lol

I don't even play FF, but I don't have access to the newer ones? Should I play the older games from before their betrayal of Nintendo?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

2. 2. Which is better?

• FF10
    • FE10
  3. 3. Which is better?

4. 4. Which one is better?

5. 5. Which one is better?

There's plenty of difference between the gameplay of the GBA games and the gameplay of the Tellius games. The Tellius games have skills, most notably Canto, and RD has things like ledge mechanics, unique objectives, etc. And it isn't just the gameplay that makes the Tellius games much better to me, I also like the characters and story more.

FE7's plot is boring. Sacred Stones has a nice story though. Still not as good as Tellius, but it's hardly bad. I just enjoy the Tellius games more than the handheld ones, deal with it.

FE7 was amazing for me, especialy its story. Gameplay was fun too. Edited by Rabbattack

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sword in MGS2 - while it is pretty cool - is far from practical and you hardly get to use it very long or well. There's a sequence where you have to kill a bunch of dudes, and if memory serves, it's a hell of a lot more practical to use guns and Snake is doing a lot of the work anyway... then you have to take down 3-7 GIANT robots (no, seriously, they're maybe 100x your size if memory serves)... as you can imagine, the sword doesn't work too well there.

Yeah.

I think I prefer handhelds though, mostly because I've owned a hell of a lot more.

It's just a problem in general for that game. Even the gameplay is all over the place. It's a downhill slope. The game starts out hard and gets easier.

That's every Fire Emblem game, though. The only possible exception is Awakening with its midgame difficulty spike, but even there it's just that, a spike; the game starts hard, gets easier, ramps it back up again, then gets easier over time again. It's essentially the same thing but happening twice within the same game.

RD has some of the most polished gameplay in the series.

Oh, and...I don't think I really prefer handhelds or consoles. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages and I like having both available.

I prefer handhelds because, since I'm in college, they're the only type of gaming consoles that I have ready access to for most of the year. Also the only type of console I have for the current generation.

I've played literally two console FEs but I liked them both a lot. (FE9 and FE10)

I played some of FE4 too but I wasn't real big on it.

Still prefer handhelds overall though.

I'm also unusually busy for not being in college and I never have access to consoles but I carry my 3DS on me often.

Edited by Draco

This this this this.

As for FE7, I guess my opinion that its plot is boring is yet another unpopular opinion. I really could not get into it, the only reason I kept playing the game at all was Sain and attempting to get him with Fiora. But the support system is bad too, because the units have to be RIGHT next to each other for a million turns just for one support conversation to open up. >_>

I'm going to abstain from the console vs. handheld vote because I don't like one over the other, and they're kind of stealing each other's advantages at this point (handhelds are now able to store the entirety of Xenoblade while keeping the graphics nice-looking enough, albeit with a noticeable downgrade, and the Wii U's gamepad allows me to continue playing from the bathroom, which is about as far as I usually take a handheld while playing).

Here's an unpopular opinion, though: the Wii U's gimmick (the gamepad) is actually useful, can be fun, and isn't an intrusive feature in most games, while the Wii's gimmick (motion controls) is garbage 99% of the time and was constantly tacked on where it didn't need to be. So it's really a shame that the Wii U is selling so poorly, especially compared to its overly-gimmicky predecessor.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

This this this this.

FE10 has nice gameplay elements but I wouldn't call it the most polished. I'll say FE11, FE12, and even FE8 and FE13 are far more polished in that regard.

FE10 has nice gameplay elements but I wouldn't call it the most polished. I'll say FE11, FE12, and even FE8 and FE13 are far more polished in that regard.

FE11? How? That's just a complete downgrade after the previous games. There's hardly anything there to polish. Also, gaidens.

FE12 I haven't played enough of to really judge, but it does have a lot of the same stuff as 11, which is not good.

FE8 has no inherent mechanical flaws that I can think of, at least (except Seth). I wouldn't say it's better or worse than RD. The skill system was very underutilized, though.

FE13 is good, but the lazy map design, lack of objectives, and random difficulty spike put it below RD in my book.

FE9 and FE10 while has the best gameplay elements can also get downright boring because of how slow it gets. Majority of the time I'm constantly waiting and really wished there was a fastforward or skip button for the animations. Even the map animations are atrociously slow even with everything set to fast forward running. Not to mention those Other PHASES oh god those other phases are everywhere in FE10. Most chapters I can complete with 30 mins for most of the localized FE games. FE9 and FE10 can take me an hour or 2 considering how slow the animations go.

Edited by kingddd

FE 13's skill system is inferior as well, IMO. And there's no stealing, weight, magic triangle, etc.

If FE10 had skipping turns, it would be the best. I do agree on that sentiment, but having the previously mentioned be taken out for little reason when they were good features (I guess weight is arguable) than it's clear that the newer FEs are not the superior mechanically.

Edited by Knight

FE11? How? That's just a complete downgrade after the previous games. There's hardly anything there to polish. Also, gaidens.

FE12 I haven't played enough of to really judge, but it does have a lot of the same stuff as 11, which is not good.

FE8 has no inherent mechanical flaws that I can think of, at least (except Seth). I wouldn't say it's better or worse than RD. The skill system was very underutilized, though.

FE13 is good, but the lazy map design, lack of objectives, and random difficulty spike put it below RD in my book.

FE11 and FE12 are very simplistic games, but the gameplay elements they have are very well implemented. There's really nothing inherently wrong with how the games play, and the most vocal complains about them are lack of character development in FE11 (which is valid) and the way the Avatar is implemented into FE12's story (also valid), but none of those are gameplay-related.

I don't consider the Gaidens in FE11 to be a bad gameplay mechanic. They're dumb, but that's only if you're a player that resets on every death, and that's clearly not what the devs were going for. They were removed in later games because fans didn't like the conditions, not because they were inherently bad.

Pretty much agree on FE8, but I wouldn't mention Seth as a bad gameplay mechanic. FE10 gives you so many Seth-like characters it's not even funny.

Map design and lack of objectives in FE13 I'll give you, but everything in FE13 is so... optional that I really have trouble hating its mechanics since the game gives you everything so you can play it at whatever pace you want. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to each person, but it's definitely something I can appreciate (and it might have done something right since FE13 put the series on the map with the general audiences).

FE10... I feel that it tries to do much more than it can handle. It's like the devs spent too much time on the story and various features that they completely forgot how to blend everything together nicely. A cast so big that it's impossible to balance proper, and the ridiculous difficulty spikes during Part 3 when you're switching teams. Oh, and sometimes I feel I'm spending way too much time on the preparation screen. I still remember that every time I reach Endgame, the preparation screen alone is like a whole hour, because you lose 80% of your team at that point, make sure you take out every weapon and skill out of everyone, otherwise it's lost forever for the final maps.

And it's weird, because FE10 is still my favorite game in the series. I think it's because I've played it so many times that I figured a way to play in order to make it fun and enjoyable, but I still can't shake the fact that the way I play it is not the way it's supposed to be played. Maybe I'm just weird, but it's how I feel.

sample and flavor text is alright.

unless it's unskippable.

then fuck it.

oh and I have no strong opinion about the pokemon game regions. I rank them this way.

Hoenn, due to nostalgia and a generally solid game. I like water types and lots of mons can deal with the water part.

Unova- B2/W2 Holy shit they got good. Kinda wish the starters weren't so mediocre. BUT OH MY GOD, there are so many really good pokemon for every part of the game.

Orre- XD was so fun man. That Teddiursa is such a badass.

Johto- GSC was so fun. Pick Totodile and then wreck things.

Kanto- It's balanced and was kinda fun as a kid. Except for yellow. That got stupid until I figured out that Fighting beats rock.

Sinnoh- Never really got invested in it. Kinda easy to cheese through though. Pick any starter and then look for a Starly/Gible and get a Buizel/Budew/Houndoom for your other type needs.

Shin Firered- RAGE RAGE RAGE.

Also:

Digimon>Pokemon in potential for innovation.

Handhels > consoles.

(Also, as for Shadow Dragon's Gaidens: maybe they were made so that people who were sucking at the game could get some special units?)

Uh, I never said home console games couldn't ever be rushed at all. Hell, I would say RD was rather rushed. Way to exaggerate my point. Also, there's no need to make fun of me.

Awakening's story and all suffered because of how much extra content it had and it hurt the game overall, imo. A home console game has the potential to have said extra content without forcing the story to be rushed and stuff.

Just firing this out: 3DS cartridges are available in 2, 4, and 8 gigabyte versions to developers. Awakening is all of 1.05 gigabytes.

And there are things called "deadlines", you know. You can't keep adding and expanding upon things forever. Instead of trying to make one consistent story, the devs decided to make Awakening three different arcs. It had nothing to do with handheld vs console.

Handhels > consoles.

(Also, as for Shadow Dragon's Gaidens: maybe they were made so that people who were sucking at the game could get some special units?)

In that case, they probably shouldn't have given you the generic units when you reached a certain number of units.

I liked Shadow Dragon's extra chapters because their existence encourages you to kill off extra units. With a smaller, tighter army, experience is never spread thinly. And you can use all the generic units the game gives you as meatshields. It's surprisingly effective.

I don't consider the Gaidens in FE11 to be a bad gameplay mechanic. They're dumb, but that's only if you're a player that resets on every death, and that's clearly not what the devs were going for. They were removed in later games because fans didn't like the conditions, not because they were inherently bad.

I disagree here. Character death has always been a big part of the series, and not wanting to let your characters die, whether you reset for them or not, is supposed to be a natural feeling when playing, but SD's gaidens are completely counter-intuitive to that. It was a terrible idea from the start.

Pretty much agree on FE8, but I wouldn't mention Seth as a bad gameplay mechanic. FE10 gives you so many Seth-like characters it's not even funny.

I mention Seth as a problem and not any of the RD cast because Seth dominates the entirety of SS, whereas none of RD's supposedly "Seth-like" units can really do the same. Even when they're around, the best of them arguably aren't quite as good in RD as Seth is in SS.

FE10... I feel that it tries to do much more than it can handle. It's like the devs spent too much time on the story and various features that they completely forgot how to blend everything together nicely. A cast so big that it's impossible to balance proper, and the ridiculous difficulty spikes during Part 3 when you're switching teams. Oh, and sometimes I feel I'm spending way too much time on the preparation screen. I still remember that every time I reach Endgame, the preparation screen alone is like a whole hour, because you lose 80% of your team at that point, make sure you take out every weapon and skill out of everyone, otherwise it's lost forever for the final maps.

The part 3 difficulty spikes and the ridiculous RNG in 2-1 and 3-P are the only gameplay parts of RD that I would say are problematic. 3-6 enemies being stronger than other part 3 bosses is definitely dumb. It arguably fits with the story, as Daein should realistically feel like they're really at a disadvantage, but it's still a bit much.

I mean, I never said RD was perfect, but it definitely does gameplay right, especially when you compare how much the mechanics are improved from PoR.

The Dreamcast sucks.

Finally, i thought i was alone....

I very strongly agree with this. Well, with the exception of FE11 because that one is not polished. Its certainly true for FE13 and FE8, however. The only thing that i found to be really polished in FE10 is the skill system.

HANDHELDS >>> CONSOLES

No contest. Hell, its likely i may never buy a console ever again. As you get older, you realize that you simply dont have time to sit and play a console game. Hell, my Steam library is actually kinda dusty because i havent had time to just sit and play those games. I havent booted Steam up in over a week. But i have been playing video games. Portable. Video. Games. My 3DS is still getting ample use. Its just perfect for stealing a half hour or so to play Animal Crossing or something. I was able to do a run in A Link Between Worlds too, this past week. Handhelds are getting beefier, so the kinds of games i want to play are able to be on them. I honestly think the future of gaming is one without consoles.

I honestly feel that I'm the only one who understands the point of SD's weird Gaiden triggers.

The original intentions behind permadeath was never for the player to reset the game upon the character dying. Up until FE4, the reasoning behind was simply to simulate real wars, and the hardships and brutality behind it, which is why each character had a different personality and stuff about them since the first game. FEs 1-3 give you SO MANY UNITS simply because the designers didn't intend for constant resets upon character deaths, so replacements are needed because of this fact. Upon reaching FE4, the constant reseting was noticed, so less and less units with more delveloped personalities have been given since. FE11 tries with its Gaidens to convince the player to play this way, and said need for replacement characters being further shown thru the subs. FE gets easier as the game goes on because no one myself included plays the games the intended way.

Also, I second 8, 11, and 13 being more refined than RD. In fact, RD is my second least favorite FE, and the additions it makes I feel are either completely pointless and useless, or too game breaking altogether.

Another unpopular opinion of mine, Roy is a good lord character, and not the worst in the series.

Consoles are better when they are actually using the extra hardware power for something good, or are multiplayer, or if it's a fighting game or other game that requires fast reflexes. Otherwise, handhelds all the way.

Edited by Knight