Favorite Video Game Villains?

Breezy Kanzaki

I dunno

I just felt like making a thread where we discuss what makes the villains in games so interesting and what we like about them.

It can be the first easy boss or the Super-Mega-Ultra-Secret Boss, just explain why you like them.

Also use spoiler tags when necessary.

And I guess I can start..

[spoiler=Persona 4]

Adachi man.

He's such a great character. Just the way he goes from terrible comic relief detective to actual fucking insane murderer is brilliant. And the fact that his dungeon has great music is a plus. That and his social link in Golden is great because it shows the side you never saw in the original.

[spoiler=Portal/Portal 2]

Man these games were gems.

But I love GLaDOS/Wheatley because they were always there. While like Adachi they were always there, in Portal 1 GLaDOS was always there and you knew she was crazy. You knew you were gonna face her eventually and that made the final boss just great. Then in 2 you have Wheatley who you think wants to help you, which he technically did, but then he goes insane.

Just the presence of the bosses in these puzzle games of all things made them brilliant.

[spoiler=f/sn ]kotomine kirei,I really like him for some reason, I found his character interesting

I also found tenpenny from san andreas to be kind of funny.

Edited by Junk

GLaDOS is pretty awesome.

Magus from Chrono Trigger is probably one of my favorite video game characters of all time, so naturally, he'd make the cut on a list of bamf villains. Hes really sympathetic once you learn his story. Unf i love Magus.

Pretty fond of Sephiroth. Hes batshit insane, but stoically so. And he murders a character on the protagonist side i never liked. :B

Really fond of Ashnard too.

Ganondorf/Ganon is a classic. I cant go wrong with him.

Tough one... The first ones that jump to my mind are

[spoiler=BlazBlue]

Terumi/Hazama is the absolute pinnacle of a villain done right for me. He's batshit insane while at the same time being able to be sarcastic and taunting. He was even undercover so we didn't know he was the real villain until the end of Calamity Trigger, which he also nailed well.

Shout outs to v-13

[spoiler=Guild Wars Prophecies]

The Lich King, who decieves you from Kryta onward the entire campaign and sends Rurik's undead body at you at the finale.

[spoiler=Devil May Cry]

Both Vergil (3) and Credo (4), though I guess they're more like rivals than villains...

[spoiler=Persona 3]

Ikutsuki. I had a nagging feeling that he was going to betray me but it hurt even more when he actually did it.

[spoiler=Persona 4]

Adachi. Absolute perfection.

[spoiler=Shout outs to:]

Genesis (FF7CC)

Ultimecia (FF8)

Chaos (FFD)

Dr. Eggman (Sonic)

Gwyn (Dark Souls)

Edited by Yuki

I thought i was alone on the idea of appreciating villains

sweet

[spoiler=Tales of Vesperia]

Duke Pantarei, man

His motivations for wanting to do what he does is justifiable which imo, gives a villain more depth than just making it black and white morality. His design is pretty great, and not to mention his fights are pretty intense with really great tracks

When Determination Strikes being my favorite battle track in RPGs

[spoiler=Tekken]

Bryan Fury on the other hand, takes that black and white morality i usually do not like, but he turns it up to 11.

he's just so fucking over the top as a cyborg villain, it's great.

not to mention his play style is just, great

[spoiler=Xenoblade]

[spoiler=Xenoblade spoilers]

Zanza being a giant egocentric man, who has been on a giant god complex when he discovered the ability to create life

which is the normal reaction imo. Him manipulating the heroes to make his goals is pretty well good written in this game.

and i love it when he finally has his villainous breakdown being put down by Shulk and the others, with Shulk raising in power just as high as Zanza's

even being able to stop Zanza from stealing his visions

not to mention the final fight against him and the music is pretty great

Last minute addition

[spoiler=Fate/Stay Night]

[spoiler=F/SN spoilers]

Kotomine Kirei is just so fucking interesting as a villain

his whole thing on only finding pleasure and happiness when harming others and doing generally doing bad things sounds cliched as all hell, but they added the depth by making Kirei apparently aware how fucking horrible that is, and how he still feels remorse on how horrible he does

it's that clashing thing in his being i like

continue doing horrible things b/c that's the only way you can feel happy in life, while also being aware of how horrible doing such a thing is?

Really fucking interesting

Edited by Shockmaster

Final Fantasy

Kuja at first glace he wasn't threatening but stealing Garnet's summons and using Bahamut to kill Queen Brahne which crushes Garnet's spirit was great. Then killing Garland and blowing up Terra when he understood his own mortality just increased the wow factor I had when I first played IX.

Cid from Final Fantasy XII mainly because of his relation with Balthier (Who in my opinion was the best character in the game)

Kefka and Exdeath are tied for 3rd

Persona

Adachi was a great villain in Persona 4 because I didn't expect it to be him

others

Lloyd from Legend of the Dragoon

Zhao Longsun (Lan Di) from the Shenmue series (which is why I wish Shenmue 3 would be made)

Edited by Bankai

[spoiler=Xenoblade]

I have a soft spot for Egil. This may partly be because I rolled Egil in my first mafia game ever on SF (and won with that role), but I also find that he's a sympathetic enemy. It really helped that Shulk was able to talk him down and make him see reason, and had nearly ended the whole conflict that way. On Egil's part, it shows that he's at least reasonable to listen to Shulk. Oh yeah, and he sacrificed himself to save the people he had been fighting earlier.

[spoiler=EO4]

Baldur, just Baldur. Yes, his ultimate plan involves sacrificing the vessels, the sentinels, and the Medium. Which is terrible. But all the things he did was only so he could save his empire and his own people. What he was trying to do wasn't right, but it looks to me like he was willing to be "hated" by outsiders if it meant he could save his people. Also, he snaps out of it and turns out to be an okay guy at the end who even helps you in one of the quests. Besides, all those imperial knights were probably loyal to him for a reason.

Edited by Sunwoo

[spoiler=Pokemon]

N's a great villain in B/W,even though he's more hero in B2/W2.I don't know why,maybe because he actually had a different plan in mind instead of ruling the world with an iron fist?He's also a challenge if you decide not to grind.Like me.

[spoiler=M&L:BiS]

Dark Bowser's really cool.He's the dark version of my favourite villain and I still have yet to beat him a second time.Probably just because I lost my game.

[spoiler=MegaManZero]

Copy X.He's a copy of X,causing many Reploids to think that a legendary Reploid sided with the humans to destroy them all.Mainly it was probably because of Dr.Weil,but eh.

Bowser is one,but I don't think he deserves a spoiler.

[spoiler=Xenoblade]Egil - By the time you actually see him outside of Yaldabaoth, the game's made it kinda obvious that he wasn't all bad. And there's the part where he wasn't really an enemy of the party (as Shulk was able to talk him out of revenge) - his actual foe was another, greater evil. In addition, he was willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of the people that he was fighting only a few minutes ago.

Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon) - The first you see of him, he shows you up in a competition big time - you can't even damage him whatsoever (Physical attacks will not only miss, he adds insult to injury by taunting you). And while he does wind up killing Lavitz, when you actually fight and defeat him, Dart tries to finish him, only for one of the Sacred Sisters to take the hit for him, which goes to suggest he's not that bad in the end...

ganon from windwaker is my favourite rendition. He wasn't less evil, than the others but he was more relatable.

Metroid fusion - SA-X. These encounters where the best parts of the game. Really tense.

[spoiler=persona 2 IS/EP]

nyarlathotep is the presonification of humanities evil.He grants humanity the power to make rumors into reality and sits back to watch them destroy themselves. When he realises that he might lose, he kills the world. You basically lost at the end of IS. In his boss dungeon, he laughs at you when you enter. He laughs at you throughout the dungeon. And laughs at you even after you beat him, because fun fact, humanities evil cannot be destroyed. Dude is a dick.

[spoiler=Bioshock (not sure for this one, but might as well put a spoiler just in case]Hmmm... I surprised no one has mentioned any of the Bioshock villains yet. Andrew Ryan is amazing. (I also really liked Comstock, because his transitions from normalISH to insane were pretty cool.)

[spoiler=Knights in the Nightmare] Leonil, Aquina, and Zolgonark were all really cool.

Hades (Kid Icarus), Ashnard, and (while I'm not sure how it's considered a villain) Alatreon (MH Tri) were all pretty cool too.

Edited by Disinnocence

FE4

Alvis, he's complicated and interesting, a true magnificent bastard

I like Skull Kid from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and in extension, the mask itself. I liked that Skull Kid was never truly evil, he was just a kid with some evil magical powers, causing mischief, not knowing the true consequences of his actions. The Mask is something mysterious, almost like a devil that's motives are never truly known, all it seems to want to do is cause corruption and mayhem.

I also like Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising, probably the most out-there villain in Metal Gear history, and that is saying something. His lines are so hammy and over-the-top, which makes him even more fun. Honourable mentions to Liquid and Ocelot.

The Portal series villains are both hilarious.

I know there are more I like, can't think of them.

Hmm... for a top 5:

1) Liquid Snake/Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid/MGS4 Guns of the Patriots)

2) Ganondorf (Zelda series, but especially Wind Waker and Twilight Princess)

3) Akuma (Street Fighter series)

4) Judge Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII)

5) Duke (Tales of Vesperia)

4) Judge Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII)

The bosses are one of the reasons I believe XII is a lot better game then a lot of people give it credit for.

Hades (KIU) for being super charismatic and the most humorous character on a consistent basis

Maxie (ORAS) because he may be an asshole that threatens the player directly but he also has a goal that makes sense and isn't crazy like a certain team leader who's name begins with L

Vayne (FF12) for having a goal that is pretty commendable and one I would personally side with

Nightmare (Kirby's Adventure) because those shades and his music from the NES game is pretty neat

Dr. Wily, specifically MM9's Wily for having an evil plan that required persuasion that made sense

[spoiler=OFF Spoiler]My name is The Batter for a reason

[spoiler=Kingdom Hearts Series Spoiler]Marluxia for being right about Org. XIII not having their best interests at heart and being the best looking member

[spoiler=Xenoblade]

I have a soft spot for Egil. This may partly be because I rolled Egil in my first mafia game ever on SF (and won with that role), but I also find that he's a sympathetic enemy. It really helped that Shulk was able to talk him down and make him see reason, and had nearly ended the whole conflict that way. On Egil's part, it shows that he's at least reasonable to listen to Shulk. Oh yeah, and he sacrificed himself to save the people he had been fighting earlier.

Omg.

[spoiler=Xenoblade]

I love Egil! I was gonna mention him in another post and this is as good a time as any. Egil was the one who knew Zanza was a true unreasonable bastard. While Egil's methods are not nice at all, he knew. There was no reasoning with Zanza. None. I thought maybe our protagonists could do that, but nope. Zanza that much of a dick. Egil had to be shown that he and Shulk were really no different from each other in ideals. Shulk being able to realize that the Machina and Mechonis itself were not mindless machines, helped Egil calm down. The reason i love him so much is the fact he just wont go down without a fight. Hes going to smack some Zanza ass around before he dies. That shit was awesome. So awesome. Plus hes kinda attractive for a robot dude.

Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2, he is:

_Cruel.

_Smart.

_Ruthless.

_A coward.

_A cheating bastard.

_Filthy rich.

_An abusive dad.

_Managed to slay a former playable hero, kicked the rest in the ass, make you feel awful and want him dead.

_Did i mention Butt Stallion?

Omg.

[spoiler=Xenoblade]

I love Egil! I was gonna mention him in another post and this is as good a time as any. Egil was the one who knew Zanza was a true unreasonable bastard. While Egil's methods are not nice at all, he knew. There was no reasoning with Zanza. None. I thought maybe our protagonists could do that, but nope. Zanza that much of a dick. Egil had to be shown that he and Shulk were really no different from each other in ideals. Shulk being able to realize that the Machina and Mechonis itself were not mindless machines, helped Egil calm down. The reason i love him so much is the fact he just wont go down without a fight. Hes going to smack some Zanza ass around before he dies. That shit was awesome. So awesome. Plus hes kinda attractive for a robot dude.

[spoiler=Xenoblade]Indeed. It kinda helps Egil's case that when he actually reveals himself, one of the first things Zanza does is turn most of Alcamoth's High Entia population into Telethia - which just goes to show how much of a dick he is.

More of my favorite villains are Ghaleon (Lunar series; I'm not sure why I like him, since it's been aeons since I last played a Lunar game. The Lunar games can't be put on PSN soon enough...), Duke (Tales of Vesperia; Shock mentioned the reasons already, pretty much. I'm also fond of all his boss themes.), and Gaius (Tales of Xillia; the Chimeriad you just trounced right before you first battle him warn you that he's incredibly badass, and he just proves them right without breaking much of a sweat (unless you REALLY know what you're doing; it ain't a Hopeless Boss Fight, but you probably aren't gonna last long enough to give him anything resembling a fight)).

Edited by Levant Caprice

Oh boy where do I begin.

Ganon/Ganondorf is always a classic.

Ghirahim was just brilliant with a personality to boot

Skull Kid with Majora's Mask was pretty cool too

Hades from KIU was just awesome and funny to the very end (even in the credits for pulling such a dick move lol)

Black Knight those clashes with Ike were always so epic and that music though

SA-X in Metroid Fusion god that thing was scary

Llyod and Brendan from FE7 not wholly bad but badass and I felt for them

And I'm gonna say it although I'll brace for the hate:

Grima. Sure not the hardest boss fight but there was just something badass about fighting a city sized dragon of death on his back while he literally turns his head on himself to breathe deadly miasmic dragon breath onto you.