lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

Unrealistic doesn't necessarily equal anime. Even with the most realistic Japanese game series', like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc., they usually do tend to fare better here, even if they are popular over there.

Edited by Knight

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard, realistic art style IS more popular out west while cartoony/anime styles are more popular in Japan. Example: TWW's art style is more popular in Japan, while TP's art style is more popular in the west. So when Aonuma and the Zelda team made Skyward Sword, they sorta blended both styles in hopes that it can appeal to both sides. I love both styles though, as well as SS's style. It really just depends on the game for me, I guess (although, I hated the way Link's face looked in TP. They did much better with it in SS, imo. For some reason, TP Link's face looks uber girly to me, while SS Link's is not so much).

Ironically, if I lived in Japan, this would be a popular opinion.

I hate realistic artstyles in games, and much prefer artstyles like WindWaker's and Yoshi's games. I play games to avoid reality, so why would I want to play something realistic.

Yoshi is kind of a bad example given Yoshi's Wooly World pretty much bombed in Japan.

Yeah, I wasn't even referring to Anime in my post, I was actually thinking Windwaker vs Twilight Princess, since I don't watch Anime,unless you count ATLA or FE Mystery of the Emblem's Anime adaption, when I made my post.

Tho, I do honestly prefer cartoony artstyles, they don't make or break a game for me. For example, I hate TP's artstyle, but I still enjoy playing the game. Like story, a good artstyle is just a addition to good gameplay.

Yoshi's Wooly World bombing in Japan is quite the surprise to me too. I really need to try that game out, since Yoshi's Story on the N64 was more fun than I thought it would be.

I would buy Woolly World in a heartbeat if it were actually available stateside yet. I loved Epic Yarn and Yoshi is life, so. (Not unpopular opinions, I know.)

I guess there's Splatoon and Smash in the meantime.

I'm really excited for Yoshi's Woolly World too, it looks really fun, even more fun than Yoshi's New Island (which was nice, but not as good as the original Yoshi's Island for SNES, imo).

Uh, yeah.

I much prefer more... "artistic" graphics over "realistic" ones.

Like... yeah, I guess part of it is because I already live in the real world already, so I'm going to see that type of stuff every day.

But artistic graphics are just more... creative? I guess?

...oh yeah. And color. I love color. Give me color over browns and grays any day.

Also, artistic graphics seem to age a lot slower compared to realistic graphics.

Odin Sphere, for instance, still looks amazing today.

And really? Yoshi's Woolly World bombed? Just... how bad, though? Because apparently console gaming isn't as popular in Japan...

..still though, that's too bad. It looks like an incredibly adorable game.

Edited by spiderbrush

1.metal gear solid 2 is the best in the series

2.raiden isn't that bad of a character

3.super mario 64 is overrated. it's not even the best 3d platformer on the n64

4.fire emblem 10 and 13 are seriously overrated

5.final fantasy 6 is alright. it's no way near the best rpg of all time

6.fuck tales of symphonia

7.i don't mind bubsy the bobcat

8.i don't like the metroid prime series

9.the punisher, streets of rage 1 and 2, golden axe 2 (arcade), dungeons and dragons 1 and 2, knights of the round, aliens vs predator, the final fight series are all better than tmnt: turtles in time

10.mortal kombat sucks

11. resident evil remake sucks

12. dark souls is overrated (i don't mind demon souls)

13. the fighting mechanics in the arkham series gets quite tedious after a while

Edited by Aizenberg

Yoshi's Wooly World did 31K first week in Japan, and dropped to 11K on the second. People expect it to drop off the charts completely in less than a month.

I think the problem with Yoshi is that players have essentially become fatigued with them. Is the game any good? Probably. But with the exception of Yoshi Touch & Go (which I haven't played so feel free to fill me in on this one), Yoshi games tend to be pretty similar. This isn't a problem in itself, but in a system already saturated with platformers, there isn't really much left for Yoshi to stand out. It has a unique art style, sure, but it takes more than that to win an audience.

It doesn't help the game is pretty damn easy. I mean, it's already easy enough, but it also has Super Easy Mode where you can fly through every level, which I find to be just ridiculous. I understand they were aiming this at kids, but it's one thing to aim a game at kids and another to treat kids like idiots. This is just too much hand-holding.

So with all the options available, why pick Yoshi? You have Donkey Kong if you want a balls-to-the-wall challenge. You have Mario if you want fun level design with moderate challenge. You can wait for Super Mario Maker if you want to create your own platformer. You can check the eShop for various indies and Virtual Console if you want cheap. You can pick Yoshi if you want... super easy and cute, I guess? Some people probably bought it for that, but it's not something a lot of people want in a game, or at least it's not a priority.

TL;DR: YWW may not be a bad game on its own, but if people aren't buying, I can understand why.

1) Mother really isn't as bad as people say it is, in fact a lot of NES RPGs are really good.

2) I actually really liked Gaiden.

3) FNaF is a stupid game with an even stupider fan base (pls don't kill me).

4) Melee is the most overrated smash game out there, smash 4 is better.

5) I actually found brawl really fun.

6) I couldn't care less if Ridley or wolf makes it into smash or not.

7) Minecraft is an overrated game with a very young fan base.

4) Melee is the most overrated smash game out there, smash 4 is better.

Man, I agree with this SO much.

Yoshi's Wooly World did 31K first week in Japan, and dropped to 11K on the second. People expect it to drop off the charts completely in less than a month.

I think the problem with Yoshi is that players have essentially become fatigued with them. Is the game any good? Probably. But with the exception of Yoshi Touch & Go (which I haven't played so feel free to fill me in on this one), Yoshi games tend to be pretty similar. This isn't a problem in itself, but in a system already saturated with platformers, there isn't really much left for Yoshi to stand out. It has a unique art style, sure, but it takes more than that to win an audience.

It doesn't help the game is pretty damn easy. I mean, it's already easy enough, but it also has Super Easy Mode where you can fly through every level, which I find to be just ridiculous. I understand they were aiming this at kids, but it's one thing to aim a game at kids and another to treat kids like idiots. This is just too much hand-holding.

So with all the options available, why pick Yoshi? You have Donkey Kong if you want a balls-to-the-wall challenge. You have Mario if you want fun level design with moderate challenge. You can wait for Super Mario Maker if you want to create your own platformer. You can check the eShop for various indies and Virtual Console if you want cheap. You can pick Yoshi if you want... super easy and cute, I guess? Some people probably bought it for that, but it's not something a lot of people want in a game, or at least it's not a priority.

TL;DR: YWW may not be a bad game on its own, but if people aren't buying, I can understand why.

That's a good point. But Mario platformers tend to be kinda similar too, other than the 3D ones. And they still sell great. So Yoshi being a bit similar shouldn't be a reason for its poor sales. But I'm buying the game, it looks so adorable and fun.

That Super Easy Mode does sound dumb though... But it's optional, so I won't be using it.

Edited by Anacybele

Man, I agree with this SO much.

That's a good point. But Mario platformers tend to be kinda similar too, other than the 3D ones. And they still sell great. So Yoshi being a bit similar shouldn't be a reason for its poor sales. But I'm buying the game, it looks so adorable and fun.

That Super Easy Mode does sound dumb though... But it's optional, so I won't be using it.

Mario games are a bit different, and here's why: Mario games keep themselves fresh for a while by releasing sport games and RPGs in between the mainline games. Yes, Mario platformers tend to be very similar, specially the New SMB series, but they also have a (rightfully earned) reputation for being fun and challenging games, so when it comes to picking up a good game blind, Mario games tend to be very safe bets. It helps a lot of them are bundled with systems.

Note that even then, the mainline Mario series becoming rather repetitive has been a constant complaint by fans, which is likely why we're getting Super Mario Maker. I wouldn't be surprised if 2D Mario gets retired for a while and instead replace it with SMM, and just update it for future systems.

Hmm, yeah, good point again. I also forgot about how some of them got bundled with systems. And you're right, 2D Mario could get retired for awhile because of Super Mario Maker. But I'd be fine with that, I prefer the 3D Mario games over the 2D ones anyway. :P

Least favorite characters, huh?

Let's see:

From Jak II, fuck Erol (or Errol) and his freaking racing challenge. Also, racist and I don't appreciate that.

Moneybags is a greedy bear who steals all my gems and I don't like him for it

[spoiler=Spoilers for Spyro 3]At least you get to kick his ass

Wookies in Star Wars Battlefront II's campaign fill me with RAGE! (I like playing as them though)) Wookies OP pls nerf

Least favourite characters.... Metal Face, Lorithia, pretty much most antagonists....

Though I like Egil and Heiss (Radiant Historia)

Protagonist wise.... I don't really tend to hate protagonists that much. Though Shinon is pretty much an exception to that rule.

Flame Shield up

I don't like Sigurd from FE4, like at all. Personality wise, he's basically Chrom without his DLC humor and more screentime. I'm not the biggest Chrom fan either, but at least he spouts off jokes every now and then to keep me invested in his character. Sigurd just never does anything to not bore me, and I deeply apologize to any Sigurd fans. Maybe you see something I don't, or Chap. 5 really left a big impact on you unlike me.

Leif from FE4 and 5, I like less than Sigurd, he's about as boring as Sigurd, but 99% less useful of a unit than Sigurd. I consider him a worse unit than Roy, at least Roy is useful earlygame and endgame, Leif just sucks thruout Thracia. This is especially annoying since I always show favoritism to the Lords, and even with EVERY statbooster and scroll placed on him, he only turns out okay for me in my runs. Heck, Roy with this amount of favoritism is actually useful the whole game, as I learned in my latest FE6 run.

Tharja, for WAY too many reasons to list here.

Big the Cat, he's annoying, and never avoids being shoehorned in to the games he's in

My least favorite characters? Not hard to say.

Lucina, I think she's really boring, doesn't look cool or cute at all, and I don't even really like her voice. I looked at some of her supports to see if maybe something could appeal to me. Her weirdo fashion sense was humorous, I guess, but not nearly enough to redeem herself in my eyes.

I don't like Chrom at all either, for similar reasons (mainly being really boring. His outfit is dumb too, but he is overall good looking and has a good voice). But he's better than Lucina for actually having some entertaining moments on occasion.

Peach is annoying as hell, imo. I also don't like pink. She IS kinda cool in Super Paper Mario though.

There are several Pokemon I don't like either, most notable being Greninja, Blaziken, Lickilicky, and Magmortar. They're just really ugly, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree on Chrom and Lucina, although Lucina is the one I'd call one of my least favorites. I want to like her, but she has the least personality out of anyone in her game.

Chrom is at least pretty funny at times, in a "wow what a dork" way. You can kinda laugh at him, and I at least cared about his goal in the end. also his voice is great I love it that is my favorite thing about Chrom and I am not afraid to admit it

Lucina is just a super boring angsty protagonist. She doesn't even have a personality beyond being very serious. I can sorta laugh at Lucina, but in an awkward cringeworthy way, since her interactions with other characters tend to involve her being super serious and not understanding people.

Anyway to name a few that I dislike

Big the Cat because big dumb purple cat thing fishing for mutant frog what

Richter Belmont purely because of voice acting. I know that's a bad reason to hate a character...

But when he was the "villain" in SotN, I just couldn't take him seriously. I was laughing almost every time he was on the screen. His "villain" motivations are just plain stupid, which adds to the ridiculousness. He's simultaneously one of my favorite and least favorite characters as a result.

Also that... pink... guy...? From Mega Man Zero 2. Haven't played it in a while, so I forgot his name.

First off the guy is an asshole second I've never finished the game and I can tell he's the villain and third, he's just creepy. He's easily confused for a girl, has this weird giggle he does all the time, and for whatever reason is the commander of the resistance. Despite the fact that he's a robot. Because apparently Zero was gone for so long that a new base was built, they built a robot, he became the commander despite being an asshole, and someone thought it was a good idea to build a robot that's a trap.

I have a lot more but those three were notable because they were really memorable to me for all the wrong reasons.

I can't really tell, any character has pros and cons, buuut ...

I might consider Waluigi. You can hate hate this character so much until is pointless forever.

Cause the dude doesn't never, ever protagonised his own game ... he's just ... there. A filler.

What a shame of waste.

P.S: On a more serious note, nah, I don't tend to 'hate', but rather disagree in some character's concepts. For example, Rosalina, for what in the world was her role besides standing as a mere bystander?

Lucina is also a kind of a prepotent ****, what the hell is her problem? She also rejected her most favorable S support ever!

Palutena and Pit conversations ... SHUT-UP! (TOO MUCH conversation at times, they're rarely funny after all!)

Liquid (Metal Gear Solid 1) and his crying rage (I AM GONNA DESTROY YOU BROOOOOOOTHAAAAAA, BECAUSE "WAAAAAAH!" YOU HAVE BETTER GENES THAN MINE, PLUS I MUST DEFEAT YOU, I FEEL MISERABLE!)

Arrogant, still with some proper style, I guess.

Meryl in MGS4. She felt all way cooler because for AIDS (nah, some nanothings in her blood or some womanizing piece of sh!t anyway).

Kind Dedededede ... what a D. name, seriously!

The guy dressing like Elvis Presley in Wind Waker. LoL ... -_-U

Resetti ...

Oh, and everything inside T-t-t-t-t-t--- Tietanic!

"Least favourite video game characters?" Well, there would be the entire Awakening cast for one. If they are not downright scumbags and assholes, they are annoying as heck and will never shut up about the single thing that defines their entire being. It's like every character is just a joke that keeps getting repeated over and over in the vain hopes that repetition will make something funny that already wasn't entertaining the first time. Also, Kamui in Fates. I fear he might not turn out to be the only one but for now it's just him.

For other Fire Emblem characters, there is Makalov and Oliver from RD (athough he would be fine if it wasn't for PoR).

There is also Richard from TRS. Since not that many people played TRS yet, I will use spoiler tags here:

Richard basically willingly doomed the entire freaking world because the person he claimed to love didn't immediately respond with "Yes" to his marriage proposal. Not even rejecting him, just not feeling able to give an answer immediately. I mean, wow this guy is an petty asshole of epic proportions.

And of course she would have doubts, not just because of the whole weight of such a decision and the whole war thing, but because obviously his claims of "love" don't mean jackshit. You don't betray the person you claim to love and sell her out to people who will kill her.

Richard ends up changing his mind at the last minute, saving Tia but dying to the main villain in the process, all while being unbelievable smug the entire time because humility is for people who would not sacrifice the entire world to avenge their dick. Well, he was an ass but at least he died to fix things, right?

Hell no, he gets revived and Tia accepts his marriage proposal. I have no words for that. It's unbelievable how badly this guy is spoiled by the writing. I mean, even if he survives, could the writing at least have accepted that at least this bridge should really have been burned down? The only thing that prevents this guy from being as bad as Kamui is that at least him stabbing Tia in the back is treated as a bad thing and he isn't the player character or even playable. But man, this guy is a piece of work.

Then there is also Minsc from Baldur's Gate. The game claims he is chaotic good but beyond him screaming about justice and goodness, he kinda fails to live up to that alignment. The first thing he does in the first game is to force you into helping him. If you refuse his "request", he will try to kill you. And if you take too long to help him, he will also try to kill you. And the first thing he does in the sequel is also trying to kill you. It's possible to deliberately provoke him but he will try to kill you either way. And that is in the first few minutes of the game, in the very first room even. I've also seen him starting attacking other NPCs because of minor provocations. He even has a skill that makes him attacking everyone in range, friend or foe.

What's particular frustrating about this guy is that Bioware obviously understands the difference between actually being good or just talking as if you were. Because there is another guy in BG2, Anomen, who talks like he is the goodest guy there is, yet he is Lawful Neutral.

Edited by BrightBow

The mayor from Advance Wars DoR. I don't mind characters who disagree or don't like the main characters but jeezus anything he says I want to break my DS.

Peach from Super Mario Bros. How ironic of me. I am a huge Super Mario Bros fan but I don't like Peach at all. I don't even want to rescue her. I just want to kill Bowser in the games. The RPG series somewhat negate this but in terms of mainline series no I don't like her at all.

Roy Earle from LA noire. Enough is said.

Yay, hated characters! TIME TO RANT.

First off is Rosalina. Why is she so popular now. I actually liked her a lot in Mario Galaxy because she was a mysterious, powerful person with a tragic past was enough to keep me interested for one game, and her appearance in MG2 was pretty much a given, so there's no hate there. But now, she's appearing in literally everything. Mario Kart? Sure, throw her in! Mario Party? The more the merrier! The 2D platformers? Hey, why not! SMASH BROS? That sounds good, right? No, no it isn't. The mystery behind Rosalina was what made her interesting, but now that she's now appearing in pretty much anything with the name "Mario" in it, that mystery about feels pretty much nonexistent at this point. She just feels boring. You could say that I shouldn't expect that much from a Mario character, but I don't care. Rosalina is just annoying to me now.

Peach qualifies too (in all the non-RPG games, I actually love her in the RPG games). She's utterly useless, and she's possibly the dumbest, least active game character I can think of. You could literally replace her in most games with a wood board and nothing would change. What bothers me more is that the RPG games SHOW that she can be useful even when she's kidnapped, and that she can fight will still looking elegant and princess-like, yet in all other games she just stands there. Watching. Not doing anything an- GODDAMIT YOU CAN JUMP FROM THAT AIRSHIP AND RUN AWAY JUST FINE, WTH.

Tharja and Cordelia are among some of my hated characters, and most of you guys probably know why considering how much those two are hated on here, so I won't be elaborating on them.

There's also Porky Minch, and all of you guys probably know why.

Lastly there's Bill Hawks. Wow. To be honest, Level 5 did a really good job in making you despise this man with every fiber of you being, because by the end of the game, I just wanted to strangle him.

[spoiler=Lots of plot stuff from Professor Layton: Unwound Future] Bill Hawks is a greedy, selfish, power-hungry b****** that shows no remorse for anything he's ever done. Oh, and he's a hypocrite. First off, he decides to go through with a risky time machine experiment with a human test subject in a residential space to sell the technology even though his partner outright told him the machine was unstable and will likely go wrong. And then when said time machine goes haywire and explodes, not only does he destroy the building and kill the test subject, but the explosion destroys an entire block, killing dozens. Somehow, the deal still happens, and then Hawks just uses his new-found wealth to pay off every single news company in England to hide his involvement in the explosion and buys his way into power, eventually becoming the prime minister. And then at the end of the game after Clive, a boy who wanted to get revenge on Hawks because the explosion he caused killed his parents and destroyed his life, is arrested under Hawks orders, he then proceeds to say that all criminals are despicable beings and are the scum of the earth. And he runs off without ever paying for his crimes or acknowledging that what he did ruined the lives of several and just caused everything that happened during the entire game. That infuriates me.

And as for other characters I hate, but don't necessarily despise like the ones I listed above:

Seiga Kaku - She's the kind of person I would punch in the face in real life.

Nergal - He's by far, one of the dumbest villains I've ever seen in a game. Sure he has a tragic backstory, but that doesn't excuse the amount of BS he does in the story.

Anise & Airy - They're grouped together because they have the same reason why I hate them: SHUT. UP.

Ilia - Those of you who played TP know exactly why.

Fi - I don't know if it's just me, but what is exactly so appealing about her? I honestly didn't feel any connection to her throughout the entire game.

Edited by SageOfAnys