All hopes lost for S-rank supports?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Are you freaking kidding me.

...Are you... freaking... kidding... me.

Are you. FREAKING. KIDDING ME.

Why? Why? Just... why? There's no purpose other then to be pointless fanservice and pandering.

I thought they'd cut the waifu nonsense.

Guess it's time to get a decent computer and start emulating.

...Are you freaking kidding me.

...Are you... freaking... kidding... me.

Are you. FREAKING. KIDDING ME.

Why? Why? Just... why? There's no purpose other then to be pointless fanservice and pandering.

I thought they'd cut the waifu nonsense.

Guess it's time to get a decent computer and start emulating.

It might help your outlook a little if you thought of S-supports as not "waifu nonsense" and instead as a more efficient way to get support conversations and boosts associated with it. While I don't particularly care for the "waifu" thing myself, romantic endings have been a part of FE support system since FE6, but the C-B-A system limited you to only five support conversations, and you'd miss a lot of interesting support conversations on a given playthrough because of this limitation.

S-supports indicating a paired ending would allow characters to get more supports and support conversations in a given playthrough, which could give you better insight into their character without having to go through like a million playthroughs to do so.

Edited by Sunwoo

It might help your outlook a little if you thought of S-supports as not "waifu nonsense" and instead as a more efficient way to get support conversations and boosts associated with it. While I don't particularly care for the "waifu" thing myself, romantic endings have been a part of FE support system since FE6, but the C-B-A system limited you to only five support conversations, and you'd miss a lot of interesting support conversations on a given playthrough because of this limitation.

S-supports indicating a paired ending would allow characters to get more supports and support conversations in a given playthrough, which could give you better insight into their character without having to go through like a million playthroughs to do so.

Knee-jerk reaction due to wording was knee-jerk.

I hope it's just like that. Though why would they put marriage on the cover if it was like that?

And I know about how the support system in previous games work. I also knew that few people liked the limit, and I was just expecting them to cut the limit.

I just really have little faith in IntSys.

As long as we have no time-travelling children hijinks I'm okay with S supports coming back. First because in GBA games when you only had up to 1 A and 1 B max, that meant that you sometimes had to choose between better positioning or support bonuses, while with everyone being able to at least A support you can position however you want and still be able to get support bonuses if you were close enough together. (Which, granted, was nerfed from 3-range to 1 range afaik due to the fact that you could have supports built with everyone.)

Meanwhile S supports means you'll get a slightly better buff from one specific character, alongside of getting an ending thrown in for good measure. I don't see it too much as waifu pandering (since, as long as you can't S rank the Nohr kids, the two biggest waifu archetypes are in that group) but the fact that romance has been in the FE games since FE1, a game that didn't even have supports, with Marth and Caeda. While the player did not have a character to romance any of the other characters until FE12, it's a logical conclusion to let the player character also have the option of romance.

Thinking about it, if we're getting some kind of marriage system again, rather than just romantic supports, doesn't that imply a 2nd generation? Even Awakening often had the 2nd generation supports ending without marriage (in the dialogue, the status screen still said they were married) since they only have children with the avatar.

Edit: On the other hand, it could be just tied to some My Castle stuff we didn't see yet. Maybe there's a ceremonial building and things like that.

Edited by NeonZ

I hope it's just like that. Though why would they put marriage on the cover if it was like that?

And I know about how the support system in previous games work. I also knew that few people liked the limit, and I was just expecting them to cut the limit.

Well, to be honest, whether it's an aspect you personally enjoy or not - and I intend no offense - it is one of the things that saved the series. Taking it away would make too many people angry.

I like romancing characters to deepen my own immersion, but I agree it's been blown out of proportion. In this game, it most likely will have an even smaller impact than in Awakening, so it probably won't be shoved down your throat as much.

I've never put any stock in the waifu crap personally, but I loved S-Supports because of how much they opened up the Support system in general and being able to get A Supports with the other characters without the limitations of earlier games, so S Supports returning gets a gold star stamp from me.

Well, the marriage system was part of what made Awakening popular, right? I assume that they're stressing "marriage" so that the people who are expecting marriage won't be all "oh, no marriage, no buy". Looking at some of the people's stances on S-supports and marriage here, I'd say … quite a few people were antsy about marriage returning.

I'm seriously hoping that marriage won't be as stressed in this game, since this seems to be more about family and marriage isn't a mechanic like in Awakening. But it's not worth getting worked up over this with as little info as we have at the moment.

just hope the supports, S and others, are more realistic this time

Marriage is fine as long as it's based on more than pies

*sigh*

The pies joke was one of a few of examples of 8-4 jacking off when localizing, turning something that should have only been a passing mention in Chrom/Sumia's B support into an overly long gag.

As long as there's no children or similar-esque mechanic they don't have to make everyone pairable with everyone.

Thus it's my hope they can make those ones that can be paired not total contrivances.

We'll see how it pans out soon enough, I think.

just hope the supports, S and others, are more realistic this time

Agreed.

Some S supports (or supports period) in FE13 obviously made a lot more sense than others - no need for everyone to marry each other. Doubtful we'll see modesty in this regard from IS though and we'll see a lot of nonsensical filler supports =/

Without children, I really don't see the point in having everybody able to marry everybody. I'd also like to see more platonic supports or support conversations between people of the same gender. I think the thing that made S-supports/marriage a bit … obnoxious in FE13 is that marriage was a game mechanic, and it basically encouraged you to pair up parents to customize children. Which meant that the most efficient pairing could have a crap support conversation.

I really don't see the point in making marriage "unlimited" if children aren't coming back. And I see no reason why they would be coming back.

easy there guys, I only played the English version, but even without the pies, many of the relations were very rushed IMO

It's true.

I hope that supporting characters only have access to a limited support pool. I think Kamui should still be able to support everybody if just due to the fact that its the player character, and people don't want to be locked out of chillaxing with their favorite characters. I'm also all for the return of S-supports, but marriage isn't necessary. Just romantic paired endings would be enough for me.

I'm still doubting this is real, could be fake.

It's way too well-developed to be a fake.

Plus, it appears to be from the Nintendo Dream Magazine, whose next issue releases on the 20th.