lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

Now the topic is game series? Huh. In no particular order:

- Zelda

- Kirby

- Professor Layton

- Smash

- Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi

Aaaaand that's all I can think of now.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite game series other than FE:

-Kid Icarus

-Smash Bros

-Pokemon

-Mother/Earthbound

-Zelda

Other opinions:

-Screw pay-to-wins. Seriously. (Pokemon Rumble World is the only pay-to-win I remotely enjoy)

-FE11 is very ingenious for a remake.

-I actually like the graphics in FE11/12 and I think they're the most practical in terms of animations.

-Owain, Inigo, and Severa are the only characters I like in post-FE12 games. Both in 13 and 14.

-I'm interested in seeing a Wii U FE game and all the innovations it'll potentially make.

-I loved the motion controls in Skyward Sword. A lot.

-People seriously need to play Kid Icarus Uprising.

-I don't see a problem with the lower level-scaling in Johto. It made for a "grinding isn't needed" experience (unless it's Extremespeed Dratini)

-As much as I want to like Gen 6, everyone in Kalos is so forgettable.

-Game Freak, where's the next Pokemon main series installment?

-As much as I want to like Other M, the fanbase really wants to say no.

-I feel that stuff these days just need better writers, etc.

-non-Nintendo consoles are inferior because lack of innovation.

Linear is perfectly fine as long as the game doesnt coddle and hold your hand.

This.

EDIT: I would care for amiibos if it wasn't for the whole fiasco with buying/selling them.

Edited by Kiseki

Oh, my favorite series other than FE:

1. Zelda

2. Smash

3. Mario

4. Pokemon

5. Kirby (even though I've only played two, they were fun, especially The Crystal Shards)

That's just Nintendo though. Outside of Nintendo, I could list Roller Coaster Tycoon as well. I SO can't wait for RCT: World! It's looking amazing! But it's looking like I might have to wait almost as long as I will for FE: Fates. >_<

My absolute favourite besides FE is SMT, especially if you count stuff like Devil Survivor and Devil Summoner (the dungeon crawlers, not the ARPGs) into the mixture.

Dragon Quest, Suikoden and Ys are some I could classify as contenders. I've also keenly followed Zero Escape, but beyond that point I couldn't name any series I particularly care about.

In terms of series and not including FE and in order of my most favourite to least:

1. F-Zero

2. Super Mario Bros (including the RPG and Kart series)

3. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan

4. Battalion Wars

5. Ace Attorney

6. Super Smash Bros

7. Pikmin

8. Call of Duty

9. Wario Ware

10. Pokemon

But honestly, I have a lot.

Edited by kingddd

Favorite Nintendos? That's a tough one. I love so many of those games, but... I dunno if I have a favorite.

Either Metroid, Smash, or Zelda.

With Zelda, I've at least played literally every game in the series but Z2LA, SS, and FS (but not FSA).

And I just straight up have a lot of fun with Metroid, especially Zero Mission.

Same with SSB. That's probably my pick.

Outside of Nintendo, probably SMT or FF. I like RPGs a lot.

Mother 3 is one of my Top 5 games ever and Earthbound is pretty fun, so them too.

Oh, and on poll, I prefer non-linear games, but I'm usually cool with linear as long as they don't hold your hand.

Edited by Draco

My favorite series, not counting Fire Emblem:

- Soul Calibur

- Smash Bros.

- Pokemon

- Mario

- Sonic

- Sly Cooper

- Mega Man (Particularly X and Battle Network)

In regards to the poll: Didn't vote, since both are good, and I have no preference for either one.

Edited by Tsunami922

Favorite series besides Fire Emblem,Tear Ring Saga I joke, that's a hard one.

I'd have to say either Crash Bandicoot or no ones heard of this Syphon Filter

What can I say, I generally enjoy PS1 games, with the exception of FF7, that game sucks.

I don't really know if it's a popular opinion anymore. But I actually like FF7 quite a bit, yeah, it's really dated, but I still find it fun to play.

I like Final Fantasy, dunno if I'd put it as my favorite series, but hey.

My favorite series besides Fire Emblem are

Smash Brothers

Ogre Battle

Final Fantasy

Sonic

Shin Megami Tensei

Castlevania

Megaman X

and various others.

Also for unpopular opinion I think Legend of Dragoon is an overlooked classic PS1 RPG with a very unique battle system.

Favorite series outside FE:

- Super Smash Bros.

- Mario (Main series)

- Mario Kart

- Ace Attorney

- WarioWare

- Theathrhythm

- Devil Survivor

- Mother

- Mega Man (Classic and X mostly)

And a very special mention to Splatoon, which is technically not a series yet, but it's such an amazing game it will become no doubt one of favorite series to come.

Can't answer the poll.

Anyways, favorite series aside from FE (whjch, btw, fell off my favorite series list long ago)... I'll say Tales, Rune Factory, Kingdom Hearts, Atelier, Smash Bros., Mega Man (Classic and X), Final Fantasy, and Castlevania.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Linear is perfectly fine as long as the game doesnt coddle and hold your hand.

My favorite game series:

Legend of Zelda

FE (hurr)

Castlevania

Animal Crossing

Paper Mario

Breath of Fire

Chrono

My favorite series besides Fire Emblem are

Smash Brothers

Ogre Battle

Final Fantasy

Sonic

Shin Megami Tensei

Castlevania

Megaman X

and various others.

Also for unpopular opinion I think Legend of Dragoon is an overlooked classic PS1 RPG with a very unique battle system.

Oh yeah, I like Castlevania a lot too.

Especially SotN and AoS.

What do you all think of the DS games? I liked Order of Ecclessia the best although I think all three were great.

What do you all think of the DS games? I liked Order of Ecclessia the best although I think all three were great.

I liked Portrait best of the 3 which is a rare opinion in itself, but I like all 3.

I personally thought all three were great.

Hmm, aside from FE?

Dragon Age

Kingdom Hearts

The Walking Dead

Tales from The Borderlands

Monster Rancher

Wow, I just realized that there aren't a lot of games I like. Although that is probably because I don't have the money try a bunch of games.

I liked Portrait best of the 3 which is a rare opinion in itself, but I like all 3.

Portrait was really fun and is the one I like second best out of the three. Those dual attacks are killer and that battle with Richter Belmont was just epic.

I like physical copies, since I can play them on more than one system without having to buy it again. I can't do that with a digital one.

And my favorite video game song? Eternal Bond/Ike's Theme from RD, no contest! That piece is just one of the most amazing things I ever heard! <3 And to point out, Ike himself has nothing to do with it since I loved the music even before I played FE, let alone knew much about him. :P

Physical copies just for the boxes

This is a tough one...I can narrow it down to a couple (in no particular order)

Guile's theme- Street Fighter II (it goes with everything)

Lightning Battle- Kid Icarus Uprising (it starts off kinda small, then builds to an amazing guitar riff, one of the best in a any video game song)

Wicked Flight- Bravely Default (it perfectly fits the atmosphere of the fight going on and is honestly pretty amazing even outside of a fight)

You Will Know Our Names- Xenoblade Chronicles (...do I even need to say anything?)

Pursuit ~ Cornered- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (I don't think there's any other song that gives the same feeling of victory and outsmarting your enemy as this one does)

Favorite video game music? There are too many awesome tracks from Touhou Project alone for me to choose just one. So much so that I had to make a list of best tracks for each individual screen (from TH6 to TH14, excl. TH9):

Title: Mysterious Gohei (14)

Stage 1: Mist Lake (14)

Boss 1: Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me (10)

Stage 2: The Fantastic Legend of Tohno (7)

Boss 2: Dullahan Under the Willows (14)

Stage 3: The Gensokyo the Gods Loved (10)

Boss 3: Candid Friend (10)

Stage 4: Desire Drive (13)

Boss 4: Captain Murasa (12)

Stage 5: Lullaby of Deserted Hell (11)

Boss 5: Be of Good Cheer! (11)

Stage 6: Voyage 1969 (8)

Boss 6: Little Princess (14)

Stage Ex: Hourai Victim (8)

Boss Ex: Necro-Fantasy (7)

Best track of TH6, for the record, is The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls, which gets outranked by the Extra Stage themes for 8 and 12.

Outside of Touhou and Fire Emblem (both series known for having soundtracks arguably better than the gameplay), Final Fantasy also has more banging tracks than can be counted, and Pokémon tracks tend to straddle the line of unique and nostalgic at once. So, clearly it's way too difficult to choose just one.

----

As for digital versus physical purchases, for me it's digital no contest. Buying digitally often means you can skip the middleman (Nintendo eShop, PSN) and buy straight from the publisher, and furthermore you are no longer tasked with the liability of maintaining the physical copy, which I fully expect the internet and digital copies to outlast in most cases.