Has Fire Emblem "promoted" as a series?

Florete

FE7 was the series' promotion from an FE8 trainee class. Now it's a Paladin.

Can it moonwalk now when it crits?

The Emblem has left its Lv.30 Lord nest, and has ventured on to becoming something great, something megnificent, something that will probably be more well-known than F-Zero.

Dammit, now I feel bad for Mancat.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, and this is the one thing that annoys me. These people that were brought in from Awakening should be going "Hey, maybe the previous games in the series are also really good! Let's go play and talk about them too!" not "Awakening is what matters now, who cares about the rest!"

This sort of attitude is what Nintendo took and made the Wii completely lose its steam in its last years.

"Our new console sells to an entirely new audience with entirely different gaming sensibilities than the usual gamer audience, what do we do now?"

"I know, let's force traditional gaming sensibilities on them with Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M and Skyward Sword!"

Waifus werent the thing that made the game sell, it was its marketing and being advertised all over the place. People simply stayed on board for the waifus.

Minecraft took off entirely on word of mouth and now it's the biggest game of our time.

The importance of marketing is still being overstated.

Though, I'm probably going to be derided yet again for saying that Awakening had good sales because it is good.

Edited by Ike-Mike

Except Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword did very well and got great reviews. :/

They're two of my favorite non-FE games of all time, btw.

Edited by Anacybele

Though, I'm probably going to be derided yet again for saying that Awakening had good sales because it is good.

While I'll agree that being good was definitely a strong contribution, the fact remains that not all good games get good sales.

Except Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword did very well and got great reviews. :/

They're two of my favorite non-FE games of all time, btw.

All things considered, Skyward Sword didn't do very well.

All things considered, Skyward Sword didn't do very well.

Except it did. Quote from Zelda Wiki.

Reception

The game received universal acclaim, gaining a Metacritic rating of 93 (out of 100). It obtained a perfect score from IGN (10/10) and 98% from the UK Official Nintendo Magazine; it is tied with Ocarina of Time 3D for the magazine's highest-ever review score. However, Gamespot rated it lower than previous games in the series, giving it a score of 7.5 out of 10. Fans have praised the new combat system, but complained about free-roaming in the sky, saying it lacked more interesting places to explore.[citation needed] In addition, the game has been criticized for being too linear.

The game sold over 2 million copies worldwide on a month of release. As of March 2012, the game had sold 3.52 million copies worldwide.[41]

Excellent reviews, and those sales are hardly bad. Yes, some fans complained about the linearity and such, but still.

Edited by Anacybele

I was talking about sales. Those aren't high sales numbers for a Zelda game on a console in the time of and with as large of an install base as the Wii.

Mind you, it's not poor, but it's not "very well."

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Well if you compare it to Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and the original, all of which sold at least over 6.5 million. It also was really hyped and was in production for like five years so people were expecting more.

Uh, I don't care? Like I said, I still think its sales were good enough to say that it sold very well.

Anyway, this is getting very off-topic. Right now I'm hoping to see FE continue to grow bigger as a series.

Edited by Anacybele

I could reply to that, but I probably shouldn't

Minecraft took off entirely on word of mouth and now it's the biggest game of our time.

So Awakening was marketed more and presumably less popular than Minecraft. Does that mean marketing has a negative effect on sales?

Edited by Baldrick

Minecraft was a different story though, wasn't it? It was more that a few influential individuals were playing it and then their followers spread the word.

The power of an influential individual can rival good marketing. Think Chuggaconroy-Xenoblade or Pewdiepie-Flappy Bird.

Uh, I don't care? Like I said, I still think its sales were good enough to say that it sold very well.

These matters are relative. Skyward Sword underperformed - or was average at best - as a 3D Zelda game. This is just how it is. You can't just say "Well I think it sold well so it sold well." That's not how it works. I can say RD sold amazingly well with its sub-500k sales, but that wouldn't make any sense, would it? No, I'd just be wrong.

Relativity matters. Awakening is considered to have been a success because it sold ~1.5 million, much higher than any other game in its series and pretty good in general for a game of its kind. Despite selling more in raw numbers than Awakening, Skyward Sword is considered to have not done too well because of what it must be compared to. I mean, sure, if you go by raw numbers, more than 3 million is a great amount that plenty of game developers would love to see, but that's simply not an accurate comparison.

Relativity is the reason this topic can exist. If a 3D Zelda game got Awakening's sales numbers, it would be considered a commercial failure, yet we can say Fire Emblem is growing.

Sorry, can't help myself.

To be blunt, I could think that the sky is purple, but I would still be wrong. That doesn't mean I'm not welcome to my opinion, mind you.

Edited by Baldrick

Sigh...

I KNOW what relativity and shit is. I'm saying that I don't think Skyward Sword sold THAT badly compared to other Zelda games.

When you have actual numbers and compare them to previous numbers, how you feel/what you think about it isn't really relevant... Because it's a smaller number by a decent margin.

Edited by L95

Does that mean marketing has a negative effect on sales?

Not negative, but minimal and even, like in Minecraft's case, negligible.

Marketing is the catalyst to the real sales driver, word of mouth.

There's also that "Marketing is what you do when your product is bad." quote which emphasizes what I'm trying to say here.

Minecraft was a different story though, wasn't it? It was more that a few influential individuals were playing it and then their followers spread the word.

The power of an influential individual can rival good marketing. Think Chuggaconroy-Xenoblade or Pewdiepie-Flappy Bird.

This is more like it!

Though I differentiate between a department of people thinking up new ways of what we're supposed to like and internet personalities who want to show everyone their new favourite thing.

I honestly find it a little deplorable that these departments are looking for ways on how to exploit those personalities.

Also there's nothing wrong with liking a game that hasn't sold well, but you have to disregard your personal feelings in a sales discussion.

I also personally dislike people who hate something because it's popular a lot more than those who like something because it's popular.

Every rule also has its exceptions, but then I ask myself, how many exceptions can there be to any rule?

Edited by Ike-Mike

Tell that to the Tellius games. FE9 is great, but sold like shit. Why? There was plenty of word of mouth. It was just badly promoted. Minecraft got lucky and i think accessibility also plays a part in how a game sells. Minecraft being a PC game (originally) has a lot to do with that.

Marketing is the catalyst to the real sales driver, word of mouth.

If marketing increases word of mouth, and word of mouth is a large factor in sales, wouldn't it follow that marketing is a large factor?

(I don't believe Awakening was a bad game that the marketing "tricked" people into buying it; the marketing just increased people's awareness of the series. Stuff like Casual Mode probably helped give the series a wider appeal as well.)

Well, I bought Awakening because of word of mouth. Most people I knew praised the game. If something's really good, word of mouth may sell more games than you think.

(and Awakening was the first time I heard of Fire Emblem, too)

PoR is a poor gauge. It came late in the Gamecube's cycle, and for a console which didn't have a large userbase. Not the best recipe for high sales.

Edited by Cerberus87

Word of mouth might be a reason why a player buys a game but its basis lies on the marketing of the game. Awakening had a ridiculous marketing and promotion in comparison to the rest of the series, it had a shitload of trailers, teasers, stuff explaining level ups, pair up, support and whatnot. IntSys was like "risking it all" with FE13. The others just had a typical trailer and not the support they gave to Awakening, iirc.