Back to the Roots

quasimopho13

Now that they have the pretty graphics template from fe13, I'm hoping they focus more on map design. Fe13 basically boiled down to "plow through the enemy". They should take the fe5 approach, but toned down. Fe5 had awesome maps and forced you to take full advantage of the mechanics to play, such as rescue ferrying your strongest unit to save Selfina in fe5 ch 9. Fe5 really represents fire emblem at its core. Also, hope that they reduce the amount of classes that can use both magic and swords to one or two lord-type classes. Robin was unique in that she/he could utilize the strengths of every class, but the ability to use tomes/swords was no longer unique after the first few chapters. Additionally, the cap for the dual-wield class should be roughly 25 strength and 20 magic. When the stats are any closer than 5 points, the incentive to use swords is low because they are only range one and magic will hit roughly as hard with range 1-2. Strength must be significantly stronger than magic in order for sword use to be worth it. Plus magic can still hit hard with the tome might added to the magic stat.

Edited by quasimopho13

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A more varied mission design beside "Rout all enemies/kill the boss" would be nice. Seize, Survive or even reach tile X would be a welcome change.

And yeah, playing awakening without pair up is pretty much suicide. I fear enemies will be around that difficulty again. :/

They could definitely use some escape/fog of war maps as well. Survive would definitely be a welcome return! I don't really like the pair-up system, but that may just be preference. It's clearly in the game again via the raw footage. I really want them to get rid of the grinding because it's becoming more of a regular jrpg rather than an srpg. I liked fe13, but it definitely felt like a regular rpg rather than an srpg.

Edited by quasimopho13

Going straight from Radiant Dawn to Awakening on my latest FE binge was depressing. So many ways to win chapters in RD and then Awakening is 25% kill boss and 75% rout. Not that Radiant Dawn necessarily had the most balanced system, either, for characters' stats. (I had all of my optional endgame people in my last run have 100% capped stats, plus Sothe and Ike. Yay BEXP abuse?)

Also, 3-13's hold the line would be an excellent victory condition in future FEs. Puts a spin on the whole defense to making it be an entire section of map that the enemy isn't allowed to cross.

Well, they've said it'll have challenges "the likes of which have never be seen in the series up until now." Considering that is basically a direct gauntlet throwdown to FE5, which is renowned as the most difficult (in most circles I've seen, anyway,) they must have some pretty big ideas for what to do with the enemies and the maps. After all, numbers were generally the least important part of FE5's actual difficulty. And IntSys does love to make their players bleed.

So I'm optimistic :D

(Source: http://kotaku.com/new-fire-emblem-announced-for-3ds-1679423159)

re: the level of challenge, that statement was encouraging. i agree that including grinding really killed FE13 for me. but there are precedents to making follow-ups on the same platform with the same engine harder. NSLU was intentionally made more difficult than NSMBU, as was mario galaxy 2 vs. 1 and so it's quite possible a similar thing will happen here.

The poor game mechanics killed FE13 for me.

A more varied mission design beside "Rout all enemies/kill the boss" would be nice. Seize, Survive or even reach tile X would be a welcome change.

AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! It was the worst thing in FE13. Especially defend missions have to return.

Lots of things have to return:

• light magic
  • staves like sleep, silence and berserk and maybe some new staves
  • ballistas
  • weapon weight
  • anima long range tomes
  • steal command for thieves
  • Falcon Knights have to use swords
Edited by The Taninator

that's a looot of expectations

I have a feeling you're going to be really disappointed (again, if you didn't like FE13 either)

EDIT: I'm with you Esaka, looks solid from what little I saw

Edited by Trails in the Blaze

There are old stuff that I want to see again (old weapon system, old exp calculation, numbers not exceeding 30...), but at the same time, I also look forward to the new. All those unseen weapon types already look promising (although I do have concern about its balance).

The maps don't particularly excite me like those defence maps in FE10 did, but they do look far more memorable than the FE13 ones. I just hope things like this trap chapter (which forces resetting the entire game if you're not strong enough) won't happen, although I can almost say for sure that there'll be a world map in this one.

That would be good, but that ship has already sailed. I have zero faith in the current FE team.

Also, what was shown in the trailer just reinforces my belief.

If the game eventually turns out to be good, I will gladly eat crow.

I like fe13, but it's pretty far away from fire emblem's core gameplay, only beaten out by fe2. I want a game that's pure fire emblem from the maps to the character design. Despite the universal class caps, fe5 has classes that function as they are supposed to for the most part. For example, generals wall other units correctly. Physical units, even felgus without a silver sword, have trouble taking them down. You have to exploit the general's intended weakness by using mages to kill them. In most fire emblem games, units eventually get so strong that their designated role loses meaning because the units can handle everything.

Edited by quasimopho13

light magic

staves like sleep, berserk and silence and maybe some new ones

ballistae

weapon weight

anima siege tomes

steal command

sword!falcoes

yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes

Light magic should be available to an unpromoted class though, Ballistae should be movable and recruitable like in fe11, anima siege tomes should be buyable mid-to-late game, weapon weight does nothing on top of making things more realistic, which attempt is in vain and unnecessary, the str-based system is bs, though con affects enemies too at least so I'd be borderline ok with that. stealing commmand is pretty neat and a sort of blue-blinking item instead of green-blinking thing that can be stealed but not dropped would be actually nice (don't get me wrong; both stealing and dropping should be things, but for different items). my opinion is neutral about sword!falcoes, but it'd be a neat addition if staves stay usable. if light magic were to return, magic triangle should too tbh. devil weapons should return. An ingame iote shield thing should re-exist too, instead of a iote shield dlc skill. and a new Lunatic+ mode should have Lethality+ on the final boss! and Vantage+ and PavGis+! And um, Hawkeye on top of that? With 0 Lck to make him crittable?

Edited by Gradivus.

I like fe13, but it's pretty far away from fire emblem's core gameplay, only beaten out by fe2. I want a game that's pure fire emblem from the maps to the character design. Despite the universal class caps, fe5 has classes that function as they are supposed to for the most part. For example, generals wall other units correctly. Physical units, even felgus without a silver sword, have trouble taking them down. You have to exploit the general's intended weakness by using mages to kill them. In most fire emblem games, units eventually get so strong that their designated role loses meaning because the units can handle everything.

I'm sorry, but as much as I love Thracia, Fergus has no trouble tearing through generals. If he is, something is very wrong. Give him a killing edge and watch his PCC of 5 kick in on the second attack. Particularly if Karin is nearby and not RNG screwed.

Also scrolls.

Meanwhile, lance users were shafted hard with the forced dismounting (Dean comes to mind especially) and let's not forget that Pavise stopped /any/ attack when it kicked in, magic or otherwise.

And then the generals the player can use get massively screwed when the game shoots out 'Zerkers with hammers.

i'd like weapon weight to return because it did provide balancing for dark magic in past games.

other then that they were expensive and hard to come by, which awakening nullified every weakness it had.

I doubt you think Dark Magic in general(Flux, Worm, etc.) is unbalanced.

They just need to get rid of any mid-combat healing like Nosferatu it just doesn't function in a balanced manner in Fire Emblem as the moment damaged healed is equal or greater than the damage taken it's broken and in other incarnations the users are so weak or weighed down by it so much it's rarely worth using.

Edited by arvilino

Going straight from Radiant Dawn to Awakening on my latest FE binge was depressing. So many ways to win chapters in RD and then Awakening is 25% kill boss and 75% rout. Not that Radiant Dawn necessarily had the most balanced system, either, for characters' stats. (I had all of my optional endgame people in my last run have 100% capped stats, plus Sothe and Ike. Yay BEXP abuse?)

Also, 3-13's hold the line would be an excellent victory condition in future FEs. Puts a spin on the whole defense to making it be an entire section of map that the enemy isn't allowed to cross.

Yeah I'm so glad I played Awakening before PoR and RD.

My hope is that Awakening was so bland because they were trying hard to push it to new western players, and they'll push forward now.

Edited by Radiant head

I always liked weapon weight for some reason, that's just my controversial opinion.

You're not alone, I like the weapon weight too. I think it adds a lot to character variety, and that's why I hope it sort of comes back in some way... I don't like how Awakening lets you use everyone with no problems or taking risks (aside from Donnel), also due to the removed weapon weight, at least in the easier modes.

And the removal of weapon weight helps the enemy too... :/

Regarding other stuff I'd like to have back... better implemented magic in general. Better balance and maps (it's due after Awakening, eh!). Many different type of win conditions, secondary objectives, canto (with the removal of Gale Force), unique classes (aside from lords and dancers, etc), the removal of Laguz wannabes... and good looking armor, please.

Also, the clothing seem to have got less fanservice and idiotic for both girls and boys... that's a welcome comeback.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

I like weapon weight too. It adds more realism to the battles. A heavy weapon will slow you down a bit in real life. Well, unless you're a musclehead like Ike. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I would love to see weapon weight come back as well. But the most important thing is a better varation of battle objectives as previously mentioned. And everything else which adds optional challenges, such as competitive thieves and village burning. But new ones.

I would also prefer not to only have the main character recruit allies. It was a lot better when various hints pointed out which character you needed to send in order to bring them over.

Also, grinding hasn't worked out very well in the series so far. It should at least be limited somehow. Challenge is the foundation of Fire Emblem. Everything which may completely undermine it (like overpowered characters due to grinding) should not be there.

Having said that, it's great to see good new ideas. The new ways to change the course of events will likely be great additions.

Edited by Siskan