That One Boss 2.0

Draco

Blade Man (Mega Man 10) - Spends pretty much the whole fight hopping between the walls and the ceiling, and his weakness weapon is rather awkward to use (the Commando Bomb requires you to actually hit the wall or ceiling such that the blast hits him, as the bomb itself does little damage, though you'll likely whiff and waste ammo because he just doesn't stay still), to say nothing of said weapon not having much ammo in the first place.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could I forget this?

Sigma (X4) took me a lot of time to beat him, when I first played the game. His first form is ridiculous and I guessed easily that Magma Dragoon's move was his weak point, so it is not much of an issue. His second form, though, was hard enough to defeat, with his scythe move that electrocuted the ground while homing projectiles came after me. His third form, right after the former fight (and without any healing items, iirc) gives him two lifebars, not to mention he stays offscreen most of the time, while his attacks take a lot of the player's lifebar.

Nowadays I can defeat X4's Sigma easily, but X3's Sigma is still hard for me. His first form's shield is very gimmicky because, when it is not blocking the player's attacks, it is firing extremely fast bullets, so you either stay on safety or risk it (but I figured out I can abuse Crush Crawfish's move to hit him from behind, without putting myself on danger). To make it worse, his second form has a hitbox of the size of a peanut, his moveset spams the screen with projectiles, and his attacks take a lot of the player's lifebar.

How could I forget this?

Sigma (X4) took me a lot of time to beat him, when I first played the game. His first form is ridiculous and I guessed easily that Magma Dragoon's move was his weak point, so it is not much of an issue. His second form, though, was hard enough to defeat, with his scythe move that electrocuted the ground while homing projectiles came after me. His third form, right after the former fight (and without any healing items, iirc) gives him two lifebars, not to mention he stays offscreen most of the time, while his attacks take a lot of the player's lifebar.

Nowadays I can defeat X4's Sigma easily, but X3's Sigma is still hard for me. His first form's shield is very gimmicky because, when it is not blocking the player's attacks, it is firing extremely fast bullets, so you either stay on safety or risk it (but I figured out I can abuse Crush Crawfish's move to hit him from behind, without putting myself on danger). To make it worse, his second form has a hitbox of the size of a peanut, his moveset spams the screen with projectiles, and his attacks take a lot of the player's lifebar.

Don't they actually give you a full heal item between the second and third forms for X4 Sigma? Haven't played in forever, so I could be wrong.

I agree on X3 Sigma and Kaiser Sigma.

And wince we're talking Mega Man X... Shadow Devil from X5, especially as Zero. who has to get up close to hit its weak point (which might spawn somewhere that you can't even reach. Also, its weakness moves Zero forward, meaning try to use it too close, and you risk massive contact damage. Also, it leaves an outline behind then it deforms... which takes an absolutely ludicrous amount.off the player's lifebar. There's also The Skiver, who has no weakness (though he IS vulnerable to the Dark Hold, which won't last long enough to knock off even anything resembling a decent portion of health, particularly as X). Also, if he collides with you with his charges, you go flying VERY far, which is especially bad if you got tagged near a pit.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

... Yeah. I looked it up, and there's a full heal item. But when I played it, as a child, I didn't even know life-ups existed. I tried to tackle Sigma with X's normal armor and no life-ups, until I googled about the game on the internet and found out armors exist.

I also remember Gate from X6 was a tough boss, not exactly for being hard but for taking too long to kill. Invincibility save for reflecting his attacks? Check. Keeping yourself from falling the bottomless pit while the boss tries to push you off the wall / destroy the platforms / slow down time? Check. At least hearing his awesome theme for 10 minutes isn't so bad.

Every endgame boss from X6 aside from Sigma himself could probably apply honestly.

Ayup. Also, Infinity Mijinion (or w/ever his name is). He can clone himself, and the clones can get in the way of finding out which one's the real one. Also, his weakness isn't even that good against him since it only works on one of his attacks, and if it hits, it just creates another clone. The worst part? The clones can take an absurd amount of punishment before going kablooie.

Ayup. Also, Infinity Mijinion (or w/ever his name is). He can clone himself, and the clones can get in the way of finding out which one's the real one. Also, his weakness isn't even that good against him since it only works on one of his attacks, and if it hits, it just creates another clone. The worst part? The clones can take an absurd amount of punishment before going kablooie.

Not to mention his weakness is a weapon that has a terrible description and is overall unintuitive and bad (like a lot of X6's gameplay)

(okay it's not bad when you exploit it with Zero but that's less on the weapon itself and more on how it affects Zero)

Edited by Batter the Beast

Every endgame boss from X6 aside from Sigma himself could probably apply honestly.

Ironically I found Fortress!High Max easier than AltStage!High Max, if only because the latter can be hard to take on if you haven't killed the right bosses, while the former is... just a slightly upgraded version you face, but this time with all the bosses' weapons and power ups.

Nightmare Mother is the absolutely worst boss. I dare say nothing in the Megaman series in a whole is harder than it. Omega Zero is child's play compared to it (well, unless you fight it on Megaman ZX while not using Model X/ZX).

Infinity Mijinion is a pain, alright. IIRC, he is easy to beat with X but much harder with Zero.

Edited by Rapier

Slash from the SNES version of Turtles in Time. He blocks all frontal attacks, and worse yet, outranges even Donatello.

Going back to RPGs, there's Schwann from Tales of Vesperia. You're out the best healer in the game. And the only other decent healer?

He just so happens to be the dude you're fighting.

Of course, he takes advantage of those to smash your face in with combos, as well as a wide-range Mystic Arte.

Lol why is this thread still running.

I guess that one crab boss from Castlevania OoE. You're climbing a tower (lighthouse, more accurately) and it chases after you from the bottom. After dealing enough damage, it'll climb up some more and you have to jump over platforms, etc. If you miss one, you land on it and take a lot of damage.

There's only one or two glyphs you have that can hurt it from above and they're not terribly effective, so it takes some time.

Good question.

I feel that I should've mentioned these buggers earlier, but Lenus and the Grand Jewel from Legend of Dragoon. The former ins incredibly fast (she can occasionally get two attacks off to your characters' one), and her magic stings. Worse yet, your protagonist is a fire elemental, and is thus weak against her (though to be fair, that goes both ways). The latter uses powerful magic, a good deal of which hits everyone, and can lower your levels too. Also, Dragoon forms won't help here - this thing has the Dragon Block Staff, and will use it. The worst part? The damn thing can heal, which will set you back quite a few turns between the aforementioned level down crap and its high defense.

That's probably why, it seems like people are mostly posting about things they had a little bit of trouble with instead of junk that actively stopped your progress for more than a few tries.

fuckin ring wyrm man, replaying ff12. it's an optional high-rank hunt you can accept way too early and frustrate yourself banging your head against until level 30

uh really though the only ones that really stuck with me were the first phantom fight in DMC1 (especially if you missed any blue orbs) and grilgan from lost odyssey (you literally just have to grind to level 12 to beat him but that is so fucking lame)

Xenoblade Chronicles, one of my favorite games of all time was a game that I almost never finished because of that one boss

Disciple Lorithia

oh my god, I just despised that one! It's up there with one of the most poorly designed bosses ever made along with Shadow Mitsuo from Persona 4, he was not that bad for me in terms of difficulty, surprisingly so after hearing a lot of people tearing their hair out over him, he was still poorly designed, though. The End? Nah, I beat that guy on my second try, he wasn't that bad, but Sahelanthropus from Phantom Pain was fucking awful on so many levels. And last but not least, the Fawful Express, a boss so hard that I put Bowser's Inside Story down for two years until I picked it up again and took my vengeance.

In depth explanation for each:

Xenoblade's Third to Last boss:

Her first move is to summon minions that give her a permanent armor buff, you're in a tight arena with Ether (Equivalent to lava) all over the place, what makes it even better is that she has a lot of blow down moves that'll knock you all the way to the lava and eventually die from the damage you take from it, give me the designer behind it, NOW!

Shadow Mitsuo:

As stated previously, I didn't spend as much time fighting him but he was bad enough to make me rage, he can attack twice (Why?) he has an outer shell which takes the longest to destroy, he has insane attacks that inflict terrible status ailments, and he's a terrible character on top of all that. The fact that he can attack twice a turn is unbelievable, I can understand doing that for a final boss but for the one you fight little over midway through? No thank you.

Sahelanthropus:

Oh my god! Never before have I faced a boss so cheap and so damage spongy, so poorly thought out, so broken. So he deals a lot of damage to the point where if you weren't wearing the battle dress you may as well kill yourself already, he soaks up rockets like they're nothing and pretty much the best weapons against him are 50 cal machine guns, he disables vehicles and walker gear if you use them too much which are essentially the only viable method of damaging him, he basically says fuck you and has a counter measure to every method you try against him, to the point where fighting him isn't a test of skill, it's a test of luck and patience. To be fair, you can save your support helicopters if you time your shots carefully, but fighting him on foot is extremely risky in general. Just hope you can expend at least half of your 30mm Autocannon shots on him.

The Fawful Express:

The worst part about the Fawful Express fight is that it's a difficult fight that relies on a system gimmick, the DS mic, relying on a gimmick for a hard boss is a terrible thing to do in any game! Becuase that gimmick doesn't always work properly, and in the case of the Fawful Express, it is no different. They spend the entire fight escaping Bowser's clutches while throwing rockets at you, Choombas, going under hills to slow you down, and in the middle of the fight, they take control of a hill to fight you! That thing can mitigate your damage with one of its abilities as well, unlike the other fights, I actually feel that the Fawful Express is well designed on paper, but in execution, using a motion or console gimmick as a key component to your fight is a terrible idea! Often times I blow correctly and it doesn't count my flame attack as excellent. Maybe it's just in my experience, but I didn't have a great time with the Fawful Express, in a game that is otherwise superb.

Edited by Rxmonste

Xenoblade's Third to Last boss:

Her first move is to summon minions that give her a permanent armor buff, you're in a tight arena with Ether (Equivalent to lava) all over the place, what makes it even better is that she has a lot of blow down moves that'll knock you all the way to the lava and eventually die from the damage you take from it, give me the designer behind it, NOW!

I really feel the need to note that her armor buff can be gotten rid of by killing the minions... but that can be tricky depending on your party makeup.

How to trivialize most things in Xenoblade: Make your party be Shulk, Dunban, and Seven. Chain Attack for days.

Speaking of Chain Attacks, am I the only Xenoblade player who thinks they're impractical???

I guess that one crab boss from Castlevania OoE. You're climbing a tower (lighthouse, more accurately) and it chases after you from the bottom. After dealing enough damage, it'll climb up some more and you have to jump over platforms, etc. If you miss one, you land on it and take a lot of damage.

There's only one or two glyphs you have that can hurt it from above and they're not terribly effective, so it takes some time.

Not only did I find that boss particularly easy, I actually undertook the effort to beat it without taking damage and succeeded.

That's probably why, it seems like people are mostly posting about things they had a little bit of trouble with instead of junk that actively stopped your progress for more than a few tries.

TBH, I think that the latter definition is quite narrow, and if we went by that, we'd either have had this thread dead already, or we wouldn't have much entries. Though TBH, I do believe most of the crap I mention do fall under that in spite of that. My definition of That One Boss is generally one that is a severe pain in the butt to get through. Like Alexei, and Tales of Vesperia's last boss's third form. Or Tales of Xillia 2's chapter 12 boss (bonus points to him for actually bringing my progress in the game to a screeching halt).

Explanation:

Alexei:

Aside from being incredibly strong, he has a Mystic Arte that, nine times out of ten, will translate to a party wipe. And since Over Limit, which is needed to use Mystic Artes, prevents staggering...

Tales of Vesperia last boss third form:

He can hit you with every status in the game, debuff your attack (note that if you're not dealing enough damage with your attacks, you'll be unable to stagger him), and can heal himself. Worse yet, he's the third in a series of fights, making it quite likely you''ll be down in items from the other two fights. And his second Mystic Arte ALSO heals him, in addition to dropping at least one party member. And did I mention the part where Big Bang, his main Mystic Arte, drops everyone to 1 HP?*

*Note: In the PS3 version, it doesn't reduce everyone's HP to one; it kills instead.

Xillia 2 chapter 12 boss:

He turns everything the protagonist can do against you, including his Super mode, and is extremely aggressive. He's also hard to start a combo on, spams guard breaking artes if you try to block him, AND he can also heal himself. The kicker? Your party formation is one that doesn't have a healer, which makes staying alive even harder than it already is (whereas said party DOES have multiple characters with a healing skill, all of them are area-of-effect ones, and that only sets you up for the boss to smack multiple party members at once).

I really feel the need to note that her armor buff can be gotten rid of by killing the minions... but that can be tricky depending on your party makeup.

Yes, if it weren't for that, players would've spent a lot more time trying to defeat her. It's still a pain for physical parties, Melia is still the best Ether user.

Yes, if it weren't for that, players would've spent a lot more time trying to defeat her. It's still a pain for physical parties, Melia is still the best Ether user.

Ayup. That's just another facet of what makes her frustrating - while Ether works well, the best Ether user is, unfortunately, one of the less useful party members in Xenoblade (IMHO, at least).

Every boss in Undertale's genocide route.

Undyne the Undying is nightmarish once she starts firing the golden lances (which need to be deflected twice, and the second time it changes its destination to hit in the back) along with her blue lances. And then she starts firing attacks solely with golden lances, very likely one-round killing the player character if he isn't a Touhou pro player.

But nothing is worse than Sans and his I Wanna Be The Guy meets Touhou attack patterns. I still have to beat him, but knowing the ending, I don't want to anymore.

[undertale spoilers from Rapier's post]

But nothing is worse than Sans and his I Wanna Be The Guy meets Touhou attack patterns. I still have to beat him, but knowing the ending, I don't want to anymore.

Right on brother. Edited by Severian