What can suck the fun out of a game for you?

IceBrand

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh... yeah, fake difficulty, I guess. I love a good challenge, but I hate it when it's cheap or too hard.

I know for a fact there's more, but I'm way too forgetful.

Overly repetitive situations the player is forced to do. (Example: Silent Realms and Imprisoned fights in Skyward Sword, Orochi fights in Okami, etc)

Fake difficulty only designed to prolong progress.

Bad control schemes.

Samey, uninspired story telling.

Bad monetization.
Nearly every MMO in existence falls victim to this.

As stated here numerous times already, a bad community will almost always drive away players...

Besides that, on a more personal level: The detail/level of gore.

Games that are dark, I can handle. But if there's hyper-realistic blood splattered everywhere or grotesque shambling corpses running around, count me the hell out.

A friend made me play TERA recently and some zones in it were so bad I felt so sick to my stomach I nearly couldn't force myself through them. FE8 had zombies and stuff but eh... They were little sprites that really didn't even feel that threatening. And the FEA zombies (Risen) are creepy but don't really seem grotesque.

I am extremely squeamish. >.>

Yeah, cancerous communities are a pretty big offender for me. Things like KH are pretty high up there for worst communities, Sonic and even FE too.

The gameplay doesn't bother me so much, but the characters (and plot, too, but there's some games where I'm willing to overlook that, like if it's so bad it's good) have to be at least halfway decent.

A game being too short can bother me quite a bit, too.

Bad cringe worthy music, bad control, and microtransactions. Like in those free to play games where it takes hours or days to do an action and they make you pay money several times over to do basic things within the game.

Things I try several times, always fail, and have no fun doing.

AKA Siren Realms may die in a hole and never come back, and if they do, they should be an optional challenge. My inability to manage the first one of those is basically my sole gripe against SS and the reason it's very low in my Zelda lists.

Other things include 90% of everything about FE13.

A lot of things the three that come to my mind are

the community (the Final Fantasy, and COD ones especially)

microtransctions

stupid plot holes

Edited by Bankai

In general:

-Fake difficulty, or being hard for all the wrong reasons (y halo thar FE6)

-Being too short

-Bad mechanics

-Boring, repetitive gameplay

-Overly large maps in tactical games

Other gripes include about 90% of everything about FE4 (as a bonus, it's also guilty of the latter three items on the above list).

Excessive grinding, the freemium business model, getting killed easily in the tutorial/at the start of the game (I couldn't get into SMT 4), emphasis on money grabs, extreme emphasis on RNG (why I could never be bothered with legitimately creating a Pokemon with the stats and moves for competitive play).

I realized this awhile ago, but I always try to play a series in chronological order to be fair and not compare ____ made in 1988 on the NES to _____ made in 2015 on the 3DS. Long story short, the comparison to later instalments or earlier can break a game for me, as lame as that is.

eg: I love Mother, it's my favourite out of the three. In terms of graphics, convenience and gameplay however, Earthbound runs laps around it. I feel that if I played Earthbound before Mother, I would not have the same passion for it, as I would come in expecting everything to be on par with Earthbound.

Also on a personal note, games where I have to sit in front of a TV can at times break a game. For one, I don't even have a TV to myself, and secondly as much as I hate to admit it, my laziness and love for laying in bed has skewed my preference in favour for handheld games and this unfortunately affects the types of games I like.

Edited by Maji

For me, it's the online community. Sometimes the people I play against take the game too seriously and ruin the experience for others.

If it's a multiplayer online game, then it's the online community.Sometimes, the people I play with take the game to lightly and ruin the match for the others. Sure, you are playing a virtual tank game but your opponents and your allies are human. Dont just say "it's just a game" and then act like a total moron and refuse to learn to co-op with your team. Maybe losing is fun for some people, who know. Just dont bring that singleplayer attitude to a multiplayer online game.

If it's a multiplayer online game, then it's the online community.Sometimes, the people I play with take the game to lightly and ruin the match for the others. Sure, you are playing a virtual tank game but your opponents and your allies are human. Dont just say "it's just a game" and then act like a total moron and refuse to learn to co-op with your team. Maybe losing is fun for some people, who know. Just dont bring that singleplayer attitude to a multiplayer online game.

pretty much this

tho for me it depends.

for example with league, i play normals for fun and ranked for tryhard.