General US Politics

Ansem

...I'm pretty sure there was a case on that, and the Supreme Court ruled line-item vetoes are unconstitutional. 

Which you'd think would be a thing that any president with a basic understanding of the powers and responsibilities of his office--a sense of seriousness about his job--would know.  

_________

EDIT: here it is: Clinton v. City of New York

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1997/97-1374

The line item veto is unconstitutional because it violates the Presentment Clause of the Constitution, which gives Congress the power to draft proposed legislation and submit it to the president for his signature. And gives the President ONLY the power to sign or reject the proposed legislation presented to him by Congress.

Allowing the President to take a presented bill and sign part of it into law, but remove parts he doesn't like, is essentially allowing the president to exercise legislative drafting powers outside the purview and legislative procedure of Congress.

Which is a clear usurpation of the legislative power, and not something a President is permitted to do. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1.3 trillion is now going down the shitter to fund the government for 6 months. Close to what might be 5% of our national debt is funding the government for only half of the year. I hope the Senate gets woke and the House gets cleaned this election cycle. Hopefully, Phil Bredesen is elected senator so that he can keep Lamar Alexander in line with the state and not his party.

that number actually isn't that ridiculous, historically speaking. also, with our debt issue, it's quite overblown. there's plenty of countries in far worse conditions. what's important is that we're stable and super duper rich. (we're both.)

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

EDIT: here it is: Clinton v. City of New York

exactly--this is the man his top legal advisor had to deal with. it'd be hilarious if it weren't so frustrating.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I still am floored by how outright lies by the white house are just considered normal now.

Sarah Sanders can literally say "they have a good working relationship and there are no changes" only for him to be fired hours later and no one bats an eye.

Like, seriously, I know politicians lying has always been a thing, but this is just getting ridiculous.

14 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

I still am floored by how outright lies by the white house are just considered normal now.

Sarah Sanders can literally say "they have a good working relationship and there are no changes" only for him to be fired hours later and no one bats an eye.

Like, seriously, I know politicians lying has always been a thing, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Well....it kinda is normal after more than a year of outright lies coming from the white house. Didn't they already start their very first press release by lying about the size of the inauguration crowd?

Well as long as there are people stupid enough to believe then it will continue.  Pretty much Trump has brainwashed his feeble minded followers that everyone is out to get him.  That everything is fake news and a conspiracy, blah blah blah.  

The bloated walrus is out playing golf in Florida instead of listening to the rally.  What a joke of a president.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/382341-fbi-raids-trump-lawyers-office

The FBI has reportedly raided the office of President Trumps personal lawyer, Michael Cohen.

The bureau raided Cohen's office on Monday and seized records related to several topics, including the $130,000 payment he arranged to adult film star Stormy Daniels days before the election, The New York Times reported.

Daniels says the payment was "hush money" intended to keep her quiet about an alleged affair with Trump.

Cohen's lawyer said the federal prosecutors obtained a search warrant after a referral from special counsel Robert Mueller. 

DEVELOPING

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/382341-fbi-raids-trump-lawyers-office

The FBI has reportedly raided the office of President Trumps personal lawyer, Michael Cohen.

The bureau raided Cohen's office on Monday and seized records related to several topics, including the $130,000 payment he arranged to adult film star Stormy Daniels days before the election, The New York Times reported.

Daniels says the payment was "hush money" intended to keep her quiet about an alleged affair with Trump.

Cohen's lawyer said the federal prosecutors obtained a search warrant after a referral from special counsel Robert Mueller. 

DEVELOPING

The funny thing is that this wasn't even a normal warrant, it was a special no-knock warrant, which are issued specifically in cases where the prosecutors fear that important documents might go mysteriously missing otherwise (they also paid a visit to his office, house and hotel room all at once for probably the same reason).

It's rather difficult to even get the permission to perform one of those, as you need a mountain of evidence that some kind of illegal activity happened and that Cohen, the lawyer in question, either broke the law himself or counseled his client Trump in doing so. Long story short: It's rather likely that Cohen will suffer from some slight problems soon.

supporting that sentiment: apparently, there are docs that contain conversations between trump and cohen, which is usually protected. they need special permission (supposedly special agents as well) to review them.

10 hours ago, Sias said:

The funny thing is that this wasn't even a normal warrant, it was a special no-knock warrant, which are issued specifically in cases where the prosecutors fear that important documents might go mysteriously missing otherwise (they also paid a visit to his office, house and hotel room all at once for probably the same reason).

It's rather difficult to even get the permission to perform one of those, as you need a mountain of evidence that some kind of illegal activity happened and that Cohen, the lawyer in question, either broke the law himself or counseled his client Trump in doing so. Long story short: It's rather likely that Cohen will suffer from some slight problems soon.

Worth noting that the only other Trump affiliate under special investigation to have a no-knock warrant executed against them--so far as we know--was Paul Manafort. 

Manafort, of course, is in some deep, deep shit right now.

Eh, I'm more worried about what the USA is considering regarding Syria.

There are lots of reasons why I don't want a military strike in Syria but first and foremost has to do with the fact that anything that grants Bibi positive press is not good. I'm waiting for the corruption indictments (and I will celebrate when the AG announces them) and a war is going to rock that boat.

That being said, Bibi isn't the most dangerous MK in this country (that award goes to Ayelet Shaked). So who knows?

EDIT: As an aside, it is important to note that if any single document from the FBI's raid gets leaked to the media, Mueller can be criminally prosecuted for using the FBI to violate the 4th Amendment of a private citizen (Cohen). Mueller had BETTER have something relating to collusion with Russia or he could potentially go to jail himself.

Edited by Life

Interesting Addendum:

The raid was not carried out by Mueller or his team directly, but was instead carried out by Geoffery Berhman, US Attorney for the District of New York, a Trump appointee.

Two things can be inferred from this:

1. It will be difficult to go after Mueller in regards to this matter, as it was not carried out by his office. Even if Trump wants to fire Mueller, he does have to give  a written explanation for why, and there are only 5 or so reasons that can be used.

2. Berhman apparently didn't inform Trump of what he was doing, and appears to be cooperating with Mueller. This is yet another person who has sided with Mueller against expectations. What does he know that we don't?

23 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

Interesting Addendum:

The raid was not carried out by Mueller or his team directly, but was instead carried out by Geoffery Berhman, US Attorney for the District of New York, a Trump appointee.

Two things can be inferred from this:

1. It will be difficult to go after Mueller in regards to this matter, as it was not carried out by his office. Even if Trump wants to fire Mueller, he does have to give  a written explanation for why, and there are only 5 or so reasons that can be used.

2. Berhman apparently didn't inform Trump of what he was doing, and appears to be cooperating with Mueller. This is yet another person who has sided with Mueller against expectations. What does he know that we don't?

I'm hearing that the matter was delegated down to the NY District Attorney by Mueller, but that the investigation into Cohen originated with the special prosecutor's office and that the authorization for the raid came directly from Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein (i.e. the top Justice Department official who appointed Mueller after Sessions recused himself, and who is overseeing the Mueller team)

...now to the extent Mueller's mandate to investigate includes all crimes arising out of the 2016 election.

...and to the extent Cohen is now under investigation for violating campaign finance laws in his payment to Stormy Daniels, and allegedly coercing her to accept the payments + sign a nondisclosure agreement with death threats (i.e. crimes arising out of the 2016 election)

The fact that Mueller is delegating that down to the NY District Attorney instead of tending to it himself tells me Mueller has bigger fish to fry. His team would be personally prosecuting Cohen, if they didn't have anything better to do.

They aren't. 
Which means they're focusing hard on the bigger investigation into obstruction of justice and money laundering through the Russians and conspiracy against the United States; that investigation is still, very, very active and Mueller believes there's still more legwork that needs to go into bringing all the loose threads together.

^^^ corrected by @Phoenix Wright

Word out is that Mueller is expecting to have a report of his findings prepared for public presentation by July.

And that the push to prosecute or pardon the persons identified therein as criminal actors--whether by coincidence, or by design--is going to coincide with peak campaigning season for the 2018 midterms.    

Edited by Shoblongoo

It is funny how Trump cries 'witch hunt' about anything negative relating to or said about him.  What is even funnier is how many of his supporters blindly believe him.  I guess this is how dictators are born, essentially brainwashing the people to only believe what you say and ignore everything else.  I hope the sleazebag goes down soon.  It's already a huge embarrassment and black mark in US history.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

You've got someone running for Senate as a Republican on the simple platform of "stand with the president". 

At this point in time, the United States is a circus show.

LMAO

"He voted for Obama... or Hillary?"

Are you asking us, or telling us? 'Cause you don't sound super sure about that.

"He definitely voted for one of them... I think. Not sure which."

2 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

At this point in time, the United States is a circus show.

There is literally a show about present politics called The Circus.  

I generally avoid Serious Discussion. Partly out of a, largely irrational (I hope!) fear that in the 10th year of the present administration they'll see this topic on this site and find out who I am and "interrogate" me a little. I love living- rather be a sheep under a crooked shepherd than a resistant martyr in a doomed world. I think that is normal.

There is also not wanting to see the real and political side of SFers I know and love in other topics. Although I do see at least one or two forum goers who I would not mind and could feasibly arrange a meeting with IRL. Not that I'd be interested in letting anyone see me with my SF persona down.

Paul Ryan retiring from Congress. Thats Huge. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/us/politics/paul-ryan-speaker.html

Highest ranking Republican in The House of Represnatives. Generally viewed as a voice of the GOPs more moderate factions + a check against the more extreme conservative elements. And--at 48 years old--extraordinarily young for a national party leader. This was a guy who had decades of career service left in him.

His departure leaves a significant leadership vacuum in The House. An open question as to whats going to fill that vacuum when the dust settles. More questions as to whether the new Republican Leader in the House is going to be a complete Trump lackey, or an institutionalist who will support rule-of-law. (Ryan was notably the highest ranking Republican publicly stating that Trump MUST respect the integrity of the Mueller Investigation, pushing back against the smear campaign against the Justice Department and the FBI, and signalling that firing Mueller would be an unacceptable redline + a point at which Republicans would have to stand against the president. This is not a position shared by more partisan members of The House.)

Also the clearest signal to date that Republicans are in for a vigorous ass-pounding in the November midterms. Majority Leaders don't call it quits when things are looking rosy.     

Edited by Shoblongoo

Disagree honestly, speaker is a role notorious for taking the heat for every bad thing that happens, and Ryan may have just realized that he no longer stands to gain anything as trump continues to torpedoe the GOP's rep. Similarly, boehner leaving didn't really have any large consequences, he was just...done 

its a bad look for sure though, but maybe won't be a decisive factor in midterms 

15 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

Disagree honestly, speaker is a role notorious for taking the heat for every bad thing that happens, and Ryan may have just realized that he no longer stands to gain anything as trump continues to torpedoe the GOP's rep. Similarly, boehner leaving didn't really have any large consequences, he was just...done 

its a bad look for sure though, but maybe won't be a decisive factor in midterms 

I don't think its a factor, in the sense that people are going to base their vote on Paul Ryan retiring.

I think its an indicator, in the sense that Paul Ryan is retiring (at least in part) because his internal polls are showing that the Republicans are about to lose the House. 

And the only thing worse than being a moderate House Republican Leader--in the age of Trump--is being a moderate House Republican Leader with Democrats in control of the committees and the subpoena power and the investigations that Republicans have spent the past year trying to sweep under the rug.

Hes getting out of dodge before that shit-grenade goes off. He doesn't want to deal with it. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Trump did receive a poll popularity boost with the tax cuts and improving economy though. Unless he pulls the trigger on the trade wars, that might help Republicans out a little.

But how much can we predict by the Fall? For all we know the investigation could collapse and Iran invaded. There is a unrelenting sea of chaos and who knows what will happen?

35 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

I agree with you. Ryan's just tired, and honestly, who wouldn't be?

Sure, maybe his district gets flipped, but people predicting a Democratic house or senate are way, way too optimistic. Sure, Alabama and Virginia flipped, but those both had extenuating circumstances. Democrats are on a major defensive in the midterms, and it's going to take a lot to get a majority.

Honestly, though, they need it. No one party should hold all three branches, ever, I don't care which side you support.