Top 10 things I would like to see in Fire Emblem if

Snowy_One

All this pegasusu talk has me confused about the FE3 enemy Peg Knights. Mental derp on IS's part, or justified somehow? However, in the first FE there was a Draco Knight boss, and those promoted from Pegasi at the time.

I think Echidna is the closest thing we've had to a female axe main so far. She's pretty much the only viable Armads user for a girl, though Wendy is also a possibility if you get her to General fast enough. I'm partially saying this because she's the only Axe main you ever get in FE8 Girls, a role she fills well in that hack, but being the first fem!Hero ever is a perk as well.

I need to play that Sun God thing. If it's embarrassing enough for the creator to feel like the patch for it needs to be taken off the topic, that's something that I need to see.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It got mentioned a while back (FE7 IIRC) that it takes a trained Pegasus Knight to keep her steed under control with a man on board, hence why it's possible for them to rescue men but not for men to fly them.

Considering that Sumia literally just found a pegasus knight on the street started riding it way, the fact that she (and any reclass pegasus knight in the game) can carry a male unit no problem seems to question the need for training to do that (I know story and gameplay segregation and all that), the thing that always bugged me more was WHY don't pegasus like males riding them females anyways, as in what is it about poccessing a Y chromosome makes pegasus go berserk.

All this pegasusu talk has me confused about the FE3 enemy Peg Knights. Mental derp on IS's part, or justified somehow? However, in the first FE there was a Draco Knight boss, and those promoted from Pegasi at the time.

I think Echidna is the closest thing we've had to a female axe main so far. She's pretty much the only viable Armads user for a girl, though Wendy is also a possibility if you get her to General fast enough. I'm partially saying this because she's the only Axe main you ever get in FE8 Girls, a role she fills well in that hack, but being the first fem!Hero ever is a perk as well.

Just because enemy pegasus knights actually wear helmets and armor doesn't mean there males, they could just be females that actually like being properly dressed for combat

And the only female Axe-mains is only true if you discount mounted units, because sans Echidna there has also been (FE9) Jill, (FE9/10) Titiania, (FE11/FE12) Minerva, and Cherche, though she was the first (and Echidna is the first female to use axes at base, the first female that can use axes period was Lachesis)

Petty semi-correction about Echidna, in FE5 Machua could promote to hero (Yes I know techinally the class was called Mercenary, but it's a sword and axe non-mounted promoted class, it's a Hero)

Just because enemy pegasus knights actually wear helmets and armor doesn't mean there males, they could just be females that actually like being properly dressed for combat

And the only female Axe-mains is only true if you discount mounted units, because sans Echidna there has also been (FE9) Jill, (FE9/10) Titiania, (FE11/FE12) Minerva, and Cherche, though she was the first (and Echidna is the first female to use axes at base, the first female that can use axes period was Lachesis)

Petty semi-correction about Echidna, in FE5 Machua could promote to hero (Yes I know techinally the class was called Mercenary, but it's a sword and axe non-mounted promoted class, it's a Hero)

You do have a good point there, but I believe that the body shape of the FE3 generic Pegasus Knights look male.

headdesk intensifies

Whoops. I've played enough Tellius to know that and Awakening all the way through, geez Force.

Lack of Jugdral knowledge on my part. Not too petty, but Echidna is the first pre-promoted fem!Hero ever then =P

Considering that Sumia literally just found a pegasus knight on the street started riding it way, the fact that she (and any reclass pegasus knight in the game) can carry a male unit no problem seems to question the need for training to do that (I know story and gameplay segregation and all that), the thing that always bugged me more was WHY don't pegasus like males riding them females anyways, as in what is it about poccessing a Y chromosome makes pegasus go berserk.

Actually, an animal treating another animal different based entirely on their gender does make perfect sense. Picking off the males in a population but leaving the females helps to ensure a continuing harvest for example. Granted, horses are a bit smarter than bugs, but even so, treating the different genders of a different race differently is still... not uncommon in the wild (if only because one is a bigger threat/better prey).

It could honestly be as simple as 'Men smell funny to a pegasus', especially since FE is a world where magic and deities do exist. For all we know the pegasus bloodline could simply be that way due to magic and/or being a magical creature. The problem comes not from women being the only pegasus riders but from men being able to rescued by relative rookie riders. Sure, I can accept pegasus riders being only female and/or part of a female-only squad and it's not a lore-problem to say a trained rider can keep one under control/from panicking/whatever to rescue a man, and it can even be passed off that one or two people might just have a natural affinity that lets them keep a pegasus under control, but if every pegasus rider is either a skilled veteran or has a natural affinity for the mounts to keep them under control there is some serious BS going down.

It's definitely been said, but I would like to see online multiplayer (or even local multiplayer? So long as I don't have to put my beloved characters under the control of the AI...). And there's a part of me that's hoping for an Avatar Lord this time (half because Chrom died too much when I wasn't protecting him. Sigh.). I also kind of liked that there were easy grind skirmishes in FE14 but I didn't like that I had to do them to access a shop sometimes, so maybe finding a way around that?

I'm sure I read a post in this thread with an idea of, like, a bounty thing. Just too lazy to go find it again.

10) Third-tier units. They were neat, but their Occult skills for the most part were just a reskinned Lethality. Seriously though, Marksmen getting 2-3 range was INCREDIBLE. also if we could rebalance archers to make them viable again, that'd be great.

The Occult skills were definitely too powerful and made the few 3rd tier enemies you fight super risky to engage unless you attacked them with an overpowered character or someone with Nihil. I hear a lot of people wanting 3rd teir classes back, but why? To look cooler? To have higher stat caps?

The Occult skills were definitely too powerful and made the few 3rd tier enemies you fight super risky to engage unless you attacked them with an overpowered character or someone with Nihil. I hear a lot of people wanting 3rd teir classes back, but why? To look cooler? To have higher stat caps?

I think it's more a matter of potential. Sort of why most RPG's have the level-cap at 100 when you'll probably only be around 60-70 by the endgame. Special abilities aside the third tier allowed units to become very pronounced in their strengths and weaknesses as well as have a distinct growth from where they were back in the beginning. The potential that came with that extra tier is simply so appealing that, even if it would be functionally the same as just having near-max level units with two tiers, is a far more attractive option.

You are right in that they do need to tone down the skills a bit. IMO they should make them mostly utility-focused. Imagine if a General, instead of having Luna, had an ability that would force the first attack of every EP that targets a unit up to three squares away targets him instead of that unit. Might be useless combat-wise since it doesn't directly enhance the power of any unit, but it makes generals infinitely more valuable as tanks.

I think it's more a matter of potential. Sort of why most RPG's have the level-cap at 100 when you'll probably only be around 60-70 by the endgame. Special abilities aside the third tier allowed units to become very pronounced in their strengths and weaknesses as well as have a distinct growth from where they were back in the beginning. The potential that came with that extra tier is simply so appealing that, even if it would be functionally the same as just having near-max level units with two tiers, is a far more attractive option.

You are right in that they do need to tone down the skills a bit. IMO they should make them mostly utility-focused. Imagine if a General, instead of having Luna, had an ability that would force the first attack of every EP that targets a unit up to three squares away targets him instead of that unit. Might be useless combat-wise since it doesn't directly enhance the power of any unit, but it makes generals infinitely more valuable as tanks.

I just didn't see 3rd tier units in Radiant Dawn being that fundamentally different than 2nd tier units in any other game. Most of your units started off at 2nd tier and some classes actually LOST weapons skills (compared to what they had in PoR) and wouldn't get them back until 3rd tier. In my opinion, only two tiers are needed to highlight the strengths and weaknesss of each class.

Ugh, no, no third tier promotions please. It's just an excuse for more number inflation, that's all. It was acceptable in Radiant Dawn because of all the returning characters, but even then it wasn't needed. And it's even more of an issue with branching promotions, which I actually sort of like. (Especially Trickster.) Hell, let's go back to capping stats at 30. Three is a good number, any multiple of ten is a good number, clearly 30 is the ideal limit for stat caps.

I don't really feel we need a magic triangle either... Wait, correction, I don't feel we need 3-5 separate weapon types for tomes. The fire>wind>thunder>fire triangle can come back I guess, though why you're attacking mages with other mages often enough that it matters is beyond me. As for what I do want:

1. You know that thing where wind magic is effective against flyers? Stop doing that! It's like, why do bows even exist at this point?
  2. Book me on the "more variety in objectives" cruise. Sure, these seem like places where IS screws things up more easily, but let's have some backbone. (From us or them?)
  3. More personal skills. Class skills are nice, but there's some chaff that needs to be cut there. In fact, let's see some whole new ways to gain skills. Maybe bring back weapon S-ranks and attach a skill to each type, like Renewal for staves? Or maybe tying them to support ranks would be better, though with some limit on how many you can have. Base it on who the support is with, so you have some options: Learn Daunt from the overacting ham, Vantage from the thief chick, Mercy from the player avatar... (Translation: Dragging Galeforce access into shipping wars was entertaining. Do more of that.)
  4. Base conversations. Or maybe "world map conversations", if they must. (Rip off TearRing Saga? Sure. Why not?) So help me, sometimes I like my optional character fluff to relate to current plot events and/or include more than two people.
  5. Bring back item stealing and "canto". Maybe shove too, I'unno.

Well, there's a few other, smaller things I'm less sure are actually good ideas like giving bows a little innate Crit, but I guess that's enough.

I don't have a list of ten things, especially things that haven't already been said (like more varied objectives and the camp calling for toned down skills), but there are a couple of small things that would just make me pleased as pie. If pie can be pleased.

1. More realistic weapons (as far as non-magic weapons go) and armor. I'm really not a fan of the over designed armor in Awakening, but seeing as we got the same artist back on board, I doubt this wish is coming true. I can still hope for better looking swords and spears than the excessively fat blades in Awakening, tho (the iron and silver swords were especially bad in my opinion).

2. Less bombastic battle music. I like the idea behind having a calmer map theme transition into a more exciting version for the battles, but Awakening took the "exciting" part a little too far in my humble opinion. It was just too much, too loud and sounded worse for it. i could probably do bombast if there's more timpani though

6) Bonus objectives. It's neat to try to accomplish everything the map asks of you. Examples being trying not to kill any of the priests in Palmeni Temple in PoR or trying not to let ANY of your allied units die. It's these extra objectives piling on a small bit of stress that makes them all worthwhile.

7) Complicated recruitments. Xavier. That's all I'm going to say.

Also these. For sure these.

Edited by The Legendary Falchion

2. Less bombastic battle music. I like the idea behind having a calmer map theme transition into a more exciting version for the battles, but Awakening took the "exciting" part a little too far in my humble opinion. It was just too much, too loud and sounded worse for it. i could probably do bombast if there's more timpani though

The Dot Hack games (the original 4) had a really smooth transition between the field and battle music, like what you are describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrIgOyiHvk How do I embed videos?

(battle starts at 00:50)

I think this could fit in this Fire Emblem considering how they changed the map/battle transition.

Actually, an animal treating another animal different based entirely on their gender does make perfect sense. Picking off the males in a population but leaving the females helps to ensure a continuing harvest for example. Granted, horses are a bit smarter than bugs, but even so, treating the different genders of a different race differently is still... not uncommon in the wild (if only because one is a bigger threat/better prey).

It could honestly be as simple as 'Men smell funny to a pegasus', especially since FE is a world where magic and deities do exist. For all we know the pegasus bloodline could simply be that way due to magic and/or being a magical creature. The problem comes not from women being the only pegasus riders but from men being able to rescued by relative rookie riders. Sure, I can accept pegasus riders being only female and/or part of a female-only squad and it's not a lore-problem to say a trained rider can keep one under control/from panicking/whatever to rescue a man, and it can even be passed off that one or two people might just have a natural affinity that lets them keep a pegasus under control, but if every pegasus rider is either a skilled veteran or has a natural affinity for the mounts to keep them under control there is some serious BS going down.

it's probably some silly sexist reason like 'men are too violent/impure/gross for pegasi to handle, only women are special enough'.

Edited by FrostyFireMage

it's probably some silly sexist reason like 'men are too violent/impure/gross for pegasi to handle, only women are special enough'.

Personally, I'm imagining one doing the Mr. Ed lip-flap deal, going "i don't want no man ridin' me. das gay." Then I remember that doesn't account for female pegasi, but it's still funny so I'll mention it.

But joking aside, I really don't think the rescuing issue is BS so much as a small and perfectly excusable case of gameplay and story segregation. Yes they could give, say, an additional "your mount is being fidgety" penalty when peg-knights carry male units, but why even go to the trouble? If they couldn't be bothered to waive/reduce the rescue penalty for horseback units doing what amounts to just carrying a second rider, something this specific is just not happening, and rightly so. And since you often have riders going on about trust and bonding and whatnot, I always figured there was just a significant difference between carrying a male passenger around because their rider said so versus accepting a male as an actual long-term partner. Dunno, not exactly knowledgeable in the psychology of fictitious victims of domestication, be they misandrist horsebirds or otherwise.

Honestly, the potential justifications for why a Pegasus only accepting a woman, aside from social/religious reasons, are pretty bad (men can't be pure/good-hearted but the woman knowingly supporting the genocidal nation can?). Just because something isn't impossible doesn't mean it should happen after all. However, I do like the distinction of having a few classes be male/female only and I do feel that distinction is worth more than having a token rider. Just, IMO, don't make it more complex than 'our order only accepts women'. Heck, if you REALLY wanted a male pegasus rider maybe you could use that as a commentary. The order of the Pegasus Rider has been woman-only for centuries and preached that only girls can fly them, yet when one man finds out that this isn't true they try to chase him away, kill him, and cover it up and it just so happens that he stumbled into the lords army while fleeing for his life.

The Dot Hack games (the original 4) had a really smooth transition between the field and battle music, like what you are describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrIgOyiHvk How do I embed videos?

(battle starts at 00:50)

I think this could fit in this Fire Emblem considering how they changed the map/battle transition.

Yeah, I like that a lot, actually, especially the way the percussion started the transition. Something like that in FE14 would certainly make me happy.

Ilyana was defensive?

Ilyana, when supported right, could end up with 15 DEF and 33 RES. Tormod clocks in at 14 DEF, 25 RES, doesn't get extra defense from supports, and starts off underleveled. Soren is self-explanitory. Calill clocks in at 13-14 DEF and 22 RES with no bonuses. Bastion clocks in at 15 DEF and 24-25 RES when supported. So, of the available mages, Ilyana has the best potential defenses. Course this is not factoring in evade, but I consider that to be a bit different than 'defensive'.

Oh. And just to be clear, while Rhys (shockingly) can have more DEF, it takes a lot of work or a BEXP dump to get there as well as an Ulki support and I don't consider Mist to be a mage. +5 Attack/DEF is, surprisingly, very useful.

Gameplay, story and the like...

Okay, I think I get it now. I can understand why you might want the atmosphere of the story to come back. However, since FE14 seems to be focusing on a large scale war as opposed to the smaller scale conflicts in FE7, that specific atmosphere might not be coming back- at least not in its entirety. Still, could be nice. I'm not as familiar with the GBA games, especially not FE7, but I did enjoy them.

Most have already been said, but w/e.

1. Third tier classes, remove reclassing completely. Or at least not infinite reclassing.

2. Skill capacity. Could help with galeforce being too OP. Especially since it pretty much destroys the need for dancers.

3. Give snipers and swordmasters their innate crit bonus back. And keep the xxxfaire skills for classes locked to one weapon type.

4. At least 1 completely new map objective. Nothing anywhere near similar to current objectives (Sieze is pretty much the same as defeat boss).

5. Light magic, etc.

6. Auto promote at level 21.

7. Elevation bonuses and breakable/interactable terrain.

8. I never really used them, but I would kinda like to see those shine barriers return. Interesting concept and great for defend chapters.

9. Discussed to death, but pair up nerf. Love the concept, but horribly executed.

If you want I can come up with a multitude of objectives. Also, played Blackguards 2 earlier and an idea hit me.

Mercenary-only chapters: These will be chapters where the difficulty is ramped up immensely, but all the units involved will be non-discript NPC's. This way the player can be placed in a position where losses are not an insta-restart. Additionally, increasing the power of the mercenaries can be done via completing optional objectives not required to beat the main storyline.