Classes that need a buff/nerf?

Paper Dragon

Counter IS a good skill, alright... For the enemy, that is. Player units are liable to get little out of it in general because by the time they get Counter, they're likely to have good enough defense that they're not taking (and this returning) much damage, and this is ignoring the fact that Counter only works on units in melee range, where the more dangerous enemies AREN'T likely to attack from.

Hmmm... Well what about the General class? With Pavise along with their already great defense to go against anti-armor weapons like Armorslayer and the Hammer, they can get to the point of nullifying basically almost all damage, save for magic damage if I'm correct.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights and Generals don't need less than standard move if they already have terrible speed.

People have come up with some pretty drastic ideas to fix archers, but I think just giving them above average stats would be enough. FE10 Shinon is good even before getting to Marksman.

On a sort of related note, I would like to have more variety in the different types of bows like the other physical weapons.

Give Archers/Snipers defense stats on par with Knight/General and Wyvern Rider/Lord. That even if they can't counter at melee range, they can still take a hit.

Buffs and nerfs are meaningless without tuning. Just tune the game in a way that provides an incentive to use snipers. Lunatic+ in FE13 and FE12 in general do this well.

I'll start with an easy one: Snipers should've been the class with access to Galeforce to offset the fact Assassins and Warriors beat them as Bow-wielders by getting Pass and Counter respectively...

Other than that, as much I actually like the War Clergy in the sense of healers who can take a hit and not active fighters, I admit they were designed with Reclassing characters like Kellam, Sumia and Owain in mind instead of being a viable spot for just one promotion like many purists prefer. So if I were to see a future intance of them in the next game, they'd need either a boost in their Offense (via better STR gains/growths or Access to Ignis) or their Defense (better DEF gains/growths, huge HP gain, keep or buff Renewal), out of which I prefer the latter the most because the only time they should attack someone outside countering would be in a Mage-heavy map...

Alternatively, Dark Fliers are a great candidate to overwrite Galeforce with Ignis and get a general stat buff because the former skill is the only reason they don't get ignored over the Falcon Knights' General Versatility.

Edited by AstraSage

Would Archers even be Archers if they could attack at melee range? Having an exploitable weakness makes them what they are.

Of course. Bows are weapons that excel at ranged combat, but axes, which are not exactly known for their reach, also have a ranged weapon. Are warriors suddenly not warriors because of the handaxe?

Archer's biggest problem is their horrible EP since they can't counter melee attacks. Even something as simple as, say, letting them counter when they evade a melee attack would go miles towards making them able to compete.

I'll start with an easy one: Snipers should've been the class with access to Galeforce to offset the fact Assassins and Warriors beat them as Bow-wielders by getting Pass and Counter respectively...

Other than that, as much I actually like the War Clergy in the sense of healers who can take a hit and not active fighters, I admit they were designed with Reclassing characters like Kellam, Sumia and Owain in mind instead of being a viable spot for just one promotion like many purists prefer. So if I were to see a future intance of them in the next game, they'd need either a boost in their Offense (via better STR gains/growths or Access to Ignis) or their Defense (better DEF gains/growths, huge HP gain, keep or buff Renewal), out of which I prefer the latter the most because the only time they should attack someone outside countering would be in a Mage-heavy map...

Alternatively, Dark Fliers are a great candidate to overwrite Galeforce with Ignis and get a general stat buff because the former skill is the only reason they don't get ignored over the Falcon Knights' General Versatility.

Bold: The funny thing is, neither of those are good skills. Either way, it's what else those classes have going for them that'd make me want them over a Sniper.

Bold: The funny thing is, neither of those are good skills. Either way, it's what else those classes have going for them that'd make me want them over a Sniper.

I dno bout you, but Pass is pretty solid. Just like how it was in FE10, then put Galeforce ontop of it and its hilarious.

Edited by Jedi

I dno bout you, but Pass is pretty solid. Just like how it was in FE10, then put Galeforce ontop of it and its hilarious.

It was much better in FE10, if you ask me... I don't really see Pass as worth going through 15 levels of Assassin. I just never saw many instances where I thought "Man, I really need to catch unit X, but I don't want to go through units ,Z, D, and C to do it..."

Edited by Levant Caprice

It was much better in FE10, if you ask me... I don't really see Pass as worth going through 15 levels of Assassin.

That I can agree with, level 15 Assassin is a bit much. Although I find the class fun, especially with Olivia haha

That I can agree with, level 15 Assassin is a bit much.

Aside from that, there's also the part where Awakening has pretty much no situations where Pass would come in handy.

Bow users could use a short bow, but not the one we have now.

The short bow would be low accuracy, low might weapon of exactly 1 range. It's an inferior close range weapon, sure, but one archers can use if necessary.

I think Swordmaster needs a buff.

Get it back to FE 6 +30%/FE 7+15%/FE 8+15% form with it's crit rate.

Though it was just downright inferior to Assassins in FE 7 other than defensive stats. Swordmaster had less skill than Heroes and Assassins, and also is weapon locked. The only things that Swordmaster had on them was defensive stats and magic. Assassins had more strength, skill and speed. Heroes had more Strength and Skill and also was durable.

Assassin is a horrible class in FE7 they lose thief utility promote really late into the game and have 20 str cap (The sm has 24 the only thing they have on them is +1 skill which doesnt matter because Lol +15 crit passive skill) So the only real advantage is 7 move oh goody even in FE8 What was the pro in making Josh an Assassin Colm an Assassin or Marisa as an Assassin(Or using marisa at all) Yeepe worse caps so I can use lockpicks rouges dont even need that not to talk about that assassins in FE7 are also swordlocked and are shit for the entire game you dont have the stats for endgame even

I just want them to have their perks over Assassins. There was little reason to stay a Swordmaster after you got the skills you want.

A Class that needs to get buffed Serks More Opness

Edited by TTPK_Tal

This is more of a general skill overhaul than something class specific but any skill that passively increases stats under very specific conditions should be changed. The mage's Focus skill, for example is borderline useless. Skills should define how a class is intended to be used, such as the Dark Mage and Sorcerer being a front-line magic user.

For some class specific changes, Snipers, Swordmasters and Berserkers should innately have higher critical hit rates and some more commonly acquired unique weapons.

I agree with this also we totally need the Halbriedier back, no reason for lancefaire to be on Falcon Knight other than to counter Berserker being a male only class...

I feel a lot of the skills were just filler to give every class 2 skills... Also thieves need to be able to steal again... Why was that even removed?

The short bow would be low accuracy, low might weapon of exactly 1 range. It's an inferior close range weapon, sure, but one archers can use if necessary.

Lots of rom hacks do this and its stupid. It doesn't fix anything.

Lots of rom hacks do this and its stupid. It doesn't fix anything.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it kind of serves little purpose. Letting archers do what other do but worse won't make people want to play them. There needs to be something more they can do that others can't.

Maybe making their default range 2-3 and making longbows 2-4? Maybe an over adjustment, but it gives them an advantage of magic users for once.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it kind of serves little purpose. Letting archers do what other do but worse won't make people want to play them. There needs to be something more they can do that others can't.

Maybe making their default range 2-3 and making longbows 2-4? Maybe an over adjustment, but it gives them an advantage of magic users for once.

I think a range buff for Snipers would be appropriate but Archers should just get better base stats.

Of course. Bows are weapons that excel at ranged combat, but axes, which are not exactly known for their reach, also have a ranged weapon. Are warriors suddenly not warriors because of the handaxe?

Javelins and handaxes have lower might and accuracy than melee lances and axes to compensate for breaking away from the range restriction. You could make weak bows that can be used at close range but you'll still have a lackluster EP.

That... wasn't the point. Archers are archers and, barring some massive reform, will always specialize in ranged combat. Giving them a method to counter melee attacks doesn't suddenly change that any more than giving a warrior, lance-wielder, or even swordfighter a ranged attack does.

Also 'lackluster EP' doesn't work. If the 1-2 range thrown weapons can reliably kill, unless they can't be bought and/or are rare, they will be very useful. Sure, they may not deal as much damage as a silver, but when you can kill anyways and foes aren't all 1-ranged, why not?

A 1 range short bow would just be silly but a 1-2 range would be fine. It's not going to revolutionize the class but it will help somewhat.

Snipers have 3 range. They crap all over every bow using class, dude. They are one of, if not the best classes in Awakening Lunatic+ and post game.

It was much better in FE10, if you ask me... I don't really see Pass as worth going through 15 levels of Assassin. I just never saw many instances where I thought "Man, I really need to catch unit X, but I don't want to go through units ,Z, D, and C to do it..."

Pass and counter are skills that are much more dangerous in enemy hands than in player hands.

Archers/Snipers should just stick to 2 and 3 range(with Longbow) for distinction between classes. Personally I've always wondered why they didn't just give Archer bases or Archers you recruit above average stats and caps across the board(or atleast STR, SPD & DEF). It would ensure they've got the best combat at their speciality(2 range) compared to units of similar levels.

I think no 1-range would be a suitable trade off for statistically the strongest class in the game; This would ensure that while being the strongest they have their flaws(bad/no enemy phase) and aren't actually the "best" or most useful class at the same time as being strongest.

Edited by arvilino