Classes

NekoKnight

Something's been bugging with a bit of speculation. Weapon loadout on the Dread Fighter (yes this topic again). Whole swords/axes/hidden weapons thing gives them complete control over the weapon triangle, but we already have a foot unit with triangle control with the the War Artist*. From what I remember they made a pretty big deal out of it on the War Artist, and made it seem like that was their gimmick. Dread Fighter already has a gimmick though. Two in fact: magic-tank, and super aggressor. While I do think that Dread Fighter will make a comeback, it also kind of needs to be nerfed if it's just going to be a tier 2. So, perhaps the swords won't be coming back to Dread Fighter.

By the way are we absolutely sure that the Oni stat screen was just showing base stats? If not we might be able to Harold's class change screen to get a better read on the actual numbers shown in class screens.

*I really, really hope that the class gets localized as War Artist. That is such a cool name, and so wonderfully Hoshido.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nyx was shown equipping Anima magic.

Back to the topic, I also want to see Magic Wyvern but not sure how that'll work since this type of class tends to have very weak magic.

A magical wyvern class would be a must add for me. I was kind of hoping for a horse riding class that uses Magic and lances

Oni will promote to Dread Fighter (axe, sword, hidden weapon) and Berserker (axe)

Ninja will also promote to Dread Fighter.

I really hope if Dread Fighter comes back they keep it's most recent weapon options. But I agree Dread Fighter seems like a good promotion option for an Oni.

Something's been bugging with a bit of speculation. Weapon loadout on the Dread Fighter (yes this topic again). Whole swords/axes/hidden weapons thing gives them complete control over the weapon triangle, but we already have a foot unit with triangle control with the the War Artist*. From what I remember they made a pretty big deal out of it on the War Artist, and made it seem like that was their gimmick. Dread Fighter already has a gimmick though. Two in fact: magic-tank, and super aggressor. While I do think that Dread Fighter will make a comeback, it also kind of needs to be nerfed if it's just going to be a tier 2. So, perhaps the swords won't be coming back to Dread Fighter.

By the way are we absolutely sure that the Oni stat screen was just showing base stats? If not we might be able to Harold's class change screen to get a better read on the actual numbers shown in class screens.

*I really, really hope that the class gets localized as War Artist. That is such a cool name, and so wonderfully Hoshido.

The blurb below the picture is discussing the class and the class name (not the character name) is above the stats, so I'm pretty sure that's the base stats.

As for Dread Fighters, they don't need to have 3 weapon types, especially it that's overlapping with the War Artist*. Axe for heavy damage and hidden weapons for debuffs would be cool. Mage hunting with hidden weapons and knight stomping with axes.

*who coined this?

Edited by NekoKnight

Forgot about this in my previous post, but I hope "Weapon Master" isn't screwed up. As in, I hope it won't be nerfed into uselessness to overcompensate those 3 weapon types. At the same time, I hope the stats aren't too high so it won't be OP.

Forgot about this in my previous post, but I hope "Weapon Master" isn't screwed up. As in, I hope it won't be nerfed into uselessness to overcompensate those 3 weapon types. At the same time, I hope the stats aren't too high so it won't be OP.

from the stat promotion boosts(+3 hp, +4 atk/def, +1 spd/skl/mov), I guess they're going to be like the Hoshido counterpart of Brave Hero.

But I really like the premise of War Artist/Weapon Master so far, plus they have a pretty neat design. Let's hope their skills not suck.

The blurb below the picture is discussing the class and the class name (not the character name) is above the stats, so I'm pretty sure that's the base stats.

As for Dread Fighters, they don't need to have 3 weapon types, especially it that's overlapping with the War Artist*. Axe for heavy damage and hidden weapons for debuffs would be cool. Mage hunting with hidden weapons and knight stomping with axes.

*who coined this?

Dang, I thought I might have been on to something there.

I remember War Artist being thrown around back when the class was first revealed. Weapon Master was probably the name that popped up once people better with translation popped up.

EDIT: Looked back at the thread I found it in. War Artist was used by one guy, so not exactly thrown around, but it was the only thing anyone referred to the class as before Kirokan's translation. Weapon Master would appear to be the proper name.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Return of Devil Axe confirmed

To really drill Harold's gimmick into our heads, I fully expect his recruitment chapter to have him start as an NPC on the other side of the map with nothing but a Devil Axe equipped.

I both want this and dread it. To really up the difficulty, they can make his recruitment chapter like Severa's where he charges headlong into battle and you need to race ahead as fast as possible so he doesn't fight anyone.

No Rescue Staff, Knights only, Final Destination

We already have Great Knights and those are mounted. I think it will be fine.

Geez... I'll wait for more information to drop, because this class tree is looking funky and convoluted so far.

Also, what's up "Brave Hero"? I feel like that's saying "wet water".

Geez... I'll wait for more information to drop, because this class tree is looking funky and convoluted so far.

How is it funky? It's not really looking anymore convoluted than the Awakening class tree so far. Sure the classes are different, but it's still just a branching class tree.

I've got no clue what's going on with Brave Hero. IS decided Hero needed an adjective, and I guess brave was the one they picked.

IS seems to consider "Brave" and "Hero" as synonymous. Brave weapons are called Hero weapons in Japan, and Ike's Hero class in RD used the usual kanji 勇者 but Katakana-fied it as ブレイブ (brave). So in a way, it really is kinda like saying "wet water" lol.

Do you think hidden weapons will be used by many classes? I worry that they will be overly gimmicky.

For promoted classes, we have Maids/Butlers and whatever 2 classes the Ninja will promote to. If Ninja promote to Maids/Butlers, I'll eat my own shoe.

I still think it's dumb how Thieves are bow locked. Maybe they will promote to Assassin and have Bow/Hidden Weapon?

Do you think hidden weapons will be used by many classes? I worry that they will be overly gimmicky.

For promoted classes, we have Maids/Butlers and whatever 2 classes the Ninja will promote to. If Ninja promote to Maids/Butlers, I'll eat my own shoe.

I still think it's dumb how Thieves are bow locked. Maybe they will promote to Assassin and have Bow/Hidden Weapon?

No.

They announced a new weapon type, so I imagine IS is trying to show it off. I don't think there will be many more hidden weapon users. Maybe there will be, but I'm just not seeing it.

We have one base class that uses hidden weapons, and one promoted class that randomly gains them. Meanwhile axes have the Fighter, and Oni. Swords have Samurai, Cavaliers, and Mercenary. Lances have Cavaliers, Knights, and Lancers. The Great Knight, and General both randomly gain axes, Dark Knight randomly gains swords, and Wyvern Lord randomly gains lances. I'm sure there's a few classes I forgot in there. I don't think we're getting an overflow of hidden weapon users.

I'm thinking that Thives and Ninja promote to Assassin.

Edited by Honey Bunny

In order to drive home the differences between Nohr and Hoshido, all of the Nohr classes use katakana (whether they did before or not) and all of the Hoshido classes use kanji (whether they did before or not). Hero, in previous games, was always written in kanji as 勇者 (lit."brave person"). Now, since it's a Nohr class, it's written in katakana as ブレーブヒーロ (brave hero)。 It should be translated as Hero, as in previous games, but we're having fun with brave hero because it sounds cooler.

We're pretty sure that we can't have cross-promotions between Hoshido and Nohr classes right? So Thieves and Ninjas may both promote into something similar to Assassin, but it won't be the same class.

I'm thinking the Nohrian bow thieves will promote to the usual Assassin (probably with hidden weapons instead of swords), and Hoshidan ninjas will evolve into some assassin-esque Mega Ninjaâ„¢ that might use katana in addition to hidden weapons.

We're pretty sure that we can't have cross-promotions between Hoshido and Nohr classes right? So Thieves and Ninjas may both promote into something similar to Assassin, but it won't be the same class.

I'm thinking the Nohrian bow thieves will promote to the usual Assassin (probably with hidden weapons instead of swords), and Hoshidan ninjas will evolve into some assassin-esque Mega Ninjaâ„¢ that might use katana in addition to hidden weapons.

Do we know if Thieves are a Nohr only class? All that lack of cross nation promotion is cool and everything, but any nation can have Thieves. Thieves are also usually after something in the series (be it candy, or gold) so recruiting one wouldn't be hard on the Hoshido side. Even if they do come from Nohr.

Edited by Honey Bunny

It could be that they share a class but have different models based on faction.

Do we know if Thieves are a Nohr only class? All that lack of cross nation promotion is cool and everything, but any nation can have Thieves. Thieves are also usually after something in the series (be it candy, or gold) so recruiting one wouldn't be hard on the Hoshido side. Even if they do come from Nohr.

We don't, and I remember discussing with someone before that even if thieves were a Nohr-only class, thieves in the FE games generally don't follow a particular liege and just do things based on their own agenda. So we could have the same recruitable thief join your side on either path.

I could suggest that Hoshido might have their own version of Thieves, but then people would say that there is no need for so many different versions of similar classes and it would get too cluttered and blah blah. I think it just isn't too clear at this point whether returning classes are supposed to only exist on either Hoshido or Nohr and not both, or if we're going to get a Hoshido version and a Nohr version of them. If the list of recruitable characters is as different as they suggest it is for the two paths, then it would be weird if I could never recruit a pegasus knight during my entire Nohr playthrough, for example.

We don't, and I remember discussing with someone before that even if thieves were a Nohr-only class, thieves in the FE games generally don't follow a particular liege and just do things based on their own agenda. So we could have the same recruitable thief join your side on either path.

I could suggest that Hoshido might have their own version of Thieves, but then people would say that there is no need for so many different versions of similar classes and it would get too cluttered and blah blah. I think it just isn't too clear at this point whether returning classes are supposed to only exist on either Hoshido or Nohr and not both, or if we're going to get a Hoshido version and a Nohr version of them. If the list of recruitable characters is as different as they suggest it is for the two paths, then it would be weird if I could never recruit a pegasus knight during my entire Nohr playthrough, for example.

Fair.

I personally wouldn't mind if Nohr never got Peg. Warriors, but at this point it's like you said: unclear on what's going where.

It could be that they share a class but have different models based on faction.

That seems like an awful lot of work for something that could be fixed by, say, having Assassin favor Thief visually. Sort of like how Assassin favored Thief over Myrmidon in Awakening.

Well, assassins have existed in both Western and Eastern cultures, right? You are right that 'cross-promotion' would conflict with If's duality theme, but it's plausible that both thieves and ninjas promote to assassins. Perhaps there will be two different forms of an assassin class that would function similarly; one with a Hoshido-like garb and class name, and a Nohrian styled one?

EDIT: Agh, NekoKnight beat me to it...

Edited by Leif

I hope the class selection for each route is adequate. Some classes have obvious parallels like Mercenaries and Samurai but others are more unique. Hoshido seems to be pretty bow-heavy and have little in the ways of mounted units. Nohr gets mounted units and more magic. No wyverns in Hoshido would make me sad.

So far Nohr's unique classes (without any clear parallel) are: Rod Knight, Strategist, Dark Knight, Berserker, Revenant Knight, Bow Knight and Knight (although Oni are similar statwise). Hoshido has Pegasus Warrior, Lancer, Swordmaster and Priestess.

Class parallels likely include:

Mercenary/Samurai, Weaponmaster/Hero, Dark Mage/Spellcaster, Thief/Bowman, Figher/Oni.

That seems like an awful lot of work for something that could be fixed by, say, having Assassin favor Thief visually. Sort of like how Assassin favored Thief over Myrmidon in Awakening.

In Awakening you had Plegian Dark Mages and Chon'sin Swordmasters but other than that, no group had very distinct visual themes. I think designs following a certain theme is more important this time around as you are either a Hoshidan or Nohrian (unless there are other countries). A Hoshidan character naturally promoting to a class that doesn't look Hoshidan might be a little jarring.

Looking at Assassins in Awakening, they share the waist brace and arm blades of Ninja but have the hoods of Thieves. I guess they could go either way.

I hope the class selection for each route is adequate. Some classes have obvious parallels like Mercenaries and Samurai but others are more unique. Hoshido seems to be pretty bow-heavy and have little in the ways of mounted units. Nohr gets mounted units and more magic. No wyverns in Hoshido would make me sad.

So far Nohr's unique classes (without any clear parallel) are: Rod Knight, Strategist, Dark Knight, Berserker, Revenant Knight, Bow Knight and Knight (although Oni are similar statwise). Hoshido has Pegasus Warrior, Lancer, Swordmaster and Priestess.

Mercenary/Samurai, Weaponmaster/Hero, Dark Mage/Spellcaster, Thief/Bowman, Figher/Oni.

In Awakening you had Plegian Dark Mages and Chon'sin Swordmasters but other than that, no group had very distinct visual themes. I think designs following a certain theme is more important this time around as you are either a Hoshidan or Nohrian (unless there are other countries). A Hoshidan character naturally promoting to a class that doesn't look Hoshidan might be a little jarring.

Looking at Assassins in Awakening, they share the waist brace and arm blades of Ninja but have the hoods of Thieves. I guess they could go either way.

Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Knights are usually parallels to each other

As Mysterique pointed out it seems likely that Nohr will get Wyvern Knights, and Lancer is shaping up to be the Hoshidan Knight.

That lack of distinct look per nation is exactly the reason I'm not getting my hopes up for unique Nohr and Hoshido models. It'd be cool if IS put the extra effort in, but they seem to just be trying to focus the culture of each nation in the nation-locked classes. I guess Assassin actually wouldn't need a makeover as a shared Ninja/Thief promotion. Neat.

http://puu.sh/i7cJS/1b8c3c15a8.png

I wonder what this class would be; Looks like Rinka's promotion.

That has a lot more armor than Oni does, so I'd assume that it keeps the high defense going. More than anything though I get the feeling there is something important about that thing on Rinka's back. Does anyone have any clue on what it is? It might lead to a few clues on the promotion itself.

Edited by Honey Bunny