Return of the Risen?

Ambulz

We all see in the trailer when Marx wrecks that big masked monster thing, so while they (I sincerely hope) aren't the Risen from Awakening, it seems there will be the return of monster-like enemies. How do you feel about this, and how do you think they will be implemented?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled. The Risen were a stupidly-executed idea and I wasn't even very fond of the monsters in the plot (or the overall plot itself) of Sacred Stones, but it looks like the third coming is here, so I guess I'll just hope for the best. I think that the giant Mask of Truth golem monster from the trailer is really cool, though, and methinks that'll be our final boss monster. I think it'd be awesome if it was some kind of ancient mystic mediator of the two warring East and West factions, only showing up to quell the fighting between both of them when it gets too intense, as it appears to in the trailer. Odds are, though, knowing how these games go, that it will just be some ancient force that's been sealed away for the main antagonist to reawaken and use for mass destruction, and the monsters that appear are just their mooks.

Maybe that's a bit pessimistic of me, though, and who's to say that there aren't tons of people who actually like the idea? I'm ultimately indifferent so long as they do a good job with the story, thus I remain hopeful. Anyway, what are your guys' thoughts?

Edited by Ambulz

Fourth coming, you forgot Gaiden.

I liked it in FE8, but I hated it in FE13. So if it works like FE8 where the monsters have completely unique classes instead of being palette swaps of human classes, I'm good. I wont Mogalls, Mouthe Doogs, etc. back!

I don't think there will be monsters because the focus seems to be on the conflict between two human factions. Unless one of them starts raising the dead or summoning them, which I don't see as very likely, I don't think they will be a main part. They COULD be back for the occasional side mission, but that wouldn't really resonate with the core story.

I don't think there will be monsters because the focus seems to be on the conflict between two human factions. Unless one of them starts raising the dead or summoning them, which I don't see as very likely, I don't think they will be a main part. They COULD be back for the occasional side mission, but that wouldn't really resonate with the core story.

Keep in mind we don't yet know what the core story is anyway, so we can't rule it out because of that.

It looks like every game that had a world map also had monsters, so I suppose if it has a world map then they're gonna add in monsters.

Fourth coming, you forgot Gaiden.

I liked it in FE8, but I hated it in FE13. So if it works like FE8 where the monsters have completely unique classes instead of being palette swaps of human classes, I'm good. I wont Mogalls, Mouthe Doogs, etc. back!

This I wish we could have had those types of monsters back risen were okay... but they made nearly the entirety of the enemies you were fighting...

now a mixed monster and risen force might be okay with me but I really want something that fights differently...

In appearance the creature appears to look different from a Risen primarily in size

Though if true monsters are added I'd love the option to recruit some as post game bonus characters would be fun to control something like that...(maybe even some reason as to why its following you rather than killing you)

I like how monsters were done in Sacred Stones. They were interesting additions and fit the plot better than Awakening. If monsters are to be involved in this Fire Emblem, I hope they are treated as monsters that appear in, say, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. They can be part of the world without the plot revolving around them. Assuming the World Map and random encounters come back, it would be interesting to have some be human bandits and others be monsters in the wilderness. What if there was an enemy only "Necromancer" class that could keep summoning Wights to attack you?

I think that the monsters are just being controlled by each opposing army. That mouth of truth thing seems to be part of the western side, while whatever the thing that Marx killed was controlled by the eastern side.

Edited by Monado Boy

I think that the monsters are just being controlled by each opposing army. That mouth of truth thing seems to be part of the western side, while whatever the thing that Marx killed was controlled by the eastern side.

That Golem was smashing both sides in the trailer.

How 'bout a few more custom monster classes, along with the human ones? Some of the Sacred Stones stuff would be quite scary, if they were up to Awakening's stat levels (well, except for Stone, because that was just awful).

• 2 weeks later...

They could always do it the way in Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre where monsters are often trained and used by the enemy against you. Maybe implement a Beast Tamer class to go along with it to give monsters buffs?

It would be cool if the game gave you a few monsters of your own for once too.

They could always do it the way in Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre where monsters are often trained and used by the enemy against you. Maybe implement a Beast Tamer class to go along with it to give monsters buffs?

It would be cool if the game gave you a few monsters of your own for once too.

I agree, love the Ogre games.

It would be cool if we had a playable monster, with full characterization, dialogues, and supports! --> Mai waifu

That might be fun. I don't think we need Skeletons and Zombies chatting with each other but if there were a sentient but decidedly non-human race, the stark difference between the culture/morals of that race and humans could be interesting. By non-human, I'm not talking about something like Laguz who are basically humans who can shapeshift. I mean something with a completely inhuman body and ethics.

Perhaps there is a race of dragons that largely consider humans to be prey animals but will cooperate with humans when it suits them.

One word: Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

So many games nowadays have used zombies to the point where I think the concept's been reduced down to a "cash crop". A lot of those times it's cliche and not even done right.

Though if they're actually done right and there's an actual explanation for their existence other than something as cliche as "Plegia's sorcery", then I'd be okay with it.

How 'bout a few more custom monster classes, along with the human ones? Some of the Sacred Stones stuff would be quite scary, if they were up to Awakening's stat levels (well, except for Stone, because that was just awful).

Oh I like this

That might be fun. I don't think we need Skeletons and Zombies chatting with each other but if there were a sentient but decidedly non-human race, the stark difference between the culture/morals of that race and humans could be interesting. By non-human, I'm not talking about something like Laguz who are basically humans who can shapeshift. I mean something with a completely inhuman body and ethics.

Perhaps there is a race of dragons that largely consider humans to be prey animals but will cooperate with humans when it suits them.

Hmm For an aproach I think the flying monsters who use weapons in FE 8 would be a good choice to base a race around (just diversify their options a bit and maybe remove the bow weakness) I'd also love to have a playable monster character even if they are post game only

As for further though rather than making the monsters inherently evil what if they took the social rift idea or perhaps take the "demon lords" vs "dragon gods" war for a spin and have neither be evil but their conflict having left a bitter grudge on both factions who play their pieces against the other as the losses between them in a full out war are to much..

As for Undead the simple solution is Necromancers/Litches who use Undead as soldier pawns. Tried and true I know but it works... now you only need to give the controller motives (and you can have enemies that summon back the stuff you just killed) also Draco Zombies...

Gorgons and Cyclops...es....

Do et.

Hmm For an aproach I think the flying monsters who use weapons in FE 8 would be a good choice to base a race around (just diversify their options a bit and maybe remove the bow weakness) I'd also love to have a playable monster character even if they are post game only.

As for further though rather than making the monsters inherently evil what if they took the social rift idea or perhaps take the "demon lords" vs "dragon gods" war for a spin and have neither be evil but their conflict having left a bitter grudge on both factions who play their pieces against the other as the losses between them in a full out war are to much..

You have no idea how much I'd love having playable gargoyles.

I don't think monsters need to be good or evil, just incompatible with traditional human values. The suggestion I made of dragons eating people (sentient creatures eating one another would be considered barbaric by human values but not usual for a monster race) would give a reason why the races generally don't intermingle, but not necessitate that the monsters are mindless or malicious. It might be interesting if some monster/divine race were manipulating the eastern and western factions in FE14, to fight each other while avoiding direct causalities, like you suggested.

Gorgons and Cyclops...es....

Do et.

Why won't the game let me waifu a gorgon?

You have no idea how much I'd love having playable gargoyles.

I don't think monsters need to be good or evil, just incompatible with traditional human values. The suggestion I made of dragons eating people (sentient creatures eating one another would be considered barbaric by human values but not usual for a monster race) would give a reason why the races generally don't intermingle, but not necessitate that the monsters are mindless or malicious. It might be interesting if some monster/divine race were manipulating the eastern and western factions in FE14, to fight each other while avoiding direct causalities, like you suggested.

Why won't the game let me waifu a gorgon?

I would support the different social views (actually quite like it) but its honestly sadly too far from anything I would probably do...

But To take it even further what if the monsters do to some form or reincarnation don't have a concept of death like humans explaining one why they are willing to rush the player w/ reckless abandon(as they will just come back eventually) and why they are so willing to kill others (they expect them to come back anyway, they don't fully gasp that dead humans stay dead)

I would support the different social views (actually quite like it) but its honestly sadly too far from anything I would probably do...

But To take it even further what if the monsters do to some form or reincarnation don't have a concept of death like humans explaining one why they are willing to rush the player w/ reckless abandon(as they will just come back eventually) and why they are so willing to kill others (they expect them to come back anyway, they don't fully gasp that dead humans stay dead)

Monsters have their own Valhalla that they return to after being slain and are then reborn to fight again... I like it. Get to work, writers!

Perhaps the humans also have magic (Light magic!) that can prevent the reincarnation, which makes the monsters very angry.