There has to be something Morally Wrong/Odd about siding with Hoshido

UnknownUber

I made a topic about this on Gamefaqs where it quickly got a bit out of hand (Sigh...)

But I notice that the promotional materials paint the Hoshido as the victims like they're the good people and they should be the people you should side with to get a good ending.

Does anyone else think that there's more then meets the eye when it comes to the Hoshido, like how they might secretly worship an ancient evil or do Ethnic Cleansing?

I just feel that if there's a third DLC neutral route, there would have to be a reason why Kamui would not want to side with Hoshido cause it's clear Nohr are glory-seeking killers.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he was raised for presumably the majority of his life in Nohr and has built relationships with his Nohrian family, so there's that. You might be onto something, but at the same time, it's probably not as deep as you may think. Hoshido is tailored specifically with the basic Fire Emblem formula and casual appeal in mind, so the extent of complexity of the nation's story probably isn't that deep. That said, though, there's always a possiblity to consider. Maybe they were once a nation of conquerors in generations long past, but have denounced their violent ways in favor of their now tranquil state. So kind of like Ylisse, but Japan.

Well, he was raised for presumably the majority of his life in Nohr and has built relationships with his Nohrian family, so there's that. You might be onto something, but at the same time, it's probably not as deep as you may think. Hoshido is tailored specifically with the basic Fire Emblem formula and casual appeal in mind, so the extent of complexity of the nation's story probably isn't that deep. That said, though, there's always a possiblity to consider. Maybe they were once a nation of conquerors in generations long past, but have denounced their violent ways in favor of their now tranquil state. So kind of like Ylisse, but Japan.

Perhaps like with Nohr, they might also have some inner-kingdom affairs to deal with as well, but doesn't get as much focus as the Nohrian attacks. I still think Hoshido seems way too goody-goody. I could have sworn that in at least most FE's, the main kingdom has some dark past or part in a war long ago that either isn't elaborated on, or is crucial to the story.

Uh glory seeking killers seem a bit harsh. They have an evil emperor obviously but i see no indication that everyone in Nohr is a glory seeking killer quite the opposite in fact as they say the Nohr campaign is inner empire reforms with your family. There might be some problems with hoshido sure but probably just isolation and cultural stagnation

I rather like the theory that Kamui simply isn't related to them; they could've defected from Nohr for nothing (well, besides Nohr presumably being jerkbutts). It could've been a situation of Hoshido kidnapping Kamui from some dragon and Nohr simply kidnapping them again.

I doubt there's much more to Hoshido than meets the eye, though.

Edited by Twylis

I made a topic about this on Gamefaqs where it quickly got a bit out of hand (Sigh...)

But I notice that the promotional materials paint the Hoshido as the victims like they're the good people and they should be the people you should side with to get a good ending.

Does anyone else think that there's more then meets the eye when it comes to the Hoshido, like how they might secretly worship an ancient evil or do Ethnic Cleansing?

I just feel that if there's a third DLC neutral route, there would have to be a reason why Kamui would not want to side with Hoshido cause it's clear Nohr are glory-seeking killers.

Agreed. They appear to hold dragons in high regard and what have we learned from the series about ppl who worship dragons? (cough cough Garnef, Validar, Grimleal)

I really want it to be the case. Seriously, 'Peace-loving Hoshido', you just got to doupt it.

It could've been a situation of Hoshido kidnapping Kamui from some dragon and Nohr simply kidnapping them again.

I like this idea.

I get the feeling it really may just be a good country, considering the Hoshido one is to be reminiscent of the Awakeningesque story of "all good here, all evil there."

The Nohr story is said to be more complex, but the fact you are "changing it from within" rather than combating the Hoshido sounds like only Nohr is the one that is corrupt in some way, regardless of your version.

Or maybe the Hoshido are utopian, which comes with its own downsides (super strict rules/regulations, etc). They have quite the army for peace lovers, after all!

Edited by Kirokan

I rather like the theory that Kamui simply isn't related to them; they could've defected from Nohr for nothing (well, besides Nohr presumably being jerkbutts). It could've been a situation of Hoshido kidnapping Kamui from some dragon and Nohr simply kidnapping them again.

That... would be pretty interesting

It has been mentioned before that Hoshido could be peace loving in the sense of being isolationist. Lets say Nohr tried to trade with them, and they killed the traders, or something, as happened historically with Feudal Japan. That would be a more morally grey conflictict. Unlikely to happen, though.

Perhaps Hoshido could be made darker by having them be highly xenophobic and rule their people with an iron fist, kind of like real life Japan in the Edo period. This would be a dream come true for history buffs like myself. The Hoshido would be "peaceful" in that they aren't looking to expand their territory but they will murder the f**k out of you if you try to enter the country without permission or rebel. Nohr and their black ships show up in Hoshido demanding trade or access to some resource, Hoshido kills their envoys and a conflict is sparked.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Blah2127. You can't do that! You're on team Nohr!

It could've been a situation of Hoshido kidnapping Kamui from some dragon and Nohr simply kidnapping them again.

Considering Kamui is at best a half-sibling to his Hoshido kin, I also wonder if he was simply taken from actual dragons.

Edited by NekoKnight

Nohr's king is certainly evil. He looks like a fat Palpatine.

It has been mentioned before that Hoshido could be peace loving in the sense of being isolationist. Lets say Nohr tried to trade with them, and they killed the traders, or something, as happened historically with Feudal Japan. That would be a more morally grey conflictict. Unlikely to happen, though.

You think that a Japanese game will have the balls to do that ? That would be amazing.!

Personally I like the idea that the Hoshido are living in the past. Like, it was obvious that the peace treaties were crumbling for a long time, but the Hoshido have their heads stuck so far up their *** that they couldn't see it. This would explain why the Nohr "suddenly" invaded. Hoshidons (is that the term?) were simply so delusional that they thought everything was perfect, and now they delusionally think that the whole situation is very black and white.

Personally I like the idea that the Hoshido are living in the past. Like, it was obvious that the peace treaties were crumbling for a long time, but the Hoshido have their heads stuck so far up their *** that they couldn't see it. This would explain why the Nohr "suddenly" invaded. Hoshidons (is that the term?) were simply so delusional that they thought everything was perfect, and now they delusionally think that the whole situation is very black and white.

I kind of like that as well. While Hoshido is very likely to be just a simple good nation without much depth to it (Like Ylisse), it'd be cool if they were somewhat delusional to the world around them (like refusing to admit that their relationship with Nohr is stagnating before war breaks out), and even rude to other nations. If they were handled in a similar fashion to FE10 Crimea (their ruler being criticized for their pacifism, or some other issues going on), I'd really like that.

Now one thing I've been thinking about in regards to the Nohr path. In the direct they mention the focus will be on reforming Nohr from within. Does that mean the conflict with Hoshido will be over relatively quickly in the Nohr path? It seems like they have the advantage in the conflict, so I'm wondering if it will just be a shorter story arc rather than something that lasts most of the game. Or it could just share the focus with reforming Nohr.

on the beginnings of the 1st trailer it's shown that Hoshido and Nohr might be once allies since they fought together. Maybe sometime later their relations began to deteriorate, though it's most likely from Nohr's side too.

also Ylisse isn't really all-goody(see Chrom's father).

also Ylisse isn't really all-goody(see Chrom's father).

I more meant Ylisee with Emmeryn and Chrom as the leaders. Emmeryn more specifically as her completely pacifistic ways are praised (while Elincia's initial indecisiveness in the face of conflict was called out as a weakness in FE10), and she's generally an idiot but gets praised for it as a paragon of all things goods.

Edited by Monado Boy

As of now I would prefer it if the peace and tranquility Hoshido enjoys might just be at the expense of Nohr, without Hoshido being aware of that . That would push Nohr out of the designated villain role, while still showing the Hoshido side as good people.

Ooh, I really dig the isolationist theory. Under the Tokugawa shogunate, Japan was isolationist and therefore had a long era of peace, which could tie in to why Hoshido is peace-loving. Especially since they came after the Sengoku era where there was a lot of conflict and chaos. iirc, the penalty for leaving/entering the country without permission was death?

I would also really like it if there was some morally gray areas about siding with Hoshido though, and at the same time I don't think Nohr is also flat out evil. I'd prefer it if it were lighter gray vs darker gray as opposed to just white vs black

Edited by Ciarre

My current theory is not that there's something morally wrong with siding with Hoshido specifically, but rather, that there's something morally wrong with siding against Nohr.

Basically, here's my idea: Garon is evil and cruel, but Marx is actually a decent person (and Garon's son) and finally, his father has gone far enough that he's realized his only choice is to reform Nohr. Violently. Starting with assasinating his own father.

He asks his adopted sibling Kamui for help, and in fact Kamui becomes absolutely crucial to the plan, where Marx has no hope of succeeding without Kamui's help. Unfortunately the plan isn't ready to be implemented yet, and before it can, Nohr and Hoshido go to war, with Nohr having a massive advantage and being set to butcher the Hoshido. And Marx isn't yet in a position to stop it yet.

And so, Kamui finds him/herself presented with a choice. Betray their siblings in Nohr, the people who raised them, the only family they've really ever known, ending any hope of Marx reforming the kingdom and going back on their promise to Marx, dooming the Nohr to continue their misguided ways, eventually being forced to fight against and perhaps kill the only people who ever showed him love...

Or side against the Hoshido, the people who are in the right in the current conflict, plus his own blood kin, and in the process personally lead, for a bit at least, a campaign of terror and depravity against an innocent and loving people who were begging him to help them, possibly fighting against and kill his blood family who just wanted to welcome him back...

Edited by Mad_Scientist