21st May Magazine Leaks/Previews

Lushiris

I think you are vastly overstating how useful they are, but to each their own.

I suspect it's much, much more relevant in the higher difficulty modes.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually wonder if they'll phase out hand axes and javelins for this game, now that axes and lances have ranged weapons corresponding to them on the weapons triangle (bows and concealed weapons, which will probably include shurikens and throwing knives).

Just because lances share a spot on the weapon triangle with knives doesn't mean all lance users will also be able to use knives.

Also bows != 1-2 range

Though related to your point, it would've been nice if bows shared the spot with swords so bows could've occupied a useful 2-range WTA niche against axes

Edited by Bovinian

I'm liking that weapons can buff and nerf stats. What I'm wondering is how significant these stat changes will be in the lategame, as if we end up with Awakening or even RD's stat caps, -2 for strength, or -4 for defence won't make much of a difference. Although, on the Nohr route I wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely unlikely to ever reach your stat caps.

Also, I'm liking the new weapon triangle.

Edited by Monado Boy

I think that it's really interesting how the mere existence of even one weapon can greatly affect a character's usage. Take Canas, for example: without Luna, he's an average unit, around Erk's level in usefulness as a magic user. But with Luna, he can slay any unit in the game in one round, given enough Speed and Skill.

If bows had range 1-2, then I think that Archer/Sniper viability would go way up, but I also think that it'd spoil what they're meant to be: Tanky but harmless up close, deadly (and sometimes unreachable) from far away.

I suspect it's much, much more relevant in the higher difficulty modes.

They're actually even better on lower difficulties, because suddenly the units don't need skill procs or Dual Strikes (depending on the FE we're talking about) off the back of the 1~2-range weapons to secure the kill. They can just wade into the enemy and counterattack almost everything (barring siege tomes and longbows), murdering the whole crowd of them. If you want proof of just how absurd this gets, see the Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, or Awakening any% speedruns.

Quick question: do you think we have all the information, most of it, some or almost none?

We have about half. Everything from the images has already been obtained, but there is translating that needs to be done for the specifics.

I never understood why a miss counted as a use

Because you still shot fire at people, same reason as why magic uses are depleted after a miss

I'm liking that weapons can buff and nerf stats. What I'm wondering is how significant these stat changes will be in the lategame, as if we end up with Awakening or even RD's stat caps, -2 for strength, or -4 for defence won't make much of a difference. Although, on the Nohr route I wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely unlikely to ever reach your stat caps.

Also, I'm liking the new weapon triangle.

Perhaps there could be something that say, doubles the effects of weapons, and the like.

Quick question: do you think we have all the information, most of it, some or almost none?

I think we have 1/2 to 2/3 of all the info.

My guess is that the Famitsu feature is 4 pages, so it should have a bunch of stuff.

There's also some stuff you can vaguely see from the tiny preview that nobody has found out/leaked. Like the purported female Dark Mage at the top of the second page. Or Sakura's inventory.

New weapon triangle I can dig it. Because really outside of like. The Jugdral games, FE6 and the DS games it hasn't really mattered much at all. I hope this new one can actually give some past early game incentive to actually pay attention to it.

Weapons all having attributive gimmicks? I actually like that too.

Me. I wonder if each class of weapon will have its own attributes or whether the other types will just have the same penalties as swords, but with varying buffs/debffs?

In other words, I wonder if all bronze weapons are unable to critical but give a +10 critical evasion or if (For example) maybe a bronze lance gives +10 luck?

I feel like the former is more likely.

I also wonder how this will work for magic weapons, particularly their brave weapons...

Also, did Butler and Great Butler (I know it was changed to Great Knight on the post but still) make anyone else think of Hayate the Combat Butler?

I think we have 1/2 to 2/3 of all the info.

My guess is that the Famitsu feature is 4 pages, so it should have a bunch of stuff.

There's also some stuff you can vaguely see from the tiny preview that nobody has found out/leaked. Like the purported female Dark Mage at the top of the second page. Or Sakura's inventory.

I see, thank you very much! Just two more days left, huh, how very exciting.

Me. I wonder if each class of weapon will have its own attributes or whether the other types will just have the same penalties as swords, but with varying buffs/debffs?

In other words, I wonder if all bronze weapons are unable to critical but give a +10 critical evasion or if (For example) maybe a bronze lance gives +10 luck?

I feel like the former is more likely.

I also wonder how this will work for magic weapons, particularly their brave weapons...

Also, did Butler and Great Butler (I know it was changed to Great Knight on the post but still) make anyone else think of Hayate the Combat Butler?

Its worth noting that the iron naginata gives buffs while the normal lance does not.

And Joker's VA played in Black Butler (he was Undertaker, but still.)

You're forgetting the most important one. Archer has made his full transition to being a butler.

I see, thank you very much! Just two more days left, huh, how very exciting.

Actually, we should geta much better loo about noon tomorrow (Japan has a twelve hour time difference with the US east coast).

I like what I'm seeing, but will Archers be good this time around? Now they have a weakness in the weapon triangle, and traditionally they've been one of the worst classes.

I like what I'm seeing, but will Archers be good this time around? Now they have a weakness in the weapon triangle, and traditionally they've been one of the worst classes.

It highly varies. They were solid in the DS games due to design, and rare other times.

I'm more worried for Knights and Generals as they've like. Nearly ALWAYS been bad.

^ i never understood why and how knights and archers are considered bad. They do sometimes require a different strategy by sometimes having to hang back a bit for the knights to catch up or to protect the archers from too many attacks but they do their jobs.

Having to make strategy work for the unit rather than unit work for the strategy says a lot

I mean why hang back for the knights to catch up when you can have your wyvern lords wipe the entire map with the same reliability in the timespan it takes for a knight to catch up

For knights to be actually considered good they should contribute actively to the making of strategies without being completely outclassed rather than reworking strategies to cater to them

Archer is largely dependent on the unit's bases, however; Historically, Snipers have been solid units, having good bases to pull their weight. Virion is a shitty unit because he has no bases. L+ itself as a mode do favor bow-classes, just not certain bow-units.

Edited by Thor Odinson

If enemy reinforcements from behind become more common, I could see knights making a resurgence. And maps with actual choke points.

If enemy reinforcements from behind become more common, I could see knights making a resurgence. And maps with actual choke points.

If they still lack good bases and speed, haha. No

Having to make strategy work for the unit rather than unit work for the strategy says a lot

I mean why hang back for the knights to catch up when you can have your wyvern lords wipe the entire map with the same reliability in the timespan it takes for a knight to catch up

For knights to be actually considered good they should contribute actively to the making of strategies without being completely outclassed rather than reworking strategies to cater to them

Archer is largely dependent on the unit's bases, however; Historically, Snipers have been solid units, having good bases to pull their weight. Virion is a shitty unit because he has no bases. L+ itself as a mode do favor bow-classes, just not certain bow-units.

Pretty much this, Snipers have usually always been solid, Archers just lack good bases in near every game. Like I can only think of like one example of a starting archer not being meh. Thats Ryan.

Edited by Jedi

^ i never understood why and how knights and archers are considered bad. They do sometimes require a different strategy by sometimes having to hang back a bit for the knights to catch up or to protect the archers from too many attacks but they do their jobs.

Ever since they took out weapon weight, Knights have been useless. They didn't rebalance the stats at all to compensate, and as such, knights' speed was just too low. Their attack and defense no longer matter, because they can't ever double against anything.