Why Luna looks so much like Severa.

BlueLore

I sound like a broken record as I keep saying this, but I think it's just a reference to Severa that'll get a nod or two and that'll be it. We've had plenty of characters in other FEs that are meant to invoke the memory of a character from a previous FE (ie: Cordelia for Catria, half the cast of FE7 for characters from FE4, etc.)

But it has never been this blatant. Luna and Severa share the same VA, class, hairstyle, hair color is pretty much the same, and Luna even has Severa's SCOWL down. Outrealms to me is a better alternative than what I fear would result if Luna isn't Severa: a Devdan/Danved gimmick.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly just think it's a nice easter egg for people who played Awakening. i personally HATE Severa, she's vile and selfish but i guess because of her appearance she was decently popular with fans. besides, we saw that Lucina and Robin keep their portraits from Awakening since its the same style so I don't know why they'd make a new one for Severa, even one that slightly changes her appearance. if you look at the Japanese eShop screenshots you'll see Inigo seems to have a sort of clone too.

As long as their personalities are different, I'll remain sane. However by the looks of it, she might literally be a clone of Severa.

I honestly just think it's a nice easter egg for people who played Awakening. i personally HATE Severa, she's vile and selfish but i guess because of her appearance she was decently popular with fans. besides, we saw that Lucina and Robin keep their portraits from Awakening since its the same style so I don't know why they'd make a new one for Severa, even one that slightly changes her appearance. if you look at the Japanese eShop screenshots you'll see Inigo seems to have a sort of clone too.

Lmao at being told people who like Severa like her superficially (because of her looks), while also apparently judging her personality superficially. Thanks for the laugh.

I think it's important to NOT take the "new world" comment too literally, at its simplest it would just mean a continent not seen previously.

These are the three scenarios I can think for her at this time.

1. Luna is simply a homage to Severa, nothing more
  2. The developers seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from the Famicom games, so perhaps Luna is to Severa as Zeke was to Camus
  3. Like the OP said this is just Severa who was raised in a peaceful world and given a different name

I think it's important to NOT take the "new world" comment too literally, at its simplest it would just mean a continent not seen previously.

These are the three scenarios I can think for her at this time.

1. Luna is simply a homage to Severa, nothing more
  2. The developers seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from the Famicom games, so perhaps Luna is to Severa as Zeke was to Camus
  3. Like the OP said this is just Severa who was raised in a peaceful world and given a different name

This. New World to the Japanese doesn't always translate as a different world. Look at the Japanese audio tracks of the Ar Tonelico games, specifically the second one. There are constant references as the continent/country of Metafalss being a "world" (sekai) and NIS translated it literally, when in reality it's just another floating country connected to a tower on the planet of Ar Ciel and is about a decent amount of Kilostons away from Sol Ciel and Sol Cluster which are the other two continents/countries remaining on the planet until the true end for the third Ar Tonelico game happens. Granted though, the precedent here for FE is much different than AT, but then again Awakening brought it all into one single multiverse through the idea of the outrealms.

So far, it seems that these characters are all based on the 2 most popular children of each gender, besides Lucina, and are all fighting for Nohr. I think that's too specific for this to be just a design reference. Previously, when we got characters referencing previous ones, they were never limited to such arbitrary group, nor that close to their original base.

If they were just meant to be Awakening references, why wouldn't they go for the actual most popular characters, like Tharja and Cordelia? Yes, there's a new scantly clad dark mage, but she's clearly a character of her own, differently from Luna and Severa. Also, Severa is only the 10th in popularity once you add the 1st generation women. So, they specifically went for the "popular children" rather than "popular characters" in general.

Edited by NeonZ

All I know is if Amiibo!Lucina does not have some kind of head nod referencing these characters' similarities SOMEWHERE, ANYWHERE in the game (even in DLC!) I will be majorly disappointed.

Example: Lucina and Luna meet in the If version of Barracks:
Lucina: "Hey, you look similar to someone I know." Taken straight from Luna's dialogue, Zing!

But it has never been this blatant. Luna and Severa share the same VA, class, hairstyle, hair color is pretty much the same, and Luna even has Severa's SCOWL down. Outrealms to me is a better alternative than what I fear would result if Luna isn't Severa: a Devdan/Danved gimmick.

Well, FE never really had voice acting before (outside of cutscenes in PoR and RD) so that's a moot point. Also, take a look at this.

Johan, a character from FE4's second gen: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100803021724/fireemblem/images/4/43/Johan.PNG

Sain, a character from FE7: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/b/ba/Sain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080405154430

Differences in art style and clothing aside, they look the exact same. They're also both mounted units who are wannabe lady killers with a dramatic flair and an affinity for romantic chivalry.

Edited by The Geek

Well, FE never really had voice acting before (outside of cutscenes in PoR and RD) so that's a moot point. Also, take a look at this.

Johan, a character from FE4's second gen: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100803021724/fireemblem/images/4/43/Johan.PNG

Sain, a character from FE7: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/b/ba/Sain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080405154430

Differences in art style and clothing aside, they look the exact same. They're also both mounted units who are wannabe lady killers with a dramatic flair and an affinity for romantic chivalry.

Johan and Sain at least a different hairstyle on account of Sain's hair being spikier. Not to mention they don't share the exact same facial expression Severa and Luna do.

And again, you don't need to go that far for a reference to include the same VA and same general armor design (shield/shoulder guard thing).

If they were just meant to be Awakening references, why wouldn't they go for the actual most popular characters, like Tharja and Cordelia? Yes, there's a new scantly clad dark mage, but she's clearly a character of her own, differently from Luna and Severa. Also, Severa is only the 10th in popularity once you add the 1st generation women. So, they specifically went for the "popular children" rather than "popular characters" in general.

I actually see Nyx's design sharing some resemblance to Tharja, as well as Hinoka to Cordelia.

Now that you mentioned it, I can tell that Marx's face is similar to Chrom's, Elise's to Lissa's...

...am I the only one noticing this?

Edited by Leif

^^ he hair in Fe 4 was pretty much limited to a few styles. And the arm guard is probably just the design for mercenaries in this game based off of awakenings mercenary design not Severa's. And as said those games did not have voice acting. I myself thinks that she could very well be the same person. But that doesn't make your points valid.

^ i don't see the faces you mentioned as the same. Nyx and tharja have similar colours and gold accents But that seems to work really well with the dark mage look. All i see between hinoka and Cordelia is hair colour.

Edited by goodperson707

Like someone said, we probably will never get a straight confirmation/denial from the game or IS and it'll be again left to the fans with their head-canons.

^Don't think that really matters much considering how "economic" the voice acting was back then.

I was referring to the both the English and Japanese versions. Nintendo have been using the same Japanese actor for Marth since the 90's anime, so if they wanted Ike's actor to reprise his role for Priam it should have been fairly easy.

I don't mean to sound out of the loop, but who is this Inigo look-a-like, that everyone brings up. I honestly have not found someone that looked remotely like him.

He appears in a screenshot on the E-shop for the FE14 pre-download. You can also see his battle sprite in an early Nohr screenshot.

Edited by NekoKnight

I don't know, I really prefer there's an in-universe explanation for these characters, rather than it being wink-wink "why does this character look and act exactly like that other character? What a coincidence!"

Those slots could be used for totally new characters, or they could be used to expand existing characters. It's weird to do neither. I especially like including 2nd gen post-Awakening kids, because they wouldn't be exactly like their Awakening versions. Maybe Luna has fewer mother issues because Cordelia didn't "abandon" her in the good timeline. Maybe not-Inigo is less of a womanizer because Olivia didn't pressure him as hard. Owain is a Dark Mage now, why? Answering that is way more interesting than learning about some random guy who just happens to look like Owain.

Edited by Lynsanity

I don't know, I really prefer there's an in-universe explanation for these characters, rather than it being wink-wink "why does this character look and act exactly like that other character? What a coincidence!"

I agree that just having them have absolutely no relation to Severa is probably the worst possible route the could ever take. I agree that it would be interesting to explore the children from the good future, it would even make sense if they had different names, Cordelia already knew a severa, one she treated like a daughter, why would she give her actual child the same name?

Owain is a Dark Mage now, why?

tbf, he could be reclassed which could mean that henry or Libra is owain's canon dad especially since we haven't seen what his sprite is wearing.

Where's Lucina?

it wasn't that long ago that we were all talking about how similar the dancer looked to lucina

calling her dancina etc before we learned the name aqua

Hopefully it's not time-travel, world-travel, or whatever kind of such bullcrap. Not even a reincarnation.

If Nohr is supposed to be the 'dark' side, and if Luna, Odin and look-like-Inigo have their (very shitty) personality from FEA, why would they join Nohr ? Crap, why would Norh even want them in the first place ? And don't tell me it's because they don't have many solders, it's wrong, they have a TON of soldiers.

Either it's just a nod for the fans which I'm fine, even though they will probably have their crappy personality... Or we have a multiverse crap going on, this last one doesn't cast a good light on the story.

I actually see Nyx's design sharing some resemblance to Tharja, as well as Hinoka to Cordelia.

Now that you mentioned it, I can tell that Marx's face is similar to Chrom's, Elise's to Lissa's...

...am I the only one noticing this?

You don't appear to be familiar with the concept of Same Face or Only 6 Faces.