lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

Many characters don't stand out to me. I don't have many favorites in general, mostly just favorites from each series or game or something.

• N (Pokemon)
  • Marak (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
  • Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
  • Zero (MegaMan, mostly Megaman Zero)
  • Junpei (Persona 3)
  • Basically everyone in P4
  • Kuzuryuu (SDR2)
  • Hajime (SDR2)
  • Masked Man (Mother 3)
  • Lucas (Mother 3)

I don't even know who else, really.
Edited by Draco

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... couple of favs here and there...

• A lot of characters from FFXIV x_x Brithael stands out as one of my favourite minor characters but during the Heavensward storyline I had mega feels for Haurchefant.
  • In the Fire Emblem series I really like Soren, Jill, and Titania.
  • Katsuya from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Gale from Digital Devil Survivor
  • N and Silver from Pokemon
  • Guillo from Baten Kaitos Origins

I hate explict spoilers so this post will be a bit vague.

If it comes down to purely entertainment or sentimental value, then Caim and Angelus from Drakengard. It's hard to explain exactly why this duo is so compelling, but a lot of it comes down to the fact that Caim's lack of dialogue (for once, there's an in universe reason for as to why the protagonist is mute, and he doesn't start off as mute either) and introduction sets him up to be a far more complex character than he really is. Caim's personality and motivations are defined by his actions and how his pact partner, Angelus, interprets them. She speaks for both of them, but in a detached manner, always giving her interpretations of Caim's inner thoughts instead of just delivering them as is. This results in many interesting dialogues between them and other cast members. Angelus herself is stubbornly proud of her status as a dragon, and treats humans with absoloute contempt, but she warms to Caim in a way that reflects their status as kindred spirits; both dejected and empty save for a burning desire to survive, along with a loathing of the world around them. This ties back into their pact of neccessity at the start of the game brilliantly. They develop a bond that really can't be summarised effectively, but if I had to try, they're both psychopaths who find they have empathy after all.

For a less sentimental example, I'd going with Raziel from Legacy of Kain. There's too much to say about him in a brief post, but he walks the thin line between being a tragic hero and an anti hero in a manner that I found very endearing. Raziel has a clear sense of integrity and justice, but is forced to question his own understandings of those concepts, as he is caught up in schemes that are intertwined with his entire universe. He is self righteous yet selfish, and his continuing development from one who acts according base instinctual revenge to someone who comes to understand his sacrificial role in the world, rejects it in fear, then embraces it with dignity should by all means fit into the stereotypical monomyth, but yet, it is subverted. The basic structure holds, but the wheel itself is reversed. Raziel seeks knowledge, but dooms himself in the process. He had everything he needed from the start, but had to be saved from himself by his most hated foe, who damned him in the first place so that he could be granted salvation. Legacy of Kain as a series has some of the strongest dialogue in all of gaming, and is perhaps the only true recipient of the "almost Shakespearean" title, and it equally has unbelievably good delivery on the part of it's voice actors, to the degree that completely blows just about any other VA out of the water. This undoubtedly helps make Raziel such a compelling character as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SQ2Wu6PvI

I do warn against watching this if you have any plans to ever play the series, but a brief amount should be sufficient to convey what I mean about the dialogue.

Edited by Irysa

Lemme just list my top ten favorites.

1. Miles 'Tails' Prower

2. Klonoa

3. Yoshi

4. Leafeon

5. Princess Daisy

6. James McCloud(F-Zero)

7. Mamizou Futatsuiwa(Touhou)

8. Elfriede(Lord of Magna)

9. Viola(Eternal Sonata)

10. Allegretto(Eternal Sonata)

Why is there a poll about Mother on here?

Gig. A badass with godly powers who's totally above you and knows it. Doesn't care about anything, but once you get on his good side, he's kinda sweet...in a kinda generic tsundere way. He's also got a design I love and a game that's a fun little hidden gem (like all Nippon Ichi Games).

disd2dlc05_thumb.jpg

Seriously Nippon Ichi games rock. As SRPG fans you all owe it to yourself to jump onto one of the most complicated SRPGs out there that has one hell of a satirical sense of humor. Go play some Disgaea :3

EDIT: Gah, the system wouldn't let me post a number of cool images D:

Edited by North888

Favorite Mother game? Haven't played any (unfortunately, but I DO have Earthbound on the WiiU) but I have watched LPs of all 3 and I assume my favorite would be Mother 3. Not gonna vote though.

As for favorite characters... uh.... I don't have a lot I absolutely adore, mostly characters I like a little more than others. Even if I do have a favorite, I'm not really good at coming up with reasons of why I love them other than stereotypical stuff like "badass", "cool", etc. so I'm just going to list them:

- Peach (from the Mario RPG games specifically)

- Vivian

- Professor Layton

- Meta Knight

- Kind Dedede

- Midna

- Hilda

And maybe more...? I would actually have an easier time coming up with characters I despise.

Favorite game characters? Hoo... that's a tough question. I'll just list some of the ones I really like.

-Seconding Dunban. The best bro. The best dad.

-Speaking of dads: ALL HAIL OUR LORD AND SAVIOR HEROPON RIKI!

No but seriously, Riki is great IMO though he is kind of polarizing among players. When you first get him you think that he's just going to be some lame comic relief character that gets thrown in the player's face and ruins all the serious scenes (seriously, the similarities between Riki's introduction and Jar Jar Binks' in Star Wars Episode I are kind of eerie). But unlike Jar Jar, Riki is likable because it turns out that there's much more to him than that; he's a silly character but he's also actually very serious when the situation demands.

The best moment with Riki has to be his conversation with Dunban when they're around the campfire. It's two fathers (well, an actual father (Riki) and a father figure (Dunban)) discussing their responsibilities to those that look up to them. This whole exchange is one of the best heartwarming and bro moments in gaming.

I like the new DMC game. Yeah.

That's fine. DMC4SE was a great rerelease :3

New Dante isn't bad. I could see him becoming modern Dante, but liking him isn't a problem...

So long as you admit Classic Dante is 100x better :3

old Cantee? What?

His design is the essence of a 90s badass. He'd be more memorable if you played his games. instead of spending time on bad jokes or poor interactions, Classic Dante made memorable, witty, and funny quips. He's got a lot of charm to him and that's what gave him his staying power. It's something you have to play and expereince to understand. Much in the same way I got over my hatred of new Dante by playing DmC.

Dante
Cante
Cantee
Can'tee

Can't hee

Can't he

That's where that one came from.

New Dante looks cooler but he just seems a lot more rebellious for no reason.

Honestly...you'd get Classic Dante if you just made his hair white a bit longer and removed his swearing and innuendos. Literally the only differences, and look how ppl interpret him so differently :/

I don't really see how new Dante looks any cooler than the old one. The new one looks to me not like the invention of an artist, but what a board room full of executives think will appeal to the mainstream.

In regards to the poll, personally my favorite Mother game was Earthbound/Mother 2.

Personally, I think Mother 3 is the worst one of the trilogy. I love the story and the soundtrack, but the gameplay just gets really dull after a while, due to how much the game focuses on battles as opposed to map exploration. Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings are way better in that regard.

And, when it comes to story, Earthbound Beginnings has the best one (If only there was actually more of it in the game itself).

Melia in Xenoblade, as well as Egil.

OH GODS THOSE TWO ARE AMAZING. I love Egil and Melly with all my heart.

I also want to add Lenneth Valkyrie and Ammy from Okami to the list of favorite game characters.

Favorite Mother game? EarthBound.

Why is there a poll about Mother on here?

I'm running out of ideas for polls, but Mother is a great series so I take great offense to your comment, implying Mother isn't worth being here.

Oh, and Dark Pit is cool. My favorite character in Uprising.

Edited by Rabbattack

^It's a shame too, since I've never played an Earthbound game, I can't answer the poll.

To add to the favorite characters list, I'll put Lyon from FE Sacred Stones.

He's literally one of three characters who stand out to me personality wise in SS, and the only FE villain other than Arvis I felt bad having to fight.

Tho I like Lyon more than Arvis, since I actually enjoy FE8, while I can't say that about FE 4

I'm running out of ideas for polls, but Mother is a great series so I take great offense to your comment, implying Mother isn't worth being here.

Oh, and Dark Pit is cool. My favorite character in Uprising.

Never played mother but I'm saying it isn't worth being there. It just seems random and seems to scew the conversation towards Mother instead of being about ppl's favorite game chars.

All this talk seems to be RPG chars and especially Nintendo Chars. Where's the love for chars like Ratchet & Clank? :D

Huge fan of Hsienn-Ko from Darkstalkers. Beowulf, Big Band, and Ms. Fortune are all amazing and hilarious. You blokes need to play more Skullgirls :3

Mah avatar is Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, need I say more? (K' and B. Jennett are great, too)

Ironically, if I lived in Japan, this would be a popular opinion.

I hate realistic artstyles in games, and much prefer artstyles like WindWaker's and Yoshi's games. I play games to avoid reality, so why would I want to play something realistic.

That's not always the case. Games are more seen as a side thing to them, but there are plenty of mainstream series over there that take what they do based on realism. It's a bit naive and ignorant to just assume the popular opinion is anime. Yeah anime and all it's wackiness influences Japan's culture, but it's not always the rule for what's popular.

Your opinion is fine, I just don't want you to look ignorant :P