The Duolingo Thread

Integrity

WOSSUP MY HOMIESt

tablet posting from school so let's cut to it

WHAT IS DUOLINGO?

duolingo is a free online language learning program that owns shit and you should be a member of it. it's very eurocentric presently but they're slowly diversifying, the content is mostly (entirely?) user made so somebody needs to have a wild hair to start a program. the languages that exist include spanish, french, geman, danish, swedish, irish, portuguese, italian, and probably some i can't remember. turkish and polish and russian and others are en route!

there's also an app on your preferred app/play store, but i recommend checking the site as well since there's a lot of explanatory text before each lesson that isn't included in the (at least apple) app for some reason.

WHAT DO I DO?

do a lesson a day, do ten lessons a day, hell who cares! plug away at one language or five! use the "english for native x speakers" programs if english isn't your native language! (note: cannot vouch for quality of these)

they're just grammar/vocab lessons but if you get deeper you can start trying (badly) to translate wikipedia articles and shit, it's really cool!

WHY THIS THREAD?

three reasons:

1: we can all follow each other and keep each other motivated and laugh at integrity dipping his toes into everything!

2: there are native/fluent speakers of tons of languages on this site, let's make em work! taking the german course and something just doesn't make sense? post about it and i'll make ike-mike answer if i can't!

3: learning new languages fucking owns even if you only learn a bit and i think everybody should do it!

nobody will be surprised to learn that i am RNIntegrity and that i would be happy to be anybody's support program or study buddy because learning languages is like the best thing ever.

Even more nobodies would be even less surprised that my account there is FreohrDatia~

Learn Irish with meeeee \o/

or just whatever you want to learn

I can't learn a million languages because I'm not that good I can only focus on one at a time ;u;

I tried portuguese and German. Portuguese was pretty fun but hard to understand what they were saying at times. Didn't really enjoy German tbh. Especially constantly having to hold the shift key constantly to capitalize those nouns.

I forgot about it though, need to commit.

Why the hell not. Let's make a poll first and vote on what language we're going to do, to see what language (read: Japanese) most of us are going to do.

Sounds good. When my internet connection gets better, I'll try the english course for x speakers, then maybe try out German just out of curiosity while Japanese isn't available (and my sole reason for learning Japanese is to play the Kiseki series before XSEED takes 15 years to finish translating it).

I am fluent in two languages and would like to learn a million languages but I don't think there are so many languages out there, Billy Mays! What do I do?!

Despair that you can never become the person you want to be and spiral into a life of drug abuse and self-flagellation!

And for only three easy payments of 19.99! What how!

Edit: Also I thought about getting into Duolingo, but I'm already using Anki and Quizlet. Too much studying with too many programs @__@

Edited by Esau of Isaac

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this thread. If you're taking languages at school and you wanna go deeper, this website is an very useful supplementary tool if you work in it enough. I've had it for awhile and it's pretty great. You can learn a lottt from the German course and there's like notes and help sections and stuff it's cool.

Edited by Alertcircuit

YES GOOD DUOLINGO

I use it for French and it's the best thing ever plus I really like being awarded lingots because they look like rubies eyy.

I'm MehKittens.

Yay for french!

I broke my 10 day streak yesterday because college =/ but oh well, will do more today to compensate.

nnahiyaan09 btw

I'm mainly working on Spanish! I just need to be better about meeting my daily goals ;_;

Name is theleadinglady for those who want to be language buddies

Ooh Im gonna sign up after I finish this programming assignment

I'm unable to take Italian this semester due to the fact the school's only offering the 6 credit megaclass that covers 2 semesters worth of a normal class's material instead of the normal 3 credit class which annoys the fuck out of me so I'll see if I can keep up my Italian with this

• 3 weeks later...

I started Duolingo with Portuguese, but I've gotten iffy with it since I found out it was Brazilian and not Continental. (Not that there's anything wrong with Brazilian; I'm just more interested in Continental.) I started with Spanish sometime later, but since I've taken plenty of Spanish courses in school, it usually comes off as a refresher and reviewer thing. I haven't been playing with it much lately, so my tree is nowhere near golden.