Opinion on battle animations

Ansem

IS put out some crap animations like Fighter, but I always thought animations like the Sage and Lyn Lord were pretty great. I wanted to see what others thought of the battle animations in the game.

I hate like, all the FE8 new animations. Rogue looks stupid. Ranger is choppy as fuck. GK is OK. Summoner is REALLY GODDAMN RETARDED.

This, so much. Everyone seems to go on about how great the new sprites in 8 are but most of it is really janky. Even GKs look really awkwardly out of place with their pseudo 3D when literally every other animation is flat, imo.

That said, I typically leave the combat animations on in the GBA Fire Emblems, though I like to turn off Dancer and Staff animations and will turn them off if I'm up against an orgy of enemies like in Cog of Destiny, and I typically speed through them on emulator.

Edited by Oshimos

This, so much. Everyone seems to go on about how great the new sprites in 8 are but most of it is really janky. Even GKs look really awkwardly out of place with their pseudo 3D when literally every other animation is flat, imo.

How is it bad that the Great Knight animation is of a higher quality? It should be bad that they didn't bring everything else up to its level.

I like the new FE8 animations, but Ranger is still badly done.

My favorite animation is the General. God, the sheer coolness of the whole concept of the GBA general is just brilliant. It's really disappointing that the Generals in the later games just didn't live up to it, in my opinion.

never forget nomad trooper sword crit animation

honestly even the obviously bad ones like fighter never bugged me. There are some pretty rad ones like the Hawkeye!Zerker and I quite like Hector's helicopter crit (I think its only for Armads? I forget)

I still always turn them off though.

I thought most of them were alright, with the exception of Great Knight, which was craptastic, not unlike the class itself. Also, the Pupil animation stunk.

never forget nomad trooper sword crit animation

honestly even the obviously bad ones like fighter never bugged me. There are some pretty rad ones like the Hawkeye!Zerker and I quite like Hector's helicopter crit (I think its only for Armads? I forget)

I still always turn them off though.

Yeah, the helicopter crit is Armads only.

Edited by Levant Caprice

they give cool animations to eliwood hector and lyn for when they use the weapons that athos gave them, but the weapons are all useless garbage. nintendo WHY

fe8 did great for the new classes and added nice animations for monster classes, but i can agree that the ranger is awk.

Armads wasn't too bad, really.

People hate on the Great Knight, but are okay with the three frame attack choppiness of the base cavalier?

Generals win for me, followed closely by Great Knight, and then Warrior or Nomad Trooper.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how bad you may think any of the animations look in the GBA games, I think we can all agree they look 100X's better than the DS sprite animations.

Edited by Captain Karnage

The GBA games have the best animations, specifically 7. 6 and 8 look a bit off. I haven't played Awakening (yet!), but of the 3D Fire Emblems, Radiant Dawn has some good battle animations. The DS games were the worst by far.

What's wrong with the Fighter animation? He smashes an axe in the enemy's head. It's hilarious and completely over the top.

All the GBA games animations have a certain charm to them... And at least have more personality than the DS boringness...

Even the janky/lazy ones. ;)

Agreed on FE7 being most cohesive. FE8 has some cool ones, but... Why some of those proportions, why some of those animations?

...yeah yeah, FE7 has a helicopter, flying horses, and a dude stabbing(why!?) instead of swinging or striking with a BFSword... But in general its tighter, everything fits together for the most part.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

At least the DS animations had a second attack animation.

Anyway, either one pales compared to the FE3/4/5 system. That one actually simulated a battle, the ones from the handhelds just go through the one animation they have over and over and over. It's so cheap, they don't even dodge projectiles, they just disappear. Well, the Thunder Spell doesn't but Fire does.

I really love the GBA animations, even the cheesy ones. Sometimes especially the cheesy ones, like dodging a bolt of lightning by stepping ~10cm to the side.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Kirie, I love all of the animations for GBA. Except for promoted Ephraim, with his 180 horse spin stab that looks so ridiculous. My favorites are the sword master and Lyn's animations, they're so over the top and flashy. I really like to watch them fight and their crit animations look really awesome to me. Though falco knights and sword masters have problems with the 1 pixel adjustment to dodge lightning the dodge animations are all pretty good. Of course the no damage animations are even better http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=042913 .

I love the GBA animations. Even the bad ones, lol.

Warrior has always been a favourite, especially the crit. I like the FE8 Great Knight, don't know why people have a problem with it. I like the Mage Knight animation too.

Only one I don't much care for is the FE8 Rogue. There's a bit TOO much flourish in that one. Also, the sword animation for the Ranger was quite janky.

Edited by #RR shinpichu

I don't know what people mean by mentioning the Great Knight's "pseudo-3D"...?

It's not "pseudo-3D" at all. The DS animations are pseudo-3D. FE8 Great Knight just has a lot of frames for its attack animations, so it's very smooth.

Anyway, as much as they're not really all that good some of the time, I have a soft spot for the GBA-style animations. They're bright and lively, even if not realistic, so they're charming enough to watch that I generally leave them on (unless I'm doing something extremely tedious like Boss/Dance/Play abuse).