Why Luna looks so much like Severa.

BlueLore

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. Just lazy design. It happens. Maybe they need to change up designers next time around (or hire more to help him out if they keep him)

So lazy they hired the same voice actress too.

Lmao at being told people who like Severa like her superficially (because of her looks), while also apparently judging her personality superficially. Thanks for the laugh.

uh not to start a fight or anything but I've seen her supports and I know why she's like that but it's really not an excuse to be an ass to other people imo. and not everyone likes her just because of appearance since some people can relate to her in some ways but let's not act like a lot of people don't just like her bc shes smoking hot. it wasn't supposed to be a call-out for people who like Severa lol.

I actually see Nyx's design sharing some resemblance to Tharja, as well as Hinoka to Cordelia.

Now that you mentioned it, I can tell that Marx's face is similar to Chrom's, Elise's to Lissa's...

...am I the only one noticing this?

kinda think you are lol, the artist is making a whole lot of characters so there's no doubt that there's going to be some minor overlap in something small like faces. Nyx and Tharja are both Dark Mages so they have similar outifts and the same hair color but that's the extent of it. and tbh I only see the resemblance in Marx's face lol

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a character that kinda looks like Severa, but Luna literally looks like Severa with a new outfit. (And them sharing VAs is really suspicious...)

In the case of the VA, if is only the second FE game to include voice acting at all. It wouldn't be a far shot for them to call up her VA just to give that extra, "Oh hey, she reminds me of Severa" push. Or even, they knew she could give a voice to best fit Luna because she did Severa. When they've previously done this, VAs never were a factor.

I keep seeing this argument, but A) just because it's done often doesn't mean it's good world building, and B) a lot of the examples in FE people cite are either characters who are literally the same person, like Camus, or characters whose resemblance to past characters isn't as exact and immediate as Luna.

Furthermore, if they're trying to appeal to Severa fans they're failing completely in my case. An expy doesn't appeal to me, it does the opposite. Especially when it's the same franchise, they own the rights to the character, and it would be so easy for Severa or her younger self to enter the events of this game.

Okay, I will admit you have good points, that second point especially. But if we truly believe the Outrealms becoming a huge part of any character-that-isn't-DLC-related's backstory would be "good" world building, then there is a problem. Outrealms were literally made so that the developers could toss in things they'd otherwise have no reason/explanation for.

Look at how the Outrealm was used in Awakening. Optional DLC characters, optional DLC Chapters... The thing itself is only mentioned in said optional DLC character's endings. Priam is the only one that doesn't seem second rate/after-thought like, and even then they handled him badly. This game has been stated to be completely new, and while some may try to argue otherwise, it is meant to stand alone. If I recall, Awakening's press and such included info about "Marth", Lucina's alias as the masked swordsman which immediately told you that this world is connected to that one. It was also never stated that Awakening was in a new world, quite the contrary in fact. So when it is outright stated, should we not take them at their word?

Then we have Severa herself. If it was her younger self, why is her personality so similar to her older one? If her parents were around, then her having the same kind of complex is... a bit out there. I could also argue that older!Severa's ending says she goes back to yell at her parents every so often for old times sake, meaning her going to some far away land with a possibility of not being able to return is a contradiction with previously established canon. And even then, why serve Camilla? Why would she spend her entire life fighting, want peace, and then go back to war in another world of her own volition?

As far as it not appealing to you, no offense, I'm afraid that falls under a, "can't please 'em all", moment. Including Severa/her younger self, in my opinion, more of comes down to how many holes the development wants to dig plot wise, when they said their mission this game was to deliver a stronger plot. As a Severa fan myself(best daughter<3), just a simple acknowledgment of her character's popularity in the form of a look alike would give me a smile while not tossing away the strong plot they've seemingly made for the sake of Outrealm BS. Regardless, the actual answer would have to wait until the game's release.

I didn't mean the game characters, but the fandom in general. At the time I played Gaiden, I don't remember Camus being Zekke being something known by the western fans. At the very least, I didn't know about it and only learned about it fairly recently, comparatively.

Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding lol

Then we have Severa herself. If it was her younger self, why is her personality so similar to her older one? If her parents were around, then her having the same kind of complex is... a bit out there.

She wouldn't grow up in the shadow of someone who wasn't around anymore, but she'd grow up in the shadow of someone known for participating in the war that led to the defeat of the legendary dragon and saved the world. She could never really compare to that during peace times. Also, besides Cordelia, she'd also be compared to future Severa herself, who could easily replace Cordelia as the "absent figure that's said to be better than her". In fact, that reasoning could lead her being involved with Norh just in search for a chance to prove herself.

Anyway, like mentioned above, it's not just Severa, we likely have similar characters taking after Inigo and Owain. If it's just an homage, why only the popular children? Severa is far behind quite a few 1st gen girls in the official popularity polls.

Besides, if they did went with a route like that, I'd guess they'd leave things fairly vague and easy to understand even without playing Awakening. Rather than outright mentioning that there's a future version of herself around, she'd probably just reference an "older sister", which would leave things fairly easy to get even without knowing anything about Awakening.

I guess there's still a chance that the other two characters aren't that close to Inigo and Owain in spite of seemingly reusing their sprites though, so in that case, if it's just Severa, it could be some kind of homage - although I really wouldn't compare it to any of FE's other expy characters.

Edited by NeonZ

Okay, I will admit you have good points, that second point especially. But if we truly believe the Outrealms becoming a huge part of any character-that-isn't-DLC-related's backstory would be "good" world building, then there is a problem. Outrealms were literally made so that the developers could toss in things they'd otherwise have no reason/explanation for.

I agree, Outrealms aren't my favorite explanation for Luna for this reason. I'd prefer they stay as a DLC thing.

This game has been stated to be completely new, and while some may try to argue otherwise, it is meant to stand alone. If I recall, Awakening's press and such included info about "Marth", Lucina's alias as the masked swordsman which immediately told you that this world is connected to that one. It was also never stated that Awakening was in a new world, quite the contrary in fact. So when it is outright stated, should we not take them at their word?

I think Vincent stated that "new world" interview might have just been PR-speak. I've definitely seen new Pokemon games described with "a new world to explore", but they don't mean it literally, because generally all those games take place on the same fictional planet. But game devs speak this way, because they want to assure players they won't be recycling the same maps and areas again, aka the "game world" in practice but not in lore.

Anyway, I was fine with IF being in a separate universe, but if they're going to bring in conspicuous Awakening characters, I'd rather it be on a different continent in the same world. That still allows for an almost totally separate story.

Then we have Severa herself. If it was her younger self, why is her personality so similar to her older one? If her parents were around, then her having the same kind of complex is... a bit out there.

To be fair, we don't know much about Luna's personality yet, except that she's frowny and competitive. I'm thinking she'll be less bitter about her mom this time around.

Why are people so convinced that A) This is some giant conspiracy connecting If and Awakening and that B) This is a bad thing?

Are people just looking for things to be mad about at this point?

Are people just looking for things to be mad about at this point?

You've never seen this fanbase before, have you, right?

I don't know, it just seems rather strange after they've said this is a whole new different thing.

Edited by Tryhard

I think it's important to NOT take the "new world" comment too literally, at its simplest it would just mean a continent not seen previously.

These are the three scenarios I can think for her at this time.

1. Luna is simply a homage to Severa, nothing more
  2. The developers seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from the Famicom games, so perhaps Luna is to Severa as Zeke was to Camus

This is pretty much what I think about the whole thing. Who knows maybe they will pull another Camus though.

All this debate over who Luna is makes me sick.

I can't wait for Nintendo to finally release the game, and we can get some insight on who Luna is (her background). I still hope it's Severa.

I hope Nintendo addresses this, because it clearly causes massive, massive discussions on it.

To be fair, we don't know much about Luna's personality yet, except that she's frowny and competitive. I'm thinking she'll be less bitter about her mom this time around.

Maybe if now that Cordelia is around to grow up with her (assuming that this is Severa, and the peaceful version of the future), rather than being bitter about her mother, she grows up to be like her.

Luna's (translated) bio on the SF site:

Hates to lose and isn't satisfied until she's the best at everything.

I mean sure, I don't know what losing may have to do about Cordelia, but clearly Luna is trying to be "perfect", like her mother.

If Luna turns out to be Severa then we'll never find out who her father is.

Her father is not!Chrom.

I made something you might want to take a look at:

http://postimg.org/image/nbk75b9fp/full/

When Donnel promotes to mercenary, he can use a sword...just like Hinata! I think we may be on to something here!

Also this:

http://postimg.org/image/irvux9v57/full

EDIT:

and this (it is not stated in the wiki as you can see yourself...):

http://postimg.org/image/d97nfmdft/full

EDIT 2:

It just keeps comming as I keep digging:

http://postimg.org/image/4tn0wo7vv/full/

Camilla and Morgan have the same voice actor as well, but I they don't look similar, at least to me...

Edited by Lee

Honestly, I don't know why there is so much discussion about it. Luna is an expy of Severa. Fire Emblem does this sort of thing often. Severa was a general favorite, and has an elevated status due to being a child character. The if developers are just giving a nod to Severa fans, just as they apparently have with Inigo fans.

Uhm when did they ever do this?

The only times where something like this happened that i know of are the one with Devdan and Danved(which was an ingame joke in the game),Camus&Zeke(who are the same character with a justified reason in the story) and this bandit duo where everyone assumes they are gay(which is more like a running gag for the series).

I start seeing connections everywhere, help I might as well gone crazy.

Compare Maribelle and Elise:

Curly noodle tails - check

Same hair and eye colour - check

staff wielders - check

ear rings (same colour) - check

hairbows - check

clothes are of pink, white and black colour - check

The only times where something like this happened that i know of are the one with Devdan and Danved(which was an ingame joke in the game),Camus&Zeke(who are the same character with a justified reason in the story) and this bandit duo where everyone assumes they are gay(which is more like a running gag for the series).

Archetypes?

Granted, this would be a much less subtle one, but sure

Edited by Lord HK

There are characters like the serious long haired myrmidons and red/green cavalier duos, also, half(maybe more?) of the cast of Biding Blade to Shadow Dragon's. Luna seems closer to Severa that any of those expies to their original base though.

Edited by NeonZ