Return of Casual

Biggest problem with complaining about grinding and casual is that you don't HAVE to grind or even play casual mode at all. If you want to be average than go be average. But to want to take out something that is OPTIONAL in the first place is just :facepalm:

Most veterans are cool ppl, but some "purists" just hate on Awakening because its not one of the older games. I'm glad for Awakening and its features. I played several of the older games before Awakening and enjoyed them immensely (except for Shadow Dragon) but the most fun I have had playing a Fire Emblem game is with Awakening. I still play it at least once a day for at least an hour and a half. And I still enjoy it. Does it have its flaws? Yes, the story is not always perfect and yes the some of the characters are one trait ponies. But some of the complaints I see are just plain ridiculous and they ruin the name of "Veterans" bc they make it seem like all veterans hate Awakening and any fans of it.

I am a veteran. I've played FE 1, FE 4 (Genealogy was a masterpiece), FE 7, FE 9, FE 11, FE 12, and my favorite Fire Emblem Awakening. Awakening is what you make out of it. That is the best way to describe it. You can be critical of its Narm moments or you can focus on its touching moments such as Emmeryn's death, Lucina meeting her father, and the Avatar's sacrifice. You can appreciate its enhanced support/pair up system or complain because its not like previous games of 1v1 with invisible support. You can love or hate its supports and their characters.

It's what you make of it in the end, so don't blame the game blame the player.

What am I allowed to complain about? A list would be helpful, so that I do not make such transgressions in the future.

I don't know a single person who hates Awakening purely because it is not one of the older games (or hate all fans of Awakening). When you say "Yes, the story is not always perfect [implying that it is generally perfect, lol] and some of the characters are one trick ponies [just some of them, huh]", you're really selling the flaws of Awakening's plot short! I mean, you could say the same about literally every FE game, so that's pretty much the most meaningless concession ever made. I especially like where you say that they ruin the name of "veterans", as if being a veteran of the video game series "Faia Emburemu" carries some sort of prestige; if only, maybe then I'd get more respect.

You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described? Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective. Oh, and another thing? People may be biased towards well anything, but noone chooses to hate things (...most of the time). Sorry, but all of your issues with the perceived minority are non entities! Thank you, come again.

Don't blame the game, blame the player is literally the most shit attitude you could possibly have.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty much, unless the player is DSP, you should never really blame a player for a game you dislike.

honestly the length of this topic is hilarious, casual is a mode for casuals who don't wanna stress over perma death, its fine as it is as an optional mode, now if it was the only mode available i'd be upset.

sides if we have to hate on awakening the words "the map designs are typically not very good, villages and chests aren't really rewarding, and there are afew big plotholes." is detail enough to make its flaws sound different from the flaws of the other games.

EDIT: i might actually make a thread in the general fire emblem sub fourm to experiment how we can describe the flaws of a game with three subjects or less and see if others can accurately guess them, if that kind of subject would be allowed.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

So... has anyone yet to link to the "Classic-haters"?

Please, I want to see this group being used as justification for "revenge" by certain people here.

Like seriously dislike Classic Mode for itself rather than refusing to play it because of the elitist reputation of people who do?

Because honestly, the only "hate" I've ever seen is that they don't like to reset every time and don't like being crapped on for not using the mode.

(I can cite a few people on Youtube comments that have been turned off by the forum's negative attitude towards people of low skill levels)

They are daunted by the task in front of them.

Most of the people who I've seen only play only Casual have been any of the following:

A) Respect those people who do play Classic.

B) Refuse to play the older games simply because it's too stressful. They know they lack the skill and gaining it isn't a worthy endeavor to go through the stress for them.

C) Refuse to play Classic because of a bad experience, such as being turned off by similar comments in this thread.

"I did it, so you can too" isn't really valid as people learn at their own pace.

You can't just tell someone to invest their time in something they're not interested in doing.

If they're not interested in trying Classic, you're just going to have to deal with it.

Hating on them for not trying something you love the "way it was meant to be played" only makes you salty.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Hopefully noone hates the people who play Casual Mode, because that would be dumb. I don't think I've seen that though, could be wrong.

Edited by Refa

Good question, Rey. Like i said earlier, i never have seen the anti-classic crowd in action. Only hearsay, only second hand. So where is this all happening? I dont really count Youtube comments because is that even a community? I havent even seen this shit happen on Tumblr. My only guess is gamefaqs is where this is really happening.

Im going to confess something. As one of the OGs, i havent played Classic mode in FE13 since my very first run through the game. (Normal/Classic) And its likely to be the same story with FE14. Why? Well, i do feel like i gotta go through an FE in Classic mode the first run through it. But after that, its all about what i want to do. That, and the harder modes are actually more fun. Yet, i dont want to pull my hair out during parts of the game. Early game in Lunatic is actually really tough for me. Even with the Casual mode, it can be a bit hard in those wee chapters. But i finished a run in that mode because of Casual mode. If that wasnt around, id likely never have tried Lunatic mode. I dont feel like im alone in that either. My default mode in FE13 is Hard/Casual. Its just right for me. Im actually not going to judge another person for having their default mode be Normal/Casual. While i'll encourage that person to try Normal/Classic, im sure as hell not going to be mad if they say "nah im kinda scared about doing that."

Wait, people get upset for having optional content exist?

I guess so...? I dont get it, myself.

Hopefully noone hates the people who play Casual Mode, because that would be dumb. I don't think I've seen that though, could be wrong.

Ive been seeing some "people who refuse to play Classic mode threaten my gameplay experience" implications. ;/

Quite honestly, its almost like complaining that a game gives you alternate characters to use.

Lets use Megaman X4 for example, until that point most of the main line Megaman and Megaman X games, Mega/X had been the only playable character, cut to Megaman X3 Zero was clutch character you could summon, but mostly played like X.

Jump forward to Megaman X4. Zero is fully playable, but plays completely different to X, he uses a short range saber and his boss strategies are different, his way of using boss techniques are different.

Did people complain about this? Because X still worked the same way, but Zero was added for ​variety.

Were there people who said "Oh look at those people who preferred how Zero played! IT'S NOT MEGAMAN ANYMORE". I don't seem to recall this.

The amount of options that this game is giving you even before release, is pretty impressive. You get to choose which route to take. Hoshido? Nohr? Your choice. You get to choose what your Kamui will look like. Male? Female? Long hair? Short hair? We'll see what kind of options Kamui will have for customizing. You likely get to choose a partner in the game. (thats if the game offers S Supports) And even if there are no S Supports, you still get to choose who you will PairUp with. You get to choose what level of difficulty you can play on. Normal, Hard, Lunatic. (and later, probably Lunatic +) You get to choose Classic mode or Casual mode. Hell, they are going to give you the option to choose a neutral side in the story eventually. You get to choose which DLC you get. You will get to choose the classes your MU and/or army can go into.

Im not sure i understand whats wrong with being able to choose how you play a game. If anything, this is the thing thats made me really excited about it. Thats how its being marketed. Options. A choice.

The amount of options that this game is giving you even before release, is pretty impressive. You get to choose which route to take. Hoshido? Nohr? Your choice. You get to choose what your Kamui will look like. Male? Female? Long hair? Short hair? We'll see what kind of options Kamui will have for customizing. You likely get to choose a partner in the game. (thats if the game offers S Supports) And even if there are no S Supports, you still get to choose who you will PairUp with. You get to choose what level of difficulty you can play on. Normal, Hard, Lunatic. (and later, probably Lunatic +) You get to choose Classic mode or Casual mode. Hell, they are going to give you the option to choose a neutral side in the story eventually. You get to choose which DLC you get. You will get to choose the classes your MU and/or army can go into.

Im not sure i understand whats wrong with being able to choose how you play a game. If anything, this is the thing thats made me really excited about it. Thats how its being marketed. Options. A choice.

more choices then bioware!

lookin forward to this game, not really sure what the problem is that everyone's having.

B) Refuse to play the older games simply because it's too stressful. They know they lack the skill and gaining it isn't a worthy endeavor to go through the stress for them.

That's interesting, because they're very likely to be wrong about the skill part, but easier modes, especially when their name implies that they're easy, tend to do that to you. They make higher difficulties look overwhelming if you have yet to experience them. The reality is that almost every Fire Emblem is fairly easy to beat in normal mode as long as you have a basic understanding of the game, which they'd obviously have at this point. Would they enjoy them? No idea. But I'm pretty sure they could beat them without much trouble.

Edited by Cysx

Deep, philosophical musings concerning an optional mode in a video game.

Why do you argue if your point of view boils down to "All opinions are subjective and all desires are equal. To claim otherwise is a display of bias."

Why discuss anything at all?

What am I allowed to complain about? A list would be helpful, so that I do not make such transgressions in the future.

I don't know a single person who hates Awakening purely because it is not one of the older games (or hate all fans of Awakening). When you say "Yes, the story is not always perfect [implying that it is generally perfect, lol] and some of the characters are one trick ponies [just some of them, huh]", you're really selling the flaws of Awakening's plot short! I mean, you could say the same about literally every FE game, so that's pretty much the most meaningless concession ever made. I especially like where you say that they ruin the name of "veterans", as if being a veteran of the video game series "Faia Emburemu" carries some sort of prestige; if only, maybe then I'd get more respect.

You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described? Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective. Oh, and another thing? People may be biased towards well anything, but noone chooses to hate things (...most of the time). Sorry, but all of your issues with the perceived minority are non entities! Thank you, come again.

Don't blame the game, blame the player is literally the most shit attitude you could possibly have.

Did... did I even address you at all or say that you aren't allowed to complain about something? All I said was that complaining about optional features is kind of pointless because they are optional. If you can choose to not use them and you are therefore un-affected then what's the point of complaining? Where's the "pain" that is caused by something that is optional.

I don't know a single person who hates Awakening purely because it is not one of the older games (or hate all fans of Awakening).

Different experience than me, you haven't walked in my shoes.

When you say "Yes, the story is not always perfect [implying that it is generally perfect, lol]

Um No to be perfect means to be... perfect. If something is not always perfect than it is not perfect.

and some of the characters are one trick ponies [just some of them, huh]"

Matter of opinion of course but if you delve deeper into Awakening's characters and unlock their supports you'll find that a lot of them are more complex then half the fandom gives them credit for.

you're really selling the flaws of Awakening's plot short!

Or you're underselling many of Awakening's emotional and moving plot moments, interesting characters, and engaging and deep combat system.

I mean, you could say the same about literally every FE game, so that's pretty much the most meaningless concession ever made.

What? It's a fair statement. Fire Emblem games have loads of characters and bc of this only a couple per game are well-fleshed out and have a decent backstory. The rest are flanderizations. If you gave every single character a completely fleshed out back story with millions of quirks and attitudes they wouldn't be secondary characters.

I especially like where you say that they ruin the name of "veterans", as if being a veteran of the video game series "Faia Emburemu" carries some sort of prestige;

Wrong again, I said that those kinds of ppl make veterans look like bullies to newcomers. And as has been previously stated by Shadowofchaos and others, some veterans do carry some pride with them. But this is not the problem, the problem is when they feel that their "status" is being threatened by putting optional features into a game and hating on said game bc of these optional features. One of their most common defense is trashing Awakening by saying other games do it better. Not only is this a matter of opinion (which is fine, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion) but it becomes twisted as an excuse.

And not all veterans are like this, I stated as much in the beginning.

if only, maybe then I'd get more respect.

That's your problem

You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described?

So suddenly they all suck? Like you said its in the eye of the beholder. Just bc you think they suck doesn't mean that I do.

Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective. Oh, and another thing? People may be biased towards well anything, but noone chooses to hate things (...most of the time). Sorry, but all of your issues with the perceived minority are non entities! Thank you, come again.

Did... did I even mention anyone being a minority. Perhaps someone else here feels threatened and alone. Not me

Not towards Awakening it isn't.

You've pointed out Subjectivity and Objectivity but I don't believe you quite understand what they mean. Webster Definitions to the rescue:

Subjectivity refers to how someone's judgment is shaped by personal opinions and feelings instead of outside influences.

Objectivity: the quality of being objective. Neutrality.
Thank you for proving my point about Awakening. You claimed that more than a couple characters were one trick ponies, you claimed that story moments weren't as poignant as I believed they are. And you claimed that I was being Subjective, not objective. But that was the entire point of my previous post. That Awakening is what you make of it in the end. You can complain about optional features or you can realize that they are optional and don't affect you.
But you missed my main point, attacking Awakening, its fans, and its features because of "veteran" pride is pathetic. If you believe Awakening sucked then that's just fine. But don't attack newcomers bc they play on casual or they say Awakening was great or whatever.
Thanks for the help, you did all of my work for me

Wait, people get upset for having optional content exist?

Assuming free will, everything (including playing the game itself) is optional. I think it's already been made clear that something merely existing can be displeasurable to someone else, even if it is "optional". Not specifically targetting Awakening here (I don't actually care about this specific angle much personally anyway), but F2P games with Pay to Win optional purchases available are frequently criticised by many people, both the players of the game, and those who do not play the game. This is because their perception of the game's quality has been reduced from their prefential ideal.

Did people complain about this? Because X still worked the same way, but Zero was added for ​variety.

Actually, I have heard numerous people complain that Zero is OP, even if he is fun to play. As such, in some manner they think it detracts from the game's balance. It's not an argument I'd try to make myself, mostly because I'm not really precisely familiar with how many situations Zero actually trivialises compared to X, and the fact that charged Megabuster shots tend to be more useful overall in my experience. Regardless, something akin to what you describe exists.

Im not sure i understand whats wrong with being able to choose how you play a game

The argument isn't against the fact that you can choose (because that's omnipresent period), it's against including a particular choice within the game. Clearly, there are choices that can be added that we may disagree with on a preferential level. Many people dislike reclassing for example, despite the fact it is an optional choice to use the mechanic. Frequently, even on these very forums, rebuttals to the claim "well you don't have to use reclassing" are met with "that's irrelevant, it's an aspect of design".

Why do you argue if your point of view boils down to "All opinions are subjective and all desires are equal. To claim otherwise is a display of bias."

Why discuss anything at all?

It's entertaining. Besides, demonstrating that we're all more similar than we think is somewhat helpful, and can lead to a greater degree of solidarity. In particular this topic incenses some people, and many seem unable to understand the opposing viewpoint. My goal is to enlighten them. It helps that I was able to at least convince one person (or at least, they stated as such) in the last thread on this subject (Refa).

EDIT: Also I'd hardly call those "deep" musings.

Edited by Irysa

The argument isn't against the fact that you can choose (because that's omnipresent period), it's against including a particular choice within the game.

"Its not about being against choice, but its about taking away a choice."

Market game about being about choice in gameplay and story. Take away an option to limit choice. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Wait, no it doesnt.

I didn't say it was about taking away a choice. I said it was about including a particular choice in the first place. I've repeatedly said myself that Casual Mode should remain (for practical reasons).

Addtionally, some choices have been inherantly removed from the game in terms of a series perspective. For example, weapon weight, constitution, etc. If your position is "maximise choice" then should we not be reprehending them for removing it, simply for removing it? In fact, given that some people do object to this being removed, and some contest that it's removal was for the better, this actually has some notable parallells to the current topic.

Besides, you're moving the goalposts here. Not all choices are equal, no? More choice is in itself not indicative of a good thing. More meaningful/valuable/interesting choices is what I would label as good.

Edited by Irysa

For what it's worth, Irysa, while I don't agree with your conclusion, I also agree many of the points you made in the previous thread (e.g., that the changes in casual detracts from the experience).

So suddenly they all suck? Like you said its in the eye of the beholder. Just bc you think they suck doesn't mean that I do.

[...]

You've pointed out Subjectivity and Objectivity but I don't believe you quite understand what they mean.

[...]

I'm not going to bother correcting some trivialities with the rest of the post because that's largely irrelevant.

You still fail to explain how it's the player's fault for the player for finding portions of the game lacking (this is an opinion), just because you believe (opinion) the same parts are "quality".

But saying that "you don't understand how objectivity and subjectivity work" in response to "You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described? Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective." is ridiculous.

And it makes you look ridiculous, especially when you end your post with the text equivalent of :smug:

Edited by Euklyd

Why is Nintendo making everything easy?

My first run of FE7, I think like like 50% of my team died and I still beat the game no problems.

Edited by Knife

For what it's worth, Irysa, while I don't agree with your conclusion, I also agree many of the points you made in the previous thread (e.g., that the changes in casual detracts from the experience).

I'm not going to bother correcting some trivialities with the rest of the post because that's largely irrelevant.

You still fail to explain how it's the player's fault for the player for finding portions of the game lacking (this is an opinion), just because you believe (opinion) the same parts are "quality".

But saying that "you don't understand how objectivity and subjectivity work" in response to "You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described? Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective." is ridiculous.

And it makes you look ridiculous, especially when you end your post with the text equivalent of :smug:

Bc the common arguments are grinding, story quality, character quality, casual mode, reclassing.

In this case however, the main things being addressed were story and characters. These things are subjective. Therefore how can you blame a game as having a "Bad" story or "Characters" if the viewpoint is subjective in truth. Therefore if a player doesn't like a story or characters, matters which are often based on Subjective bias, it is not the game who is at fault but the player themselves because they are basing their opinion as fact and therefore more correct than others.

The quality issue here was once again referring to characters. If I believe Awakening's characters are high quality and fleshed out but he doesn't how is that not subjective? It is an opinion and therefore based on bias, not fact. It's like saying you think Batman is a better character than Superman. Depending on your experiences, personal tastes, and situation your answer could change. It's laced with bias and to call it objective is ridiculous.

Please. He said I was being subjective in my first post but he claimed that I was trying to seem objective. My entire first post was about how people take different things from Awakening. Some like the emotional moments, others just plain groan. But my main point was that Subjective statements are not fact. And that "purists" sometimes attack Awakening, newcomers, and its optional features bc of pride that comes from this subjectivity.

Don't make accusations or call me ridiculous without reading the material you are commenting on. It makes you look ridiculous.

Quite honestly, its almost like complaining that a game gives you alternate characters to use.

Lets use Megaman X4 for example, until that point most of the main line Megaman and Megaman X games, Mega/X had been the only playable character, cut to Megaman X3 Zero was clutch character you could summon, but mostly played like X.

People do that all of the time, so this doesn't reaaaaaally prove your point. It's just that noone complained about Zero in Mega Man X4 because he was fucking awesome (and people DID complain about how he was so lame in X3).

I don't know a single person who hates Awakening purely because it is not one of the older games (or hate all fans of Awakening).

1) Different experience than me, you haven't walked in my shoes.

and some of the characters are one trick ponies [just some of them, huh]"

2) Matter of opinion of course but if you delve deeper into Awakening's characters and unlock their supports you'll find that a lot of them are more complex then half the fandom gives them credit for.

I mean, you could say the same about literally every FE game, so that's pretty much the most meaningless concession ever made.

3) What? It's a fair statement. Fire Emblem games have loads of characters and bc of this only a couple per game are well-fleshed out and have a decent backstory. The rest are flanderizations. If you gave every single character a completely fleshed out back story with millions of quirks and attitudes they wouldn't be secondary characters.

I especially like where you say that they ruin the name of "veterans", as if being a veteran of the video game series "Faia Emburemu" carries some sort of prestige;

4) Wrong again, I said that those kinds of ppl make veterans look like bullies to newcomers. And as has been previously stated by Shadowofchaos and others, some veterans do carry some pride with them. But this is not the problem, the problem is when they feel that their "status" is being threatened by putting optional features into a game and hating on said game bc of these optional features. One of their most common defense is trashing Awakening by saying other games do it better. Not only is this a matter of opinion (which is fine, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion) but it becomes twisted as an excuse.

You need to understand that the quality of all of those moments you described?

5) So suddenly they all suck? Like you said its in the eye of the beholder. Just bc you think they suck doesn't mean that I do.

Yeah, that's not objective, it's subjective. Oh, and another thing? People may be biased towards well anything, but noone chooses to hate things (...most of the time). Sorry, but all of your issues with the perceived minority are non entities! Thank you, come again.

6) Did... did I even mention anyone being a minority. Perhaps someone else here feels threatened and alone. Not me

7) Not towards Awakening it isn't.

8) But you missed my main point, attacking Awakening, its fans, and its features because of "veteran" pride is pathetic. If you believe Awakening sucked then that's just fine. But don't attack newcomers bc they play on casual or they say Awakening was great or whatever.

1) You could like, show an example. Or not, I guess. Whatever you want.

2) Honestly, you're probably right about Awakening characters having more depth than people give them credit for, especially since I've spent like zero effort analyzing them. I just wish their surface hinted at that more.

3) My point is if Awakening had the same narrative flaws as every FE game, people wouldn't complain about it as much.

4) Still don't know anyone like that. They must be the super token minority.

5) I never said they all suck. Lucina meeting her father rules. I can understand why other people wouldn't like them.

6) Fuck, you're right. My insecurities and flaws have manifested in my (totally existent) hatred of Fire Emblem Awakening.

7) It's never the player's fault. They can dislike a game for the most trivial of reasons and are well within their right to do so.

8) OK, I'll stop attacking fans of Fire Emblem Awakening despite my obvious loathing of Casual Mode and Awakening and everything they hold dear and love. Should I also stop drinking the blood of virgins, or is that still A-OK?

Thread topic needs to be changed to "X is a good/bad thing" "Well, that's just your opinion, man."

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

I really don't get why people make a big deal when someone plays casual?? I mean THEY bought the game, if people feel comfortable playing casual then let them play casual. It's really dumb that people hate on them on how they play the game.

Read the thread now and you might find out!!!!! Unless you have better things to do with your time, I GUESS.

Thread topic needs to be changed to "X is a good/bad thing" "Well, that's just your opinion, man."

People can still make incorrect/dubious claims to back their arguments up though. I mean, opinions are cheap, but reasoning requires more effort. With sound reasoning, an opinion can start having qualitative properties, which I think gives them merit, and allows for a framework of interesting discussion, and broader enlightenment. "Fire Emblem is good" is hard to work with but "Fire Emblem is good because..." has potential for a good exchange. I want to talk about this because I think the subject is interesting/potentially interesting. For example, the subtopic of methods of achieving accessability and the limits of accessability are both compelling design concerns.

One of the reasons I've been pressing this particular issue of "Your opinion by default has no merit and is comparable to the counterarguments presented" is to see whether or not anyone can provide substantive reasoning as to "why Casual Mode is a good thing/why Casual Mode is not a bad thing", and then follow the train of logic to see where it takes us. Generally speaking, the majority appear to default to "I like it" (not enough to go on) or "I don't care" (some variants of this have been addressed), and unfortunately, not much else follows. The discussion has stagnated because of a lack of elaboration on specifics to discuss.

Integrity has provided something I can't object to - an argument of patronage. I'm a bit unconvinced that this is neccessarily the line of thinking for all members who support the mode's existance though. Some people have personal investment in that they were able to get relatives or friends to share in something they enjoy, but this doesn't appear to be a sizable portion either. I suppose the apathy towards the topic is due to how many things have been repeated endlessly though, and I doubt anyone wants to see me go back and rewrite out "Why Casual Mode detracts from the experience of playing Fire Emblem" again just to see if anyone will challenge any claims.

I suppose I should just give up in this endeavor though, seeing as I literally had a hypothetical argument with myself on the last page about what I think people seem to be supporting with the assertion that "Casual Mode is good".

I really don't get why people make a big deal when someone plays casual?? I mean THEY bought the game, if people feel comfortable playing casual then let them play casual. It's really dumb that people hate on them on how they play the game.

Then again there's posts like this that also kind of incite me to want to point back and say "hey look, I addressed this, if you geninuely want to know!"

Edited by Irysa