next gen - timeskip or alt dimension?

Maybe neither. It could be something new like growth pills or something. But that's gonna be just as bad as time travel.

It's sad but I don't think there will be a timeskip. I really want it but I just don't see them going that direction.

Sigh... I can't think of what else it may be other than alternate dimensions and what have you.

I am willing to be pleasantly surprised however. Maybe that's a twist in itself.

I really want all the kids to have got trapped in an alternate dimension while they are very young where time passes at a fast rate relative to the Real world

That odd quote about the "outer world" or "other world" heavily suggests that there's some kind of alternate dimension stuff going on with them. It's certainly not a timeskip though, considering how not only the avatar (who could be excused due to very strong dragon blood), but also that young mage aren't any older while standing alongside their children.

Edited by NeonZ

Awakening technically had children from the future, not alternate dimension. Yes, the future diverges from the past after the past is changed, but I think it sounds like these children will be something else, not just from a split timeline. That quote from Kanna about the "outer world" sounds fairly different from anything the future children said to their parents when meeting them.

Edited by NeonZ

At this point alternate universes make more sense.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

Well, in Awakening, you can almost say it was more alternate universes than time-travel at this point, due to the change that happened and mostly because of the BS of future/past Robin that didn't make sense.

Doesn't make it better. :p

Edited by B.Leu

This is Awakening all over again.

The moment romance is formed and an engagement is entered into with marriage occurring later on (due to ongoing war/conflict), the next-gen arrives.

Its funny because you don't even need to consummate a marriage for next-gen to appear. It is almost as if the world is 100% confident that the characters, once engaged, will 100% produce offspring without even the physical act to have occurred.

This is funny...

Edited by PenguinPrincess

In Awakening, the future was split from the past due to the time travel. Gameplay-wise, the characters only appear after the player pairs them since the game can't guess which pairs you're going with, but they're meant to be around in the past even before you got that S ranking. The father is even allowed to die afterwards, which would make the child being born impossible.

I don't see it impacting the story; I think it's just bonus content for people who want the feature. So Outrealm stuff fits best.

The only way there would be a time skip is if at a certain point in the story every character that was married had a kid and that was the time skip, but I can't see that happening due to people having supports maxed at different points. Therefore, it's likely alternate dimension.

That odd quote about the "outer world" or "other world" heavily suggests that there's some kind of alternate dimension stuff going on with them. It's certainly not a timeskip though, considering how not only the avatar (who could be excused due to very strong dragon blood), but also that young mage aren't any older while standing alongside their children.

This is what I was going to say. We've seen some weird floating islands and underwater portals(?) and what-not in the trailer. The children mentioning the "outer world" in addition to this weirdness makes me think we are getting an alternate dimension of some sort.

At this point alternate universes make more sense.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

Right!? I was hoping we could keep alternate dimension weirdness out of Fates, but at least it's not time travel... (I think?) As I have mentioned before, I don't like time travel used as a plot device unless it is used very carefully (so many plot holes in awakening because of time travel...)

I just hope it's like awakening but in reverse--you can optionally choose to send your parents through an outrealm gate to interact with an AU children's world that is in trouble. Doesn't mess with the main plot, lets the children have their own plot and still lets people have their fun doing meaningless pairing optimization.

Ideally IS will explore something more similar to FE4 again, maybe with a FE6/7 remake pair. Would be another chance for them to do a 2-game model if they feel it was beneficial with FE:if--which I could see, given it's easier to get people to buy two things sold at once than to make something and then try to sell them something else that comes out later, like a sequel. Would also improve FE6's plot, if it's positioned as a sequel instead of FE7 as a prequel.

Right!? I was hoping we could keep alternate dimension weirdness out of Fates, but at least it's not time travel... (I think?) As I have mentioned before, I don't like time travel used as a plot device unless it is used very carefully (so many plot holes in awakening because of time travel...)

One of the plot holes I found to be the worst was Morgan. (S)he can be the child of the children characters, yet is still with them to be recruited! I seriously hope marrying the child characters is not possible.

Anyway, I'd like to think that the "child characters" are not children, but alternate universe versions of those characters or something. I never liked getting the supports for the children characters and Robin because it felt too awkward reading them, unless it was a parent support. But in reality, chances are it's time travel.

How about something completedly different, like adoption?

You would not need any stupid plot anomaly to justify their existence since a war produces a massive amounts of orphans. It could also introduce a different perspective to the cast, the one that shows what happened to the families of those who were left behind while their parents went off getting themselves killed at the frontlines and the common people who have no bigger goal in the war then to survive by any means necessary. It also means that supports can actually develop the relationship between parent and child since it doesn't justify itself with a past that the player and one of the characters have ever seen. This could also be an interesting since this sorta mirrors Kamui's own situation (well, minus the kidnapping), so maybe such a relationship could help him and he and members of his families to understand each other.

And personally I am rather tired of that whole "Sure I am going to accept you as my own child despite the fact that you are a complete stranger to me, because blood ties beat everything" routine. I hope they are being smarter about it this time since this is basically supposed to be the main theme of the games.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm confident that it's an alternate dimension of some design unless every character in Fates ages very slowly and then it becomes a time-skip. It personally doesn't matter too much to me either way.