Should magic triangles return?

Aitherios

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should magic triangles make a return?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If they return (and possibly light), should it be limited to Anima, the main three, or simply both?

• Only for Anima
    • Only for the main three
    • Both

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be in favor of it, but, after seeing Levant's arguments, I personally don't mind. Maybe reduce thunder tome accuracy a bit.

If there are few mages on the field a magic triangle doesn't seem much necessary IMO. The preferred way to kill a mage is still to hit them where they're weakest, and I suspect melee would still be preferable against Mages/Sages than an advantageous tome. Wind tomes, despite having advantage against pegasus knight, don't exactly kill them fast, because of low MT and high Res of the enemy.

Edited by Cerberus87

I think when most people say they want the magic triangle back, what they (mostly) mean is they want more variety in the type of magic available. At least, that's how it is for me.

If they bring back Light magic and make it and Dark magic fully separate from Anima magic, then I'd probably be satisfied even if there wasn't a triangle.

...if the problem is not enough mages or not enough variety in magic based classes... why not make more magic based classes? ...and have more magic based units on the field in general?

That would make magic in general more relevant.

My thought on this... currently it feels like to me that having 5 seperate magic types would make leveling the weapons ranks a bit of a pain. If the anima magic all relied on a single rank, or possibly the three anima magic types were completely seperate/didn't overlap, or possible even got a second type the rank corresponded to(like how light magic was linked to staff rank? in PoR) that would be more useful in my mind.

...Possibly something like Fire/Earth, Thunder/Wind, Water/Ice? Or something.

Right now it just feels like levelling three seperate types of anima at once, Fire, Thunder, Wind all having seperate ranks is something that makes the magic system and magic triangle more frustrating.

...I actually like the idea of both the general triangle of Light<Anima<Dark, and Anima's triangle of Fire<Thunder<Wind being in play. I don't think poor implementation means it should not or can not be implemented in a useful and meaningful way in the future, or within this game if they do it right. :)

The counter arguments for the magic triangle are strong however I still would like to see each spell type appear as sub types under tomes (so one weapon rank but all would have different strengths and flaws)

In particular,

For light magic I like the longer range perhaps 2,2-3,3-10? It would be usable by all tome users (unless Bishops return) but would in exchange be unable to counter attack.

Dark Magic as in past games would be inaccurate but compensate w/ Unique effects(and class restriction), Though Nosferatu would be the A or S rank Dark Magic its way too strong for D rank...

Wind would be super accurate and effective against fliers, not really a reason to change this one

Thunder would maintain the lower accuracy(but higher than dark) with above average might and high crit.

The only one I can't figure out is fire.... currently its relegated to the role of average... I feel it needs something more...

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

I think when most people say they want the magic triangle back, what they (mostly) mean is they want more variety in the type of magic available.

For the most part since the triangles will be more relevant with added variety

...if the problem is not enough mages or not enough variety in magic based classes... why not make more magic based classes? ...and have more magic based units on the field in general?

That would make magic in general more relevant.

My thought on this... currently it feels like to me that having 5 seperate magic types would make leveling the weapons ranks a bit of a pain. If the anima magic all relied on a single rank, or possibly the three anima magic types were completely seperate/didn't overlap, or possible even got a second type the rank corresponded to(like how light magic was linked to staff rank? in PoR) that would be more useful in my mind.

...Possibly something like Fire/Earth, Thunder/Wind, Water/Ice? Or something.

Right now it just feels like levelling three seperate types of anima at once, Fire, Thunder, Wind all having seperate ranks is something that makes the magic system and magic triangle more frustrating.

...I actually like the idea of both the general triangle of Light<Anima<Dark, and Anima's triangle of Fire<Thunder<Wind being in play. I don't think poor implementation means it should not or can not be implemented in a useful and meaningful way in the future, or within this game if they do it right. :)

I agree with the idea of diversifying the amount of classes able to use magic and having more users.

If I understood correctly about what you said about having Fire, Thunder, and Wind having separate ranks, I'm not sure taking that much time to get high rankings will be favorable. It could end up tedious. If IS was to do that, it could imply a need for much exp grinding playing with the types to counter and take defense of.

Edit: Not LTC. My mind is dead

Edited by Aitherios

I'm hoping If will have more variety in magic. And I want my Light magic back for good.

If If will have all three types back, I'd like the Magic Trinity. It adds to strategy of the game. Yet magic users aren't as much as physical ones, so that could render it a bit useless.

I just want my light magic and I'll be fine.

I could live without the magic triangle as long as Light, Dark and Anima was a thing and each family of spells had distinct qualities.

Edited by NekoKnight

If If will have all three types back, I'd like the Magic Trinity. It adds to strategy of the game. Yet magic users aren't as much as physical ones, so that could render it a bit useless.

I'm not sure how the magic trinity adds strategy to the game... And I'd say that mages being not as common as physical units DOES render it useless (along with high resistance values on mages).

I would like to see the return of the Magic Triangle loosely based on GotHW's set-up while leaving other forms of non-elemental magic on the outside (light, and dark in this case). Is the lack of a Magic Triangle that big a deal though? No, not really. If they rebalance the differing elements to be drastically different to each other (not just in stats, but in effects/bonuses), then I'd be down for that as well. Variety is what's important, not another aspect of the Weapon Triangle. Did the Magic Triangle make past games more strategic? Nope. You just had to adjust your tactics ever-so-slightly per battle, but other than that it had no huge impact on the overall gameplay. Thus strategy wasn't affected.

So hopefully FE14 has more varied/drastically-different magicks (AoEs, DoTs, etc...). Rather than re-using the old Magic Triangle that did little to diversify the game in the past. The former would truly change the tactical play-out (which in-turn would affect the long-time strategic aspect of the main game) of Magic vs. Physical.

Well that's my opinion on things. I suppose we'll see what happens come later this year. Either way, I am glad we are getting another standalone FE title. :3

Edited by Kye

I'm not sure how the magic trinity adds strategy to the game... And I'd say that mages being not as common as physical units DOES render it useless (along with high resistance values on mages).

I think it's probably depth I'm aiming at. Mage vs. mage battles are really lackluster and might as well get a physical unit to kill them off due to low defense

I definitely wouldn't argue that the magic triangle really matters in terms of strategy, but I still want it back. Like any game, Fire Emblem is more than just its game mechanics, and the game's feel matters too. Even if the difference between different magic types/users is purely aesthetic, I find it more pleasing than all magic being similar.