Top 10 things I would like to see in Fire Emblem if

Snowy_One

I'd love to see a different kind of non-human character. I'm over manaketes, and while I don't mind them being in the game (they've become something of a series mainstay after all), I would also like to see something new. The Taguel were new in FEA of course, but in the end they worked exactly like manaketes (and their design was way too furry for me). The Laguz introduced a different gameplay mechanism as well, which I appreciated, though their design didn't do much for me. I think there's a lot they can still do with this.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• "Blind stave": It reduces the hit rate of an enemy by 50% for five turns
  • "Bann stave": same effect as the warp / teleport stave with the only difference you use it on an enemy
  • "Flame stave": Enemy suffers burns for five turns. It loses 10 HP before each player phase.
  • magic bows (flaming arrows, thunderbolts)
  • fug of war maps
  • GBA and FE9 support system
  • rescue, take and drop
  • steal command
  • bringing back soldier and halberdier class
  • bringing back third tier class instead of endless reclassing
  • weapon weight
  • ballistas
  • triangle attack
  • Falcon Knights use swords
  • paladins can choose second weapon type (as in FE9)
  • capturing (as in FE5)
  • more mission types
  • male pegasus knights and female fighters
  • magic weapon triangle

Sry, there are more than 10.

2 - Male pegasus knights (Superbly unlikely but one can dream.)

There's male pegasus knight in a hack I've played.

Edited by The Taninator

I, honestly, don't want to see male peggies/female warriors. At this point it feels kind of... weird... to alter the classes like that, especially if they don't actually do anything with it beyond having them. I'd rather they keep their uniqueness then just have gender-inclusions that don't do anything.

Honestly, I kinda just want this game to actually win back the crowd. But, really, they don't need to.

Anyways, reimplementing the Triangle Attack would be awesome, even if it was really impractical.

Edited by Gima

I, honestly, don't want to see male peggies/female warriors. At this point it feels kind of... weird... to alter the classes like that, especially if they don't actually do anything with it beyond having them. I'd rather they keep their uniqueness then just have gender-inclusions that don't do anything.

Ah, I see what you mean. It's really just a childhood thought of mine and well, I believe it's established in the FE universe that pegasi are only good with females? They're aggressive towards males? Something like that.

I also would like to see light magic. While it is mildly fun to Nosferatu moot soldiers, I kinda miss the magic triangle... ;____;

1) The return of S ranked weapons. Having the weapon levels cap at A, to me at least, always felt a little lacking. Also, make it so you can track your progression through the weapon levels! (Unlike in PoR...)

2)Class balancing. Make it so that there are advantages to all classes, rather than "let's make everyone a sorcerer"

3)Bring caps back down from what they were in Awakening and change the stat inflation. The caps and stats got so high that there was barely any noticeable difference between level ups.

4) Reintroduce light magic and the magic and anima weapon triangles!

5) Perhaps bring in a new selection of classes (as well as bringing back soldiers and bishops). I for one would love to see a first tier pegasus knight that uses magic.

6) As there are "choices" in the game, I really hope its more than just "Who you wanna go with?" I'd like to see more of a story "web" than a story "line", if that at all makes sense. Think the story flowchart from Virtue's Last Reward.

7) Bring back weapon weight. In Awakening (and Genealogy as well, for that matter), there was no point having weaker weapons when stronger ones could be used with no downside. I felt as though weight was used to rebalance weapons and add a smaller level of strategy to the game. However, to couple this, I think con should increase alongside other stats, to prevent any characters is a class with low con from being doomed to be weighed down by everything. Also, this would mitigate the problem of weapon weight late game, as eventually everyone would be strong enough to wield all of their weapons. I dunno, just an idea.

Anyway, I probably have more ideas, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Hey, have you guys forgotten? The mulit-player mode in Fire Emblem Awakening was trash. Now Shadow Dragon, that had an amazing multi-player mode. Fighting your friend's army using your wits? Heck yeah! Battling automated enemies with no thought at all? lame. I really hope Fire Emblem if's multi-player mode is similar to Shadow Dragon's.

1. Overall another epic scenario, nothing cheesy.

2. No more childish characters and useless Taguel

3. Fog of war

4. More diverse objectives

5. Bigger punishments for playing on casual mode

6. No more dating simulator

7. Map creator

8. Unlimited Support conversations a unit can have each playthrough.

9. Character gallery, Soundtest actually containing all songs

10. Much. More. Savefiles.

It would be unfair to just have "better chapter design" as one thing, so I'll break it up into multiple.

1) More interior maps. More interior maps more bottlenecks, corners, battlements, doors, and other tactical features.

2) Weather/fog of war. Have fog of war scale with difficulty instead of being on/off.

3) Better initial enemy unit placement. No more of that Radiant Dawn Tower of Guidance rubbish where you start within range of a massive enemy force. That's not fun or engaging.

4) Better difficulty scaling. Less statistical ramp up. More enemies and significantly less EXP rewarded. Let's make attrition a factor again.

5) Map features like destructible terrain, ballistae, alternative objectives such as thrones, etc.

6) More traditional support system with marriage reserved for endings. No more children system.

7) Never have character designs like Nowi ever again.

8) Less quantity, more quality in weapon selection.

9) The return of Yuka Tsujiyoko.

10) Skill capacity, because +2 Res should not take the same number of skill slots as Galeforce or Lethality.

Edited by Hong

1 - Remove all the stuff about min/maxing, reclassing and breeding. I want Fire Emblem, not a watered down FF Tactics with pairings. Almost impossible after Awakening's success, but a man can hope.

2 - Better map design. Much, much better map design. I don't see why they can't, after all it was one of Awakening's main gripes.

3 - Less of that shitty (insert your favorite term to describe greasy teenagers who spend too much time on h-sites)-pandering design that completely fucks up the lore and suspension of disbelief. Old designer already confirmed, so no. Be ready for sexy geishas. At least no zettai ryouki?

4 - Not shit story and characters. New writer, so maybe?

5 - Online multiplayer. Come on, FE11 and 12 had it. I'm pretty sure we're gonna get it.

6 - Music like Awakening handled it, with one central track per map that changes according to the situation. It seems it's already going to be like this, same composer too?

7 - More animations, or at least don't make normal attacks, crits, and skills activation all the fucking same. Since point 1 is not happening I doubt this will.

8 - No Avatar. Seriously, no. Almost confirmed in the trailer, at least turn off the Mary Sue switch.

9 - Less passive +x skills. They are surely going to revamp the skills, so it doesn't worry me a lot.

10 - Fix the pair up system. Fix it big time. At least make the enemies capable of doing that too, or considerably raise their stats. Like point 2, it was one of 13's biggest known flaws, they really should fix it.

Honestly I really LIKED the pairings/marriages and children (I mentioned this before). Adding in a second generation dealing with all the fruits of the supports and the like is really... nice... for me... BUT!!!

I'd rather either see it handled without any major bonuses/penalties to stop it from being a eugenics simulation (maybe a few stat-shifts or an ability or something, but NOT something that will break the game. I'd love to see parent/child supports, but that's probably about it). Failing that maybe handle it in a kinda Mass-Effecty way where, when a sequel comes out, the choices can transfer over and, while not having a direct impact on the game, can show just how things play out.

In no real order;

1. More. Objectives. Than. Kill. People. Seriously, why did they remove things like capture the throne and survive from Awakening? They would have fit in very well with some levels.
  2. Keep S supporting, remove children.
  3. Add homosexuals who can get married, every game needs more gays.
  4. No MU, or at the least make them less bland.
  5. Add in light magic again to bring back the magic triangle.
  6. Better story.
  7. 3rd tier classes.
  8. Lower stat caps.
  9. Make S supports have a better transition. Seriously, most of them go "Man we're such good friends" "But I lov u" "omg me 2 lets marrage and have baby"
  10. Add back Fog of War, Ballista, and other map hazards.

Agreed with a lot of you concerning map design, challenge, pair up and marriage.

Personally :

1 : Less stupid and lazy lunatic + mode.
2 : I don't care about magic triangle since a mage fighting a mage is like a thief attempting to hurt a general but I woud like more unique magic tomes (we have seen a Ice tome in the trailer, hope it's not just another tome with just less / more power).

3 : More unique charachters : I really liked the way Thracia 776 handled it, lot of characters had their personal weapon, skill or even their personal class. It's great for the replay value and also great for balancing.

4 : Class have personal skill or weapons : Thief can steal (wtf IS ?), Swordmaster have a crit bonus or Sniper have specials bow.
5 : Nerf pair up : I don't know how but make it happen.

6 : Using single units is actually better sometimes : combining with pair up nerf should make it a more balanced game.
7 : Staves users are useful for another thing than healing or rescuing. More staves basically.
8 : Weight system is back : Come on, how can Donnel as a villager can wield a Gradivius easily ?

9 : Lower stats caps : You have already plenty of ways to boost your stats above the caps, so why make so higher caps ?

10 : Dual attack and Dual guard are not RNG based : I can dream.

1) Keep everything from Awakening, I can't stress this enough!

2) Avatar as the main protagonist, I like Chrom and all but I like Robin better.

3) More stuffs such as the Bleach/Hot Spring episode, I don't care if it either as DLCs or ingame. It pleasant to see characters be different from their usual self. Also make it more inclusive please not just determined by some popularity contests, that bikini Lucina on the DLCs trailer tricked to me.

4) A well thought out plot that transition well between events, no more Valm's invasion outa nowhere arc please.

5) Have differents background sceneries for supports, if they in a forest please have a forest like sceneery and not just be in the barrack.

6) Personal wish but I hope for more memorable tragic scene/romance, they done it pretty well in FE7(with Ninian and Eliwood) and especially with Emm in Awakening(but too bad she come back, that chapter was one of the most emotional impact scene in Awakening when she chose to die for her Country and sibling). I am a total sucker for these tearjerking story.

7) Less generic supports please.

8) Terrain alteration, in a real warfare back in the old days they used stone to blockage passage and use water to flood enemies. If possible this will add a new depths to strategy.

9) Removed stuffs such as status staff, weathers(rainstorm, fog, snow and others), steal, rescue and ballista to be put back.

10) If I marry X or Y, I want their interaction in the main storyline to be that of a married couple. Also more Waifus please!

Not in any order of importance.

10. A chapter like FE4's chapter 5. Because I would like a decoy lord like Sigurd again.

9. Bigger maps with changing objectives. Like FE4.

8. If kids do return then have it be like FE4

7. Have Griffon Riders return as the Generals of the air.

6. Have Demon Fighter return as a class.

5. More former bosses that can return as party members, Like Aversa or Walhart.

4. Return of Summoner and Druid.

3. Return of light magic and the magic triangle.

2. A Brigand turned party member.

1. If there be monsters I want them to be titanic in size and to hit like a Mac Truck.

I would really like to see them implement a semi-VN system where you are prompted to make an important decision branching into completely different endings. It fits with what Iwata was saying with the central theme of "if". A theoretical example, given the introduction of a Western and Eastern theme, is a particular chapter where there's two princess held captive, one of the Western Kingdom and one of the Eastern Kingdom, and you are required to choose one to save. The princess not chosen doesn't necessarily die, but your story progresses towards the other route. Again, a much less intensive ways to introduce this branching, such as a simple choice prompt: "I will support the Western Kingdom" or "I will support the Eastern Kingdom" will also be welcomed, as long as there's multiple overall "if" endings.

And once you finish both routes a "True" route opens. Imagine the replay value. But then again this requires magnitudes of work unprecedented in FE history, so I'm not sure how likely it is due to appear.

I would really like to see them implement a semi-VN system where you are prompted to make an important decision branching into completely different endings. It fits with what Iwata was saying with the central theme of "if". A theoretical example, given the introduction of a Western and Eastern theme, is a particular chapter where there's two princess held captive, one of the Western Kingdom and one of the Eastern Kingdom, and you are required to choose one to save. The princess not chosen doesn't necessarily die, but your story progresses towards the other route. Again, a much less intensive ways to introduce this branching, such as a simple choice prompt: "I will support the Western Kingdom" or "I will support the Eastern Kingdom" will also be welcomed, as long as there's multiple overall "if" endings.

And once you finish both routes a "True" route opens. Imagine the replay value. But then again this requires magnitudes of work unprecedented in FE history, so I'm not sure how likely it is due to appear.

The princess you chose not to save will appear at the endgame with a slight migraine anyway.

I saw this and had to throw in my hopes. I notice a lot fo people calling for a return to form for Fire Emblem, and while I can't deny Blazing sword and Sacred Stones probably stick with me more than Awakening, Awakening is what stopped the franchise from going down the drain. With that in mind, I tried to think of changes while also knowing what was within the realm of possibility.

1. A more rounded Avatar. As a self insert, I think Robin is what made Awakening so successful, since people felt they were now directly connecting to the other characters with a character all their own. To improve on this, I would think of adding in a few things:

a. More custom hairstyles, colors, and perhaps even avatar builds. I was pretty satisfied with awakening's creation system, so I can't really say.

b. Choices in support conversation. To help the avatar seem more connected to the player, give them some choices in the support conversations with other characters. They shouldn't effect the outcome of the support (Like prevent it from increasing in rank) but offers people a bit of variation.

c. More story choices. Yes, the choices in Awakening did not have much impact on the events in the story. However even then it gave me more opportunities to choose how I would react. With the promise of more choices and more potential story impact in this next game, I think this is the most possible.

2. A nerf to the dual system. I agree it's too overpowered. For those who want to play the game with difficulty and don't use the grind items or grind DLC they should get their challenge. To that effect, this change and the next couple I hope will be for that. I wouldn't say remove the system, but nerf it.

3. Return the magic triangle. I sorely miss the magic triangle from the previous games in awakening. We need it back, to balance magic. Magic right now is vastly overpowered with almost no equal. If it becomes fire, wind, and lightning I'll be sad since the magic also suffered from bland final fantasy naming in Awakening, but before I complain about names and such I'd prefer having the triangle back.

4. A Taguel triangle. I don't want to see the more unique units get thrown out the window. I know at the end of the day you may have only one of each type, (Say Manakete, cat/bunny and bird-person or something) but that triangle can keep them from seeming overpowered as well, though I suppose managing their stone resource was hard before. Also, have their be enemies of these types as well.

5. one or two more "Build to win" characters. In the FE games, there's always a few untis you get that start off at a disadvantage, but become amazing with training. I'd like to see a few more of these types (Villager, Dancer, etc.)

6. More enemy types! Soldiers are well and good, but I also enjoyed fighting the monsters from Sacred stones just as much. The variation helped the game avoid becoming stale from fighting the same enemies over and over. The east vs. west is a good start, but I think if they add in Taguel enemies and monsters with various types like Sacred stones they could have the best enemy line-up yet.

7. Personally: No more child characters. Not just the ones from the future, but the characters drawn like Nowi and Ricken were. It doesn't sit well with myself or any of my friends who have played the game to send what looks like 12-year olds to their possible deaths. Yeah war can be nasty, but that's just cruel and unusual. No matter how old Nowi claims to be.

8. Recruitment of units should end around halfway through the game just like Awakening (Barring the extra characters of Say'ri, Tiki, Falvia, Basilio and the paralogue bonuses right before the final chapter). By the halfway point most people have figured out their team of characters and they aren't going to use new characters after that point because most of the time they just won't stack up. Add-in that none of those late additions had supports (Aside from Tiki kind of) and there's almost no reaosn for your team to keep recruiting past mid-game. It's also much more difficult to care about a guy you meet three chapter before the end then a guy you got in chapter 3 or 4. You're just more attached.

9. Keep Casual mode and grinding. While Classic will always be there for 'true' Fire Emblem players (Myself included) we shouldn't bar other people entry to the series. If Casual mode and being able to grind helps draw more people to Fire emblem, I'm all for it.

10. Female Lord as main hero. I've always preferred Lyn to Eliwood and Hector and Eirika to Ephraim, but there's no denying they've only been important for so many chapters before their man character mantle got taken from them. So this time, give it to a female Lord and Let her keep it.

Last but not least, and interesting possibility I heard is the Avatar may BE a Lord this time around. That would be pretty interesting in my book.

Since FE:A and a few bits of the beginnings of other games are all I have to go on (/busy university student), I'll just list some general gameplay things instead of FE-specific things.

1. (Although it will probably NEVER happen for FE:IF) Voice acting for all lines of dialogue; or at least all the plot-important lines of dialogue (something along the lines of how Professor Layton games do it) and more than one complete sentence for the rest of the units in your army. (You know, outside of the "My name's Donny, er, Donnel." introduction sentences. The part after Emm dies and the whole army is supporting Chrom I felt should have been voice acted.)

2. Keep the marriages. In my book, it's not an JRPG with a self-insert character and a massive cast of supporting characters without having some marriage involved. (Harvest moon, Runescape, Conception 2, etc.)

3. More realistic pair-up mechanics.
Because a horse riding on a wyvern is my idea of ridiculously hilarious (literally).

4. More sad tear-wrenching scenes. For some reason I classify good games that make me cry as good games above the bar.

Surprised no one else has mentioned the voice acting yet.