General US Politics

Ansem

9 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of Trump's promises, do you all think that he intends to send Hillary to jail, as he promised?

nope

[“It’s just not something that I feel very strongly about,” Trump told reporters and columnists at The New York Times Tuesday afternoon. “I don’t want to hurt the Clintons, I really don’t. She went through a lot and suffered greatly in many different ways.”

Trump told the Times, regarding his supporters, “I don’t think they’ll be disappointed.”]

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump will not restrict LGBT rights and keep Obama's orders.

I have no idea anymore. There's the Steve Bannon bullshit that scares the shit out of me, there's this (a net neutral) and Sean Spicer unironically agreeing with an onion article... that states he spreads misinformation. I honestly think the scariest thing is that a coup or complete incompetence are equally likely.

The "coup" isn't even that secret if they're attempting it...

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

I'm curious, when people say coup, what do they think Trump will do?

Is it really possible for Trump to seize power indefinitely?

there's this medium article floating around that takes a bunch of observable facts, and then interprets/explains them with half-baked conspiracy theory and everyone is eating it up for some reason

Edited by Radiant head

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

It's namely a "stay vigilant" call to me. Bannon being in Trump's inner circle is an incredibly dangerous thing regardless of the severity of outcome.

This. 

As a permanent resident, I feel the need to be especially cautious.

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

Trump will not restrict LGBT rights and keep Obama's orders.

I have no idea anymore. There's the Steve Bannon bullshit that scares the shit out of me, there's this (a net neutral) and Sean Spicer unironically agreeing with an onion article... that states he spreads misinformation. I honestly think the scariest thing is that a coup or complete incompetence are equally likely.

The "coup" isn't even that secret if they're attempting it...

Good news on the LGBTQ front, although the cynic inside me says it's another distraction/way to lull the opposition. As for your bolded sentence; yes, exactly! I feel as if we're dealing with a complete unknown.

4 hours ago, Yojinbo said:

Trump has displayed his blatant incompetence on several occasions during the election campaign for everybody to see. Why people would regret their choice all of a sudden now that Trump actually keeps his promises [or at least tries to] is beyond me. All he's doing is trying to implement what he's been talking about for a long time now, people who voted him must've wanted it to be that way.

Yes. He continues to do exactly what he said he'd do.

Betsy DeVos confirmed for Secretary of Education. This is disappointing, although not surprising, to me. And tax credits aren't going to be of any benefit to the majority of parents.

This is really... something. A Syrian couple who voted for Trump just had all their relatives deported

Assali said her vote for Donald Trump was done out of a desire to see secure borders, though she didn’t expect one of her candidate’s chief campaign promises to be applied to her relatives, who are all Orthodox Christians with green cards. Even though White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus recently stated that Trump’s order wouldn’t apply to green card holders, Assali’s relatives were nonetheless forced to board the next flight to Syria despite waiting over a decade to be with their family in the United States.

Edited by Res

I didn't know Donald Trump filed for his re-election on the day he was sworn in.  (About five hours after the inauguration to be exact.)  Since this technically makes him a candidate any non profit organization speaking against him could be putting themselves at risk.  He also has access to the other benefits available to those with candidate status too including the ability to gather funds in the name of the next election which could be used as a loop hole to make indisputable pockets of money.  Talk about crafty.

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/569/201701209041436569/201701209041436569.pdf

3 hours ago, Res said:

This. 

As a permanent resident, I feel the need to be especially cautious.

Good news on the LGBTQ front, although the cynic inside me says it's another distraction/way to lull the opposition. As for your bolded sentence; yes, exactly! I feel as if we're dealing with a complete unknown.

Yes. He continues to do exactly what he said he'd do.

Betsy DeVos confirmed for Secretary of Education. This is disappointing, although not surprising, to me. And tax credits aren't going to be of any benefit to the majority of parents.

This is really... something. A Syrian couple who voted for Trump just had all their relatives deported

They also promised more security towards Christian refugees!

God I am imagining a world where everyone is woke as fuck, Trump just farts around for four years, and Bannon is put in front of a firing squad, and the Neo-Nazis remain a fringe.

Also Trump's disapproval ratings have risen to 57% when I checked this morning. They'll keep going up.

EDIT: kind of an interesting read, seems protests are working: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/behind-closed-doors-republican-lawmakers-fret-about-how-to-repeal-obamacare/2017/01/27/deabdafa-e491-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html

Edited by Lord Raven

5 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Sean Spicer unironically agreeing with an onion article... that states he spreads misinformation.

That was pretty clearly a sarcastic tweet. You seriously read that unironically?

Hmm, let's see the amount of autistic screeching.

*checks*

Oh man, more salt here than in the Dead Sea. This is great. The next four years are going to be amazing while the God King Emperor sits on the throne.

On a serious matter, I (as an Israeli) cannot travel to 16 different countries. Full ban. Not even temporary. Just no. That's foreign policy. Deal with it.

Also, we should all be praising Trump for killing the TPP and preserving Westphalian sovereignty. Had he not done that, the whole world order would have slowly changed to where governments are accountable to corporations rather than the people they serve. I'm still working my way through the TPP but the world dodged a bullet on this one.

Anyway, time to go back to my new mining operation.

46 minutes ago, Balcerzak said:

That was pretty clearly a sarcastic tweet. You seriously read that unironically?

Based on what? It being absurd? The administration is already absurd - Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway have already had enough blunders that it's well within reasonable to see he's being serious especially since he hasn't said otherwise to my knowledge. "He's clearly being sarcastic" is still not clear, because the same guy said "you can disagree with facts." I also don't know why you came in to say this specifically when there's more important issues being talked about.

28 minutes ago, Pepe The Conquerer said:

*checks*

Oh man, more salt here than in the Dead Sea. This is great. The next four years are going to be amazing while the God King Emperor sits on the throne.

I don't think you understand how unfunny you are. I mean "autistic"? Really? Because we hate the president and are vocal about it? Aren't you the one who bitches when people attempt to argue with you? That we are shutting you down when in reality you just can't take the heat?

On a serious matter, I (as an Israeli) cannot travel to 16 different countries. Full ban. Not even temporary. Just no.

You also can't make a coherent point. Doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't make coherent points either. This has little to do with the discussion and is not constructive, is the point I am making.

Should people not be able to do things because you can't? That is why nobody cares what you, personally, can or can't do.

This is equivalent to you being unable to go back to Canada because you are a legal resident of Israel, despite having a green card or being a resident of Canada. If it was a straight up green card and/or visa freeze, there would not be protests, but instead the ban includes green card holders. The protests were over green card/visa holders being stopped at the airport and detained indefinitely, and situations where families are separated despite people having permanent residence, as well as bans towards people who have, for instance, never set foot in a country they're banned in due to lack of opt-out citizenship. Also a lack of consistency in bans when Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are not on that list. Knowing you, you haven't read anything and you just assume it's liberal bitching rather than a poorly thought out order.

That's foreign policy. Deal with it.

No. It's shitty foreign policy. If you're going to just post things like this, I seriously wonder why you come back to post at all. You haven't responded to anything from a week ago, and you just came back to suck off the president some more.

Edited by Lord Raven

Life, this is not about you, has never been about you, and never will be about you. If I recall correctly, you're not even American. Stop making everything about you in a thread that's about the political situation of another country, especially if you're just going to come in and dismiss anything said in-thread anyway.

35 minutes ago, Comrade said:

*checks*

On a serious matter, I (as an Israeli) cannot travel to 16 different countries. Full ban. Not even temporary. Just no. That's foreign policy. Deal with it.

Also, we should all be praising Trump for killing the TPP and preserving Westphalian sovereignty. Had he not done that, the whole world order would have slowly changed to where governments are accountable to corporations rather than the people they serve. I'm still working my way through the TPP but the world dodged a bullet on this one.

Anyway, time to go back to my new mining operation.

It's time to stop drinking, Life

Yeah, Trump "killing" TPP is a good thing, but it was more or less dead already. Good thing, too.

It's also like the only thing I've approved of him doing.

The rest is goading and can be safely dismissed. It's not as if it's just "duh liberal tears", he has like, above a 50% disapproval rating right now.

1 hour ago, Balcerzak said:

He was only pretending to be dumb?

Edited by Tryhard

42 minutes ago, Comrade said:

*checks*

The fact that the first thing you have to say after a long hiatus is referencing the autistic screeching meme says a lot.

Seriously, you complained about this thread being 'toxic' a while back and then you start of your post with these shitty and aggressively unfunny statements that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion and serve no other purpose than to be inflammatory, and then you wonder why people act so aggressive towards you. Nevermind the fact that you missed the entire point of why people are getting upset about the travel ban. 

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

9 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Can't believe you guys actually replied to that.

There's no reason not to. It's a very easy post to respond to.

EDIT: it's better than grading.

Edited by Lord Raven

36 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Based on what? It being absurd? The administration is already absurd - Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway have already had enough blunders that it's well within reasonable to see he's being serious especially since he hasn't said otherwise to my knowledge. "He's clearly being sarcastic" is still not clear, because the same guy said "you can disagree with facts." I also don't know why you came in to say this specifically when there's more important issues being talked about.

2 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

There's no reason not to. It's a very easy post to respond to.

But if you need more: "Nailed it. Period!"

"Nailed it," is a direct reference to point 5 of the Onion video, "Does he nail the pocket square, or does he nail the pocket square?" showing that he clearly watched the video and didn't just retweet without checking it out. And "period!" is a playful callback to one of his most picked-on mannerisms from speeches so far. It's technically possible it was genuine, because I don't know what actually goes on in his head, but all signs point to sarcasm. Further, the tweet is still on proud display, unlike some of his others, like those mysterious alphanumerics that were tweeted and deleted.

33 minutes ago, Balcerzak said:

But if you need more: "Nailed it. Period!"

"Nailed it," is a direct reference to point 5 of the Onion video, "Does he nail the pocket square, or does he nail the pocket square?" showing that he clearly watched the video and didn't just retweet without checking it out. And "period!" is a playful callback to one of his most picked-on mannerisms from speeches so far. It's technically possible it was genuine, because I don't know what actually goes on in his head, but all signs point to sarcasm. Further, the tweet is still on proud display, unlike some of his others, like those mysterious alphanumerics that were tweeted and deleted.

Yeah, it's on proud display, those alphanumeric were likely his password to something so I doubt he really knows everything about the Internet subculture. This is the guy who says you can believe any fact you want to believe so he really has made plenty of blunders he sticks by. He's even lied himself, so unless he's poking fun at himself for being a liar or thinking he's telling the truth (doesn't seem likely, though he has an alternate set of truths) I really don't believe he's being sarcastic. There's enough signs both ways.

I'm also not sure what your purpose really is for pointing this out. It's either a tweet showing how dumb he is or if he's being sarcastic - he's still lied and said stupid shit over the past week, so it's a poorly placed sarcastic tweet. At best it shows a lack of self-awareness.

Edited by Lord Raven

9 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

My b with approval, its 42% approval and various sources say between 49-52% disapprove.

www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

for one poll.

It's around 50%, but I think what's more interesting is the statistics of how many days it took to reach a majority (50%+) disapproval rating compared to the other recent presidents.

Reagan: 727 Bush I: 1336 Clinton: 573 Bush II: 1205 Obama: 936 Trump: 8

2 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

It's around 50%, but I think what's more interesting is the statistics of how many days it took to reach a majority (50%+) disapproval rating compared to the other recent presidents.

Reagan: 727 Bush I: 1336 Clinton: 573 Bush II: 1205 Obama: 936 Trump: 8

I think I saw something on that just a while earlier. And yeah, that's ridiculous how fast he's reached majority disapproval rating already. I'm not sure if any future president will be able to beat that record.

The "liberals" complain about the way the State of Israel treat Palestinians, they're anti semits who hate jews and Israel

Trump nominates a new nazi who believes that "jews control all media" and all sorts of anti semitic conspirancy theories to a very important cabinet, gets support of a lot of hardcore neo nazis all over america who raly in his support and Life feels the need to defend all his actions and provoke anyone who complains about his policies.

i'll never understand what goes on the head of someone who thinks like this, other than doing it just to spite others.

Edited by Nobody