The Best Chapter Titles

Irysa

Hey, we have threads like this all the time, so why not for something a bit more flavoursome? What chapter names do you think are really appropriate, or stick with you as notable?

For me, the one that always comes to mind first is Chapter 22 of FE6 - The Neverending Dream. I can't quite explain why, but it commands a really strong presence and creates a sombre, melancholic mood before the map.

Chapter 3 of FE11 - A Brush in the Teeth. This one is just amusing so it sticks with me as a result. I quite like Chapter 17 as well - Star and Saviour, as I'm fond of appropriate alliteration. But I think part of my fondness of it has to do with the narrative at the end of it more than the name.

23E/24H of FE7 - Four Fanged Offence. It rolls off the tongue nicely and ties into the map's events in a somewhat poetic manner I think. 25E/27H Pale Flower of Darkness is another one that feels poetic.

Chapter 17 of FE8 - River of Regrets. Another one that has nice alliteration. I feel like this one could be the title to a ballad!

1-1 of FE10 - Maiden of Miracles. You'll have guessed why I like this one...

FE12 DLC Chapter 3 - What was Done by the Sword shall by Undone by the Sword. It's just so long, I can't help but find it notable, haha. Chapter 17 - Gra's Setting Sun is another one that captures the mood effectively (also alliteration).

Edited by Irysa

The Final Holy War - FE4 Epilogue. Few chapter titles are more appropriate than that one.

Crimea Marches - FE9 C18. Ike is freshly promoted and the game feels completely different from that point onwards. The chapter title really does a good job of representing that.

Return of the Prince - FE3/12 C15. Once again, tone shift with appropriate title.

Victory or Death - FE7 C30E/32H. Epic battle connotation.

Doors of Destiny from FE4. Perhaps my bias towards f the chapter itself is apparent but it is great title.

The Beginning from BS FE. The final chapter of the 4 maps being called this is great as it really is the beginning of FE1/Book 1/FE11.

The First Rain of May from FE5. I don't know, I just like it.

Ruled by Madness from FE8. Another one I just love for no particular reaosn.

Also, I have to agree with you on The Neverending Dream.

However, my absolute favourite title would be...

Reunion, and then... from FE2. The plot twist at the end of the previous map with Alm's shock and even rage at the revelations combined with the uncertainty of what to do is captured in this title.

For Whose Sake - FE4 Ch.9

Raise the Standard - FE10 Ch. 1-6

From Pain, Awakening - FE1- 3-F (well mostly because it stuck in my head)

An Undying Oath - FE5 Ch. F

Repatriation- FE9 Ch. F (It stuck in my head)

Third'ing The Neverending Dream. Drives Zephiel's character home.

I always think of the name of the fire level in FE10, Incandescent Glow. Idk why but I like its name.

The Truth of the Legend (FE6 Chapter 24) is fitting of an intriguing backstory dump.

Light, the endgame chapter of FE7, seems generic at first. But take FE6's endgame chapter name Beyond the Darkness, and put them together. You get "Light Beyond the Darkness" or "Beyond the Darkness, Light". It probably is completely coincidental, but I feel like it sums up the end of the Elibe duology well, what with Idoun recovering.

Chapter 19 of FE12, The Final Battle, always stood out for me because it is not actually the final battle.

FE4's Crossing the Desert is very literal.

As mentioned in the op, A Brush in the Teeth, is very good.

I've always liked FE9's endgame, Repatriation. It's just a cool word.

Victory or Death is very dramatic, as is FE13's (almost copycat) The Sword or the Knee.

I also like The Ghost of Bern. It almost makes you feel sad for wiping the rest of the army out.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'd just like to bring up how appropriate and mood setting it is to call the first chapter of FE11 "Marth Embarks". I just can't help but like that.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Oh wow. I love this topic. I have considered making it myself before but never though there'd be interest. Of course I'm a week late to the party and everyone's mentioned what I like already, go figure. Anyway I'm another one whose a sucker for The Never Ending Dream. It just captures Zephiels resolve so well. ​Incandescent Glow is another one that just stays with me. It captures the feel of a lava level so well and I think it just sounds so audible pleasing to me. From Pain, Awakening is great as a description of what's going on. Almost the opposite is Pale Flower of Darkness which sounds great but I have no idea what it's referring to. Sonia?

I second everybody saying Incandescent Glow. Yay for awesome dangerous fire caves!

To add my own to the list: Wings of Justice, Cynthia's paralogue. My fanfic is called Wings of Courage...

Edited by Dragoncat

I once saw a (probably inacurate, but still awesome) translation of the title of chapter 6 of fe4 as the light lives on, which works because the narration at the end of chapter 5 talks about how everyone died and all hope seems lost, and ends with "and the light...", before fading to the chapter 6 title screen.

I also like Invisible Ties, which is the title of both the premonition and chapter 23 of awakening. It just works on so many levels. In fact awakening has a few titles that are foreshadowing like this, and i really like that.

Edited by sirmola

I also like Victory or Death and Four-Fanged Offense from FE7. I'll also chime in a vote for Light. Not for the same reasons as Glaceon- despite being somewhat generic it's always been very poignant for me. From FE8, probably Ruled by Madness and Two Faces of Evil. FE8 in general has really cool chapter names, Fluorspar's Oath and Turning Traitor are sick, and I like the sound of Distant Blade and The Empire's Reach. I'm surprised nobody's said One Survives from RD; it's by far my favourite in that game. FE9; probably Feral Frontier, but I don't like most of the chapter names in FE9. FE6, people have pointed out The Neverending Dream and Ghosts of Bern. Not really a fan of FE4 chapter names either tbh; the names are all a little wordy for my taste.

my favorite one in awakening would be (the japanese title for apotheosis) the strongest ones name I also loved to slay a god just because I found it funny

alot of sacred stones had some great chapter titles like ruled by madness and turning traitor