There has to be something Morally Wrong/Odd about siding with Hoshido

UnknownUber

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE14 is said to have an accomplished writer so I'm fairly certain the game won't be nearly as black and white as Awakening

The designers seem to be very influenced by feudal Japan so a peace forged by xenophobia and intolerance isn't out of the picture

My current theory is not that there's something morally wrong with siding with Hoshido specifically, but rather, that there's something morally wrong with siding against Nohr.

Basically, here's my idea: Garon is evil and cruel, but Marx is actually a decent person (and Garon's son) and finally, his father has gone far enough that he's realized his only choice is to reform Nohr. Violently. Starting with assasinating his own father.

He asks his adopted sibling Kamui for help, and in fact Kamui becomes absolutely crucial to the plan, where Marx has no hope of succeeding without Kamui's help. Unfortunately the plan isn't ready to be implemented yet, and before it can, Nohr and Hoshido go to war, with Nohr having a massive advantage and being set to butcher the Hoshido. And Marx isn't yet in a position to stop it yet.

And so, Kamui finds him/herself presented with a choice. Betray their siblings in Nohr, the people who raised them, the only family they've really ever known, ending any hope of Marx reforming the kingdom and going back on their promise to Marx, dooming the Nohr to continue their misguided ways, eventually being forced to fight against and perhaps kill the only people who ever showed him love...

Or side against the Hoshido, the people who are in the right in the current conflict, plus his own blood kin, and in the process personally lead, for a bit at least, a campaign of terror and depravity against an innocent and loving people who were begging him to help them, possibly fighting against and kill his blood family who just wanted to welcome him back...

The problem with that scenario is Hoshido are still the flawless good guys and it's only Kamui's moral duty to choose what's best for the world. You might be forced into some serious dickery, but Hoshido remained unsoiled. That's also kind of a shitty arrangement for Nohr players. Siding with Hoshido means you save a country at the cost of betraying your adopted family. Siding with Nohr means you betray your blood family AND further brutalize an innocent country in the process to save your own country.

Siding with Hoshido in that scenario means that you're basically going to destroy Nohr even though there are people there pushing for reforms though. Look at Crimea vs Daien in PoR. Even though Daien was clearly in the wrong, you still end up needing to invade the country to stop it. It's not like it'd be only defensive battles. And in this case you apparently having a faction with power attempting to fix Nohr, something that didn't happen with Daien.

Edited by NeonZ

Well, you betray your family just because you were born in another country, i think that's pretty wrong. Besides from this, this game is very focused on black vs white, but I think they plan to make both of the nations be more 'grey' following the story, at least that is what I hope. I don't want the Asian themed be pure innocent and the European themed be evil and cruel, both of the cultures have good and bad things.

I'm really skeptical of Hoshido being described as "peace loving", for reasons that have already been mentioned. All nations want peace, it's how they define peace that's important. The empress reminds me a lot of Emmeryn so maybe they're going to try to redo Ylisse but actually delve into the uncomfortable history this time instead of having the royal family ignore it.

Perhaps Hoshido could be made darker by having them be highly xenophobic and rule their people with an iron fist, kind of like real life Japan in the Edo period. This would be a dream come true for history buffs like myself. The Hoshido would be "peaceful" in that they aren't looking to expand their territory but they will murder the f**k out of you if you try to enter the country without permission or rebel. Nohr and their black ships show up in Hoshido demanding trade or access to some resource, Hoshido kills their envoys and a conflict is sparked.

Personally I like the idea that the Hoshido are living in the past. Like, it was obvious that the peace treaties were crumbling for a long time, but the Hoshido have their heads stuck so far up their *** that they couldn't see it. This would explain why the Nohr "suddenly" invaded. Hoshidons (is that the term?) were simply so delusional that they thought everything was perfect, and now they delusionally think that the whole situation is very black and white.

I really like these ideas. Please IS do something interesting!

Edited by Owain Dark

There's supposed to eventually be a third scenario where you side with neither Hoshido or Nohr? I wouldn't be surprised if you end up confronting a third faction, potentially working behind the scenes like the black fang, which is responsible for the conflict. Or maybe you are the third faction. Who knows?

There has to be incentive to prefer the third option if you don't want to side with the glory-hungry 'villains' yet still don't want to side with the peace-loving 'victims' of the war.

The fact that Hoshido has ninjas kinda contradicts with the claim that Hoshido is 'peaceful' seeing as how ninjas were used for assassination and infiltration.

Now one thing I've been thinking about in regards to the Nohr path. In the direct they mention the focus will be on reforming Nohr from within. Does that mean the conflict with Hoshido will be over relatively quickly in the Nohr path? It seems like they have the advantage in the conflict, so I'm wondering if it will just be a shorter story arc rather than something that lasts most of the game. Or it could just share the focus with reforming Nohr.

My guess is that in chapter 6 where the story splits if you chose Nohr you will defeat the Hoshido army then and there and that conflict will be over and you'll move on to a different conflict like corrupt officials or revolution and if you pick Hoshido something else happens so you only defeat part of the Nohr army and the Hoshido/Nohr conflict continues.

I heartily agree with the "Isolationist!Hoshido" idea.

My own idea on Hoshido was that they loved peace so much, they actively tried to avoid any and all bloodshed at any costs. So while Hoshido became renown for it's diplomats and ambassadors, their military strength suffered for it and became stagnant.

So you had a country that while peaceful, could barely defend itself from invaders. Which is where Hoshido finds itself in the game.

I feel if Kamui sided Hoshido, they'd be faced with that aspect of the country. Hoshido is peaceful, but only because she's torn out her teeth and sanded down her horns.

Maybe it'll be "Good Teacher vs. Nice Teacher". Maybe Garon might seem like a bad person who only wants for personal gain, but really, he knows what he's doing running Nohr and really does care for his country. He makes decisions that may not really please the public, but he knows that they are the best decisions for the country. However, in Hoshido, we have a fledgling empress after her husband's (Sonic the Hedgehog the First's) untimely death. She doesn't really know how to run a country (Not because of her sex, but because of being thrust into the position without any experience) but really knows the will of the people, and does all within her power to please and help them. I also like the Xenophobic Hoshido thing, and that might be why Sonic died in a scrimmage with Nohr due to a misunderstanding, which sparked the conflict. That, coupled with stabbing all of your, for all intents and purposes, family in the back would make it a serious moral problem.

Edited by JothTheConqueror

Maybe it'll be "Good Teacher vs. Nice Teacher". Maybe Garon might seem like a bad person who only wants for personal gain, but really, he knows what he's doing running Nohr and really does care for his country. He makes decisions that may not really please the public, but he knows that they are the best decisions for the country. However, in Hoshido, we have a fledgling empress after her husband's (Sonic the Hedgehog the First's) untimely death. She doesn't really know how to run a country (Not because of her sex, but because of being thrust into the position without any experience) but really knows the will of the people, and does all within her power to please and help them. I also like the Xenophobic Hoshido thing, and that might be why Sonic died in a scrimmage with Nohr due to a misunderstanding, which sparked the conflict. That, coupled with stabbing all of your, for all intents and purposes, family in the back would make it a serious moral problem.

That would actually fit with my living in the past idea very nicely. Not only could the Hoshido not see the very obvious rumblings of war, they also can't see how poorly they're doing in general. They've got queenie the sweetie so of course how could anything be wrong? Things have been nice for the last few hundred years, and the current queen is nice so everything is nice.

This could also create for more reasons for wanting to conquer the Hoshido on the Nohr side. Maybe they've got friends in Hoshido that are doing extremely poorly because Hoshido's going down the crapper and they know that Garon could fix that.

Law and Chaos are never so simple as "Good and Evil"

We'll see.

I have a feeling the eventual third route will be making amends and either defeating both sides and merging their philosophies or something.

I don't know if it has already been said but to me Hoshido is like Lenster while Nohr is like Thracia, each sides wanting to use a dragon's protegee (Altena/Kamui) and the "good" one tries to stop an invasion while the "bad" one has to expand its territory to survive (maybe the "Nosferatu" only exist in the dark lands of Nohr ?).

Nohr is Britannia and Hoshido is Area 11. The dancer is C.C. Kamui is Lelouch. Etc.

Wrong, Kamui is Suzaku. Reforming from the inside, remember.

He's only doing that in one of two factions. So he's either Suzaku or Lelouch depending on which game you get.

So Suzaku and Lelouch won't work together in this game.

He's only doing that in one of two factions. So he's either Suzaku or Lelouch depending on which game you get.

So Suzaku and Lelouch won't work together in this game.

Suzaku and Lelouch are quite different from Kamui. Both Suzaku and Lelouch spent most of their lives in Japan whereas Kamui spent most of his life in the Nohr kingdom. Kamui is (allegedly) born of the Asian faction while Lelouch is born from western parents. While Suzaku acted like he was going to reform his side, all he really did was support their imperial ambition. I sure hope Kamui doesn't turn into a Suzaku.

Actually

Suzaku and Euphemia were close to doing something and reforming from the inside, until Lelouch screwed up with everything and made Euphemia crazy, which resulted on Suzaku going in a rampage because Euphie was killed.

He also fits in the Hoshido role because he later on sides with Lelouch for his family, iirc. I also think Area 11 has plenty of European customs since being colonized, and it had been done relatively soon, so Suzaku was also raised in a mixed customs country.

If Marx is Schneizel I will do a backflip

because FE:if is totally based off on Code Geass lol

I'm HOPING that the game is in some grey zone, but I fear that it's really going to be black and white - the two version names being the eerie indicators...

It's more or less gonna be like: side with Hoshido to fight against the evil emperor and kill him, or side with Nohr to start a coup d'etat to fight against the evil emperor and kill him.

Then there's the third path where you get to convert people from both Hoshido and Nohr to your personal armada to fight against the evil emperor and kill him. GG.

The main difference between these three will be who gets to be the new emperor. If Nohr, Marx becomes emperor. If Hoshido, Avatar becomes emperor. If Neutral, Dancer becomes emperor.

Let's hope there's some huge twist with Hoshido though, like...when you "win", Kamui's baby sister Sakura comes forth and says she is in fact Excellus and was the one pulling the strings all along and Kamui was just a puppet in his grand scheme of world conquest.

Why are we comparing If to Code Geass?

I love Code Geass and all, but drawing parallels beyond Nohr is like Brittania and Hoshido is like Area 11 is a bit far.

because FE:if is totally based off on Code Geass lol

I'm HOPING that the game is in some grey zone, but I fear that it's really going to be black and white - the two version names being the eerie indicators...

It's more or less gonna be like: side with Hoshido to fight against the evil emperor and kill him, or side with Nohr to start a coup d'etat to fight against the evil emperor and kill him.

Then there's the third path where you get to convert people from both Hoshido and Nohr to your personal armada to fight against the evil emperor and kill him. GG.

The main difference between these three will be who gets to be the new emperor. If Nohr, Marx becomes emperor. If Hoshido, Avatar becomes emperor. If Neutral, Dancer becomes emperor.

Let's hope there's some huge twist with Hoshido though, like...when you "win", Kamui's baby sister Sakura comes forth and says she is in fact Excellus and was the one pulling the strings all along and Kamui was just a puppet in his grand scheme of world conquest.

Obviously Excellus is the main antagonist of IF, I agree.

In all seriousness, though, I believe Black/White may just be the case, unfortunately.

However we have to keep the writer in mind, we could have a giant twist so unexpected none of us would ever be able to guess it.

Maybe Nohr has to attack Hoshido because they have like some power of dragons and they need it for protection against a greater problem (another country or a organization within the country, hence the revolution like game), but Hoshido doesn't want to cooperate because it isolates itself. The whole greater problem is a secret so you don't know it yet and you have to choose between your loyalty or what seems the right choice. If it's an external problem you will directly tackle that problem in the third path. or something like this