QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

born again and dehumanizer are great albums. i included dehumanizer in the 'dio years' despite the 10 year gap. my bad on my lack of clarity. i also just plain forgot about born again and ian gillan's greatness.

i think i dislike tony martin enough to blow this out of proportion lol.

on another note, though, rush and pink floyd are definitely two of the best bands of all time, or at least in prog rock, but they both have a few albums that just don't deliver. i've never listened to floyd's "a momentary lapse of reason," in full (actually only a few), but i know it's infamous for being a disappointment

Born Again isn't really a good album at all imho... Just a few months ago, I showed Disturbing the Priest to Dad when we were having some beers, and after getting a kick out of Gillan's wicked laughter again I quickly realised the song really goes nowhere and is hard to enjoy in full, and it's supposed to be the highlight of the album... That's not something I can say about most of the songs Sabbath recorded in the first 6 (right?) records.

I can't say I hate Martin's vocals at all; if anything, you can imagine Dio singing all of his tracks, and Martin's delivery is just less over-the-top in contrast. I mean come on, listen to Nightwing or Anno Mundi again and tell me these aren't good tunes. The problem is that Iommi just ran out of the good riffs at some time in his career (somewhat rejuvenated for the Dio albums in both eras). But if you remember this is the guy that founded Doom Metal and actually produced top-notch tracks that My Dying Bride and Candlemass couldn't quite top 20 years later, you can forgive him the degradation, somewhat expected of a rock artist.

As for the two progrock bands you mentioned (these have never been my favourites); IMHO Rush have always remained good musicians, which may not always quite be enough to produce lasting, memorable music, and Pink Floyd pretty much stopped music of universal value after The Wall... and I gotta say I haven't been able to enjoy most of that record ever. Big Animals and Wish You Were Here fan, though.

As for the two progrock bands you mentioned (these have never been my favourites); IMHO Rush have always remained good musicians, which may not always quite be enough to produce lasting, memorable music, and Pink Floyd pretty much stopped music of universal value after The Wall... and I gotta say I haven't been able to enjoy most of that record ever. Big Animals and Wish You Were Here fan, though.

yeah, Animals and WYWH are the best PF albums. take notes, kids.

Rush... i have less patience than most for Rush because my dad is the "why can't every band play their instruments like Rush/Tool??" sort; i'm the "Pavement is one of the best bands ever" indie kid sort - different strokes. over the years, i've listened to every Rush album - they have like 20 jfc - multiple times with my dad in his truck, and i could do without all of it except maybe "Tom Sawyer" and a few bits and pieces (the solo and drumming on "La Villa Strangiato," some of the "2112" riffs, but not much else).

Your dad sounds like one of the 14 year old classic rock fans you find on the internet, except I guess it's the 14 year old classic rock fans that tend to imitate their fathers. I haven't until now stopped for a moment to realise that Tool fans are now old enough to have adult children of their own, though.

I haven't until now stopped for a moment to realise that Tool fans are now old enough to have adult children of their own, though.

yo i remember listening to a tool album my dad liked when i was a baby

I can't say I hate Martin's vocals at all; if anything, you can imagine Dio singing all of his tracks, and Martin's delivery is just less over-the-top in contrast. I mean come on, listen to Nightwing or Anno Mundi again and tell me these aren't good tunes. The problem is that Iommi just ran out of the good riffs at some time in his career (somewhat rejuvenated for the Dio albums in both eras). But if you remember this is the guy that founded Doom Metal and actually produced top-notch tracks that My Dying Bride and Candlemass couldn't quite top 20 years later, you can forgive him the degradation, somewhat expected of a rock artist.

i really love ian, hence my linking of born again will be different from most. i can definitely see why people don't enjoy born again. i don't listen to the album much at all, but when i do it's a treat. i mostly stick with deep purple.

i can hear an obvious difference in their voices, as well as their styles, but they're somewhat similar when yelling. compared to most people i've talked to about rock (older metal especially), i'm way more picky about singers than most are, though. nightwing is an okay song, but i think the songwriting and composition of martin-era sabbath is lackluster. i listened to nightwing again while typing this out, and wasn't really impressed. then again, i really don't care for much metal music to begin with, so that may be why i can't get into the stylistic changes of post-osbourne/dio. (when i actually do listen to metal, it's usually 70s stuff, maiden, or bands that sound very similar to 70s stuff like the sword.)

i can definitely forgive iommi. he's my personal favorite heavy metal guitarist.

Rush... i have less patience than most for Rush because my dad is the "why can't every band play their instruments like Rush/Tool??" sort; i'm the "Pavement is one of the best bands ever" indie kid sort - different strokes. over the years, i've listened to every Rush album - they have like 20 jfc - multiple times with my dad in his truck, and i could do without all of it except maybe "Tom Sawyer" and a few bits and pieces (the solo and drumming on "La Villa Strangiato," some of the "2112" riffs, but not much else).

i love rush but don't particularly enjoy tool at all. they've got a couple of good songs, though.

also this is hilarious because i usually dislike pavement, but love rush. you remind me of my roommate! though our taste in music mostly overlaps, he absolutely loves those mid 80s/90s era bands (dinosaur jr, modest mouse, pixies, etc) and doesn't care for rush all that much.

Hmm... I can't really say I think any of JYJ's albums/songs were the "worse" or anything... So...

And I figured I might have some to name from KAT-TUN but after looking at their records, I can't say I do. Maybe one of the artist's song "MAKE U WET"?

i'm not a fan of how sarah mclachlan become mediocre after afterglow, subsequently a bad parody of herself after laws of illusion

QUESTION SIX HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN: What's a great song/album/whatever by a band you otherwise do not care for?

wee

Edited by Integrity

wee

it looks like people don't have an answer to this =o

it's just that I'm sure I have an answer to this but I just can't remember

Edited by Freohr Datia

That pasta recipe Kelsper/Tryhard gave me. It was really great!

cheers bruv

@616: Mr. Brightside by The Killers

or Teenagers by My Chemical Romance (i wouldn't like any other mcr song and rather ashamed that i do like one so there's that)

i didn't care much for Semisonics actual one hit wonder in Closing Time

their favorite song of mine actually is a less known song of theirs called Singing in my Sleep

i can't think of albums i enjoy for a band i dislike--maybe the black album from metallica? (not a huge fan of thrash hence why i sort of like their sellout album.)

smash mouth definitely comes to mind, though. i went to a free concert once and they actually were really awesome people. i only enjoyed their hits, though, and they played for an hr. so musically, i still think they're aren't very good.

i legitimately enjoy miss you from blink 182. and fat lip from sum-41, though i think that's just nostalgia. i dislike both of those bands.

i made pretzel brats and they were dank

QUESTION SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN: What was the worst album/song/period by an artist you otherwise really like?

music question!

Oh, umm definitely Watershed by Opeth. That shit was just boring. At least Heritage and the latest one arent that bad despite being different from older Opeth. Watershed was just...ugh what a slog.

And anything lately from Aesthetic Perfection. Their last two records just smell. Really bad.

I haven't until now stopped for a moment to realise that Tool fans are now old enough to have adult children of their own, though.

tumblr_n0dw30vpFP1qhtpi8o1_250.gif

Sweet GERD. I remember when Undertow came out and it was a really big deal and junk. My brother and I wouldnt stop listening to it for weeks.

yo i remember listening to a tool album my dad liked when i was a baby

jsfhjdfsjdhfsdkfjsdkfdsjf

*shifts uncomfortably in mummy dust*

i'm not a fan of how sarah mclachlan become mediocre after afterglow, subsequently [a]a bad parody of herself[/b] after laws of illusion

QUESTION SIX HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN: What's a great song/album/whatever by a band you otherwise do not care for?

wee

Hmmm... Im pretty down with System Of A Down's Toxicity album. Everything else by them makes me wince. Im also ok with that one Owl City song that was hella popular a while back. Hell if i could recall the name of it.