That One Boss 2.0

Draco

He's a big green guy who features as the villain in the opening scene of the game.

Yep. You're right. It is Murdaw. How do I defeat him? What levels do I need to be at? Magic? Help please?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several from Kid Icarus Uprising, especially in 9.0 difficulties

HADES' HEART. Seriously, this is one of the cheapest fights in the game, especially on 9.0. It's in a maze, its attacks are hard to dodge, and it summons a clone to run into you and eventually explode. That would be managable on its own, but once you damage Hades' real heart enough, it freaks out and starts to charge you as quickly as it can. The problem is that you cant always keep your camera on it because it's going so damn fast. And this fight is EVEN MORE of a nightmare on Boss Battle mode.

The other big one is Pit's Body. The fight is fine on low to mid difficulties, but its a nightmare on 9.0, mostly cause you have to play the chapter as Magnus, who doesn't have a ranged weapon or power attacks (i.e. no healing or super attacks). I have never beat this chapter on 9.0 due to this fight (and cause the level itself is fairly difficult due to Magnus' lack of ranged attacks.)

Also, Dark Lord Gaol in boss rush mode, both alone and comboing with Magnus later in the rush. Fast attacks, heavy damage, and able to summon Skutlers that may be able to sneak up on you or kill Magnus. Luckily, the first fight is very early in the boss rush (And Magnus does indeed help you) and in the second fight, Magnus and Gaol share HP.

This is why hard mode boss rush is hell

Also, Hollow Bastion Riku in Kingdom Hearts, Xaldin and Xigbar from Kingdom Hearts 2 all get points for being annoying (Especially since you can't skip the cutscene before Riku ugh)

There's this giant eyeball monster thing in Bravely Default. My first time through, it kept wiping out my team from full health while they're all defaulting, it was so annoying.

I tried at least a dozen dozen times over like a week, and I couldn't do it... so I sucked it up and beat the boss on Easy instead of Normal (tbh I was still getting wrecked there but I eventually lucked out), it was so shameful.

Bold: What exactly do you mean? Because I am not sure what you're talking about.

The only good fire you could have by that point is from Torchic, Torkoal/Numel/Slugma are slow as fuck, (and as I don't like Plusle/Minun/Electrike), so not picking Torchic really lowers the amount of pokemon who have a type advantage over her Skarmory

Winona's Skarmory is not really that bad. It goes down pretty easily to an electric type (Magnemite walls it) and I've even beaten it a bunch of times with a Grovyle. Altaria is way way worse because you're not going to have any good ice moves and it has Earthquake for any rock types you might have. I spent hours and hours stuck against Altaria in my first run, although it was worse for me since my best pokemon were Sceptile and Hariyama.

The only good fire you could have by that point is from Torchic, Torkoal/Numel/Slugma are slow as fuck, (and as I don't like Plusle/Minun/Electrike), so not picking Torchic really lowers the amount of pokemon who have a type advantage over her Skarmory

Okay then.

Winona's Skarmory is not really that bad. It goes down pretty easily to an electric type (Magnemite walls it) and I've even beaten it a bunch of times with a Grovyle. Altaria is way way worse because you're not going to have any good ice moves and it has Earthquake for any rock types you might have. I spent hours and hours stuck against Altaria in my first run, although it was worse for me since my best pokemon were Sceptile and Hariyama.

Also, it has Dragon Dance, which means you're in hot water if you don't drop it fast. It drops Dragon Dance and Aerial Ace in ORAS... but unfortunately for you, it replaces them with Roost and Cotton Guard, meaning if you don't have a special attacker, you're in a load of trouble.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Yep. You're right. It is Murdaw. How do I defeat him? What levels do I need to be at? Magic? Help please?

It has been too long. I don't remember there being any particular trick to beat him. Consider consulting an faq before grinding maybe.

Also, Hollow Bastion Riku in Kingdom Hearts,

Pretty much everyone I've talked to who's played this game says this fight was hard, but I've never had trouble with it at all. Especially compared to the exercise in frustration that is Dragon Maleficent right before it.

Isher from Riviera. High resistance to physical attacks, at a point where most of your weapons are physical, and to make matters worse, he can guard. And this is the first actual boss of the game. Then there's the Archangel, Marietta (Yes, she IS that same Marietta from Yggdra Union). Her Angelic Thunder can drop Ein in a single hit, and Serene fares no better. Cierra won't do much either - her attacks are mostly magical, and the Archangel has high magic. And the latter is the boss of the same chapter with the Blue Fool and the Red Sage - both of who can easily drop a party member with their Overdrives if they target the right (or wrong, depending on your interpretation) one.

Pretty much everyone I've talked to who's played this game says this fight was hard, but I've never had trouble with it at all. Especially compared to the exercise in frustration that is Dragon Maleficent right before it.

I think I found the fight with riku on the island at the beginning of the game to be more difficult.

I'd have to say Legretta in general. She has the combination of high offense, high speed to ensure that her offense gets put to use, and high defense. Oh, and she uses guns, so she has range as well, to say nothing of being able to cast powerful spells. Also, the God-Generals on Mt. Roneal, because you have to deal with her, and Arietta, who has a doll to steal for completionists, at the same time.

Rom, the Vacuous Spider

-Has a mob helping it out that deal tons of damage coupled with the arcane attacks Rom casts that are difficult to dodge at times.

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos

-Her charge attack has a HUGE hitbox so you will have to dodge around the last possible moment it can hit you. Her COSMIC LAZORS can outright kill you with just one blast if you dodge too early or late and she fire three volleys.

Blood-Letting beast 2.0

-This thing sucks. Like a lot. Funky hitboxes, funky shockwave hitboxes, loads of health, lots of you dying, and it can badly poison you. Fun.

But cheese is rampant in Bloodborne.

As for Kingdom Hearts, I saw mentions of Dragon Maleficent and Riku, but no Ursula (who's only little more than halfway through the game). So I'm gonna fix that. Round One requires you to throw magic at her cauldron to stun her, as you literally can't beat her otherwise. The issue is that the game doesn't tell you how the cauldron works. In Round Two, she constantly casts thunder spells, and you need to get in her face to do damage, which only makes it easier for her to smack you.

There's this giant eyeball monster thing in Bravely Default. My first time through, it kept wiping out my team from full health while they're all defaulting, it was so annoying.

I tried at least a dozen dozen times over like a week, and I couldn't do it... so I sucked it up and beat the boss on Easy instead of Normal (tbh I was still getting wrecked there but I eventually lucked out), it was so shameful.

I can't remember that one. If it's the third crystal's boss, then I can relate. I can't believe how many times I died to it until I decided to abuse the class gimmicks (which I should have done much sooner).

The herbalist(?) asterisk boss was also pretty hard for me.

Sabrina in RBY. Psychics were broken back then. That is all.

And then there's the King Plane, in Megaman & Bass. Your only footing is randomly appearing platforms... which the boss can destroy, the boss loves releasing bubbles with flash bombs that, if popped, will blind the screen and make it significantly more likely you'll fall into a bottomless pit and die, and it also has a laser that, if it gets the chance to fire, will eviscerate your health... not that it needs to since it's more likely you'll fall to your death instead. You will fall into a bottomless pit and die multiple times even if you utilize a few weapons-based tricks to stay in the air and/or keep damaging it.

The problem with Sabrina is that you can fight her completely out of order

Which makes it possible to use Dewgong, who is like completely broken in-game. Seriously i've seen many cases of in game performance not matching up to competitive performance, but RBY Dewgong takes the cake

Anyway

Minotaur in SMT4, mostly because the difficulty of this thing compared to everything else in the game have a really big difference in his favor

Diablos in FF8 is technically an optional battle, but if you did not know the trick(Armageddon or how Diablos works) he's kind of a hellish fight

Shagaru Magala. I never really beat him, and he's kinda bs. High HP, high damage, somewhat fast movement and all that

Solo against Gogmazios is somewhat harsh because he have so much HP

Edited by JSND

Minotaur in SMT4, mostly because the difficulty of this thing compared to everything else in the game have a really big difference in his favor

Neither Minotaur nor Medusa were seriously all that bad with a little patience each. Life does kinda start sucking after you beat them, though . . .

Edited by Tamarsamar

What is this Armageddon trick you can use on diablos? I usually just use a demi-alot.

I think it's Armageddon Fist, which has to do with Zell's Limit Break.

The problem with Sabrina is that you can fight her completely out of order

Which makes it possible to use Dewgong, who is like completely broken in-game. Seriously i've seen many cases of in game performance not matching up to competitive performance, but RBY Dewgong takes the cake

I guess, but still, it's ridiculous when people wind up sequence breaking just to have any reasonable chance against her.

Anyway...

Nameless Anomaly from Tales of Xillia. It's an aerial boss, and it makes your life hell with status effects galore. What's more, its weakness is Earth... but unfortunately for you, it loves going high in the air, making Rock Trine ineffective.

Most bosses from final fantasy 4 ds probably count. It was the first rpg I played that basisically said "Use those buffs and debuffs or die!"

Special mention goes to two bosses though. The CPU who is already quite hard, but who becomes downright impossible if you decide to follow the advice the game gives you, since that triggers a counterattack that will wipe out your party.

The other one is the demon wall with its massive hp and the ability to instant kill after a while.

Yeah, Murdaw is a pain. Mainly because you have no good moves option, especially healing.

And he was harder in the original, compared to the DS version.

Not sure if there are a lot of strategy here. Boosts your defence, lower his, heal, heal , heal again (if you still have some herbs, now the moment to use them all. Having at least one charactre decicted to full-time healing is necessary.)

Killing his minions in his final form is useless. Not sure if defeating one stop him for summoning, though...

The Final Boss on DQ6 was also a pain the first time. His final forms is in tree parts, and if you don't destroy them all in one turns, they can revive the others. I ended up using Thordain to be sure to kill them all.

In Pokémon, even if it's kinda cheating : Challenge Mode!Cheren. If you don't have Riolu, it's gonna be pretty painfull (unless you overtrain.)

You'll need to equip all the berry you got so far to win. Mareep helps too.

Otherwise, the worst boss ever is without a doubt the Big Rat in Final Fantasy 3 (both versions).

Firstof all, they thought it would be good to have a boss battle when you're afflicted by one of the worst status effect : Mini.

For those who don't know, Mini makes you takes tons of damage for physical attacks, and deals nearly nothing with magical ones.

So you needs a team full of mages (Blacks, White or Red).

Besides, in this game your magic is limited depending on your level, so, if one miss... (which randomly happens in the original.) You're in trouble.

Add to this that the remakes thought it was a great idea to punish you for changing job... In a game where it's the main point.

Hyne/Hein can be somewhat trouble, since it forces you tio use the awfull Scholar Class to beat him.

And in the remake, I was unable to beat ark Cloud without cheating.

On to SRPGs...

The last battle against Vanessa, the Fire Witch in Luminous Arc. Up until that point (and even afterwards), the game have been awfully easy, and then comes this battle.

The problem isn't Vanessa herself, but the fire spirits that accompany her. They are swarming you and each comes with a multitarget fire spells.

Besides, Vanessa have the higher ground, and you don't have that much space to move.

Without a doubt,the hardest battle on the game.

Luminous Arc 2 is a litttle harder, but still not that challenging. The final boss is absolutely hellish though, because the Final Boss have auto-regain, and powerfull multi-hit skills, notably a skill that hits everyone in front of her, forcing you to use very specific characters to have a chance to damage it.

On to SRPGs...

The last battle against Vanessa, the Fire Witch in Luminous Arc. Up until that point (and even afterwards), the game have been awfully easy, and then comes this battle.

The problem isn't Vanessa herself, but the fire spirits that accompany her. They are swarming you and each comes with a multitarget fire spells.

Besides, Vanessa have the higher ground, and you don't have that much space to move.

Without a doubt,the hardest battle on the game.

Luminous Arc 2 is a litttle harder, but still not that challenging. The final boss is absolutely hellish though, because the Final Boss have auto-regain, and powerfull multi-hit skills, notably a skill that hits everyone in front of her, forcing you to use very specific characters to have a chance to damage it.

That one's worse than you're making it out to be - your healers are both rather slow, AND they're weak to fire, which the Hikopins spam (I THINK you have Lucia by then, but I can't remember). Even worse, they have Heatwave, meaning up to 5 of your units can get hit. What's more, Gul and Gal are strengthened by the thunder floors in the area.

As for LA2, I'd also mention Pop/Potpourri. Her high speed means even a back attack has a good chance to whiff, and she WILL target Roland with her flash drive if she gets it off, which is very bad news, since you lose if he goes down. Oh, and she hits like a truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently replayed the game, I feel I must discuss SpongeBob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom. While I find them easy now, when I was a kid, Robo Patrick and Robo SpongeBob were both incredibly tough.

For Patrick it is most notably his third phase. You must aim a bowling ball attack from a moving conveyor belt, the bowling ball being difficult enough to aim on its own.

For SpongeBob, definitely the second half of the fight where you have to contend with Robo Plankton at the same time. You must take Plankton out with the guided missile, and your window of opportunity only allows you one shot per round. It's also rather difficult to aim and likes to run around things rather than hitting them.

Sylph from Tales of Eternia. While most other Greater Craymels fight alone, he DOESN'T. What's more, not unlike is the case with the Nameless Anomaly, Grave won't hit him since he's an aerial enemy. Also, he gets Cyclone oh harder difficulties.

Looking back, I have no idea how I had trouble with this fight, but as a kid, I just couldn't beat Giga Gaia in Chrono Trigger. I was stuck on that fight for months. It seems kind of ridiculous since Ayla and Crono's Falcon Strike Dual Tech gets rid of his hands really easily, but I didn't have that Dual Tech my first playthrough for some reason. Probably from running from too many battles or something. I had to look up a Chrono Trigger LP on Youtube to finally figure out how to beat him. That's how I was introduced to NintendoCapriSun actually.

Pit's Body in Kid Icarus: Uprising was just the worst experience ever on 9.0. Having no ranged attacks or powers just make it even more irritating, since you can't even cheese the fight in any way. (Dark Pit can at least be somewhat cheesed with Play Dead for comparison.) Hades' Heart without Slip Shot is also a massive pain.