The whole Eastern direction of FE if

Espinosa

Do you enjoy it? I haven't made up my mind whether it'll be something culturally enriching and new or just pave way to bombarding the player with nauseating over-the-top weeaboo cliches. At the very least, it's a change, which is generally good rather than bad.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weeaboo... people keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it does.

This is a game set in pseudo!Japan, made by Japanese people. Weaboos are gonna be weaboos, but that's not the fault of Japanese people depicting their own (fantasy) culture.

I love it. Not only is it a nice change from the usual FE setting but I've always been interested in Japanese culture and Asia in general. I hope future games take inspiration from other real world cultures as well. Personally being latinamerican I would love to see some Amazon/Aztec/Mayan inspired countries and characters.

Weeaboo... people keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it does.

This is a game set in pseudo!Japan, made by Japanese people. Weaboos are gonna be weaboos, but that's not the fault of Japanese people depicting their own (fantasy) culture.

This.

However, as for whether or not I like the Japanese setting? Sure, I enjoy it, and if the worldbuilding is better than in past games, there might be a point to making them so culturally distinct. Still, I can't shake the feeling that they're indirectly celebrating their own culture. I mean, Hoshido is the peaceul, prosperous wonderful nation and Nohr is the poor, chaotic aggressor.

No that such things aren't present in Western games, I'm just not very used to seeing it from Japan.

I like Japanese culture quite a bit and I'm tired of the word weaboo being thrown around. Like can't people enjoy Japanese fantasy just like medieval fantasy without getting an insulting label?

Its quite sickening really. That I like both, but since I prefer Hoshido I get labeled with some negativity because its Japanese. News flash its made by the Japanese. Deal with it.

Er, it's a fantasy world we're talking about.

Sure, there's the cliches here and there, but I see this Eastern route not being a fair change that I like. To some close-minded people, it can give a wider view of Japanese culture. And most FE games have a more medieval setting in Europe. It's nice and hopefully it's not butchered when translated to English...

I will say that Japanese media can sometimes be a bit much. Miyazaki really put it well on some of my feelings toward anime and Japanese games. The fans are making things for fandom, but in such a narrow way, it can be uncomfortable. I think it is easy to confuse for many of us, Japanese Culture and Japanese sub-culture which a lot of these things can sometimes represent.

The incest, the lolicon, the ridiculous fanservice, the voices made over the top "cuteness", and even some of the character tropes are sometimes really uncomfortable to me, as is the otaku sub-culture that created it.

But I do like the Japanese motifs/buildings/historical references/cultural themes.

I think it's a good idea for one game, but I don't like it as a direction for the series. It would involve changing a lot of things that have been the core of the series, which I don't think is a good idea. (For example, entire classes would no longer make sense)

I'm sure I'll want to experience both paths in this game, without any views on the matter keeping me away from one of them.

Anyway, weeaboos wouldn't be what they are without what they are consuming, so it's quite natural (and by no means unprecedented in how language is constantly used) to extend the definition of the term to the object of their consumption and infatuation. Whether it's derogatory or not, I guess depends on the situation, and while it's not that in my view (for a few years, I found a lot of humour bringing up these sort of images 'ironically', but then it got pretty tired) you can't really argue against the fact that it carries a certain, let's say, -cheesy- vibe that plenty of folks would rather not be associated with. By all means one can enjoy it as a guilty pleasure of sorts.

And I really disagree that what FE has become recently or any other peace of otaku product that could warrant the usage of said label (which I would safely ignore without the association to a series of strategy games I've taken a liking to) is the 'product of Japan'. It is just a specific subculture and a specific market.

News flash: Obsessive behavior regarding anything can be off-putting, and I don't know why you're singling out Japanese culture.

That being said, it doesn't bother me at all - I play the game for the gameplay. Unless the aesthetics are awful, it wouldn't affect my opinion of the game.

Uh... yes, I like it? It hadn't occurred to me to judge it based on the cultural origination thereof. I like what I see of Hoshido, therefore I like the direction.

just pave way to bombarding the player with nauseating over-the-top weeaboo cliches

Remember when you bombarded the forum with your crappy Arena threads?

Anyway, I like it. Better than a European theme.

I'm sure I'll want to experience both paths in this game, without any views on the matter keeping me away from one of them.

Anyway, weeaboos wouldn't be what they are without what they are consuming, so it's quite natural (and by no means unprecedented in how language is constantly used) to extend the definition of the term to the object of their consumption and infatuation. Whether it's derogatory or not, I guess depends on the situation, and while it's not that in my view (for a few years, I found a lot of humour bringing up these sort of images 'ironically', but then it got pretty tired) you can't really argue against the fact that it carries a certain, let's say, -cheesy- vibe that plenty of folks would rather not be associated with. By all means one can enjoy it as a guilty pleasure of sorts.

And I really disagree that what FE has become recently or any other peace of otaku product that could warrant the usage of said label (which I would safely ignore without the association to a series of strategy games I've taken a liking to) is the 'product of Japan'. It is just a specific subculture and a specific market.

Yes this is what I tried to say, and you said so much more eloquently. I like another country's outlook and themes and history in their media, but for foreigners, the difference between sub-culture and culture is hard to see but can make a huge difference. And it is okay to see the faults of a sub-culture, without putting it on the entire country.

It's a nice touch, although I'm slightly less pleased with the anime-like tropes and the like. Aesthetically, the Japanese look is kinda cool though.

However, as for whether or not I like the Japanese setting? Sure, I enjoy it, and if the worldbuilding is better than in past games, there might be a point to making them so culturally distinct. Still, I can't shake the feeling that they're indirectly celebrating their own culture. I mean, Hoshido is the peaceul, prosperous wonderful nation and Nohr is the poor, chaotic aggressor.

I want to see Oboro heckling the Nohrians who join on the Hoshido side "Western piggu go home!"

I think it's a good idea for one game, but I don't like it as a direction for the series. It would involve changing a lot of things that have been the core of the series, which I don't think is a good idea. (For example, entire classes would no longer make sense)

I lot of games have had references to other non-western cultures, this game just happens to be the first that is strongly Japan-leaning for one side. Most Hoshido classes revealed so far have had western equivalents so it's not like these classes don't have a place in the series.

This is a game made by Japanese people, for Japanese people, with western fans being secondary. Unless you are suggesting Japanese people can be weeaboos (I'm going to give a pass on Japanese people obsessively using Japanese words), the work itself has no inherit weeaboo properties. If it were made by westerners, for westerners, and fetishized/misrepresented Japan, then you would have a point. Hate the player, not the game.

Are western games pandering to "westerboos"?

I'm fine with the Eastern theme of Hoshido but I wasn't aware that only "weeabos" liked it? As a Korean person I find the Eastern theme more pleasing than Nohr's general Western flair. Soooo ...

I want to see Oboro heckling the Nohrians who join on the Hoshido side "Western piggu go home!"

I lot of games have had references to other non-western cultures, this game just happens to be the first that is strongly Japan-leaning for one side. Most Hoshido classes revealed so far have had western equivalents so it's not like these classes don't have a place in the series.

This is a game made by Japanese people, for Japanese people, with western fans being secondary. Unless you are suggesting Japanese people can be weeaboos (I'm going to give a pass on Japanese people obsessively using Japanese words), the work itself has no inherit weeaboo properties. If it were made by westerners, for westerners, and fetishized/misrepresented Japan, then you would have a point. Hate the player, not the game.

Are western games pandering to "westerboos"?

I think she is saying that "weaboos" like certain things and attaching that title to things they like makes sense. She is looking at it from this side. On the other side is otaku, which is a sub-culture. The idea is Japanese Culture-Awesome! The Otaku sub-culture that also created weaboo sub-culture...eh not so much. This has influences of AnimeOtaku/Weaboo culture, and that can be frustrating, also some people defend some of these elements as "Japanese culture" when that can be a bit of a misnomer?

The Nohr path exists, so I think it is a safe way to get something new in there with something old. I'll wait to see how I enjoy it in the story of the FE14 world before judging which path the series should take.

I'm fine with the Eastern theme of Hoshido but I wasn't aware that only "weeabos" liked it? As a Korean person I find the Eastern theme more pleasing than Nohr's general Western flair. Soooo ...

This was my case too, I had never actually heard anyone call another a "weeabo" for liking it, and have only heard people here saying they have been called "weeabos" for liking it. xD

^ maybe not exactly bieng called weeabo for liking it. But i remember several comments saying that some features are pandering to weeabos. (And i think some also said that only weabos would like the feature) But worded much more rudely than that.

I think it's a really good thing that they've given each side a distinct culture, with its own architecture, its own classes and its own weapons. It not only enriches the game's universe, it also makes the whole 'choosing a side' thing a lot more meaningful. It didn't necessarily have to be a Japanese-ish culture and a western-ish culture, but hey, those are the two cultures the developers probably know best. And it's only logical that they'd look to the cultures they know best as a source of inspiration.

That said, I do agree with what Thane said. I'm not bothered by the fact that one of the two cultures is very Japanese-like, but it's a bit unfortunate that they decided to depict the Japanese side as morally superior to the Western side. Although I suppose there still is a possibility that things will end up looking a bit less black-and-white by the end of the game's story.

Edited by Icy Toast

^ maybe not exactly bieng called weeabo for liking it. But i remember several comments saying that some features are pandering to weeabos. (And i think some also said that only weabos would like the feature) But worded much more rudely than that.

A lot of those comments are made by people who forget or ignore the fact that Japan is the primary audience for these games.

If you live in a Western area with no Japanese people, and the only context you ever hear about things perfectly normal in Japanese culture is from an actual weeaboo who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, then it stands to reason that you would view these things with a certain stigma. Doesn't make their arguments justified though.

For the record, I'm talking about things like hot springs and kitsunes/ninjas/whatever. Rubbing the faces of people you aren't intimate with is weird no matter where you're from.

I think it's a really good thing that they've given each side a distinct culture, with its own architecture, its own classes and its own weapons. It not only enriches the game's universe, it also makes the whole 'choosing a side' thing a lot more meaningful. It didn't necessarily have to be a Japanese-ish culture and a western-ish culture, but hey, those are the two cultures the developers probably know best. And it's only logical that they'd look to the cultures they know best as a source of inspiration.

That said, I do agree with what Thane said. I'm not bothered by the fact that one of the two cultures is very Japanese-like, but it's a bit unfortunate that they decided to depict the Japanese side as morally superior to the Western side. Although I suppose there still is a possibility that things will end up looking a bit less black-and-white by the end of the game's story.

cause no other countries media favours their own country in any way? (Including morally) Geez have you seen some of the stuff in american media for example. Granted some of that is inspired by older media (cold war era world war II ect) but it is still there and not all cultures follow the same paths or at the same rate. Edited by goodperson707