Codename S.T.E.A.M

Jedi

Ha! The first thing that pops up in my mind when I saw the cover....being xeno is the only thing the Emperor cannot forgive! I swear the guy in the cover is a space marine. Look at that gun, that armor, that face! The gameplay seems to be okay and Lincoln is cool.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike's voice is pretty alright, imo. I'd have liked it to be as deep as Jason Adkins made him, but that's probably just me being THAT used to Jason Adkins doing him. :P

Marth's lines though lol. "I am discovered!" "A moment please!" I just found this to be cheesy compared to Ike's lines. XD

I wonder why they barely have capes here though...

Edited by Anacybele

So my favorite va is voicing Marth. Can't say I think it fits, he needs a much more noble and deep voice IMO.

Reminds me when he was the new Alucard in Sotn PSP, didn't fit at all. Especially compared to the original VA (who was by far easily the best va and one who knew what he was doing in PSX sotn)

I really can't imagine Marth with a deep voice at all...

I really can't imagine Marth with a deep voice at all...

There is a certain regalness he needs. Maybe deep isnt what I'm looking for, but.. Not Yuri Lowenthal's young sounding voice.

Marth actually spoke English in the Amiibo trailer. I was legit surprised, and he sounded just as I imagined he would too!

Got the video link to that?

Yeah, Marth's voice fits very well. (But... Ike's voice in STEAM is kinda eh, maybe I need to hear it more)

Specifically this line, it almost sounds like the VA broke the voice he was doing when he said blast.

Aww...no Jason. -.-

@PuffPuff I played the demo a couple times today... and this game is NOTHING like Advance Wars. It's basically Valkyria Chronicles with a different setting and some tweaked mechanics.

Pros:

- Steam is needed for movement, but also attacking, healing, and over-watch. You have to balance your actions.

- Each character has their own steam gauge, which (usually) only refills at the turn's start. Your units must work together, and the "scout rushing" strategy in VC will fail.

- Characters cannot move during over-watch attacks, making them very reliable. Defensive play is encouraged, and head-on attacks are usually dangerous.

Cons:

- Sometimes, enemies will drop from the sky and attack you on the same turn. That's a Sonic Adventure 2 level of cheapness right there.

- Enemy turns are very slow. There better be a fast-forward button in the full game.

I kinda wonder something: If this series takes off, will someone from it be in a future Smash Bros. game? Ordinarily, the answer would be a fairly obvious yes (at least as an Assist Trophy), but considering the entire cast is either Public Domain literary characters or real world historical figures, they may not be eligible.

As for the game itself, the demo seemed very hit-and-miss. It was way too slow and defense-oriented for my taste. However, that's usually the case with SRPGs for the first few missions before you get the chance to put together a powerful squad (and some required use of defensive tactics is always OK, even in later segments, otherwise it wouldn't really be much of a "strategy" game). The main flaw was probably waiting forever during the enemy phase. Even enemies that didn't move took several seconds to look around (but maybe that's just when you can see them but they can't see you, to indicate that the enemy "knows something's up"). I can only assume that this wait will only get longer as later missions will probably have even more enemies. As for the good aspects, I really liked the art design and the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"-esque idea of having a hero team of Public Domain characters. And, when the game isn't getting bogged down by having to wait forever for the enemy phase to end or only being able to move two squares a turn to avoid being swarmed by every enemy on the map, I had a lot of fun. I'm probably not going to cancel my pre-order because I believe in IS and if I did cancel it I'd probably just pre-order some Wave 4 Amiibos (assuming I managed to get in the 10-second window between pre-orders opening and becoming sold out), including Lucina, whose Amiibo would probably have more actual use with Codename S.T.E.A.M than with Smash Bros.

so an srpg focused on defensive strats.

LTC should be interesting to watch.

What does LTC mean?

I kinda wonder something: If this series takes off-

Hold it there. This is a turn based strategy game where American folk heroes battle aliens in steam punk London, made by a Japanese developer, but there is no evidence that this is a series. One of my pet peeves is when there's a new game - which hasn't even been released yet - and people already assume its the start of a series. It's like when people speculate about Smash Bros. 5 even though Smash 4 Wii U released literally two months ago.

People have already one-turned all the maps in the demo.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/806921-code-name-steam/71151700

(though someone only posted a video of map 1)

http://youtu.be/QlathbxyIpg

Wow. People are doing stunts that crazy already? Do you think every map is designed to be beatable in one turn?

Edited by Zera

I cannot play this game on my 3DS because of my stupid L button.

But I still liked the,what,one minute of gameplay I had before I ran into something needing the L button.I'm going to try to get this game after I get a new normal 3DS In 3 years or so.

Edited by ShadowShine

Now I'm just wondering what other literary or folklore heroes might show up in the game since we have characters from Moby Dick, Peter Pan, and Lovecraft. Might as well shove Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan in there.

Now I'm just wondering what other literary or folklore heroes might show up in the game since we have characters from Moby Dick, Peter Pan, and Lovecraft. Might as well shove Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan in there.

I hope Abraham Lincoln and Katherine (the lady on the ship) are playable characters.

The demo has convinced me to probably not buy the game.

I dunno, this real-time strategy just doesn't seem to be my thing. Valkyria Chronicles frustrated me and this hasn't got me interested at all. It's a shame because I thought it looked pretty good, but at this point I'm going to need to see some glowing reviews to re-convince me to get it.

The demo has convinced me to probably not buy the game.

I dunno, this real-time strategy just doesn't seem to be my thing. Valkyria Chronicles frustrated me and this hasn't got me interested at all. It's a shame because I thought it looked pretty good, but at this point I'm going to need to see some glowing reviews to re-convince me to get it.

Huh? There's no RTS.

http://codenamesteam.nintendo.com/agents/#

The Code Name S.T.E.A.M official site is up. AHHHH! I'm so excited!

srTyJ2.jpg

His special was my favorite! I call it..."Hammer Time!"

Edited by PuffPuff

This game is going to rock. Already feels like pure Tactic-Shooter gold.

I miss games like Jagged Alliance 2 still in the tactical shooter department.