3 defense.

He loses 2 speed and 1 resistance.

He gains less exp than Miriel thanks to his base level being higher.

How is it possible for a lv 3 mage to have 2 less speed than a lv 1 mage? What have the developers been smoking?

Personally I think Ricken is pretty bad. Of course Donnel is the ultimate failure, but that's the whole point of his existence.

Other than the obvious choice (Donnel), Ricken is probably the worst unit in the game. Virion at least provides some chip damage for the few chapters he's forced in, and his pair up bonus isn't too shabby either (2 STR and 2 DEF). Ricken, on the other hand, has terrible stats, awful growths, a bad pair up bonus for most of your units, and comes in a chapter where it is difficult to keep his scrubby self alive.

How is it possible for a lv 3 mage to have 2 less speed than a lv 1 mage? What have the developers been smoking?

His Spd, Def and HP are pretty specifically set so he can't survive a single round of EP combat with a Wyvern in Lunatic without either a Fred pairup or a Stahl/Sully pairup and Def tonic, which causes him to require either a lot of care or some limited resources to contribute in his opening chapter. Thanks to Elwind being effective, he can contribute quite well if you do pay the price.

Where the devs goofed was with having him be only able to do that relative to the Wyverns- his growths don't match his class and Wyverns only appear every other chapter or so so you can't really raise him. This might have been intentional (a unit similar to Fred who's able to help early on but punishes you for relying on him too much), but the fact that he's not the most intuitive choice backfires and winds up just making him useless.

Why not, I'll do maths. Thankfully there's no weapon triangle to calculate because that shit is complicated.

C5 WRs have 11 Spd and 28 Atk. Fred gives +1 Spd on pair up along with +4 Def.

Base Ricken has 20 HP, 5 Spd, and 6 Def.

Assuming we defy all odds and place the speedwings in Fred's inventory, trade it with Ricken, switch to Ricken, and Ricken uses it we then have:

Ricken w/ 20 HP, 8 Spd, and 10 Def

Ricken just barely escapes getting doubled and annihilated. Yay for him. He also receives 18 damage to his 20 HP. He survives and clings to dear life. Unfortunately every Wyvern moves very close to each other so he is likely to be in range of more than one.

Edit: That was fun. Let's do it again. Statistically, the C7 wyverns are the same so Ricken doesn't need to grow much from base. It's not like much would change anyway since Ricken will neeveeer ever reach 16 Spd to double them. Let's have fun and give him a forge. That Elwind is getting forged to max Mt.

Ricken at base has 10 Mag, the Elwind forge has 27 Mt vs Wyverns. 37 atk vs the C7 Wyverns 36 HP, 1 Res. Holy shit he OHKOs them. Go Ricken. Of course this is a lot of investment for 1 enemy type. He still dies to everything else. I want more than just meaty chip for all that investment. We also need Fred elsewhere.

But yeah in a perfect world Ricken has potential.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

OHKOing them would actually be detrimental to him at that point because Cht.7 is a very turtly chapter and he doesn't want to take multiple EP battles.

Also at base with an unforged Elwind, he puts them to 15, while unpaired base Chrom does 12 with Falchion (easy to augment through pairup and earlier levels)- so even if he were to be a chipper he's already able to do what needs to be done.

Unfortunately for him Cht.7 isn't and never will be an offensive chapter. There's both no way to keep him safe like in Cht.5 and no need for chippers in general, so his job doesn't even exist there. And even if it did, he'd be outclassed by Miriel (the only reason he's relevant in Cht.5 is because a) no trading is needed to get him set up with a good weapon and support, and b) you need maximum offense to counter the Wyvern flood and Miriel needs to help out too).

OHKOing them would actually be detrimental to him at that point because Cht.7 is a very turtly chapter and he doesn't want to take multiple EP battles.

Also at base with an unforged Elwind, he puts them to 15, while unpaired base Chrom does 12 with Falchion (easy to augment through pairup and earlier levels)- so even if he were to be a chipper he's already able to do what needs to be done.

Unfortunately for him Cht.7 isn't and never will be an offensive chapter. There's both no way to keep him safe like in Cht.5 and no need for chippers in general, so his job doesn't even exist there. And even if it did, he'd be outclassed by Miriel (the only reason he's relevant in Cht.5 is because a) no trading is needed to get him set up with a good weapon and support, and b) you need maximum offense to counter the Wyvern flood and Miriel needs to help out too).

Wait. . .15 + 12 = 27. . .

So that means that if Chrom pairs with Ricken, they can potentially one-shot wyverns! Once again, this is a waste of support points and Ricken's pair-up bonuses, but it's still doable!

EDIT: Uh, well, Chrom gets some skill out of it? Still a waste IMO, since the staffbots really like the magic boost.

EDIT the second: I dunno how I managed to mix up numbers like that, but it's still a funny idea, so I'm just gonna leave it.

Edited by eclipse

OK, something got messed up there.

Ricken has 14+8 base Atk vs Wyverns, Chrom has 12+10 (so both 22). Wyverns have 34HP, 10 Def and 1 Res. Ricken does 21, Chrom does 12. They would both need tonics to ORKO, but it would a) require a low% DS, b) not KO through Counter, and c) not nearly provide as great of a survival/offense boost as a Sumia S support would.

Using a Speedwing on Ricken to fix his speed problem isn't a viable option, I do realize you suggest this as a joke, allow me to elaborate on that:

I might as well use my Naga's tear on Donny to fix his base stats, as well as give him a fully forged bronze lance, with Chrom support and assumed 100% dual strike against enemies who have no counter, preferably with Lissa or Maribelle who can rescue him from potential retaliation in form of other enemies. The rescue has been bought from a merchant which spawned prior to chapter 5, of course.

This is so much fun! <3

No, I never mentioned fixing anything in the long term. The Speedwing + Fred pairup simply allows Ricken to survive a round of combat with a non-Luna+/Counter Wyvern in Cht.5/7. If that Naga's Tear boosted Donnel to a critical survival threshold, then it would be the same case.

It's a different kind of case than, say, giving Nowi a Seraph Robe, Cherche a Speedwing or Cordelia a forged Short Spear in vanilla Lunatic. Those cases boost them to thresholds that allow them to rake in a pile of exp right off the bat and shave entire chapters off of their training time before they can become killing machines due to instantly placing them close enough to ahead of the curve. With Ricken it simply allows him to be used with a little less care in the one chapter he'll be deployed for.

I Have To Say, Fredrick. I Know You Will Think Im Crazy But I Really Do Not Care I Just Benched Him Really, Because He Didn't Need EXP At All, Really I Just Used Him To Give Luna To A Kid, And I Might Use Him Every Once In Awhile To Help A DLC Unit That I Want, For Example: Micaiah To Give Them Bonuses. Also I Just See Him As A Really Bland Caracter. So, At The End Of The Day: Fredrick.

Edited by tjoracer