1. 1. Is Micaiah a mary sue?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Micaiah is a Mary Sue at all, and I actually rather like her in the sense that she's a good (if naive) person that is trying to protect her home and her people in the ways that she can. She has strengths and she has flaws. I like that she was a female Light Magic user, since those have been rare in the FE series (and IIRC, she's the only female light magic user that has that ability in her starting class). What I didn't like was the whole personality cult surrounding her in Daein; it didn't really make much sense, and was very poorly executed from a story perspective. "Sacrifice" was kind of a ham-handed mechanics/plot interaction that was supposed to explain why she was "special" and then was quickly forgotten about and was kind of shitty to actually use in battle because Micaiah always seemed to be a magnet for enemy attacks. And then she gets overshadowed by Ike the moment he walks on screen because everyone loves Ike and he's really the star of the show anyway. In some respects, she actually reminds me a lot of Lyn from FE7: the starring character of a tutorial beginning section of the game who then steps back and lets the other male Lord lead the game. Between them and the naive Eirika, I'm just not sure IS really trusts themselves to handle female main characters, but that's another subject entirely and I'm kind of rambling now. I guess what it all comes down to is that, in other universe, I could see Micaiah's story handled a lot better without actually changing anything about her as a person.

I still think she's bland because her personality doesn't go well beyond "she really cares about people."

But yeah, while she was obviously strong-handed by the blood pact, I think she should have still gotten way more flak than she did for her pouring oil tactic.

Fair to both the bland and strong-handed points. We all have different interpretations.

I like that she was a female Light Magic user, since those have been rare in the FE series (and IIRC, she's the only female light magic user that has that ability in her starting class).

I think Linoan counts as one of the rare starting females who can use Light-magic from the starting class.

But then again, that's FE4 and FE5. Do you even see Lachesis' promoted class?

I guess what it all comes down to is that, in other universe, I could see Micaiah's story handled a lot better without actually changing anything about her as a person.

In the hands of a better writer and being able to execute it better, I hope for this day too, because I do think Micaiah's potential was there but was not realized--at least not for me to feel it.

I think Linoan counts as one of the rare starting females who can use Light-magic from the starting class.

But then again, that's FE4 and FE5. Do you even see Lachesis' promoted class?

I never played FE5 (and neither she nor her class didn't appear on Light Magic page of an FE wiki that I checked quick to see if there was anyone I was forgetting), so I didn't know Linoan until I looked her up just now. Whoa, that's one powerful Cleric! Definitely feels more like a promoted class than a base class with all those weapon ranks. Good to see that Micaiah's not alone, though.

In the hands of a better writer and being able to execute it better, I hope for this day too, because I do think Micaiah's potential was there but was not realized--at least not for me to feel it.

Yeah, she has a lot more potential than was realized in the plot of "her" part of the FE10 story.

If the Kamui lord character in FEif does end up being an avatar that you can play as either gender, that will probably be my biggest hope for IS having a well-handled female main character.

It makes me sad that still some people complain about Micaiah.

Of course she's fragile and kinda slow, because she's a MAGE.

Therefore she's very powerful and has excellent accuracy. Unlike other "rapier" weapons she can one shot knights and cavaliers. She's the best boss killer in part 1 and an awesome healer in the lategame.

My answer to the question: No.

Edited by The Taninator

Micaiah is honestly the least Sueish lord in the series.

She isn't perfect, the game spells it out.

I can see why people would dislike her, but I don't think "OMG MARY SUE!!!!1!!1" is a valid accusation. Mary Sues, in my eyes, are simply "perfect author avatars". By that logic, none of the lords from FE1-5 are sues or stus due to Kaga's views... Tbh Robin or Kris are the closest.

It makes me sad that still some people complain about Micaiah.

Of course she's fragile and kinda slow, because she's a MAGE.

Therefore she's very powerful and has excellent accuracy. Unlike other "rapier" weapons she can one shot knights and cavaliers. She's the best boss killer in part 1 and an awesome healer in the lategame.

Yeah, but she's like slower and more fragile than even other mages in the game. I don't have as much trouble keeping Soren and Callil alive as I do her.

Micaiah's major problem is that she's the main character of the group with the strongest enemies.

She's a "victim" of the unbalanced difficulty curve in this game.

Micaiah has pretty much the same growths as Soren. Most mages have low speed. The "speed" mages like Calill and Tormod have issues in other stats.

Micaiah's major problem is that she's the main character of the group with the strongest enemies.

She's a "victim" of the unbalanced difficulty curve in this game.

Micaiah has pretty much the same growths as Soren. Most mages have low speed. The "speed" mages like Calill and Tormod have issues in other stats.

Yeah, Soren has really crappy speed as well. It just hits Micaiah harder because the DB face the hardest enemies.

I had a hard time with Micaiah as well. All I can say is Thani like theres no tommarrow!

You know there's something wrong with a unit when you're legitimately impressed when they are not getting doubled and/or killed in one hit by everything (In my most recent run of RD, my Micaiah was fast enough to not get doubled by any enemy except from the Myrmidon class tree. My mind was blown when she wasn't getting one rounded by physical attackers). Thani is one of my favorite lord specific weapons ever.

Edited by Monado Boy

30% growth is the same as Ike but the base is a measly 7 base. Enemies start to pursuit her so consistenly that no durability in the world with get you safe from the ORKO... which in turn means a restart everytime the RNG screws you in your turn or you misplaced her. Note this is hard mode and most of the time cannot be fixed, altho is possible to get around it with bexp or resolve.

You may feel her a bit dodgier if youopponent has worst byorithym and micaiah is at best byorithym.

On topic: Is nice to see time has been nice to micaiah, I personally don't see her as one... and with FE13 avatar is gonna be a long time before someone can trump that one.

Resolve is a thing, Tauroneo sure doesn't need it even in latter part 3.

Also She isn't a mary sue, she reminds me a little of Leif actually, shes a fair bit more human then usual FE lords. They both actually make mistakes

To be fair, Mages did get screwed over a bit in this game.

What? I thought they were helped by the ledge/elevation mechanic. Micaiah just doesn't get as many opportunities to use it as other mages do and has worse overall growths, I thought.

What? I thought they were helped by the ledge/elevation mechanic. Micaiah just doesn't get as many opportunities to use it as other mages do and has worse overall growths, I thought.

Micaiah has the same speed and magic growth as Soren but with better luck and resistance.

Edited by Monado Boy

Yeah, Soren has really crappy speed as well. It just hits Micaiah harder because the DB face the hardest enemies.

The other thing that hits her harder? No transfer bonus. At least Soren has that privilege.

Micaiah has pretty much the same growths as Soren. Most mages have low speed.

But that 7 base Speed, man. On average, she will still be slower than Ilyana and Soren's base Speed without transfer bonuses.

Soren is only easier to use than Micaiah because he's surrounded by the GM's. I've found Soren to be mostly crappy, because he's basically Micaiah without a version of Thani.

Ehh, Soren needs transfers. The only thing Micaiah has an edge on him with, is healing. He's also got a better speed growth. Soren becomes a beast to be reckoned with when i get a hold of him.

As for the topic, no shes actually not. Micaiah is something of an escapist character, however, she gets handled really badly after part 3. Its Part 4 that fucks up her character a lot. Things start coming out of nowhere regarding her. The reveal about her true identity is not well handled at all. There is foreshadowing enough to open the question about what kind of Branded she is and that she may be related to the herons. But not enough to really point to the Apostle stuff. I think if we had known sooner that Sanaki had an older sister presumed to be assassinated with her grandmother, things wouldnt have been so awkward. Cuz really, this bomb isnt dropped until Lekain says something in part 4. Its bad writing. The reveal makes Micaiah look fucking Sue-ish as all hell and its ugh. I hate how they revealed that. I hate it so much.

Micaiah isnt depicted with too many flaws, but she isnt perfect and the universe around her does not see her as perfect. Daein might, but they are biased (and their stance on things is actually fascinating...), but the rest of Tellius sees Micaiah differently. Which is part of the point. Begnion sees her as A Problem, Crimea sees her as something too familiar for their liking. Gallia is like "u wot m8?" Goldoa will not move. Bird tribes are torn cuz Rafiel backs her. The only reason they all team up with Micaiah in Part 4, is because Ashera had a temper tantrum. I am bothered by Skrimir's immediate praise in her general direction during her first chapter of Part 4, but alas. If it werent for some subplots (like Naesala's and the huge one under the surface of the game involving Soren), the final stretch of RD would be absolute ass if left as is.

Micaiah has to make some morally ambiguous choices during the story, and this earns her a lot of ire. Mary Sue would not gain ire of that nature if the same decisions were made. One thing i have to bitch about though is this: I cannot stand how Sothe treats Micaiah. I cannot STAND it. Its ughhhhhadffsdhfsjfgbshdfgsfsdf

Ehh, Soren needs transfers. The only thing Micaiah has an edge on him with, is healing. He's also got a better speed growth. Soren becomes a beast to be reckoned with when i get a hold of him.

Their speed growths are the same. 35%.

I don't know why we've got this Soren vs Micaiah thing going, but since Soren is a largely bland unit on a really good team and Micaiah kind of the same but on a much less good team, she wins by way of her contribution meaning more.

Their speed growths are the same. 35%.

I don't know why we've got this Soren vs Micaiah thing going, but since Soren is a largely bland unit on a really good team and Micaiah kind of the same but on a much less good team, she wins by way of her contribution meaning more.

She really only wins out by virtue of healing. Before promotion, she can Sacrifice which is useful. (cuz Laura is made of wet tissue) Thani bombing is fun cuz who doesnt love a weapon that smushes armors?

If Soren has the same speed growth, why the hell does he always get speed faster than Micaiah does? Im not even talking about his bases either. I dont think "Because GMs" is a good enough answer for that.

Micaiah has to make some morally ambiguous choices during the story, and this earns her a lot of ire. Mary Sue would not gain ire of that nature if the same decisions were made. One thing i have to bitch about though is this: I cannot stand how Sothe treats Micaiah. I cannot STAND it. Its ughhhhhadffsdhfsjfgbshdfgsfsdf

I just laugh at how he insists on protecting Micaiah. If anything, it's the other way around by endgame.