Crocs VS Socks and Sandals

hammerene

Crocs VS Socks and Sandals  

22 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• CROCS
    • SOCKS AND SANDALS
    • NEITHER THEY ARE BOTH FROM THE 8TH CIRCLE OF HELL

I remember some people complaining about their feet drying out. I wear socks all the time and have never had dried out feet before. Though I have never tried doing the tacky of sandals and socks before.

You see those holes in the crocs? That's where your dignity leaks out.

But seriously, my dad wears crocs and swears up and down that they're super comfy. I told him as long as it's not the ones with the little but of faux fur I will allow him to be seen in public with me.

When I worked for the BSA we were required to have close-toed shoes, but we could wear sandals as long as we wore socks with them. Chacos and olive green socks were quite the fashion statement let me tell you. I honestly got so used to wearing my socks with my sandals and seeing everyone else do it during the summer, that I had a hard time remembering that it was not considered very stylish when I got back to school.

I remember in undergrad socks and sandals was cool as fuck (at my school that is), and now that i'm in grad school and people at this school are all about fashionable sneakers n surfer flip flops n shit without sandals. People've commented on my fashion sense multiple times but people don't understand the comfort of socks mixed with the freeness of sandals.

Honestly it depends on the sandals... =o

It's mad uncomfortable if the sandals don't have enough room for socks or have a strap between your big toe and smaller toes

Integrity just happens to have just the right sandals to go with socks~

For cultural reasons I have an extremely dislike for socks + sandals (that's basically the biggest fashion crime you can commit here in Brazil) but IMO crocs manage to be even worse =x

Neither of them

debate opener: crocs v. sandals with socks. possible alternative: flip flops?

let's take a look at both ends of the argument here. first there's crocs. now, as y'all know full well these motherfuckers are ugly, uncomfortable, and made of shitty material prone to wearing down. crocs are totally out of the question. it ain't look good, it ain't feel good, it ain't putting food on your table. you walk into your boss on your day off wearing crocs you get fired on the spot. you don't trust a man who wears crocs to be a responsible fucking professional.

with that out of the way, let's look at socks and sandals for a second. this one's a bit trickier. sandals are dorky as fuck to a fault but they are comfy as hell if you know what you're buying. socks amplify both comfy and dorky infinitely, but on the flipside it looks so goofy you're fucking raw for wearing that. you don't give a fuck. i respect a man who wears socks and sandals. i don't cross a man like that cos he might fuck me up any moment. either that or he's one of those quirky funny old people EITHER WAY it doesn't change how much of a fucking douchebag you look like.

see this is where flip flops come in. they're comfy enoughish and they barely call any attention. not really much to say about flip flops. they're just ok. but just ok is better than either option presented.

Edited by fuccboi

For cultural reasons I have an extremely dislike for socks + sandals (that's basically the biggest fashion crime you can commit here in Brazil) but IMO crocs manage to be even worse =x

Neither of them

I added a "Neither" option, just fyi.

And why did this thread get moved to the Serious Discussion forum... I'm so confused.

do you go through life trying to attract as little attention as possible? flip flops are an adequate solution for many situations but that's it, they'll never be anything more. they look better than "look like you're literally walking on styrofoam" crocs and they're at least a little more dudebro, less nerd than sandals. that's an objectively good thing, i'll grant, but they're also not especially comfortable and hell, even really good flip flops are still just really good flip flips.

the crux of the socks and sandals problem is that socks and sandals are both fashion accessories. sandals are basically kind of goobery to begin with, you can't wash that away with any amount of trying. the socks and sandals problem is that people take a fashion accessory, khaki sandals, and pair them with a fashion accessory, white socks, that have absolutely no business going together. socks and sandals that make an effort to match, say olive or army green socks with dark brown sandals, don't pose any hazard to the viewer - while the socks don't make the sandals any less goobery, they also don't make them any worse, unlike when the same sandals are paired with hanes white cotton socks.

this also solves a major problem with flip flops: socks and sandals can be warm as fuck. you can take good wool socks, strap on some decent sandals, and walk on clouds straight to heaven in freezing weather. and if it warms up? take the socks off, you've still got sandals on. at least there's some practicality involved here.

so i posit that the heart of the problem is twofold: first, the lack of color coordination in any fashion accessory makes you look like a dingus, and socks and sandals that don't go together make you look like an epic dingus. second, that hanes white cotton socks sold in bulk look like anus no matter what you pair them with.

And why did this thread get moved to the Serious Discussion forum... I'm so confused.

because this thread is serious business, bro

Edited by Integrity

excellent post. you raise a lot of valid points.

do you go through life trying to attract as little attention as possible? flip flops are an adequate solution for many situations but that's it, they'll never be anything more. they look better than "look like you're literally walking on styrofoam" crocs and they're at least a little more dudebro, less nerd than sandals. that's an objectively good thing, i'll grant, but they're also not especially comfortable and hell, even really good flip flops are still just really good flip flips.

this is something i agree with entirely. my point is that flip flops are on the whole better than both crocs and socks & sandals by virtue of being neither, just a perfectly mediocre alternative.

the crux of the socks and sandals problem is that socks and sandals are both fashion accessories. sandals are basically kind of goobery to begin with, you can't wash that away with any amount of trying. the socks and sandals problem is that people take a fashion accessory, khaki sandals, and pair them with a fashion accessory, white socks, that have absolutely no business going together. socks and sandals that make an effort to match, say olive or army green socks with dark brown sandals, don't pose any hazard to the viewer - while the socks don't make the sandals any less goobery, they also don't make them any worse, unlike when the same sandals are paired with hanes white cotton socks.

now this is something i disagree with fundamentally. here, it comes back to form vs. function. sandals as a fashion accessory are entirely at odds with sandals as utility footwear. fashionable sandals are seldom very comfy and comfy sandals are seldom very fashionable. it goes without saying that if comfiness is removed from the equation the argument for socks & sandals is immediately made null. while it might be true that your example of matching pairs is not immediately offensive to poor bystanders, anything more than a passing glance will reveal that yes, indeed, you are a huge goof. we might have to look for some examples though.

this also solves a major problem with flip flops: socks and sandals can be warm as fuck. you can take good wool socks, strap on some decent sandals, and walk on clouds straight to heaven in freezing weather. and if it warms up? take the socks off, you've still got sandals on. at least there's some practicality involved here.

to be totally honest i hadn't even considered cold weather. you've got a good point there.

so i posit that the heart of the problem is twofold: first, the lack of color coordination in any fashion accessory makes you look like a dingus, and socks and sandals that don't go together make you look like an epic dingus. second, that hanes white cotton socks sold in bulk look like anus no matter what you pair them with.

plain white cotton socks might have a place in this life, though. the privacy of your own home where nobody can see that shit.

because this thread is serious business, bro

should've been in this section in the first place. sheesh. get your tags right.

Edited by fuccboi

this is something i agree with entirely. my point is that flip flops are on the whole better than both crocs and socks & sandals by virtue of being neither, just a perfectly mediocre alternative.

flip flops and socks with sandals hardly overlap, though. sure, you have goobers who wear them in the heat of summer sunshine, but you have people who wear hiking boots to the mall. socks and sandals IMO should be judged in their time: when the weather is a little too cold for your little toesies to wear your comfy-ass sandals, in which case the flip flops would be totally invalidated while there is a way to make the sandals work without making them any more dorky than just wearing sandals straight up: decent socks.

now this is something i disagree with fundamentally. here, it comes back to form vs. function. sandals as a fashion accessory are entirely at odds with sandals as utility footwear. fashionable sandals are seldom very comfy and comfy sandals are seldom very fashionable. it goes without saying that if comfiness is removed from the equation the argument for socks & sandals is immediately made null. while it might be true that your example of matching pairs is not immediately offensive to poor bystanders, anything more than a passing glance will reveal that yes, indeed, you are a huge goof. we might have to look for some examples though.

a fashion accessory can have utility or even be judged around utility. let's take glasses! if you have to wear glasses you have to wear glasses, but that doesn't stop you from looking like a dweeb if you wear dweeby glasses frames or looking foxy as all if you wear decent glasses. imo both of those people would be attractive without the glasses, but the former loses some from the glasses while the latter gains some from the glasses. even if you don't agree with my taste in men, i hope you can see my point here!

similarly, sandals are a utility first and foremost. that doesn't mean that all sandals look like automatic ass, or that we should just accept that our sandals look like ass without trying to fashionize them up. i already acknowledged that you'll look like a huge goof in sandals regardless, but wearing decent socks with decent sandals and taking the time to make them match minimizes that; it's a continuum, not binary, and decent socks with decent sandals will pass almost any look test that regular sandals would also pass.

to be totally honest i hadn't even considered cold weather. you've got a good point there.

true story: i took only my sandals to munich when i went there some years ago! i figured we'd be doing assloads of walking so i wanted my best walking shoes and nothing else. took some thick wool socks with me, wore those bitches straight up to the top of the zugspitze and didn't even feel the cold. hell, i even wore shorts since the socks were tall enough - a fashion crime in itself, i know, but i'm pretty sure all the germans just figured i was a swiss tourist with just my knees sticking out :D

plain white cotton socks might have a place in this life, though. the privacy of your own home where nobody can see that shit.

same places as sweatpants, lbr

on the other hand i don't even think plain white cotton socks are that comfortable. my lounging socks of choice are gizmo!