The Dark Prince/Princess Class

Alphine

1. If by ''Western'' you mean ''not serpentine'', then I'll point out that the Ice Dragons, Mage Dragons, Naga, Medeus, and Loptyr were all shown to be or looked serpentine in the Kaga games.

2. Morgan's sibling support always has her siblings to her like they were close.

QXtg81d.pngUYi2CN0.png

Here's the pair for the unknowing. Naga does have wings, though. (can't usually see them very well due to hit info and HP covering them in gameplay, Loptyr does have wings on his map sprite when he dissipates at the end of FE4 as well)

Though TCG Dark Dragon Medeus is drawn as a straight up snake-thing on one of the cards.

Edited by L95

It's Loptous, not Loptyr, burn you monster.

Nah seriously, I always though that this TCG was supposed to be a 'normal' dark dragon, rather than Medeus himself.

Grima seems rather Eastern, then again, calling Grima a dragon is rather iffy.

1. If by ''Western'' you mean ''not serpentine'', then I'll point out that the Ice Dragons, Mage Dragons, Naga, Medeus, and Loptyr were all shown to be or looked serpentine in the Kaga games.

The signature elements of a Western dragon are 4 legs, a pair of wings and a broad chest. Long necks and tails are not exclusive to Eastern dragons. I'd still describe the majority of FE dragons to be primarily western based, including the ones you listed. Kamui has the 4 legs and wings covered but his lithe body, horns and tail are more reminiscent of the Kirin.

double posted because technology is technology isn't very reliable and because I normally just post and get off without looking, and week's been busy.

So... a dragon is a realistic animal...?Derp.What do you mean about the transformation, specifically?

I want to say that they appear to take a shorter time, but that's literally only based off of my experience with Awakening's manaketes, which is literally where I'm getting my opinion of manaketes, their appearance and mechanics from throughout this entire thread, which I only somewhat referenced in the beginning (I believe, anyway) in which it was the cutscene that made it appear longer than it really was (at least to me they did).

This thread made me realize how uninformed I actually am about manaketes (since I just assumed they were all very similar, being part of the same race and whatnot). In reality, I meant that Kamui is not a manakete like the manaketes in Awakening. It's mostly just the drastic difference between their appearances (Awakening's appearing as winged, flying lizards and Kamui appearing as more of a kirin, which has been mentioned in multiple threads), which I believe we're all aware of. Also, I don't believe there's been a design in the previous installments similar to Kamui's. The only connection to her/him being a manakete is the use of dragonstones and the transformation (which connects him to laguz as well). After that, despite it being too early to really decide on what they're thinking for If, I believe it's pretty safe to assume that Kamui is not like any other manakete we've seen before if they end up being one.

I see no confirmation that Kamui is NOT a manakete in any way. Plus, not only is Kamui's form Western-based, manaketes have had a variety of forms throughout FE, especially Fae, who looks the most different out of all the manaketes, Kamui included, so a difference in dragon form proves nothing.

Also, it wouldn't be too far-fetched for Kamui being able to wield both dragonstones and swords to NOT be overpowered, since he/she is the lord, and I theorise manaketes usually only get boosts in stats by dragonstones because they aren't wearing gear like the other classes, but rather their preferred outfits, which aren't as protective. Thus, Kamui may only get no stat boosts from using a dragonstone.

(By the way, please don't make consecutive posts. Use the edit button.)

Appearance is different, but as someone stated before, they are pretty inconsistent with manakete designs. I find it somewhat ironic that an Eastern child has a Western-based form unless Kamui's dad turns out to not be Eastern or something along those lines. That theory does seem pretty plausible, and I think the ranking system they put in stones might mean that they may function like the other weapon types in game, so some stones might have boosts while others may not.

(I'm not always on nor do I keep constant maintenance of my posts, so I do apologize if I make the mistake in the future).

EDIT: yo don't doublepost though

Edited by Integrity

The signature elements of a Western dragon are 4 legs, a pair of wings and a broad chest. Long necks and tails are not exclusive to Eastern dragons. I'd still describe the majority of FE dragons to be primarily western based, including the ones you listed. Kamui has the 4 legs and wings covered but his lithe body, horns and tail are more reminiscent of the Kirin.

1024px-Kadmos_dragon_Louvre_E707.jpg

22-MS-Tolkein-drawings-30.jpg1555x2000.j

Western Dragons have coalesced into what we think of today recently, the farther you go back the more serpanty your Western dragons become.

1024px-Kadmos_dragon_Louvre_E707.jpg

double posted because technology is technology isn't very reliable and because I normally just post and get off without looking, and week's been busy.

I want to say that they appear to take a shorter time, but that's literally only based off of my experience with Awakening's manaketes, which is literally where I'm getting my opinion of manaketes, their appearance and mechanics from throughout this entire thread, which I only somewhat referenced in the beginning (I believe, anyway) in which it was the cutscene that made it appear longer than it really was (at least to me they did).

This thread made me realize how uninformed I actually am about manaketes (since I just assumed they were all very similar, being part of the same race and whatnot). In reality, I meant that Kamui is not a manakete like the manaketes in Awakening. It's mostly just the drastic difference between their appearances (Awakening's appearing as winged, flying lizards and Kamui appearing as more of a kirin, which has been mentioned in multiple threads), which I believe we're all aware of. Also, I don't believe there's been a design in the previous installments similar to Kamui's. The only connection to her/him being a manakete is the use of dragonstones and the transformation (which connects him to laguz as well). After that, despite it being too early to really decide on what they're thinking for If, I believe it's pretty safe to assume that Kamui is not like any other manakete we've seen before if they end up being one.

Tiki's Dragon form in Awakening looks nothing like her dragon form in past games, yet they're the same.

Bs_fe01_manakete_divinestone.png

Bs_fe03_divine_dragon_mist_breath.png

Bs_fe06_fae_manakete_breath_02.png

Bs_fe11_divine_dragon.png

Fire Emblem Dragon forms are rather inconsistent.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

The third one is Fae. (unless this was just a general Divine dragon comparison.)

Also, FE3 book one Tiki also has a different divine dragon form for some reason.

YWFdRYY.png

Book one on the left, book two on the right. These are both from FE3 lol

Though, I guess she could have grown some fur in the 3 years between?

Edited by L95

That was Divine Dragons in general.

Point is, Dragon designs can change alot game to game.

Combine with, the different species of dragon, I'd say its a definite Kamui is a manakete. He could even be a past dragon tribe member, with a redesigned form.

On the whole "Why use the sword if you can be a dragon?" question;

1. I think it's reasonable to assume that the sword Kamui uses will have some damage boosting element, almost every "Lord" class Prf weapon has had that (3x damage vs mounted/armored or 3x damage vs. dragons).

2. It may be possible that the boosts a dragonstone provides have been toned down from what they used to be, such that turning into a dragon isn't as insanely OP as it has been.

Personally I'd keep the boosts the way they have been and make dragonstone kills award less EXP than sword kills as a way to make it less OP. Sort of like a built in Jeigan, although not that extreme.

Or you simply don't get a dragon stone till chapter 1 -3 possibly when we meet Aqua Dancina and making him not have a weapon until then is pretty unfeasible, and losing his weapon after he gets stones is not necessary at all and probably goes against his character. Also he probably as you said has a special sword with effective bonuses, also if they have forging, dragon-stones might not be forgeable, and of course even if we do have new dragon-stones as suggested by their weapon rank, we might not get one with a brave effect or a high crit rate.

Appearance is different, but as someone stated before, they are pretty inconsistent with manakete designs. I find it somewhat ironic that an Eastern child has a Western-based form unless Kamui's dad turns out to not be Eastern or something along those lines. That theory does seem pretty plausible, and I think the ranking system they put in stones might mean that they may function like the other weapon types in game, so some stones might have boosts while others may not.

(I'm not always on nor do I keep constant maintenance of my posts, so I do apologize if I make the mistake in the future).

(You just double posted again with that same post...)

It's not an issue of consistency, it's more invoking variety into dragon forms, which is alright.

Also, to respond to your previous post, in connection to manaketes, Kamui also has pointy ears with little detailed grooves along their bottom angles. Laguz also don't use similar-acting stones to transform as long as the stones have power, but instead use one-use stones to replenish a transformation bar, so the link to the laguz isn't really that sturdy of a link, not to mention they've only appeared in one continent/world for two games, while manaketes have been around since the beginning, and appeared in four continents/worlds (counting Archanea and Ylisse as separate) for a total of eight games. Oh, and if you're also saying that Kamui's dragon form differing from others is hinting at him not being like other manaketes, Fae looks more different from the others than Kamui. That's not really a hint.

Something I've theorized is the potential that there's more than one type of manakete. Most of the manaketes we've seen are referred to as Divine Dragons, what if there's more types than we see since they're so rare?

So my point is, what if Kamui's from a different species of manakete, hence the drastically different dragon transformation and the potentially shorter life time?

Would also explain why Kamui's class is Dark Prince/Princess, their classification of manakete is Dark Dragon.

With risk of changing the subject, I just wanted to point out (which many of you might already know) that the Dark Prince class was Julius' class in "Genealogy of the Holy War" - it could just be a coincidence, but Julius was a vessel to an evil earth dragon, no? Maybe Kamui's dragon form is linked to that, somehow...?

Either way, I'm inclined to agree that Kamui is a manakete - people have already pointed it out, but Kamui does have pointed ears for a reason.

Something I've theorized is the potential that there's more than one type of manakete. Most of the manaketes we've seen are referred to as Divine Dragons, what if there's more types than we see since they're so rare?

Well, we know there are earth dragons and fire dragons...

I've seen the theory that Kamui is a water dragon, based on the one scene at the end of the first trailer where he seems to be drowning Aqua, but honestly I think Awakening's seahorse dragons would've been a better fit for that.

So my point is, what if Kamui's from a different species of manakete, hence the drastically different dragon transformation and the potentially shorter life time?

Would also explain why Kamui's class is Dark Prince/Princess, their classification of manakete is Dark Dragon.

Yeah, there've been different Manakete tribes. Divine dragons are one of the rarest and most powerful, earth dragons are a bit under divine dragons (though Xane says there are no Earth Dragon Manakete on Archanea other than Medeus.) Ice dragons, fire dragons, mage(demon in FE7) dragons.

It's not even really... a theory. There are different types of Manakete. Though the only dark dragons are 'corrupted' Earth dragons.

Personally, I think Kamui might be a water dragon, as something water-like appears when he transforms.

Edited by L95