Classes

NekoKnight

With all the talk of "choosing the right weapon for the situation", there's a good chance IS will bring back weapons like reavers that would allow classes like warriors and tacticians to not be wrecked by double WTD. Especially since the color coding will make it easy to keep track of what beats what.

Axe/Bow and Sword/Tome may rest in the same place on the weapon triangle but that doesn't mean their uses are the same. Bows are shaping up to be the most reliable, ranged physical weapons (and effective vs fliers) so they would still compliment an axe user. The difference between Tomes and Swords is even greater because one deals magic damage and the other physical. There is still cause to have warriors/tacticians.

Although not confirmed, it would appear barbarians were cut (as evidenced by Fighters promoting into what used to be the Barbarian exclusive Berserker class) and with Fighters now (apparently) promoting to Berserkers and Heros, Warrior may be cut as well. There is a possibility a Hoshido themed Warrior will be given to Oni, however. Personally, I think Berserker fits Oni a lot better than it does Fighter but I'm not IS.

Doesn't Oni have higher defense than Barbarians do? Maybe they will be closer to Knights in function.

Something tells me Barbarians will still exist on the Nohr side. Fighters and Barbarians could share Berserker as a promotion this time instead of sharing Warrior. We still need the obligatory earlygame bandit class after all :P

Edit: It would be hilarious if they gave Despoil to enemy Barbarians on higher difficulties. People playing on Casual or Phoenix would get trolled every once in a while by losing 1000G when one of their units is killed by a Barbarian.

Edited by Bovinian

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since bows seem to be some kind of Hoshido thing, maybe Oni promotes into (differently named) Warrior? I'm hoping not though, they have enough bows already.

I'm really hoping Rod Knight doesn't promote into Maid/Butler. Not only would it be incredibly silly for Elise to promote naturally into Maid, I would hate to see another mounted unit lose its mount upon promotion...

Oni are a weird class. High defense, passable strength and speed... Maybe Kanabo will do something to mitigate their poor skill?

It bothers me that Tomes, Bows and Hidden Weapons share the weapon triangle with Swords/Axes/Lances. Now Knights have a weapon triangle advantage over mages... They should have gotten their own triangle. There was value in those ranged weapons not being effected by what the enemy was using. But I'm getting off topic.

Something tells me Barbarians will still exist on the Nohr side. Fighters and Barbarians could share Berserker as a promotion this time instead of sharing Warrior. We still need the obligatory earlygame bandit class after all :P

They could be enemy only.

They could be enemy only.

Sure they could be, but none of the evidence suggests that. Fighters promoting into Berserkers doesn't invalidate the existence of a playable Barbarian class that also promotes into Berserker.

It's likely that Oni will be the earlygame bandits. If I remember correctly there was a picture that showed an earlygame chapter with Oni clansmen. I don't really think the idea that for some reason they'd add more clutter to the classes with a Nohr/enemy bandit very likely. We already have a class that is thematically similar to the axe-wielding, wild brute in the Oni, another isn't needed.

I was going to say that passable strength is understating the Oni's strength, but now the site no longer shows the bases for classes in IF, and I can't really remember what it was. Oni do seem very tanky though, which is interesting. They even have above average resistance (they're no Pegasus Knight, but still).

Reavers could come back, but I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Sadly enough the idea that Oni will become a Warrior like class seems plausible. That's disappointing as I really like the Oni so far, and I was hoping for a fairly unique promotion from them.

^ well it looks like res and magic 1 which is hardly above average, same as the myrmidon im awakening also their strength seems slightly below their defence and a bit above their speed, but still passable seems to undersell it.

It's likely that Oni will be the earlygame bandits. If I remember correctly there was a picture that showed an earlygame chapter with Oni clansmen. I don't really think the idea that for some reason they'd add more clutter to the classes with a Nohr/enemy bandit very likely. We already have a class that is thematically similar to the axe-wielding, wild brute in the Oni, another isn't needed.

The only problem I really have with this is that it's much more likely for the earlygame bandit common to both routes to be a Nohrian class, given what we know of the plot. Nohrian bandits antagonizing Hoshido in the first few chapters could be the introduction to the larger conflict between the two countries like how it was in Awakening with Plegia/Ylisse. Nohrian bandits could just as easily attack the main characters in the beginning of the Nohr route considering how screwed up internally it is supposed to be over there.

I could be wrong, but I can't really imagine Oni from the Hoshido clans antagonizing the Nohrians at the very beginning of the story. Maybe further in, but not early enough to be categorized as earlygame bandits.

......unless this is part of the twist that Hoshido is not as peace-loving as it seems...and Hoshido queen is in denial/trying to cover up things of this nature....hmmmm

Edited by Bovinian

I really want a revamp to the old FE classes, and I think this will be the game to do it.

There's not really much of a reason why every base class can't have two or three unique promotions. I'd personally rather every unit be able to promote to two or three classes that were tailored to them as a character, rather then promote to classes that are just cookie cutter promotions for that base class.

If FEif doesn't do something like that here, then maybe the inevitable WiiU Fire Emblem will.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

I was going to say that passable strength is understating the Oni's strength, but now the site no longer shows the bases for classes in IF, and I can't really remember what it was. Oni do seem very tanky though, which is interesting. They even have above average resistance (they're no Pegasus Knight, but still).

Reavers could come back, but I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Sadly enough the idea that Oni will become a Warrior like class seems plausible. That's disappointing as I really like the Oni so far, and I was hoping for a fairly unique promotion from them.

I'm not sure if the clans are allied with the Hoshido royals but there is definitely a possibility some are not and will be hostile. And they're Oni, ogres! I think they can be raiders if they want to be. In fact, that could be a good conflict considering Sakura has a line about the people of Hoshido all being good natured.

I agree that Oni promoting to Warriors would be rather boring. I won't go as far as to say giving them magic, but there is something mystical or beastial about them. Hopefully they get a brand new class to support this.

^ well it looks like res and magic 1 which is hardly above average, same as the myrmidon im awakening also their strength seems slightly below their defence and a bit above their speed, but still passable seems to undersell it.

I dunno, it's all a bunch of bars on the screen. Hard to tell what they really mean without a comparison to other classes. I thought Vincent put the exact numbers of the Class page but I can't find them anymore.

Sure they could be, but none of the evidence suggests that. Fighters promoting into Berserkers doesn't invalidate the existence of a playable Barbarian class that also promotes into Berserker.

Shrugs, it just seems like an arbitrary swap to make considering Berserkers have always promoted from Brigands/Barbarians/Pirates. It's not like giving Berserkers to Fighters will change them that much.

The only problem I really have with this is that it's much more likely for the earlygame bandit common to both routes to be a Nohrian class, given what we know of the plot. Nohrian bandits antagonizing Hoshido in the first few chapters could be the introduction to the larger conflict between the two countries like how it was in Awakening with Plegia/Ylisse. Nohrian bandits could just as easily attack the main characters in the beginning of the Nohr route considering how screwed up internally it is supposed to be over there.

I could be wrong, but I can't really imagine Oni from the Hoshido clans antagonizing the Nohrians at the very beginning of the story. Maybe further in, but not early enough to be categorized as earlygame bandits.

People have already pointed out that you can also see Nohr classes among the clansmen, so it's likely that these clansmen are the Nohr bandits. They just happen to have Oni for...reasons.

I don't feel like going through this argument again. They have enough magic to wield a magical axe, and more resistance than most tier 1s. Can we agree on that?

I don't really remember what all the values were though. It could be possible that a bit above speed, and below defense is passable. All I remember is their defense was high for a non-Knight class, and their speed was okay. If I remember correctly their strength was above average, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I agree that Oni promoting to Warriors would be rather boring. I won't go as far as to say giving them magic, but there is something mystical or beastial about them. Hopefully they get a brand new class to support this.

I dunno, it's all a bunch of bars on the screen. Hard to tell what they really mean without a comparison to other classes. I thought Vincent put the exact numbers of the Class page but I can't find them anymore.

Shrugs, it just seems like an arbitrary swap to make considering Berserkers have always promoted from Brigands/Barbarians/Pirates. It's not like giving Berserkers to Fighters will change them that much.

Same on the promotion front. I was actually thinking an axe locked class with skills that are mystical would be appropriate. I'd forgotten that the stats came from bars on a screen. Perhaps there is hope for the mystical Oni?

Exactly my thoughts on the whole Fighter>Berserker thing. As my grandfather would say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There has to be something something more to that promotion change.

Exactly my thoughts on the whole Fighter>Berserker thing. As my grandfather would say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There has to be something something more to that promotion change.

I think we all know by now that IS has never heard of this phrase :P I wouldn't look too deep into it, it wouldn't be the first time they arbitrarily choose change things for shits and giggles. Promotion paths in particular have largely been inconsistent.

The only Oni we've seen as far as I know were Hoshido soldiers.

Here are the Oni stats, too:

5C0g3CZ.png

Not sure about bandits returning, we've seen a lot of fighters in those earlygame shots...

Edited by Cysx

The only Oni we've seen as far as I know were Hoshido soldiers.

Here are the Oni stats, too:

5C0g3CZ.png

Not sure about bandits returning, we've seen a lot of fighters in those earlygame shots...

Interesting. If we assume that an Oni's res. and magic is 2 then that skill looks like the Oni might hit once in a while. If it's one though...Oni will be the ruler of misses. Their strength does seem to be above average as I remembered, and that defense is even better than I remember. Does anyone know what stat they have no bonus in? I think it may be luck, but I can't read japanese.

Oh, hey, Priestess. For some reason priestess just doesn't interest me. More staff users are appreciated, but seen one seen them all, I guess.

You may be right. I know I can't find any images for If, so I can't bring it up.

I think we all know by now that IS has never heard of this phrase :P I wouldn't look too deep into it, it wouldn't be the first time they arbitrarily choose change things for shits and giggles. Promotion paths in particular have largely been inconsistent.

Really? Dang, my inexperience is showing again.

Edited by Honey Bunny

It goes:

Strength

Magic

Skill

Speed

Luck

Defense

Res

So she has poor Res, Magic,Skill and no luck. Why are axe users so unlucky?

The poor res. and magic is debatable, and luck may be a rare stat to actually get a bonus in. That would let the Priestess actually excel at something, and I believe Berserker subtracted from Harold's luck.

^ i am 90% sure that the stat is luck.

Also though staff classes are boring, to me the fun part for most classes is their promotions, and sakura seems to have a bow which is interesting to me.

Fair. It'll be interesting to see how the bow+staff combo works out.

Edited by Honey Bunny

It goes:

Strength

Magic

Skill

Speed

Luck

Defense

Res

So she has poor Res, Magic,Skill and no luck. Why are axe users so unlucky?

Return of Devil Axe confirmed

To really drill Harold's gimmick into our heads, I fully expect his recruitment chapter to have him start as an NPC on the other side of the map with nothing but a Devil Axe equipped.

Edited by Bovinian

Oh, hey, Priestess. For some reason priestess just doesn't interest me. More staff users are appreciated, but seen one seen them all, I guess.

Yes, I got lazy and didn't take her out of the image this time around. Let's say it's for comparison's sake.

I don't think her magic and resistance are at 1, because in that case, a stat of 15 would appear maxed out on those.

The image with the Oni can be found in the If section, it's from the first Famitsu issue, one of the last pages if I... well...

asOaziV.jpg

I believe these are 白夜 (Hoshido) soldiers. They're the only enemy Onis we've seen, I think?

Edited by Cysx

Yes, I got lazy and didn't take her out of the image this time around. Let's say it's for comparison's sake.

I don't think her magic and resistance are at 1, because in that case, a stat of 15 would appear maxed out on those.

The image with the Oni can be found in the If section, it's from the first Famitsu issue, one of the last pages if I... well...

asOaziV.jpg

I believe these are 白夜 (Hoshido) soldiers. They're the only enemy Onis we've seen, I think?

If we assume that Oni's res. and magic are two, then we have no precedent for any other class in recent FE. Oni is going to be a very interesting class.

Nope, that's not the image I saw. In fact I think that's the first time I've ever seen that image. The one I saw had a lot more blue in it, and looked kind of snowy to me. Though it could've been a desert at night I guess. Interesting thing to note though, Oni looks like it's going to have a good HP growth. Assuming that Kamui is average of course, if Kamui ends up being above average in that respect then the Oni's health becomes downright phenomenal.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Nope, that's not the image I saw. In fact I think that's the first time I've ever seen that image. The one I saw had a lot more blue in it, and looked kind of snowy to me. Though it could've been a desert at night I guess.

Well then I'd be really interested to see it if you can find it again. Shots of snowy chapters I have don't feature any Oni at all.

I've found this though, which proves that you were right:

v58Pmkr.jpg

Clan soldiers, Oni on the top right. So, my bad:x

Well then I'd be really interested to see it if you can find it again. Shots of snowy chapters I have don't feature any Oni at all.

I've found this though, which proves that you were right:

v58Pmkr.jpg

Clan soldiers, Oni on the top right. So, my bad:x

Dude, I would be really interested in finding it again too. At this point I don't know if I'm just useless with google, or completely insane. Maybe both.

It's cool. Personally I prefer it when people question, and argue. Let's a good conversation get going, and oftentimes helps logical answers come to the surface.

Dude, I would be really interested in finding it again too. At this point I don't know if I'm just useless with google, or completely insane. Maybe both.

It's cool. Personally I prefer it when people question, and argue. Let's a good conversation get going, and oftentimes helps logical answers come to the surface.

I'm pretty sure every known FE if image or video can be found here : P

Actually... The only thing from memory that isn't in there is the brief video of female Kamui in the snow map from the January Nintendo Direct. Maybe that's what you were looking for?

Screencap

I don't recall any Oni there though, just Nohr enemies.

Edited by VincentASM

I'm pretty sure every known FE if image or video can be found here : P

Actually... The only thing from memory that isn't in there is the brief video of female Kamui in the snow map from the January Nintendo Direct. Maybe that's what you were looking for?

Screencap

I don't recall any Oni there though, just Nohr enemies.

Well, looks like I'm crazy then. *sigh of relief* And here I thought I was bad with computers! :D

Yeah, that screencap is what I was looking for. I guess I thought that the Fighter was an Oni at the time, and never put together that that was the Fighter Kamui fought in the trailer. Thanks Vince.

Well I'm almost certain Dark Mage promotes into Dark Knight. My speculation (and fear) is, however, that Revenant Knight is already an equivalent of the Wyvern Lord and already promoted. I hope I'm wrong, though, but most of Nohr's royals give an air of combat experience except for Elise.

Maybe the Nohr sibling are promoted because of the increased difficulty.(perhaps in Nohr it's a steep curve(but that would be weird)) My main issue with them being promoted is the fact that they might be Frederick level useless later in the game. I mean, when I play Nohr , I want to give Leon a permanent spot on my team.