English Name Thread!

Anacybele

I just find it funny how people act like this is the first time something like this has happened. There are so many different cases of name changes throughout the Fire Emblem series, some minor and some major, I just think it's a case of people disliking change honestly. I mean once this game is finally out in the US and has been out for about a week, maybe less, I highly doubt anyone here will still be referring to them by their 'original' name. (Maybe like a handful of people but that's about it)

Agreed, I wish there was a like button lol.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maximus is cheesy lol. Also, I don't want a boring-looking character like Xander to share his name with the horse from Tangled. :P

That horse was the best thing about Tangled :P:

Suzukaze to Kaze elicits a groan from me, but it's understandable. Us silly Westerners being unable to pronounce Japanese names. (Makes me fear for several other characters, though...) Rinka to Rinkah is just... stupid. Like, why? Dammit, this is the one that I'm irrationally upset over.

Marx to Xander is weird. I vastly prefer Marx, but I'm willing to give Xander a pass if it's anything like the Liz to Lissa for Awakening in that it has to do with matching up with lips in cutscenes. Given how major a character he is, this seems likely. Leon to Leo is meh. Again, I prefer the former, but whatever. Ryouma to Ryoma is... slightly irking. It's so minor, since the names are technically the "same", but... blah.

Primarily, I have a great fear for the future of the Hoshidan character names.

I guess the developers felt that Suzukaze would be shortened to Suzie or something? Meh, I don't care for it that much, either. As for Rinka, I think the extra "h" is there for pronunciation's sake. A certain "Shiki Tohno" has this quirk, as well.

And I, too, share your fear of what will happen to Hoshido. The last thing I want is Fire Emblem: Fates, as dubbed by 4Kids.

Wasn't Leon a potential communism reference? ; )

Leon is a perfectly legitimate boy's name!

Well, eventually i'll get used to that "Xander", it isn't a bad name, but i hope they will not go apeshit again while naming the rest of the Nohrian cast.

I hope they keep their sanity when renaming the rest of the cast, full stop! I think I'd lose my temper if I saw Tsukuyomi localized as Ted or something.

Remember how much people complained about Cordelia's name change? And now no one even remember's what it was

I don't think I was bent that far out of shape with Tiamo/Cordelia.

TIAMOOOOOOO

I have a better reference about name complaints to those who have been in this community long enough to remember it.

"Vergil".

Banned :P:

Sorry if I sound sound rude but if something like that is such a pointless change then why bother complaining about it? that makes it even more unnecessary and no value or discussion is added.

I understand the sentiment, don't worry.

However, Japanese pronounced with a thick Western accent is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me. If there's a dual audio option, it'll be fine. If not. . .I play the game on mute. Regardless, I'm not a fan of changing names for the sake of changing them. I'm also not a fan of trying to be different by giving your kid some common name with a ridiculous spelling. . .but different strokes for different folks. I'll probably called green-haired and sexy Suzukaze until I get lazy, though.

---

So, with that being said. . .I'm not really happy with all of the name changes. I'm glad they kept some of the Hoshido names as-is! I hope and pray that the rest of the Hoshido cast will come out with names that are more-or-less the same than their Japanese counterparts. . .but after seeing what happened to Marx, of all people. . .I'm not so confident.

Admittedly, I had some trouble keeping Suzukaze and Kazahana separate in my head, along with Tsubaki, Takumi and Tsukuyomi, and Sakura, Hinoka and Hinata. Just not enough time looking at Japanese names, I guess, especially when they're not gendered in the same way western names are.

Localization will probably be trying to keep the Hoshido names memorable and distinct from each other, which is less severe than thinking "westerners can't read this!" Thus I like a change like Kaze, which is derived from the original but easier to remember.

The changes I don't understand are to Nohr characters like Marx and Leon, which were already short, west-friendly, and distinct from each other. Outside of maybe cutscene lip-sync, there's really no reason for it.

In regards to any complaints about people who don't want/like the changes, I personally like to keep them close to the original as possible. There is intention to the original writing. I do realize some changes have to be made because of cultural differences--but I still have my preferences. I still like Suzukaze > Kaze (as a full name), Leon > Leo(nardo), Marx > Xander. And even if the game was localized first before info about the original Japanese was released, I can still have preference over if I would have liked the Japanese more.

The changes I don't understand are to Nohr characters like Marx and Leon, which were already short, west-friendly, and distinct from each other. Outside of maybe cutscene lip-sync, there's really no reason for it.

There is speculation that they were changed because of Communism references.

Also...

However, Japanese pronounced with a thick Western accent is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me. If there's a dual audio option, it'll be fine. If not. . .I play the game on mute. Regardless, I'm not a fan of changing names for the sake of changing them. I'm also not a fan of trying to be different by giving your kid some common name with a ridiculous spelling. . .but different strokes for different folks. I'll probably called green-haired and sexy Suzukaze until I get lazy, though.

---

So, with that being said. . .I'm not really happy with all of the name changes. I'm glad they kept some of the Hoshido names as-is! I hope and pray that the rest of the Hoshido cast will come out with names that are more-or-less the same than their Japanese counterparts. . .but after seeing what happened to Marx, of all people. . .I'm not so confident.

I will not play on mute but I will cringe. Otherwise, I agree with this.

Probably cutscene pronunciation. Isn't his Japanese name pronounced as two syllables? It would make sense in that regard; it's not like there's an easy way out, like Liz/Lissa.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

I would've been surprised if they hadn't changed Marx' name. Xander is quite different from the original, I would've expected and preferred some slight variation like Marc or Markus. But I'll probably get used to it eventually.

On the other hand I'm glad to see that they kept the japanese names for most other Nohr characters. The english names for the Hoshidans are alright as well, since the changes are mostly for easier pronunciation.

The only thing that bothers me is the castles name. Krakenburg? A term with german origin seems pretty off in an italian/roman inspired country, but that might just be me and my german mother tongue.

Nearly everybody here complaining about name changings like Leon-->Leo, Marx-->Xander, while my biggest complaint by far is the name of the game itself "Fire Emblem Fates". I can vaguely understand why they chose it, but for me it will always stay Fire Emblem if.

Leo also sounds more like a commoner (nick)name. Leon at least feels more complete and royal.

The Rinkah and Ryoma name changes seems more appropriate for English since 'o' works for the 'oh' sound already without the extra 'u' and the silent 'h' is common place after vowels.

Weird, I felt the exact opposite.

Leo seems more "regal" (fitting of someone who may later be a king), while Leon is a pretty common name. (like, it's a name a commoner could have)

I actually prefer it.

(Though having Leon In Fire Emblem Destiny Fates would have been really cool)

Xander... That's a weird change. Will take some time to get used to it, that's sure. Seems like a namee of a charatcer i a low sci-fi story, somehow...

Corrin... Sounds close to Kor Meteor.

As a unisex name, it kinda works (though they missed the opportunity of naming him Alex once again...)

EDIT : Kaze reminded me of this music (and Sketchbook full colorS OP).

(Suzu)Kaze being Masaki Andoh's ancestor is now my headcannon.

Edited by Tamanoir

Probably cutscene pronunciation. Isn't his Japanese name pronounced as two syllables? It would make sense in that regard; it's not like there's an easy way out, like Liz/Lissa.

マークス (Ma--kusu) so three.

It would have to depend on how they animated lips with regards to his name. Just judging from how I'm pronouncing the name, the lip motions for kusu are similar enough that they might animate it as one syllable. They're probably saying the kusu quick enough as well.

I think Joker is now Jacob! Thank you for a better name, NoA. Although, a lot would've been better than Joker.

The lady playing Fates said the female Kamui will have Jacob rather than Felicia as her helper, and that's gotta be Joker.

Yeah just saw that too. Though that's an odd change to me, English versions of Japanese media used the name Cyrus before (a Yu-Gi-Oh character, major one at that). Oh well, Silas isn't a bad name.

EDIT: What's-his-face Elise's retainer is now Arthur. And Elfie is Effie. That one's weird...

Edited by Anacybele

I wonder what the official English names are for the Japanese version. Like for awakening I see people say Gaius's name was Gaia, but the art book says its "Guire". Make me wonder how many are wrong.

Heh. Reminds me of the whole "Bills/Beers" thing with DBZ

I think Joker is now Jacob! Thank you for a better name, NoA. Although, a lot would've been better than Joker.

The lady playing Fates said the female Kamui will have Jacob rather than Felicia as her helper, and that's gotta be Joker.

It's of small significance, but his name did appear in Felicia's dialogue. It's Jakob, with a "k". Still a more appropriate name than Joker.

Oh, okay. Haha oops. I'm used to Jacob being spelled with a C, didn't know it could have a K. :P

EDIT: Ah, thanks, I somehow missed that whole bit. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I wonder what the official English names are for the Japanese version. Like for awakening I see people say Gaius's name was Gaia, but the art book says its "Guire". Make me wonder how many are wrong.

Heh. Reminds me of the whole "Bills/Beers" thing with DBZ

The Hoshido names are going to be really hard to get wrong, but the Nohr names could vary slightly.

Obvious one is probably Cyrus = Silas.

We'll find out in a week, hopefully ^^

Why did they have to change Joker's name? Nohr obviously has a cardgame motif going on. Really, I thought their names would be safe, at least.

And what exactly happened to Harold?

EDIT: NVM. Saw Arthur.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

I think the only name change I'm sort of iffy on is "Effie", and that's only because that sounds like something I say when I don't feel like using the f-word. Otherwise, I am cool with all of the name changes. Even Xander. And Corrin (if that really is a thing).