How playable is the Tracia 776 english translation?

NOTchazbc24

i remember giving it a go when i was hot off the heals of FE4 and saying to myself "This incomplete translation is going to mar the experience of playing through the sequel of my favorite game of all time." So i made a promise to myself id wait till a complete fan translation was release. well... that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon, and im becoming incredibly impatient. What are your experiences with playing through the game using the current translation?

Really buggy text but the game itself is perfectly playable the plot is at least done. But menus need a revamp once you learn them youl be fine though. Also after I think chapter 23 don't hover over heroes they will crash the game.

Edited by JDT001

Really buggy text but the game itself is perfectly playable the plot is at least done. But menus need a revamp once you learn them youl be fine though. Also after I think chapter 23 don't hover over heroes they will crash the game.

wow. sounds awful

The menus are untranslated but there's only one game-breaking bug with the chapter 23 heroes. There is a menu patch available somewhere, which is probably a tad more playable, but not quite as funny.

The story translation is basically complete. The only things untranslated are the menus, weapon descriptions (the weapon names are translated however), and terrain names. Also there is one gamebreaking bug with the heroes on chapter 23, which is really bad as one of those heroes is a recruitable character.

Edited by Monado Boy

The translation is pretty meh, all things considered, I'd do it for the menu's but I find myself just playing the game in Nippon.

I think the stuff that is left untranslated should be easily identifiable by an experienced FE player. Even the options menu wasn't much of a problem since it's the same as always. And the generic mercenaries are thankfully just in one single chapter and can be fought without crashing the game. There are some oddities like lines not fitting into dialogue boxes among others, but I would say it's definitely playable. It's definitely more playable then the unpateched Wii U version of Smash 4 was at release.

Edit: But then again, I grew up with PC games so I'm probably more tolerant towards this stuff then others.

Edited by BrightBow

It's awful how nobody has yet bothered making a decent-looking patch for Thracia yet.

From what i understand, an editing tool for fe4 and fe5 is at least theoretically in development. When that's done, fe4 and fe5 retranslations will probably follow shortly. Someone actualy worked on a base rom to insert the text into, but was waiting on the editor before doing anything.

BUt it is really odd how many people think that fe12 is a higher retranslation priorety because names don't match up with the awakening ones.

From what i understand, an editing tool for fe4 and fe5 is at least theoretically in development. When that's done, fe4 and fe5 retranslations will probably follow shortly. Someone actualy worked on a base rom to insert the text into, but was waiting on the editor before doing anything.

BUt it is really odd how many people think that fe12 is a higher retranslation priorety because names don't match up with the awakening ones.

I believe someone is working on a complete retranslation of the FE5 script, but hasn't been very public about it. If it was in my power I'd certainly make an attempt to retranslate and insert the text, but if I were to be involved in any kind of translation I'd probably be editing the text post-translation to make it sound a bit better in English, localization I guess you'd call it.

FE12 as higher priority? Please...

The hell? FE12 has a fine translation, who cares about Awakening names? Put the Awakening names in Thracia!

Let's not. It'd make everyone fight over every single damn name and have us wait even longer for a translation that's competent.

The hell? FE12 has a fine translation, who cares about Awakening names?

Exactly my point.

Let's not. It'd make everyone fight over every single damn name and have us wait even longer for a translation that's competent.

Iirc, the user bookofholsety is the one who is behind the fe4 and (and probably eventualy 5) translation efforts, and he is changing any names that he feels have issues in english. (in fe4, fury bacame erin, delmud became dermid and i belive that tinny became cassy. These were simply because he felt that the existing names simply did not work in english, no matter how accurate they are to the japanese. Trying to stop a firestorm of jugdral name arguments when people start noticing is a lost cause by this point.

Well the goal of Resire (the text insertion tool) is to work well enough that if you don't like the names it would be super easy for the end user to change them to whatever they want without needing a whole new patch. So I don't think the folks making it really care about the names but I know Dermid doesn't exist in my version of English.

I periodically check its github page though and there have been no updates since it was created over a year ago. bookofholsety is definitely still working on his end but I dunno about the rest.

Well the goal of Resire (the text insertion tool) is to work well enough that if you don't like the names it would be super easy for the end user to change them to whatever they want without needing a whole new patch. So I don't think the folks making it really care about the names but I know Dermid doesn't exist in my version of English.

I periodically check its github page though and there have been no updates since it was created over a year ago. bookofholsety is definitely still working on his end but I dunno about the rest.

I noticed the same thing after posting the previous post. Odds are, we are going to end up with an exelent fe4 retranslation script that will wait years before insertion into the actual rom. (unless someone uses the original translation tools, but i've heard that the entier reason for coding resire was that these are annoying and dificult to use, and poorly coded enough that you might as welll start from scratch if you want large changes) As for fe5, i don't know whether the original tools even exist anymore.

Edited by sirmola

Hi FE friends, I have a question about Thracia 776. I'm playing the translated version and encountered as issue. I don't know whether it is part of the game or if it's something that I could fix if I did something with the menus (which are untranslated).

Chapter 8 started me off with only Leaf and the Three new additions to the party to choose from (Leaf, Othin, Halvan & Carrion (pardon any misspelling). I thought maybe because the fatigue system was introduced that my other characters needed to rest from Chapter 7.

So yeah, I beat Chapter 8 with just the people I was offered and managed to catch the boss to unlock chapter 8x. The problem is, aside from Marty (the axe wielder recruited in chapter 8) I'm still only offered the same characters to choose from.

Should I be able to use other characters in 8x? Is there something on the menu I have to do so other characters show up in the party roster? I can keep pressing on with 8x but I have a feeling it might be unecessarily difficult given the circumstances.

Also, I did try to apply a menu patch to the already patched rom and that didn't have any effect. I'm not sure what order to patch the game.

Thanks for anyone who can help. I've played FE 4, 6,7,8,9 and I worried about playing this game because the patch was supposed to be buggy (and the difficulty to be high) but I thought I would give it a shot.post-15080-0-69532500-1430774598_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwordsmanDan

^Chapter 7 was an escape mission, so that means that all characters must be brought to the exit before Leaf, or they are captured. It looks like you didn't escape with everyone in chapter 7.

Edited by Zvarri!

if you get a clean rom with patch pre applied you shouldn't have any problems (or follow text instructions of the ips zip perfectly with NSRT.)

there's some buggy text in the beginning that overlaps with popular versions / error applied roms, but the previous sentence should fix it. if it doesn't try resetting until the intro text fixes and save by save state. also, there are some crashable bugs as posters above have mentioned, so beware on those chapters.

as far as menu being untranslated, that shouldn't be a problem for a veteran FE player as they are pretty much the same; but consider picking up a guide if it becomes difficult to learn and just keep it open to reference if you get lost in translation on the menu.

^Chapter 7 was an escape mission, so that means that all characters must be brought to the exit before Leaf, or they are captured. It looks like you didn't escape with everyone in chapter 7.

omfg. I really appreciate the help, but naturally, I'm annoyed. I read the guide wrong apparently. Thanks for the info.

if you get a clean rom with patch pre applied you shouldn't have any problems (or follow text instructions of the ips zip perfectly with NSRT.)

there's some buggy text in the beginning that overlaps with popular versions / error applied roms, but the previous sentence should fix it. if it doesn't try resetting until the intro text fixes and save by save state. also, there are some crashable bugs as posters above have mentioned, so beware on those chapters.

as far as menu being untranslated, that shouldn't be a problem for a veteran FE player as they are pretty much the same; but consider picking up a guide if it becomes difficult to learn and just keep it open to reference if you get lost in translation on the menu.

-----SwordsmanDan:

Ah yeah, thanks, I appreciate it. I downloaded the newest version of the patch I could find which was 1.9 (I think). The one at emuparadise was 1.8. I'm not sure if applying the menu patch to 1.8 would make it better than 1.9 but now I guess it doesn't matter. It wasn't a menu issue afterall. I forgot the basics of an escape mission. I was thinking like Fire Emblem 9 where if Ike gets to the goal everyone does. At least, that's how I remember it.

Edited by SwordsmanDan

I might be wrong, but I'm not quite sure stacking patches is really a thing.

Yup, it won't do anything if you apply the menu patch and then the 'main' patch on top of it.

See, the ips patches are just a plain file used to transform the whole rom into another state (IE: with all edits to it to the font table, translations, visual edits etc).

If you apply the menu patch, it'll translate the menu (duh) but when you apply the mainstory patch, it will just transform the rom into that translation and revert menu translation edits.

I myself tried 6-7 years ago IIRC to clean up the menu mess of the main translation... From what I recall, the rom was a complete mess, no pointer redirection could fix it. I recall some of the menu parts were plainly using some graphic parts of the font table at the end of the rom, but I couldn't find a way to repoint those to a basic font.

That, and space limitations (IE: only 2 characters available) were annoying too.

But I'm a newb, I just was able to do basic pointer redirections and graphic edits (with the font table) back in the day, following some advices here and there (on the old FESS sites and asking Celice for advices).

Maybe someone with time to waste would be able to clean off the menu mess, but as others said, it's not worth the trouble.

Tl; dr there won't be any fixed translation anytime soon, until those guys finish their tool.

I think you'd have better chance waiting for an official Intelligent System remake than for a new translation lol.

Edited by Hyunckel

Well there's plot, but a lot of the info in the menu is in weird glitched text, but playable. Now if thracia is playable as a fire emblem game, that's another question...